Clamp School Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Nokoru's First Love ❯ The Fashionable Thief: Part Two ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: I think I've neglected this fic long enough. This is Chapter 8. Read and review.
 
Words in italics refer to thoughts and flashbacks.
 
Disclaimers: Why do I have to say this every single time? I own not the legal rights of Sailor Moon or CLAMP Campus Detectives.
 
Chapter 8: The Fashionable Thief: Part Two
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
“No, it's not 20 Masks. Because…” Utako mumbled, recalling to the promise Akira made to her.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
“I will notify you first Utako, before resuming that `job',” Akira had said.
 
“That's a promise.” Utako replied.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
“20 Masks would never break a promise. Yes, this definitely isn't him.” Utako muttered.
 
“Utako-chan.” Ami began.
 
“Yes?” Utako looked at the older girl whom she always looked upon as another elder sister.
 
“Remember what I told you?” the blue-haired fourth-grader asked.
 
Utako nodded mutely.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
“Are you all right?” Ami had asked her about a week ago.
 
“Yes.” Utako replied feebly.
 
“You don't sound all right Utako-chan.” Ami remarked worriedly.
 
Utako looked away.
 
“If it's about him…” Ami begun.
 
“How do you know?” Utako gasped in amazement at Ami's insight.
 
“Female instinct. We women always have this sixth sense about these things.” Ami replied.
 
Utako sighed and recounted what happened, cleverly leaving out the fact the Akira was 20 Masks.
 
“Have you told him about your feelings?” Ami had asked after hearing her recount.
 
“No.” Utako shook her head.
 
“Maybe that's why this misunderstanding occurred. Men are always like that. They'll never know about how you feel until you tell them.” Ami advised.
 
“So you mean if I'd told 20 Masks about how I feel, he won't have misunderstood my meaning?” Utako inquired.
 
Ami nodded.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
“Sorry to keep you waiting, President Ohkawa.” Nokoru announced, stepping into the Council room with Souh.
 
“Nokoru…” Utako immediately jumped out of her seat.
 
“Mizuno-san?” Souh raised a brow.
 
“Utako-chan is going through a tough time. I figured she needed some moral support.” Ami replied.
 
“The 20 Masks fan club is asking to be here. Do you mind?” Nokoru asked the two girls.
 
“The ones that were visiting Gamera Hall last week?” Utako asked.
 
“Yes, the ones who came from overseas to follow in the footsteps of 20 Masks. They seem to show a lot of interest in this case as well.” Nokoru replied.
 
“Oh, I don't mind.” Utako answered.
 
“Nor do I.” Ami replied.
 
“Thank you.” Nokoru beamed at the two girls.
 
“Souh, bring the two in.” he instructed.
 
“All right.” Souh nodded and went out.
 
“By the way, how is Ijyuin doing?” Ami asked Nokoru.
 
“His fever seems to have gone down but he's taking the day off just in case.” Nokoru replied.
 
After everyone settled in, Nokoru began his report.
 
“So I will begin with my conclusion. President Ohkawa.” The blonde began.
 
“Yes.” Utako nodded.
 
“The Mysterious 20 Masks that removed the Golden Goose form the airplane museum the other day is definitely a red herring.” Nokoru declared.
 
“An imposter?” Utako frowned.
 
“An imposter?” the club president repeated.
 
“It's definitely the work of someone else.” Nokoru concluded.
 
“And what do you base this theory on?” the club president asked.
 
Souh then showed them a book.
 
“This book backs my theory.” Nokoru informed them.
 
“This is…” the club president blinked.
 
“I have taken a look at your club journal. You have analyzed 20 Masks pretty extensively.” Nokoru remarked.
 
“Thank you, but what does that?” the club president prompted.
 
“Pardon me. Your name was?” Nokoru turned his attention to the other man.
 
“Edmund. Cliff Edmund.” The redhead replied.
 
“I will ask Cliff. According to this book, you write one of the charming things about 20 Masks is that he never resorts to violence.” Nokoru noted.
 
“Exactly. The term `violence' does not exist in 20 Masks' vocabulary.” Edmund replied.
 
“Absolutely?” Nokoru inquired.
 
“Absolutely.” Edmund nodded.
 
“However, the night of the crime...” Nokoru surmised.
 
“He injured a security officer?” the club president asked.
 
“Yes, with one blow.” Nokoru nodded.
 
“I can't believe it.” the club president breathed.
 
“There is even more bizarre behavior of 20 Masks after that.” Nokoru added.
 
“At 21.38, 20 Masks left the airplane museum using the Golden Goose and for approximately one hour showed an acrobatic flight sequence centered in the business district. As if to show off his crime” Souh reported, showing them a flyer that fell from the plane.
 
“20 Masks is not someone who would do that.” Utako protested.
 
“I agree with that sentiment.” Nokoru agreed.
 
“Then what about the advance notice?” the club president inquired.
 
“The advance notice?” Utako echoed.
 
“20 Masks always sends out an advance notice.” The club president noted.
 
“We investigated that immediately after the request.” Nokoru replied.
 
“And?” the club president prompted.
 
“There was no notice.” Nokoru answered.
 
“Is that so?” the club president asked.
 
“We verified this with the museum, the police and most forms of mass media.” Souh reported.
 
“If the crime has advance notice, there will be tougher security. Was 20 Masks afraid of that?” Nokoru pointed out.
 
“That can't be!” the club president protested.
 
“Then why?” Nokoru asked.
 
The club president could not answer.
 
“There is only one answer, he was a fake.” Nokoru answered.
 
“But who? Why did he claim to be 20 Masks?” the club president asked.
 
“We don't know any more than this for now.” Souh admitted.
 
“However, we will clear 20 Masks from this false accusation.” Nokoru promised.
 
“Nokoru, Takamura-sama.” Utako beamed.
 
“President Ohkawa, if we were able to be of any assistance to you, you're glad.” Nokoru told her.
 
“I will say thanks on my behalf and on 20 Masks' behalf also.” Utako bowed slightly at the blonde President.
 
“You seem like you are 20 Masks' girlfriend.” Nokoru teased,
 
“Girlfriend…” Utako gasped.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Flashback
 
“20 Masks… 20 Masks… I HATE YOU!” Utako had screamed at Akira.
 
End of flashback
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
“Pardon. Forgive me.” Nokoru apologized, seeing Utako's downcast expression.
 
“But I tip my hat off to Utako. Why do you doubt this case?” the club president smiled the ebony-haired girl.
 
“Coincidence. I do apologize that you were not able to see the real 20 Masks.” Utako smiled back.
 
“That's not true.” Edmund objected.
 
“The real 20 Masks WILL appear. Definitely.” He added.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
That night, Santa Claus sneaked into the Ijyuin household.
 
“Akira.” He beamed.
 
“Akira.” He repeated.
 
Akira slowly opened his eyes.
 
“Santa Claus-san!” he exclaimed, getting out of bed.
 
“Good evening.” Santa Claus bowed slightly.
 
“Good evening.” Akira returned the greeting.
 
“But it's not Christmas yet?” he blinked in confusion.
 
“I realize that.” Santa Claus replied.
 
“Thank you for the wonderful gifts every year. I always wanted to thank you someday.” Akira smiled.
 
“You're welcome.” Santa Claus replied.
 
“I'll go make some tea. Although I don't have a Christmas cake baked.” Akira jumped out of bed.
 
“Oh don't mind me. I came by to chat with you.” Santa Claus shook his head.
 
“With me?” Akira's eyes widened.
 
“You seem worried about something and you weren't asking anyone for advice.” Santa Claus remarked.
 
“Um… how do you know?” Akira asked.
 
“Because I'm Santa Claus.” Santa Claus beamed.
 
“Actually I … I am now disliked by someone.” Akira began once the two were settled in.
 
“A lady?” Santa Claus guessed.
 
Noticing Akira's expression, he added, “It seems like a lady. Now why does she dislike you?”
 
“We were talking about the future. She said her dream was to become a wonderful housewife.” Akira replied.
 
“That is a wonderful dream.” Santa Claus commented.
 
“I think so too. She is a wonderful person already, but I thought that she would be even more wonderful if she were to get married. I really thought that.” Akira confessed.
 
“So…” he added, thinking back.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
“Please invite me to your wedding.” He had said.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Then Santa Claus realized what the problem was.
 
“You really told her that?” he asked.
 
“Yes.” Akira replied.
 
“Then you might be at fault, Akira.” Santa Claus told him.
 
“What part of that was wrong?” Akira asked, not understanding.
 
“Akira, how do you feel about that person?” Santa Claus posted a question.
 
“How…?” Akira blushed.
 
“Do you dislike her?” Santa Claus asked.
 
“Dislike? On the contrary!” Akira protested frantically, as massive sweatdrops appeared on his head.
 
“But I'm sure she will find someone much better than me.” He admitted.
 
“You are a humble, kind and wonderful person overall, Akira. However, there are times that it is best to clearly state how you feel.” Santa Claus advised.
 
“How I feel?” Akira blinked.
 
“You like that person a lot, don't you Akira?” Santa Claus asked.
 
“Yes.” Akira answered after a while.
 
“Then you should clearly deliver those feelings to her.” Santa Claus advised.
 
“But that becomes a burden…” Akira mumbled.
 
“It is important to think about how the other side feels. Some things are better off left unsaid, even if they cross your mind. But on the other hand, there are feelings that won't come across unless you put them into words.” Santa Claus told him.
 
“Feelings that won't come across unless I put them into words…” Akira repeated.
 
“No matter how good someone is, they don't know how others really feel. Language exists because you want others to know something about you. Your feelings won't come across to the other side just by thinking it in your heart. If you are truly thinking about how the other side feels, shouldn't you clearly tell them how you really feel?” Santa Claus said.
 
Standing up abruptly, Akira began, “Mr Santa. I… I…”
 
“It looks like you're going out.” Santa Claus noted.
 
“I'm sorry. You came all the way out here, and…” Akira bowed apologically.
 
“Please don't mind me.” Santa Claus chuckled.
 
“I'm truly sorry.” Akira apologized again and ran out.
 
Before reaching the door, he turned back, “Mr Santa? Have I met you somewhere before? Because I feel like I know you from somewhere.”
 
Santa Claus shook his head and added, “Now, you should hurry.”
 
Akira beamed, “Yes! Thank you very much!”
 
“He seems to have grown up into a good kid while I was gone.” Santa Claus noted, standing up from the rooftop as he saw Akira run off.
 
Removing his disguise, he added, “Akira… my cute little only son.”
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Meanwhile in the Ohkawa household, Utako was sulking in her room, clearly upset about the incident with Akira.
 
Suddenly, she noticed a shadow outside her window.
 
“20 Masks!” she beamed, getting out of bed to open the window.
 
“I'm happy. You came!” she grinned brightly.
 
Then she realized that it was not the real 20 Masks.
 
“I see. Since you were waiting for 20 Masks. You are…” the fake replied.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
A while later, Akira leapt onto Utako's bedroom balcony.
 
“Utako?” he called out, seeing that her bed was empty and her window opened.
 
Stepping into her room, Akira knelt down and picked up the hair ribbon Utako always wore.
 
Turning his attention to the laptop on the side table, he read the message.
 
Dearest 20 Masks,
 
“What?” Akira exclaimed in shock.
 
Putting on his 20 Masks grub, Akira set off to rescue Utako.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Back with the `kidnapped' Utako and the fake 20 Masks, the pair were in an open-air café.
 
“Would you like another?” the false 20 Masks asked his guest.
 
“No thanks.” Utako, dressed in a Victorian dress, turned her head away.
 
“You seem a little upset. Your dress is a waste as a result.” The counterfeit 20 Masks noted.
 
“That's none of your business! How about you? You look like 20 Masks, but you're the worst guy inside!” Utako retorted angrily.
 
“What?” the false 20 Masks frowned at the insult.
 
“You have no clue how to treat a lady.” Utako snapped.
 
“I am trying to be gentlemanly here.” The fake 20 Masks replied.
 
“You won't see 20 Masks even if you kidnap me.” Utako told him flatly.
 
“Why is that?” the false 20 Masks asked.
 
“We had a fight.” Utako replied.
 
“A fight?” the fake 20 Masks echoed.
 
“I told him that I hated him.” Utako said.
 
“And what was the reason?” the phony 20 Masks pressed.
 
“That's none of your business.” Utako replied.
 
“Ah well. We'll see if he comes or not. Time will tell.” The fake 20 Masks told her.
 
“What do you have against 20 Masks?” Utako asked.
 
“Have against him? That's absurd! I admire him from the bottom of my heart.” The false 20 Masks replied.
 
“Admire?” Utako echoed.
 
Looking at his timepiece, the fake 20 Masks added, “Rejoice. You still have hope.”
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
“Utako!” Akira's voice rang through the empty streets.
 
Then he stopped in his tracks when he heard a sound.
 
A traveling carriage soon appeared before him.
 
“Get in little 20 Masks.” The fake 20 Masks commented, opening the carriage door.
 
“Who is that?” Akira, in his 20 Masks guise, demanded.
 
“Don't be bashful.” The false 20 Masks told him.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Back in the Clamp Elementary Council room, Nokoru and Souh were working on the identity of the fake 20 Masks.
 
“Kaichou. This was unconfirmed, but the night of the theft, an airplane was spotted near Little London Island. Could it be the Golden Goose?” Souh reported, turning his head away from the computer screen.
 
“Little London Island?” Nokoru echoed.
 
“Isn't that the one that overseas corporations are building in Japan?” he asked.
 
“Yes, Japan's largest amusement park, modeled after 19th century London.” Souh replied.
 
“Wait a second. That project was led by the Edmund Group.” Nokoru noted.
 
“Edmund?” Souh echoed.
 
“Wasn't the name of the cameraman for the 20 Masks Fan Club…” he began.
 
“Souh! Do a thorough background check on Cliff Edmund.” Nokoru instructed.
 
“Got it.” Souh nodded.
 
Just then, the council room door flung open to reveal a flustered Mizuno Ami.
 
“Ami-chan?” Nokoru turned to the worried girl
 
“Mizuno-san?” Souh frowned.
 
“Nokoru-kun, Takamura-sempai, it's… Utako-chan.” Ami breathed.
 
“Are you all right?” Nokoru asked, leading her to the tea table.
 
“Utako-chan… she's been kidnapped!” Ami told him.
 
“What?” the two seniors exclaimed.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Back with the two 20 Masks, Akira was handcuffed as the fake 20 Masks added, “I really don't want to use something like those. But there is no point in if you run away.”
 
“You were the one who stole the Golden Goose?” Akira asked.
 
“I apologize for using your name without permission. I felt that it was the fastest way for me to see you. I was really surprised that the identity of 20 Masks was such a young boy like you.” The false 20 Masks commented.
 
“Where is Utako?” Akira asked.
 
“She's safe.” The counterfeit 20 Masks replied.
 
“Please return Utako.” Akira requested.
 
“That depends on your reply.” The bogus 20 Masks told him.
 
“And what are the conditions?” Akira asked.
 
“Your thievery is an art. I want to watch this art next to you. Come with me.” The mock 20 Masks told him.
 
“With you?” Akira echoed.
 
“20 Masks will now show his prowess all over the world. Of course Utako will be at your side. I don't think it's a bad deal.” The pseudo 20 Masks declared.
 
I decline the offer.” Akira replied curtly.
 
“You decline?” the bogus 20 Masks frowned.
 
“I am troubled to find you deciding my future like that.” Akira told him.
 
“Don't get me wrong. You have no right to choose.” The ersatz 20 Masks hissed, grabbing Akira by his shirt.
 
Brushing his hand away, Akira stood up and bowed slightly, “Excuse me.”
 
The fake 20 Masks hissed in frustration as he tried to get up to follow Akira, but found that he was handcuffed to the carriage door handle.
 
”What?” he frowned, looking at his cuffed wrist.
 
Opening the carriage door, Akira leapt out.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Elsewhere, Utako was trying to free herself.
 
“Ow…” she muttered, falling backwards and landing on her backside when the attempt to escape failed.
 
Finding another route, she walked over to the window, flung the curtains open and opened the window as a strong gust of wind blew in.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Meanwhile, Akira was running in an underground tunnel trying to avoid getting flushed away by the sewer water.
 
Just as the water was about to crush over him, Akira leapt up and grabbed the ladder.
 
Sighing in relief, he climbed up the ladder.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Elsewhere, the fake 20 Masks was chuckling as he watched Akira from one of the many screens in front of him.
 
“I won't let you go.” He promised.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Getting on the surface, Akira was running on a bridge when the said suspension bridge rose from the mid-point.
 
Akira leapt, barely managing to grip the edge of the other side of the bridge.
 
The false 20 Masks watched on amusement.
 
Finally turning a corner, Akira opened the door to a warehouse and stepped in, panting for breath.
 
And there in the warehouse was the stolen Golden Goose.
 
“The Golden Goose…” Akira blinked.
 
Then, he heard the citadel clock crime.
 
“Utako!” he called out, seeing Utako scaling the side of the roof.
 
The bogus 20 Masks stood abruptly form his seat, shocked that his hostage was free.
 
As the wind blew against her, Utako struggled to escape.
 
Then she let out a shocked cry when she missed her footing and slipped.
 
Grabbing the roof side which she had been walking on to stop herself from falling, Utako prayed, 20 Masks.
 
Just as her hand slipped, someone grabbed her wrist, pulling her up.
 
“You are a troublesome lady.” The fake 20 Masks told her.
 
“Let go of me!” Utako cried, struggling to free herself.
 
In her struggle, she slapped off the false 20 Masks' mask, revealing his identity as Cliff Edmund.
 
“You are…” Utako gasped in realization.
 
“You little…” Cliff spat angrily.
 
“Utako!” Akira called out.
 
The pair turned to see Akira standing behind them.
 
“20 Masks!” Utako breathed in relief.
 
“That's far enough.” Cliff declared, pulling Utako closer to him.
 
“Now little 20 Masks, I'm expecting a good answer this time” Cliff told him.
 
“You are such a…” Akira gritted his teeth.
 
“Come with me.” Cliff offered.
 
“If I oblige, you will return Utako?” Akira asked.
 
“20 Masks, don't!” Utako cried out.
 
“Come with me!” Cliff repeated.
 
“I have no choice.” Akira sighed.
 
Then, a plane was heard flying overhead.
 
The pilot, who turned out to be Santa Claus aka Akira's father, gave Akira a thumbs-up.
 
“Mr Santa!” Akira beamed.
 
Then a ladder was let down from the Golden Goose.
 
Turning back to Cliff, Akira replied, “I do apologize, but I've changed my mind.”
 
“What?” Cliff demanded.
 
Taking the opportunity, Utako bit Cliff's hand that was holding her hostage, forcing him to let her go.
 
Once freed, she ran over to Akira.
 
“Utako!” Akira called out, his hand reaching over to her.
 
Taking her hand, the pair escaped up to the roof.
 
Just as the ladder came into the perfect position, Akira grabbed the rope ladder with his free hand as the plane flew them of to safety.
 
Running into the warehouse where the Golden Goose was once kept, Cliff burst out of the door, riding a car.
 
“Come back. Please come back.” He mumbled as he chased the plane.
 
His path was suddenly put to a halt when a Clamp aircraft blocked his way.
 
Cliff was forced over to the side of the road, splashing into the river below.
 
“Help me!” he wailed pathetically.
 
“I guess it was a good thing to bring the blimp for the Cultural Festival.” Souh remarked.
 
“Yeah, let's leave the rest for the police.” Nokoru beamed.
 
“I just hope Ohkawa-san is alright.” Souh muttered in worry.
 
“With him, she will be. That I can safely assure.” Ami told him, turning a knowing smile at the night sky.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
Back with Akira and Utako, the two were sitting on the steps of the ladder, Utako being two steps above Akira.
 
“I have something to tell you.” Akira began, pulling off his mask.
 
“Something to tell me?” Utako echoed.
 
“To tell the truth, I… I…” Akira blushed. (A/N: Darn it Akira! Just get on with it. Sheesh.)
 
“I… you… I… I… love you.” He finally confessed.
 
“I'm sorry. I know that this will trouble you, but someone told me that there are feelings that don't get across to others unless I put them in words.” Akira remarked.
 
“Why?” Utako demanded.
 
“I'm sorry I made you upset.” Akira bowed in apology.
 
“Why didn't you tell me sooner? Why didn't you tell me long ago?” Utako shouted.
 
“Utako?” Akira blinked.
 
“I love you too. From the first time I met you, I thought you knew that from long ago.” Utako told him.
 
“I have no clue, really.” Akira stammered.
 
Utako sighed, “Ami-sensei was right after all. I guess there are things that don't get across unless you put them into words.”
 
Turning back to Akira and beaming brightly, she added, “I love you. Even if you hated me, I'd still love you. But now that you told me you loved me too and that makes me love you even more.”
 
“Utako…” Akira smiled.
 
“Those words are the best gift I've ever gotten in my life.” Utako declared, jumping into Akira's embrace.
 
Insert `Water Drop' song.
 
***************************************************************** **********************
 
SailorStar9: Phew another couple resolved. Now I'm trying to put Nokoru and Ami together. HELP!!!!