Chronicles Of Narnia Fan Fiction ❯ My Promise ❯ The beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
So here it is ...Disclaimer: I do not own Susan, but I do own the plot, Danni and all the other characters (except Hailey she's my cousin)….Thanks to those that review. Lots of thanks to my beta Hidden Valor!
My Promise
Preface
They say she’s crazy, that she’s terribly ugly and afraid to show her face, that she has no family, nobody to call her own. Well I guess that last one is kind of true. But I know the truth, and those first three rumors are far from it. Here's our story.....
1978
It was the summer I turned 11, my family and I had decided to go stay with my mother’s sister Ren at her home in Crawley, England. The transition to living in a different place was made pretty easy since I was able to make friends quickly and was usually out of the house doing things with them. I was out walking one day when I saw a little gray house with white trim and curtains with a black roof on the end of Chadler Street. Being there for so long of, course I’d heard the rumors, but I’d never really believed them. Instead, being the curious child I was, I decided to take a closer look.
When I did get closer, I found that the window was open and the curtains, that I had at first thought where just plain white actually had a lovely flower pattern embroidered into them, were drawn. That’s when I saw her, and in all honesty there was nothing ugly about her; she was actually quite pretty, probably the beauty of her time. She looked about in her forties with brown–almost black–hair speckled with gray, dark brown eyes, and very few wrinkles. My parents had raised me right, so I knew it wasn’t right to spy on her; I turned around and started the journey back to Aunt Ren’s house.
Three days later, I was at Christine and Hailey’s house with all of our other friends for a sleepover when we started a game of truth or dare. It began with mostly truths and a few dares, but then we got to my turn. My friends dared me to go to the lady who lived at the end of the street. When I got to her house, I was to ring the door bell and introduce myself to her. Now this might not seem like a very daring thing to do, but everyone thought she was crazy, so that was quite daring to them.
So I went to her house.
To say that I wasn’t nervous would be a lie; I mean you’re going to visit a stranger who is possibly unstable, even if she doesn’t look like it. Wouldn’t you be nervous too? When I got to her house, after preparing myself to ring the doorbell and introduce myself, I went up to the door only to hear a gentle voice coming from the side of the house asking me what I needed. Needless to say I spun around very fast and almost fell off the porch, until two hands caught me.
“Whoa there sweetie you okay?” When I turned around I saw the lady I had seen earlier in the week, dressed in a pair of old jeans and a button up shirt with a pair of gardening gloves in one hand.
“Ugh yeah, I’m good,” I said, still a little surprised.
“Wait you’re that girl saw the other day walking, aren’t you?” She questioned.
“Yes miss, I am,” I replied
“Oh no need to be so formal. Name’s Susan.”
“Danni.”
“Well Danni what’s a girl like you doing out here?”
“My friends, ma’am–I mean Susan–”
“Dared you to come talk to the crazy old lady at the end if the street?” she interrupted.
“Ah–yes.”
“Well no need to be feeling so bad; I enjoy the company. Want to come inside and sit down?”
That was not only my first conversation with Susan but the first of many to come that summer and throughout the years. I learned a lot from Susan that summer whether it was about life or about her. It turns out when she was still in her teens her family died in a train crash and the man she loved died only five years after they married, leaving her devastated. She told me of all of her adventures she had had with her three siblings and how terrible she had been to them before they died. And in turn I told her about myself. She became a very close friend even if there was some thirty years between us.
I would come back to visit as often as I could, write letters and such, Susan was also there for a lot of very important events in my life. The advice she gave me throughout the years is not only irreplaceable but also unparalleled. When she died it was very hard on me, but when I would look back on the life that she had lived and how happy she was with it, it helped me a lot. There was always one conversation, however, that didn’t make sense to me until very recently.
(Flashback)
We were out in her garden one day having a pleasant conversation when all of the sudden she turned to me and said “ I love my life, I mean sure I wish my family and Ryan could be here but other than that I couldn’t ask for a better one. But this life, a life like mine, one full of grief and salutation isn’t for you; promise me you’ll never fall into one like mine.”
I won’t” was my faithful reply.
(End Flashback)
Tommy, my fiancée, died in a car accident yesterday, and in all honesty I want to do nothing more then shut myself in my house and never come out, but then I remembered my promise and as hard as it is I intend to keep that promise I made for my dear friend all those years ago.

First story. Criticism welcomed but please no flames. If you want to see a picture of the Susan's house I have a link on my profile for it.