Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Outlaw Star Fan Fiction ❯ Radical Edward: The Missing Link ❯ Responses ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Nate vs. Challengers: Round One

If you don't agree, please tell me so in a review (although I must insist that YOU have a valid reason for disagreeing, otherwise I won't respond). I would be glad to respond to any challenges, since I am thoroughly convinced that Ed is a Ctarl-Ctarl kidnapped at birth.

Those were the conditions I listed in order for you to get a response. Naturally, everyone didn't follow them and I'm only responding to the ones that did.

First, the people at Fanfiction.net:

jster1983

You forgot about the ears.

So I did. Inexcusable, really. Bad Nate. Bad.

Kaneta

Ed didn't necessarily dye her hair--who says that there aren't different pelt colors among the Ctarl-Ctarl? It would only follow, really--red hair is(among humans at least)a recessive gene, right? So she could even have two normal blonde parents, and still come out with that fiery hair.
*shrugs*

I'm not even sure there ARE blonde Ctarl-Ctarl. As I said, I didn't think red was a common fur color-it may not even be a possible one. I went with dye because of Ed's apparent love of red things.

Say-Chan the Pyro

Those were valid points! I would believe completely Ed is a Ctarl-Ctarl except for one thing....Ed's father is human and he lives on Earth! Sorry....but if u can explain this one to me I will believe!

Considering Ed grew up around orphaned kids, it's very possible she herself was orphaned and that Applederry isn't her true father. Sure, they look alike, but that could be coincidence. Or it's possible he just happened to mate with a Ctarl-Ctarl and that Ed is a half-breed. Who can say?

MoonFairy

There's a story out there somewhere that deals with something like this that Aisha suspects Ed is a Ctarl Ctarl child that was kidnapped and I dealt with lots of these possibilities! Sorry but I can't remember what the title is or who the author is! Sorry!!!!

You sure that wasn't mine? "Beyond the Screen"?

Buckeroo

I really... REALLY liked this. If there was any way to make me love ED!!!!! more than I already did, it was to compare her to Lady Aisha... kudos to you. Incidentally, yes, I did start reading Beyond the Screen before reading this.

Well, I did a little more than compare them, I practically related them. But thanks!

AishaNi

You do have a good point. But then Ed's dad left her alone for quite a while. Ed would have picked up on something to do as a hobby (like how well she can hack). She was alone before she joined the Bebop crew. And when she finally met her dad after a while he did throw Ed around quite easily and how strong he was when he fought against Spike and Jet. Ed probably ate some weird things if no one was there to show her what was edible and what isn't edible. She probably got immune to the poisonous ganymede lobster and ate worse things. Being flexible was probably a trait she MIGHT of inherited from her dad. Or maybe she started doing tricks (like typing with her toes) and got flexible.

All possible. But I still find it hard to believe that Ed could just become "immune" to a sentient, poisonous creature and still be human. I mean, Spike isn't what I'd call the healthiest eater alive, and it took HIM down. Not only did Ed pick it up, she ATE it. That means digesting it. Ew.

lady_tigera21

i like! tho the rating is way to much. its more of a pg, pg-13 type. this gives me something to think about everyone's favorite ed....i always wondered about her.....

The rating was high because of the "queen of the mega bitches" comment. Sorry.

Mystical Jade

You've raised a very interesting point... It certainly would answer many questions about our dear Edward. She just might be a Ctarl-Ctarl! What a pair she and Aisha would make. Wait a sec; oh God, poor Spike! Poor Gene! ^_^* Oh, and Nate, you way over-rated this! The rating should have been PG; PG-13 if you wanted to be cautious. ^_^

You sound like someone who's read "Beyond the Screen."

Again, about the rating: mega bitch queen. Sorry.

Elf

And yet, you've given me something ELSE to think about! Spike, dead! NOOOOOOOOOO! Sorry, I've only seen five episodes of CB. Sniff, my poor Spike.

Actually, I've since rethought that. He LOOKED dead. But now that I've seen stories where he wakes up in the hospital three weeks later…heh.

Now for the Mediaminer.org crowd, where I really had to stay on my toes:

Runishie
I agree with your theory in depth. I have a challenge for you if u wouldn't mind I would wonder about Edwards Family and how they used to be and what her earlier life was like you know

If she was really kidnapped shortly after birth, her family really wouldn't matter, unless they were Ctarl-Ctarl and therefore supported my theory. If so, she most likely either escaped her capturers, or was sold and then escaped. Either way, she would've been in the wilderness, out where those policemen found her.

Mr. E
I agree with some of your reasoning, but there's a couple points I must address.
First, there's the thing with walking in desert terrain without shoes. Aboriginal/Kiwi people of Australia walk around in the desert areas--which reach temperatures of upwards of 120 degrees regularly--without foot wear.
If you notice, Ed is the same complexion AND from a ravaged planet Earth. (Though, the Kiwi have blonde hair and dark skin, but that's case for the hair dye.)
Furthermore, there are certain races in Africa that do the same things, as well. I point to a scene in the movie Shaka Zulu, I believe it was called, where he [Shaka Zulu] puts out a British soldier's cigar with his bare foot, which causes absolutely no injury.
Back to the Moon-rock-bombarded Earth. In such a hostile, and possibly radiation soaked, planet certain mutations could take place in the human physiology.
Hell, general survival in such a place could warrant a certain toughening up of the last surviving members of the human race, as they would be the strongest of the strong and the fittest of the fit. By that, Ed could be an adopted aboriginal child.
Her father runs all over the world to chart impact points, so what's to say a trip to Australia couldn't have turned up an abandoned child? We don't know.
As for the lobster situation, who's to say that the physiology of said creature wasn't on the level of a rabbit? Granted, most people wouldn't eat raw rabbit meat. But, if someone chose to eat a rabbit raw, it wouldn't do them any serious harm. Add to that, even if the "mutated" lobster--something I never recall seeing on-screen--had mold on it now, certain forms of mold aren't fatal or that harmful to us.
Lastly, if it's an alien life form this lobster, who's to say that it could grow mold or if it was ever really dead? A friend of the family's buys live lobsters all the time, and by that reasoning, Spike could've left it in the fridge. Now, since this is an unknown creature, who's to say that it couldn't live in the cold for a sustained period of time--not unlike certain animals that feed and then sleep for a prolonged time--without food in a refrigerator?
Sooooo, that's my take on Ed. She's an extraordinary human being, birthed in the extreme of extreme desert wastelands, with all the physical attributes needed to survive.

Damn, man. Well, I can only contest one of those points. That creature was definitely more dangerous than a rabbit. Unless the rabbits in your area have poisonous stings. God, I hope they don't. Again, the fact that this creature obviously contains poison that is harmful to humans makes it, in my mind, impossible to safely digest-without doing something to counteract said poison. Ed just picked it up and ate it. So unless the counteraction happened inside her iron Ctarl-Ctarl belly, I don't see it happening.

As far as I'm concerned, the lobster ceased to matter once the mold became mobile!, left the fridge, and developed poisonous, offensive maneuvers. From then on, only the mobile! mold mattered. I don't think it matters if the lobster is dead or alive at that point, since the mold is a separate entity by then. The mold was alive when Ed ate it, so in all likelihood, it had time to sting her before being digested. I'm fairly certain she didn't chew, but swallowed it whole.

Meowch
i always kind of suspected that edward was the offspring of jim and aisha!
she is lacking a tail and the ears though, so she probably isn't a full ctarl-ctarl.

I can settle for her being a half-breed. But the hunters could've easily removed her tail, if she had one. Can't believe I forgot about the ears… >_<

Billy

Ed does not act like a catarl-catarl. She is usually nice to people she knows.
and aiesha is mean to everyone. so ed must be half/half. thank you.

Key Phrase: people she knows.

As I pointed out, Ed has no problem with attacking anyone she suspects of some wrongdoing. Violent tendencies are common among Ctarl-Ctarl.

Aisha is not mean to everyone. She is arrogant and used to getting her way. As time goes on, she adjusts and becomes fairly tame around her friends. She saves meanness for her enemies.

Again, I can accept Ed being a half-breed.

Assuming I ever get anymore/enough challengers, I'll post another response page like this one.