Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Showdown in the Sun ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: As always, these are not my characters (yet), but the plot is completely original. So there.
A/N: Oh yes, people. That's right! I am tossing out these chapters like there's no tomorrow! Also, if it helps you visualize the scene better, the town everyone's in is the one in the Diablo episode. (Sorry, but I don't know its name.) Enjoy!

Chapter 3: Showdown in the Sun
Vash quickly analyzed the situation. He was surrounded by three bounty hunters. Two had drawn their guns, but he was sure the third had one also. He was in a crowd with lots of people, all of them at least beginning to realize that something was amiss. Ed had stopped eating donuts, her gaze shifting quizzically from bounty hunter to bounty hunter. Vash could only assume that she was with them. The insurance girls were looking from Vash to the bounty hunters, unsure what to do. All of this flashed through Vash's mind during the course of a split second.
“Well now,” said the one called Spike, “are you going to come quietly, or is this gonna get messy?”
Vash's hesitation was hardly noticeable. If I fight them, innocent people might get hurt. But, I can't go with them. I still have things I need to do. Can I protect all these people and myself?
Vash was decided. He couldn't surrender. He would have to fight. He reached into his red coat and pulled out his yellow-orange sunglasses and slipped them on. He positioned his hand close to his big silver gun, ready to draw in an instant.
“Sorry,” said Vash cheerfully, his face masking the emotions that were in turmoil within him. “I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that.”
Spike didn't seem surprised. He drew his gun as well and cocked it. Faye and Jet did the same.
“Everyone!” shouted Vash. “Take cover!”
The townspeople began to scatter as they tried to make it to the nearest exit out of the city. Meryl and Milly, on the other hand, ran for cover, determined not to abandon Vash, diving behind the fountain in the center of the town square.
As Faye and Jet were about to open fire, Spike said, “Wait!”
Vash looked from Spike to the other two. Spike never took his eyes off Vash for a second.
“This one's mine.”
“What!” exclaimed Faye. “We have as much a right to this bounty as you do, Spike!”
“Let it go, Faye,” insisted Jet. He stared intently at Vash. “Spike's the best one for the job.”
Faye was about to protest some more when Jet silenced her with a look. Vash observed in silence, considering his alternatives.
Vash watched his opponent carefully, ready for anything.
“So, shall we begin?” asked Spike.
“Spike, before you start, I just want you to know something.”
Vash's gaze flickered in Jet's direction.
“What is it, Jet?” asked Spike impatiently, never taking his eyes off Vash.
“Remember that thing we discussed before?”
What thing? wondered Vash.
“Yeah. Why?”
“It's true.”
It was a simple statement, but Vash noticed it had an effect upon Spike. Spike seemed to scrutinize him, as if trying to figure him out.
“Well, if we're going to fight, we might as well get it over with,” Vash pointed out.
“Yeah. Let's do it.”

Jet watched from the sidelines as both Spike and Jet positioned themselves for the coming match. He motioned to Faye, indicating that they should move to a safer location. She glowered at him, obviously not at all pleased that Spike was going to be the one to bring in the bounty, but she followed him to a nearby building. Jet wiped his forehead. At least the build provided some relief from the heat of the two suns.
Jet scrutinized the two carefully. Vash appeared calm, which was no surprise considering every hotshot bounty hunter on Gunsmoke wanted the bounty on his head. Spike seemed pretty much the same, which was to his credit. After all, Jet thought, I just told him that Vash can destroy entire cities. And that wasn't even half of what the informant had told him. Apparently, the guy had had connections in high places. According to the man's sources, there was a plot going on behind the scenes to find Vash the Stampede. However, that was all Jet had been able to find out because the guy hadn't been able to tell him anything else. Jet guessed that he hadn't been trusted with that information. In any case, it would be in the best interests of the Bebop cowboys to catch Vash now, before anything serious started up.
Jet soon stopped contemplating, returning his attention to the impending fight.

Spike was watching his opponent carefully. Although he appeared gangly, Spike was sure it was only because of his height. Vash the Stampede certainly seemed like a worthy opponent. The spiky hair, sunglasses, and red coat all seemed to add to his intimidating appearance and reputation. Most men might have been intimidated, especially after Jet had confirmed the rumor that Vash the Stampede really had destroyed a town of over one million people. Of course, I'm not most men, though Spike.
“How about we start this little match when this coin hits the ground?” Spike took a coin out of his pocket. Vash didn't respond. Not much of a talker, huh? Spike threw the coin up into the air. It seemed to float in midair. The seconds passed like an eternity until finally...
Thump.
The coin fell.
Spike drew his gun, his arm a blur. Vash did the same. Two shots rang out and echoed throughout the town.
Clang! Clang!
They had disarmed each other. Both guns landed a within a few feet of each other. He's good. Spike assumed his basic fighting stance.
“What d'you say we settle this the old fashioned way?”
Spike watched as a small smile flickered on Vash's face.
“Sounds good.” Vash didn't assume any fighting stance. Instead, he simply stood, hands by his sides, completely relaxed, watching Spike intently.
Spike was beginning to enjoy himself now. “Here I come!”
Then, Spike abruptly charged straight at Vash the Stampede.

Faye was getting impatient. While Spike was out there having fun, she was being forced to sit on the sidelines. She had wanted the bounty for herself, but of course, everyone else had to show up, too. Although she had to admit, upon watching the battle that raged between Vash and Spike, that it was probably a good thing that Spike had decided to fight and not her. Faye couldn't believe how complete the change in Vash's demeanor had been. It was unreal! How could that upside down-haired woman-chasing lunatic who was nuts for donuts and gorged them like a starved hog in heat possibly have become such a serious fighter!
As the fight dragged on, Faye was becoming increasingly agitated until finally she decided to take matters into her own hands. She glanced at Jet, but he was to busy watching the fight to notice that she had drawn her gun. She aimed, not for the kill (she needed Vash alive to collect the reward money), and prepared to fire.

Meryl watched from behind the fountain as Spike and Vash duked it out in the hot midday sun. Dust flew as the two exchanged blows so fast that Meryl could barely follow. Her friend and partner Milly Thompson was also watching, wide-eyed, as both Spike and Vash tried to knock the other out of the match for good. It occurred to Meryl that the other two, Faye and Jet, had moved back from the fight into the shadow of a nearby building. Jet appeared calm, but Faye looked impatient.
Meryl's attention returned to the fight. It had intensified. Spike was attacking with a series of lighting fast kicks, and Vash was dodging them just in time. Meryl couldn't believe her eyes.
How? How is it possible for Spike to keep up with Vash like that? I mean, he's the Humanoid Typhoon! Who could that man be? He's no ordinary bounty hunter, that's for sure.
Vash attacked with a flurry of punches, left and right. Spike dodged them, smoothly avoiding a punch whenever it nearly connected. He seemed to be enjoying himself.
“So,” Spike joked, “is this all you got?”
Just at that moment, Vash struck out with his right leg, grazing Spike's side. As Spike began to fall with Vash seeming to be the victor, he suddenly twisted around in mid-fall, righted himself, and managed to scrape Vash's left cheek with his left arm.
Both leapt nimbly away from each other and began to circle. Vash's lip was bleeding, and Spike appeared to be having a little trouble breathing. Both were taking deep, steady breaths. They appeared even in terms of physical prowess. Still, there's no way he's as good as Vash when it comes to guns, Meryl thought fiercely.
“Heh. Not bad.”
Vash smiled. “You're not too bad yourself, friend.”
“Well, I try.”
Meryl looked from one to the other. Both were smiling, as if sharing some private joke that no one knew about. It was almost as if, given different circumstances, they might have shared a drink together.
Suddenly, something out of the corner of Meryl's eye immediately caught her attention. Faye had drawn her gun and was aiming at Vash! Even worse, Ed (who had somehow managed to disappear during the whole fight) was running toward Vash and Spike, waving her arms at them with a great big grin on her face, looking for all the world as though she hadn't been paying any attention whatsoever to what had been going on. Meryl was horror-stricken when she realized that Ed was going to get in Faye's line of fire, and Faye couldn't see Ed from her position! The bullet meant for Vash would take Ed instead!
“VASH!” screamed Meryl. “LOOK OUT!”
BANG!
The sound of the shot ricocheted across the ghost town.

A lone man stood upon a cliff, motionless, overlooking the city. He was tall and had blue hair, wearing a white coat with a skull on his left sleeve and a raised torture device on his right. His golden eyes were empty, devoid of any emotion. As he observed the city from afar, his white coat flapped in the wind, the only sound breaking the silence. His mouth suddenly curled into a cruel smile, a smile deeper than darkness.
I found you, thought the man in satisfaction, Vash the Stampede.

You have reached the end of Chapter 3! Don't you just LOVE cliffhangers? And even better, it's a DOUBLE cliffhanger! Don't worry, Chapter 4 is already being written so hopefully you loyal fans won't have long to wait! As always, please review!
P.S.
I'm sorry if the fight scene seemed a little lame. I had some trouble writing it so I really hope it's at least passable.