Code Geass Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Loose Control ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
thoughts
amplified thoughts/meanings
_______________________________________________________________________
The sigh that escaped through tightly pursed lips was both annoyed frustration and tumbling amusement, the conflicting emotions wrapping together so tightly that she wasn't quite sure if she was supposed to be angry or entertained, and so leaned towards disguising such thoughts from prying eyes behind a veil of blackened strands of hair that reached to the middle of her back but tangled with sweat and grease fell forwards, the elongated bangs shadowing her features from sight. Strands, which were wildly tangled from a long-born child's habit of using her fingers rather than a brush as a means of gaining control over such thick tresses, By all rights she should be relaxing, resting, taking a preverbal load off of her right leg which throbbed slowly to the beat of her heart marking where the limb was still sore for the bone still soft from the accident which had broken the bone... shamefully it had been entirely her own fault, a dangerous risk used to ensure someone else's survival.
But even the pain that rippled through her leg, which was curled underneath her body so that her knee rested under her buttocks and the rest of the leg projecting out behind her sitting frame, was not necessarily enough for her to stop at the task she had literally assigned herself to complete. Her fingers hurt, the tips tingling as if she had been pressed down on sandpaper enough that experience told her she was going to be feeling the pain for a couple of hours... maybe even an entire day... after she ceased working, scrubbing even, at the sleek surface which spread underneath her slender frame. But even as a vague part of her considered taking a break she just as easily dismissed it... she was no longer the young child who had slacked off wherever possible... or at least she hadn't been since her fifteenth birthday and found her life literally turned upside down.
Upside down now that was undermining what had happened.
She must be nuts to simply refer to the changes, drastic as they were, as simply turning her world upside down. That sort of term said 'minor' problem... it didn't even begin to explain what she had experienced.
It had been a taint, a curse, some affliction within the depths of her blood that she had had the misfortune of been descended from the legendary miko Midoriko who after seven days and endless nights of battling a demonic creature of horrific proportations had bound the demon's spirit to her own as she had been consumed. The result of... such a 'merger' she supposed was the word... giving birth to the Shikon no Tama where the battle was destined to continue for all eternity. It had been the task of those that descended from Midoriko, who she now knew happened to have diverged into her own Higurashi family and another, to guard the Shikon no Tama from the hands of those that would use the jewel for dark, even evil, means. The woman she was supposed to be the 'incarnate' of... but in truth they were merely distant relations, both descended from Midoriko herself... Kikyo had failed in the task of protecting the Shikon.
How the jewel had been stolen away all those centuries ago, escaping the observations of the dark hanyou Naraku, was something she had never understood. But through mystic abilities... spiritual prayers... the Shikon no Tama had been forced into a sort of dormant state and given to those of Kikyo's relatives as a means of keeping the jewel hidden. Not Kaede, the other's younger sister, for the bloodline... the family of Midoriko... had decided that Kikyo's division had failed and as such there was a potential danger that that 'weakness' which had caused such failure would be carried over to Kaede... meaning that the jewel's location might be displaced if Kaede knew too. Through such a means the Shikon no Tama had remained relatively hidden, disguised as a mere jewel which had been passed down through generation and generation of her family's line, until her latent 'miko'... the first in close to five hundred years... had awoken the jewel again.
It was because then of her bloodline and because her own fledgling abilities had 'awoken' the Shikon no Tama that when Kagome had turned 15 she had found herself dragged into the depths of feudal Japan to finish the task that Kikyo had failed at... destroying the Shikon no Tama. Back then she had been nothing more than an ignorant, naive, and rather stupid girl who had chased after a sacred jewel known as the Shikon no Tama which in her ignorance she had been responsible for breaking... assisted in this task by a hanyou known as Inuyasha, a perverted monk named Miroku, a demon slayer known as Sango. Their numbers had eventually swelled to include others, the most noticeable of which been the inu-youkai or the dog-demon Sesshomaru who had been willing to forgo his seeking of the brothers' father's legendary sword as a means of allying with allies which might assist even the powerful dai-youkai, or great demon, against the dark hanyou Naraku.
"You're crazy girl, what are you still doing here?" The voice, though it was pitched low, still tore at Kagome's wandering thoughts.
Azure eyes, the defining hint in her mind... though so many seemed to overlook it for her other 'similiaries' to the other... that she wasn't simply the incarnate of the brown-eyed Kikyo, flickered away from the piece of metal that she had been working upon towards the being that had interrupted her wandering thoughts even if she had actually welcomed such an interruption. Dark tinged hair cut short and what had fallen loose brushed backwards in an arching sweep that amplified features which looked terribly haggarded even from where she was perched on the shoulder 'joint' of her fighting unit... doubtlessly weighed down with trying to keep the Japanese military from failing entirely under the onslaught of outsider forces. Kiseki no Tohdoh... Tohdoh of Miracles... the lieutenant colonel looked every bit of been close to fifty seven rather than the near thirty years she knew the other to be, roughly ten years older than her own twenty... 20... years.
But... as he was responsible for 'benching' her from the last battle... 'respect your elders' held no meaning in the depths of her mind, "go away, old man."
She swallowed down the urge to add 'go to sleep' knowing that that would be too much.
"I see Chiba was right and that even with a broken leg, you haven't gained control of that temper." There was a hint of amusement there that caused Kagome to shift her weight, leaning more over the edge of the perch she had placed herself up to consider the speaker better... without having to strain her neck in doing so.
At 5'3'', she was usually dwarfed by the military man, bot somehow he seemed to be smaller than was to be expected within the dulled lights of the hanger, the ashen gray kimono-like outfit adorned with a winding vine-like pattern along the front making him almost invisible in the poor lighting which happened to be filtered through lights that were covered with dirt. Someone was going to have to dust... or something... but she doubted that the other was anytime going to be considering such a task or even, for that matter, assign some low-ranking individual to make the hanger a little cleaner. When she had arrived here, close to an hour ago Kagome had not bothered making the lights any brighter least she alerted others. Her colleagues... companions through the circumstance of them all been of Japanese blood... had enough on their minds without wondering whom was wandering about at this ungodly hour.
But obviously, for all the caution that she had employed for though of the same ethnic origins she was still a stranger to the others, she had underestimated the other's insomnic night-time wanderings. Plagued by the deaths of so many of his 'subordinates' in battles that had long since come and gone in the venture of trying to free Japan from the control of other countries... mainly Britannia... Kyoshiro Tohdoh didn't sleep well at night. In that way they were, she supposed, very much alike. It was a desperate means... working herself to preverbal exhaustion in repairing damage dealt to her azure on black tinged Shin'ya Hant? from the battle where she had ended up with the broken leg... coming here in the dead of night to keep the 'nightmares' that made sleep almost impossible away.
Returning the other's miffed expression with a smirk, knowing well from experience that he wouldn't leave until she packed up and went to 'bed', Kagome settled herself to doing the complete opposite and turned her gaze back upon the fighting unit's battered front. The muttered curse below just caused her grin to widen... at least she could be enlightened about this world she had found herself in as the lieutenant colonel grumbled about 'stubborn women', a vague part of her wondering if the student he was so proud of... this Suzaku Kururugi... ever caused the old man this much trouble.
______________________________________________________________ _________

Shin'ya Hant? - Night Hunter - the name of Kagome's knightmare frame for the Japanese army. In the vague mentioning of it, it is commented upon as been azure on black for coloring.

Converting /tmp/phpyn7rVN to /dev/stdout