Count Cain Fan Fiction ❯ An Unexpected Twist ❯ Arrival at 'Butterfly Mansion' ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Three: Arrival at ‘Butterfly Mansion’
Judas stifled the urge to growl, as the carriage bumped and jolted its’ way through the English countryside.
Someday, I hope somebody invents a way for vehicles to absorb all of the bumps in a road, that way the people riding won’t have to feel it!” Judas sourly mused, as he tried to sit normally and ignore the pain each impact brought to his injured back. Across from him, Cain Hargreaves dozed, having been lulled to sleep by the constant movement of the vehicle beneath him.
“It doesn’t seem like he got much sleep last night, does it?” Mary-Weather asked, softly, as she gazed concernedly at her brother, and then Judas.
“No, it doesn’t.” Judas agreed, then silently added, “And I was partly to blame for that.
“Come to think of it, you look a little pale right now as well. Are you all right?” Mary-Weather questioned.
“I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.” Judas replied, warmly, yet noticed when Cain’s expression changed as he slept.
Looks like he’s having a nightmare.” Judas thought, just barely hearing when Cain started to mumble something in his sleep. It was just when the snapping sound of a stone breaking under one of the wheels came to their ears that Cain’s eyes shot open for a moment, and his face went sheet white.
“Cain?” Judas asked, as he carefully reached out and grasped the lower part of his left arm. At first, Cain didn’t react to his name; one hand went to his mouth, and the other snaked its’ way over his shoulder to his back.
“Cain.” Judas said, again, as Cain looked hazily at him, “Are you all right?” What’s wrong?
“I....” Cain choked, shuddering a little bit as he forced himself to hold whatever was in his stomach down.
“What’s wrong, Cain? A nightmare?” Mary-Weather added, when the other young man’s eyes slowly focused, and he gazed blearily at them.
“I-it’s nothing, Mary-Weather, Judas....just motion sickness.” Cain murmured, as he struggled to get his racing heart under control, and his breathing to resume a normal rhythm.
“You do indeed look ill.” Judas stated, honestly, when he saw how pale Cain looked at this point, then silently added, “Like hell it’s nothing. Something’s bothering you.” Cain only gave him a slight smirk, before straightening a little in his seat, and breathing a shaky sigh. He knew that Judas could sense that he was lying through his teeth....but he wasn’t going to pry.
“I wonder where we are right now?” Mary-Weather asked, wisely trying to get away from the subject, and bringing their attention to their surroundings.
“We should be able to see the manor house soon.” Cain replied, then added, “This entire forest belongs to the Cromwell estate. The Hargreaves and the Cromwells are distantly related, but something in the past caused us to become estranged. It is good that we have accepted the invitation and gotten away from London for a while.”
“Did something happen in London before I arrived, Cain?” Judas asked, getting a nod from the young earl as a response.
“I’ll tell you of it later.” Cain promised, inwardly snickering when Judas gave him a an almost deadpan glance. He didn’t believe him in the slightest.
I feel I can rely on Judas to help protect Mary from my father. With his skill with those knives of his, he’ll make a formidable opponent for anyone daring to try harming her.” Cain thought, as the manor house came into view.
“This place looks even more haunted than your home did, Cain.” Judas muttered. Cain actually chuckled softly at this; allowing a slight grin to cross his pale features when Mary-Weather said basically the same thing.
“In England, ghosts in old houses and castles are status symbols.” Cain said, getting a somewhat disbelieving look from the American for that.
“In America, if somebody says that their house is haunted, they first go looking for a mental institution for that person, and then a medium or priest.” Judas muttered, then silently added, “But I’ll have to admit, this place does indeed look as though it has a few spooks in its’ halls.” Before anything more could be said, however, the carriage suddenly screeched to a halt, nearly throwing Mary-Weather and Judas to the floor from the force of the sudden stop.
“What happened?” Cain asked, as he opened the door and looked up at the driver.
“S-sorry sir.” the driver stammered, before continuing, “Something flew out in front of the carriage! I thought for a moment that is was a large red butterfly! I managed to stop just in time, so I didn’t run it over!”
“A butterfly?” Cain asked, confusedly, getting a nod from the driver, as Judas got out and carefully approached the ‘thing’.
“Cain! It’s a person! Hey, are you all right, miss?” Judas questioned, as he kneeled down and reached out to what appeared to be a young woman. They all jumped back when she looked up at them.....She had a dead bird in her mouth!
“Sh-she’s possessed! It’s the Japanese girl from Lord Cromwell’s mansion!” the driver yelped, as the girl got back to her feet with a scream, and rushed towards the trio; her eyes wild and unseeing.
“Lukia!” Cain shouted, just as someone snapped his fingers, and the girl lost consciousness, falling back into a man’s arms as she did so.
“If you know this girl, then, like me, you are also a guest of the Cromwell family.” the man stated, coolly, as he carefully picked up the now-slumbering girl.
“Who....?” Cain started to ask, but was interrupted by the man as he abruptly turned to walk away.
“Excuse me. I’ll see you all again later.” the stranger said, as he carried Lukia back in the direction of the manor; leaving more questions than answers.
Okay.....What the heck was THAT about?” Judas wondered, as he exchanged a somewhat uneasy glance with Cain; the man had approached them so soundlessly, that even Judas hadn’t noticed him until he was right there!
“Old acquaintance of yours?” Judas asked.
“No. I’ve never seen him around before.” Cain replied, quietly, as they re-entered the carriage, and continued on their way towards the house itself. When they had gotten there, Mary-Weather marveled at the number of butterflies that were lingering in the gardens and flowerbeds.
“Cain! Judas! Look at all those butterflies! Is this why they call it the ‘Butterfly Mansion’?” Mary-Weather asked, giggling when several of the brightly-colored insects landed on Judas.
“Probably.” Cain replied, smirking when a particularly large butterfly landed on Judas’ nose, and as the American scowled at it.
“Better watch it, bug. My knives eat things like you for breakfast!” Judas grumbled, as he brushed the insects off of him, and noticed when Cain glanced up at one of the buildings.
“See something?” Judas asked, wary now, when he saw the disgruntled look on the earl’s face.
“There was someone watching us from that window up there.” Cain said, speaking softly so he wouldn’t alarm his sister.
“Hmm.....And it looks like we’re still being watched.....Guess we’ll soon see just how expected your company really is, once we get inside.” Judas murmured, fingering his knives to reassure himself, as they made their way to the front door.
“I suppose so.” Cain agreed; beginning to wonder just what sort of strange situation they were about to walk into.



vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv(divider)



̶ 0;Cain! I hardly recognize you! It’s been at least ten years since I last saw you! Oh, and this must be Mary-Weather, whom I had heard so much about! How lovely she is!” Lord Cromwell said, looking and sounding pleased to see Cain after such a long interval.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Lord Cromwell.” Mary-Weather said, politely, as she curtsied as well, getting a pleasant laugh from the man.
“Call me Uncle Leonard, Mary.” Lord Cromwell said, warmly. Then he turned his attention to Judas.
“My word! This fellow looks exactly like you, Cain! Where did he come from?” Lord Cromwell asked, smiling when a chagrined expression crossed Judas’ features.
“This is Judas Hargers, and he is from the United States.” Cain said, introducing the American to his uncle, and explaining where he came from in one felled swoop.
“Pleasure to meet you, sir.” Judas stated, with a polite nod. Yet, before any more pleasantries could be exchanged, a loud slap echoed down the stairs.
“What do you mean Lukia is not in her room?.! Why did you let her leave, Walken?.!” an enraged female voice shouted.
“P-please forgive me.....” the butler almost sobbed, as he staggered up from where he’d been knocked down on the steps.
That had to hurt.....” Judas thought, counting his blessings that he wasn’t married to the woman that had slapped the hapless butler, nor was he the butler that had been slapped.
“No disrespectful thoughts, Judas.” Cain hissed, getting a slight grin from the American as a response.
“Wouldn’t dream of it......” Judas muttered.
“Then why do you have your fingers crossed behind your back?” Cain questioned, dryly.
“Oh, no reason.” Judas lied, chuckling as Cain sighed and shook his head.
“We have guests?” the woman asked, when she’d finally noticed that Lord Cromwell wasn’t alone in the entrance hall. Mary-Weather shuddered as the woman’s icy gaze landed on her, and even the two young men had to suppress the desire to do the same thing.
“You three, this is my second wife Abigail.” Lord Cromwell introduced, then added, “These are our distant relatives, Earl Cain Hargreaves and Mary-Weather, and their guest, Judas Hargers.”
“Y-you’re the head of the Hargreaves’ noble clan?.!” Abigail asked, aghast that she’d done such a thing in front of Cain.
“Pleased to meet you.” Cain quietly stated, with a calm smile.
“Likewise.” Judas agreed, trying his best to remain polite.
“Y-you had to come at a time like this.....Uh, I mean.....Welcome to our home.” Abigail greeted, nervously; earning her some confused looks from the trio as they stood there.
She’s hiding something.” was the thought that crossed both Cain’s and Judas’ minds, as they watched the mystery man enter, carrying the sleeping Lukia in his arms.
“Oh, my! Lukia!” Lord Cromwell yelped.
“She’s merely asleep. I saw her in front of the house just now, so....” the man explained, quietly.
“We’ve been expecting you, Mr. Crehador.” Abigail said, as she smiled a smile that sent chills down Judas’ spine. As the man climbed the stairs with Lukia in his arms, Cain turned the name over in his mind, trying to figure out where he had heard it before.
“Lukia is.....beginning to look more and more like your late wife.” Cain commented.
“Yes. She is....” Lord Cromwell replied, thoughtfully.
“But....since when has she been like that?” Cain questioned, before something fell with a crash in front of them. Without a moment’s hesitation, Judas unsheathed two of his knives, and got in front of both Cain and Mary-Weather; determined to protect them no matter what (much to the very evident surprise of Lord Cromwell).
“It’s an evil spirit! Lukia is possessed by an evil spirit!” a boyish voice shouted, as the owner of it landed on a pedestal where a vase would normally be displayed; his face obscured by an old cloth bag that had some eyeholes cut into it.
“Foolish intruders! Leave this cursed place or....?.!” the boy shouted, before Cain grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, pulled his makeshift mask off, and actually got the rope around his neck.
“Stop behaving like that.” Cain growled, then softly added, “Do you want me to make you into a spirit?”
“You’re one to talk! Let me go!” the boy yelped, and as Judas snickered at his expense.
Oh, the trouble I could have caused, if I’d had the imagination like this kid!” Judas mused, ruefully, as he picked up what had been thrown in front of them (a baby doll, that had part of its’ plaster head knocked out, and a small axe imbedded in its’ belly, with the word ‘Kill’ painted in red on the stomach) and watched as Abigail embarrassedly tried to salvage the situation.
“Please, excuse my son’s rudeness! He’s Lukia’s stepbrother. Emile, apologize to Lord Cain, Mary-Weather, and Mr. Hargers....!” Abigail as she pinched the boy’s shoulders in an effort to get him to obey. With noticeable reluctance, Emile seemed to calm down, and held out a hand to Mary-Weather.
“Sorry.” Emile grumbled.
“Um....It.....it’s okay.” Mary-Weather said, her eyes widening and she screamed a little bit when he unfolded his hand a little more, and almost released a spider onto her palm.
“Ha ha! Gotcha!” Emile sneered, before racing out of the house. Judas stepped back a bit when Mary-Weather actually growled, and then took off after the ornery boy.
“Wait, you little brat! You don’t know who you’re dealing with! I grew up in the slums, I’ll have you know!” Mary-Weather shouted, furiously.
“She’s quite a strong young lady, Cain.....” Lord Cromwell murmured, as taken aback by Emile’s behavior as his wife was.
“I’ll say.” Judas agreed, wholeheartedly.
“Yes, well....Your son must be fearless to make her mad.” Cain stated, with a proud smile. But the question still remained; just what were the Cromwells trying to hide? And what did it have to do with Lukia’s strange behavior?