Count Cain Fan Fiction ❯ An Unexpected Twist ❯ Dark Memories ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Two: Dark Memories
The singing of a lash through the air. The sudden, slicing pain upon impact with skin. A cruel voice, taunting him as the beating continued. His own voice screaming at the tormentor to stop. Going unheeded, and only having the ‘chastisement’ get worse.....
“This is a ritual to cleanse you of your sins. Accept it!” the cold voice almost crooned, as the whip sang through the air again and again; drawing blood with each strike.


Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv(divider)
Cain sighed as Riff carefully drove along the dark roads. It had taken quite some time for them to reach the edge of the estate, and both Mary-Weather and Judas were sound asleep.
It must not have been a very restful voyage for him, considering he’d practically run away from home to come here.” Cain mused, as he watched the other young man’s face closely; becoming minutely concerned when a hint of fear and pain emerged there.
“N-no.....stop.....Why?......What’ve I done....?Why’re you doin’ this to me.....?” Judas whimpered, shuddering a little bit as he slept, completely trapped in the nightmare he was having.
“Mr. Hargers, are you all right?” Cain asked, as he reached over and grasped Judas’ right shoulder in an attempt to wake him. Abruptly, Judas woke from sleep; fearful disorientation giving way to relief, when he saw that he wasn’t where he’d thought he’d been.
“S-sorry for falling asleep like that, Earl Hargreaves. I guess I was a little more tired than I’d thought.” Judas shakily said, as he struggled to get his racing heart back into its’ usual rhythm.
“It’s quite all right. No harm done.....though it looked as though you were having a bit of a nightmare, just now.” Cain stated, trying to reassure the other teen with those words, and also trying to find out why he was so distressed at the same time. Judas breathed a shaky sigh.
“Just dreaming about the life I’d left behind......a life I was only too happy to let go of.” Judas replied, with a shudder. Cain nodded in understanding. His own life had been a nightmare as well, before Riff and Mary-Weather had come along.
“I see....Well, we’re back at the manor house now.” Cain stated, as he motioned out the window at the large, imposing structure that awaited them just beyond the gate. Judas turned to the window of the vehicle, and actually gaped at the building in awe.
“Wow......I never would have imagined that I would be coming to a place like this. It’s huge!” Judas muttered, then added, “And a little spooky-lookin’.” Cain suppressed the urge to sigh.
“A lot of first-time visitors here often say the same thing.....But it’s been in my family for generations.” Cain murmured, as he also gazed at the imposing sight; remembering when it had brought some very different emotions to him..... and forcing those dark memories to the very back of his mind before the other teen could sense that something was bothering him.
“Sure looks that way......” Judas murmured, as he reluctantly peeled his gaze away from the window. Within moments, they were at the front door of the manor; Riff was already stepping down from behind the wheel, and Cain motioned for Judas to carefully pick up the sleeping girl and follow him out. With a nod, Judas silently did as he was told; barely suppressing a hiss as he bent down to clear his head of the roof of the vehicle.
“Are you all right, Mr. Hargers?” Riff asked, his quiet voice startling Judas for a moment.
“Yeah....I’m okay. My back just hurts a little from too many nights of sleeping on a hard floor, that’s all.” Judas replied, not missing the somewhat skeptical look the manservant gave him as he carried Mary-Weather into the brightly-lit house.
“Judas, if you wish to bathe before you go to sleep tonight, Riff will supply you with some linens and fresh clothes. I must warn you, though, that we’re going to be heading out early tomorrow morning, since I had received a summons from the Cromwell family earlier today.” Cain stated, watching with some silent amusement as the American’s eyebrows rose.
“You want to take me along? Won’t that cause some people to faint?” Judas asked, now feeling as skeptical as Riff had looked just moments ago.
“Why would your appearance cause people to faint, Judas?” Cain questioned; curious about how this young man thought of himself.
“Well.....that’s how some of the ladies in my hometown reacted when they saw me. Guess it was because of my eyes, I don’t know....” Judas muttered, a vaguely uncomfortable expression appearing on his face as he remembered part of the reason he’d run away from home in the first place. Cain could only smirk at this; he had his ideas as to why the women had fainted in Judas’ presence....and it wasn’t just because of his eyes.
“I see....I’ll show you to your room. Follow me.” Cain murmured, as he started leading the way to where the guest rooms were; sharing a knowing glance with Riff before they went their separate ways (Riff now carried the slumbering Mary-Weather in his arms, hence the reason he wasn’t leading Judas to his new room). When they finally arrived there, Cain handed Judas a key, and gave him a stern look.
“This room will be yours’ from here on out. My room is just down the hall. Try not to go outside at night while you are staying here.” Cain said, with dire warning in his voice as he spoke. Judas nodded, in understanding.
“I’ll remember that. But you’re going to have to explain to me what it was that made that freak go after Mary earlier. I’d prefer to know who or what I’m up against.” Judas replied, as he fingered one of his throwing knives, thoughtfully. Cain’s eyes widened minutely in reaction to seeing the weapons, but allowed a world-weary smile to cross his face, nonetheless.
“I will tell you as much as I can, later. Although there isn’t much information I can impart to you, aside from the fact that my father’s organization is trying to make my life a living hell.” Cain stated, quietly.
“Any information is helpful, in this situation.....Since I’m practically coming into this fight blind.” Judas murmured, as Riff rejoined them with clothes and towels in hand.
“Miss Mary-Weather is now being attended to by the maids. She’s still sound asleep, sir.” Riff reported, as Cain allowed himself a look of relief.
“The fact that she can rest easy after an encounter like that helps to put my mind at ease, Riff.” Cain murmured, smiling slightly when he saw that his expression was mirrored perfectly on Judas’ face as well. Yet, he didn’t miss the minute trace of pain in the other teen’s eyes.
“The bath is this way, Mr. Hargers.” Riff stated, as he started to lead the American in that direction.
“Thanks.” Judas replied, giving Cain a slight grin and salute before he followed the manservant down the hall. Cain couldn’t help but smile a little, and shake his head; Americans were still a mystery to him, and probably always would be.


Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv(divider)

Judas clenched his jaw as he stripped his dirty shirt off of his back; finding to his displeasure that it had become bonded to the flesh.
Damn. I thought it would’ve healed by now!” Judas mused, as he glanced at the full-length mirror, and the reflection that it showed.
It seems that Mary-Weather was right about my resemblance to Lord Hargreaves.....Right down to the eye color.....Talk about an eerie coincidence!” Judas thought, with a slight ironic smile, as he glanced down. Wrapped securely around his torso were what appeared to be bandages; linen strips that Judas could see were equally as dirty as his clothing was.
Hope removing these doesn’t reopen the wounds....” Judas thought, sourly, as he carefully started unwinding them; gritting his teeth when he felt a few of the scabs get pulled away.
“Good Lord!”
Judas whirled around when he heard the exclamation; noticing that Riff was now staring at his back in horror.
“Who did this to you?” Riff asked, as his blue eyes took in all the damage to the American’s back.....All across Judas’ back, there were crisscrossed wounds; some were bleeding, while others oozed pus, hinting at a serious infection.
“This was part of the reason I ran away from home. If you would believe it....my own grandfather and my uncles did this.....and my chest is in just about as rough a shape.” Judas replied, as what remained of the dirtied bandages fell away, and he turned to face Riff. Riff’s face paled when he saw just how extensive Judas’ injuries were.
As loathe as I am to even think this....Cain may have gotten off easy, compared to this poor fellow.” Riff thought, as he approached, and started assessing the damage.
“Wait a moment, and I will bring some fresh bandages and ointment.....” Riff murmured, after a few moments, before rushing off to do just that. From where he sat, on the bathtub’s rim, Judas could hear when Riff gave some of the maids the order for some hot water, and when Cain’s voice joined them. It didn’t take long for Cain himself to appear within the bathroom; his face also paling when he saw Judas’ wounds.
“I’m surprised you are even still lucid, considering what Riff had just told me. How did you stand the journey here?” Cain asked, his own gold-flecked green eyes showing honest concern and even a little horror.
“It wasn’t easy, I’ll say that much. Just don’t tell Mary, all right?” Judas said, with a hint of shame on his youthful face. Cain sighed, and nodded.
“Agreed.....” Cain murmured, knowing that the other teen’s current state would upset the young girl.
“The hot water and medicine will be here in a moment, Mr. Hargers. In the meantime, you might want to bathe, and get the worst of the infection cleaned out.” Riff said, taking command of the situation as he re-entered the bathroom with the clean linen strips in hand (the ones that had come from Judas’ torso had already been disposed of).
“Whatever you say.” Judas said, not daring to argue with the butler, at this point.
Smart man.” Cain mused, shooting Riff a knowing look when he sensed a bit of chagrin from him for that response.


Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv(divider)

By the time all was said and done, it was nearing four in the morning. As gently as he could, Riff pulled the covers over the now-slumbering Judas Hargers; taking care not to touch his chest as he did so.
“How is he, Riff?” Cain asked, quietly, as he entered the room and gave Judas a vague look of concern.
“Better. Now that the infection has been dealt with, his fever has come down. As it is, it should be gone by the time we head out for the Cromwells’ estate tomorrow morning.” Riff informed, as he watched the peaceful features of the slumbering teen for a moment, then looked at Cain again.
“It really is something unexpected......that we both look so much alike, and went through the same kind of pain.....yet still managed to carry himself with dignity. Somewhere within him is a strength I haven’t discovered yet.” Cain mused aloud, then added, “The strength to smile through the pain.”
“Then, perhaps, there is something to learn from him....aside from his dark past, and the reasons he has for running from it.” Riff murmured.
“Maybe.....” Cain whispered, as he thoughtfully walked out of the room, and made his way down the hall; knowing that, within moments, Riff would be there to help him prepare for bed, and for the trip ahead.