Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Move On ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I have episodes of Trigun and Cowboy Bebop on tape. Does that count?
A/N: Well, people, I'm back with Chapter 8, which is by far the longest chapter I have written. I thought about splitting it into two but decided against it. Hopefully it will entertain. I know I usually update about twice a week, but I'm going to have to stop doing that for now because school is really killing me right now. High school is evil!
Anyway, on to Chapter 8!

Chapter 8: Move On
Spike was dozing on the couch in the main room of the Bebop when he heard the scream. His eyes snapped open as he leapt off the couch and began to race towards the room where Vash the Stampede had been imprisoned. By the time he got there, Jet, Faye, and Ed were already outside the door and the scream had subsided. Faye seemed a bit grouchy (she had been in the middle of a nap), and Jet was wearing an apron, obviously having just come from the kitchen. Ed's expression, on the other hand, was very worried, not at all her usual self. She looked like she was going to cry. Her small dog Ein, as if sensing her sadness, was whimpering softly.
“What the hell is going on?” Spike asked.
“What're you asking us for?” Faye retorted. “We didn't do anything.”
“We were all in the middle of something when we heard the scream,” Jet said. “What do you think is up?” Jet wondered, referring to Vash.
“Maybe he thinks he can get sympathy from us so we'll let him go,” Faye sneered. “Like hell we'd do that!”
“The guy's been asleep for about 10 days. Why now, all of a sudden?” Spike was puzzled.
“Vash-person is crying.”
Spike, Faye, and Jet stopped talking and stared at Ed. Her hand was cupped around her ear as she pressed against the cold, metal door.
“Listen,” she whispered.
As everyone became silent, Spike realized that he did hear something. It was the sound of someone sobbing. Spike couldn't believe it. Vash the Stampede, the Humanoid Typhoon, the man with $$60 billion on his head, was crying. It was mind-boggling. The man had such a horrible reputation. How could it be that he would get this upset? Granted, he had destroyed a whole city and blasted a huge hole in the moon, but no one had died. Spike knew Vash wouldn't kill because Vash had told him so himself, but that still didn't explain the man's behavior. He was such a paradox. One minute he could be stuffing his face full of donuts, blissfully happy, the next an unstoppable fighting machine, and the next he could be grieving. What the hell was his problem, anyway?
“He's really crying.” Faye's voice was barely audible.
“Should we do something about it?” Spike asked.
“No, it's probably best if we leave him alone for now,” Jet said, softly.
“But, Jet-person…”
“No but's, Ed,” Jet told her sternly. “We have to let Vash deal with whatever is on his mind alone. Everyone has their own personal fears and insecurities, but everyone has to deal with them alone. Don't you think so, Spike?” Jet glanced at Spike meaningfully
“Yeah.” Spike knew.
“Well, I just hope he gets over it soon,” Faye said, shortly, “so we'll be able to turn him in for the bounty.”
Me, too, Spike thought.

Legato was standing alone in an abyss of darkness. It was always that way, yet the darkness suited him. He was currently gazing at his left arm, which was lifted in front of him, as he would at a lover. He caressed it with his tongue. He then expanded his senses through that arm, which had previously belonged to Vash the Stampede. The fool had lost it to the Master as punishment for the grievous sin of injuring him. Now, however, it served a purpose. The Master had granted Legato the gift of his own sibling's left arm as a reward for his loyalty.
Not only did the arm grant Legato power to control others, including Vash's Angel Arm, it also granted him insight into the thoughts and feelings of the Master's brother. Right now, as Legato's senses intertwined with the left arm, he could feel anguish coming from the previous owner. Legato smiled.
“Are you actually crying, Vash the Stampede?” Legato's golden eyes glinted with pleasure. “That is wonderful, truly wonderful.”
`Legato.' It was the Master.
`Yes, my Master. What is your bidding?'
`Come to my chambers at once.'
A door opened, letting light shine into the void. Legato entered. The Master's chambers were actually the center of the plant. The Master had spent much time there healing since the incident at July after Vash the Stampede had almost killed him with the Angel Arm. Now, however, the Master was fully recovered. He was standing in the center of the room, silently contemplating his siblings. The Master was tall with light blond hair cut short, wearing a skin-tight white and red suit. As Legato approached, the Master turned around, his blue eyes shifting their arctic gaze on Legato.
Legato walked towards the Master and knelt, his eyes fixed on the floor. The Master had taught Legato to do this as a proper sign of respect towards a superior being. Spiders must never consider themselves above the butterflies.
Legato waited for the Master to speak.
“What have you discovered regarding my dear brother's whereabouts?”
Legato still did not look up. “Master, Vash the Stampede has been taken by a group of bounty hunters.”
The Master's eyes narrowed. “How is that possible? My brother is more than a match for the pathetic spider-like humans that currently rule this planet.”
“Yes, Master. However, apparently they took him following the destruction of Augusta. After firing the Angel Arm, Vash the Stampede was unable to defend himself.”
“That sentimental fool!” The Master's voice was a venomous hiss.
Legato knew better than to interrupt the Master so he remained silent.
“Very well.” The Master's voice was icy and calm once more. “Where have they taken him?”
“Master, they have left the planet on a ship.”
“A ship?” A glimmer of interest appeared in the Master's voice.
“Yes, my Master. I believe they are off-worlders.”
The Master was deep in thought for several minutes. Suddenly, an angry exclamation escaped from the Master.
“That means the pathetic vermin on this planet exist elsewhere in this universe!” The Master was furious. “They are like cockroaches! Crush one, and then another crawls out from a wall!”
“Master, if I may make a suggestion?”
“What is it?” snapped the Master.
Legato chose his words carefully. “We still have the other ship, Master. It has almost been completely restored, according to your specifications. It would be possible for the Gun-Ho Guns to follow Vash the Stampede and not only discover his whereabouts but the whereabouts of the other pathetic humans that continue to exist separate from Gunsmoke.”
“Indeed!” Legato could almost hear the cold smile in the Master's voice. “We will depart as soon as the ship is ready. You may leave.”
Legato rose, still not looking at the Master. As he was about to leave the room, the Master called his name mentally. Legato turned around, looking in the Master's direction. The Master was smiling, but there was nothing warm about it.
`I have one more assignment for you to complete.'
`What is it, my Master?'
`Have you ascertained the location of the two female spiders that traveled with my brother for a time?'
Legato, realizing where this was going, smiled his sinister smile.
`Yes, my Master.'
The Master's smile widened into an insane grin.
`Do you think they would like to travel with us to find my fool brother?'
`Yes, I'm sure they would, Master.'
`Bring them to me immediately!'
Legato bowed once as he left the room, prepared to carry out his Master's orders.
As Legato left, Knives threw back his head and began to laugh maniacally.

Faye was in a pissy mood. For the past few days since Vash had woken up, no one had even seen him. Of course, Jet had opened the door a crack every day to slide food in, but Vash was always on his side facing the opposite direction. Whenever Jet returned to check on him, the food was always untouched.
This had been going on for few days now. Faye was already irritable because Spike had been acting like a complete ass because his wait-and-see plan had worked. The two of them were always arguing. Meanwhile Jet downright refused to get involved, saying, “Don't know and have no opinion,” and Ed was oblivious. Either she was worrying about Vash, or she was playing with Ein or Tomato. Not only that, but there that damned stowaway that they had locked in the bathroom who was always being mouthy to her. In any case, Faye was becoming increasingly bitchy because of the arguments with Spike and the ass-hole stowaway and the fact that their paycheck had apparently decided to starve himself.
She couldn't handle it anymore. She left her room, stomping her feet as loudly as possible. Jet, Spike, and Ed all came to see what had her ticked off this time.
“What's your problem now?” Spike asked in a very bored tone of voice.
“It's not just my problem!” Faye snarled at him. “Our bounty seems to have decided to starve himself! Don't you think we should do something about it?”
“Well, you do have a point,” Jet admitted.
“Of course I have a point,” Faye said, exasperated.
“I think Spike should talk to him,” Jet said.
“WHAT?” Faye couldn't believe what she was hearing.
“You heard me,” Jet told her.
“But-” She began to protest.
“I think Spike-person should talk to Vash-person,” Ed said softly.
Everyone stared at her for a minute before Spike asked, “Don't I have any say in this?”
“Do you really need an answer to that question?” Jet looked at him.
Spike sighed, “No, I guess not. Fine, I'll go see if he'll talk to me.”
Spike began to walk in the direction of the cell, while Faye stared after him. Of course, she was still pissed off at him, but she had to admit that she wasn't a very sentimental person so she really wasn't the best person for the job. Spike wasn't that sentimental either, but for some reason, he just seemed to be the best choice.
Faye shrugged. It made no difference to her as long as the problem was resolved.

Vash had been drifting in and out of sleep ever since he had woken up the first time. He was vaguely aware that food had been brought, but he didn't feel like he could handle anything at the moment. So, he had spent his days either staring at some part of his dismal, prison-like room, or sleeping dreamlessly. Vash was thankful that he could at least sleep peacefully because his thoughts were plagued by the events that had occurred at Augusta and, more importantly, what he had done.
He felt an unrelenting guilt over what had happened. Sure, he could argue that Legato had been the one that activated his Angel Arm, but he still couldn't help but feel it was his fault somehow. Even though he had been unable to stop the transformation of his right arm, he still couldn't rationalize his guilt away.
Vash still wasn't certain where he was, but he hadn't spent much time wondering because of his own inner turmoil. He hadn't seen anyone. Because of this, when he heard the door open, he naturally assumed it was his captor with more food. However, when the door closed, he felt a presence in the room. Vash immediately sat up and turned around to face the door.
It was the bounty hunter called Spike. The last time Vash had seen Spike was after the incident with Monev the Gale.
Well, he didsay he was going to continue coming after me, Vash thought, bleakly. I guess I shouldn't be surprise that he took advantage of his opportunity to capture me after what happened to Augusta. I don't even know how long I was out or where I am. But I wonder, why is he coming to me now?
Spike was sitting in a chair with his arms folded over the back of it. As the two stared at each other, Vash kept his gaze steady.
“So,” Spike began, “you're awake.”
Vash didn't respond.
“Look, pal,” Spike's voice took on a hard edge, “I don't know what your problem is, but it's clear from your scars and prosthetic arm and the way you've been acting since I brought you here about a week and a half ago that you have some serious issues. It's true that I'm a bounty hunter, and I'm sure you understand that the bounty has to be brought in alive to collect any reward. Meaning, I have a problem with you not eating. Are you trying to starve yourself and die?”
It was a very blunt question, and Vash hadn't expected it. He mulled over the question for a few minutes before replying.
“No.”
“Then what the hell is your problem?” Spike wanted to know.
“You don't understand.”
“What don't I understand?” Spike asked him, impatiently.
“I could have destroyed the whole planet with that Angel Arm of mine!” Vash's voice was low with despair.
Spike and Vash stared at each other for a while after that last comment. As Vash's blue-green and Spike's brown eyes met, they began to search for something more, something that couldn't be explained with words: understanding.
Finally, Spike said, “So basically you're scared.”
Vash looked at the bounty hunter with surprise. Vash had thought the bounty hunter would ask about what he had meant by his “Angel Arm”. Spike smiled at that.
“Listen, pal, even though I'm just the ripe old age of 27, I've been around long enough to see what's going on inside other people's heads. You're a mess, in my opinion,” Spike said, simply. “I will tell you, though, that I've never seen anyone as screwed up as you. Everything about you is a contradiction. I mean, think about it. You won't kill, but you have a biggest damned reward on your head that I think anyone has ever seen. You're pretty much a crybaby and a wuss, but you can completely transform into an unstoppable fighting machine at will. How the hell you ended up that way is your business, and I'm not gonna pry.” Spike's eyes glinted. “After all, everyone has something they want to hide.”
Vash listened as Spike gave his opinion straight out without any sugar coating. He weighed what Spike was saying and realized that everything the bounty hunter had just said was undeniably true.
Vash spoke quietly, “You're right. I am afraid.”
Spike started to say something, but Vash cut him off, saying, “I'm afraid because if I do something, people always end up dying. But if I don't do something, I'll be breaking a promise. Either way, I lose.”
“Suck it up.”
Vash started at that. He just stared at Spike, unable to believe what he had just heard.
“You think you're the only one who's been between a rock and a hard place?” Spike asked, incredulously. “Making hard decisions is part of life. Besides, from what you've said, you're obviously someone who likes to dwell on the past a lot. That's really a dumb-ass thing to do. Move on with your life, dammit, and suck it up!”
Vash thought about that for a long time. It was true. He could move on with his life. He could start over.
Spike got up. Vash stared at him.
“Well, I think I've done my good deed for the day,” Spike said in an upbeat tone of voice. Vash continued to stare at him.
He thinks I'm complex? Maybe he should take a look in the mirror.
Spike tossed Vash a pair of worn jeans and a white shirt.
“Clean yourself up. You stink,” Spike told him. “There's a bathroom over there.” He pointed to a door that Vash hadn't noticed before on the other side of the room. Spike smirked. “I guess I'll be seeing you up and about now, won't I?”
Vash smiled for the first time in ages.
“Count on it.”
Spike looked over his shoulder as he left, saying, “By the way, there's something that I think you should see. Or rather,” Spike said, mischievously, “someone.”
Vash stared at the door as it closed, wondering, What is he talking about?

Wolfwood was about to kill the damned woman! Her name was Faye (or something like that), and she was the one who had locked him in this bathroom and handcuffed him to the toilet. And she loved to gloat about it, too!
He had been sneaking around the ship, which he learned was called the Bebop (what a stupid name), when he had been caught raiding the kitchen. That damn woman! She had walked up to him, acting all sexy and seductive in her skimpy clothes, and then she had shoved him into this bathroom and handcuffed him to the toilet. It was undoubtedly the most humiliating moment of his entire life! At least he had had the sense to stash his Cross Punisher somewhere safe.
When I get my hands on her, Wolfwood thought murderously, I'll kill her! AND that damned needle-noggined idiot for getting me mixed up in this mess!
Just then, the door opened. Wolfwood had been ready to unleash a verbal lashing upon the bitch, but it wasn't her. It was Spike, and he had someone with him.
“Wolfwood!” Vash exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”
“What does it look like, Vash?” Wolfwood growled at him. “I came to save you, but this is what I get for trying to save your sorry ass!”
“Can't you at least take the handcuffs off him?” Vash asked Spike.
“I can, but only if he doesn't cause any trouble,” Spike said, with a hint of laughter in his voice.
“Come on, Wolfwood,” Vash turned back to Wolfwood, “promise!”
“WHAT!” Wolfwood exclaimed. “You want me to make a promise like that? Have you lost it?”
“Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!” Vash whined.
Wolfwood grumbled for a while before he agreed. After Spike undid the handcuffs, Wolfwood immediately pounced on Vash and put him in a headlock.
“Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Mercymercymercy!”
“No way in hell!” Wolfwood shouted over Vash.
This went on for several minutes until a loud, obnoxious voice that Wolfwood knew all too well rose above the din, saying, “What the hell is going on in here?”
It was Faye. Wolfwood immediately let go of Vash, who slumped to the floor with a dazed look on his face. He began glowering at her. When Faye saw that Wolfwood was out of the bathroom, her face turned deep red with fury as she marched over to Spike, Wolfwood, and a still indisposed Vash.
“Why the hell is he out of his cell?” Faye demanded.
“Cell?” Wolfwood shouted, incredulously. “That's a toilet, you stupid ass woman!”
“What did you call me?” Faye began to tremble with rage.
“You heard what I said!”
“You asshole!”
“Bitch!”
“Bastard!”
“Wench!”
“Shit-for-brains!”
“Slut!”
The argument continued to escalate until, eventually, Jet, Ed, and Ein were also watching the spectacle. It probably would have gone on like that if Spike, who was about to die with laughter, hadn't intervened. He shoved himself between the two just as the fight was about to get physical.
“Alright, kids, break it up,” Spike shouted above them all.
Wolfwood and Faye moved away from each other, cheeks flushed crimson and breathing heavily.
“Wow, Spike,” Jet said, his sides shaking with mirth, “I never knew Faye liked another guy besides you enough to argue like that with him!”
Everyone started cracking up, including Vash, who had recovered, except for Wolfwood and Faye, who began to glower at each other even more.
Finally, Wolfwood was calm enough again to stop glaring at that insufferable woman. He looked at Vash, who was wearing a pair of worn out jeans and a white shirt. His hair was lying flat, and he needed to shave. Vash seemed to be smiling easily, but Wolfwood was no fool. He had seen that fake smile before. Also, his eyes looked like there was a veil over them, hiding what he was really feeling.
Poor sap, Wolfwood thought solemnly. He never does get a break, does he?
“Vash, aren't you going to introduce me to these people?”
“Oh, yeah.” Vash turned to the Bebop crew. “This is Wolfwood. We met a while back, and we've been friends ever since.”
Vash turned back to Wolfwood and said, “This is Spike, Jet, Faye, and Ed,” indicating each one as he spoke.
“So now that we're all acquainted, what now?” Jet asked.
“Well, there is the matter of the bounty,” Faye said, staring meaningfully at Vash.
“No there isn't, Faye-Faye,” Ed said in a singsong voice.
“What the hell does that mean, Ed?” Faye demanded.
“No more bounty! No more bounty! No more bounty!” Ed sang.
“WHAT!”
“It's true,” Jet admitted. “The bounty was retracted earlier today.” He looked at Vash. “Apparently, my friend, you have been labeled Mankind's First Localized Disaster. Therefore, since you have now been classified as a force of nature, the $$60 billion is no longer valid. In other words, you're a free man.”
Well, I'll be damned, Wolfwood thought.
The stunned silence was broken by Ed happily shouting, “Hurray!”
Ein began to bark as Ed ran up to Vash and tackled him with a hug.
“Aw man!” Faye complained.
Spike shrugged and said, “Well, you win some, you lose some.”
Faye glared at him. “Well, since we can't make any money, why don't we just dump the worthless outlaw and his stowaway friend back onto the hellhole they came from?”
“Actually, I think I'd like to stay with you guys.”
Wolfwood stared at Vash, wondering what the hell he meant by that. He wasn't seriously thinking about staying, was he?
Spike seemed to think about it before saying, “Why not?”
“Oh, come one! You're not seriously going to let him stay here are you?” Faye asked.
“I don't see the harm in it,” Jet said.
“Oh, not you too, Jet!” Faye was not happy.
“Hurray! Vash-person is staying!” Ed chirped, as she began to jump around the room happily. Vash joined her not long after.
Well, it looks like we'll be here for a while, Wolfwood thought. I just hope Needle Noggin knows what he's doing. He doesn't really believe that Knives is just going to let him go, does he?
But, watching Vash playing with Ed, Wolfwood saw that his friend was happy now. Truly happy. Also, the smile that Wolfwood liked to brag about so much was currently beaming on Vash's face. Wolfwood smiled. His friend deserved a little happiness.
That would have to suffice for now.

Meryl Stryfe opened her eyes slowly. The first thing she noticed was that she was on a bed. She lifted herself up sluggishly, rubbing her eyes. She looked around.
She was in a small room that had the basic necessities, but the room itself was cold. Also, the walls were metallic. Her mind felt fuzzy so she shook her head, trying to clear it. She had no idea where she was. At least Millie was there with her, sleeping quietly on another bed.
At least someone can sleep around here, Meryl groused.
Meryl wracked her brain trying to figure out what had happened. She and Millie had just received a letter from the main office telling them to return immediately. They had been taken off the assignment of watching Vash the Stampede.
Tears began to well up in Meryl's eyes again as she thought about it, but she wiped them away roughly. This was no time to get all sentimental.
After that, she and Millie began to pack their things, but…
She remembered vaguely the sound of a voice in her head, but everything after that was a blank.
We've been kidnapped! Meryl realized.
`Right you are, lowly human.'
It was a voice inside her head. Meryl looked around wildly for the speaker but saw no one.
`Who are you?' Meryl asked.
The voice chuckled. `You do not need to know my name, female spider,' the voice hissed. `Yet, since you are literally dyingto know, I shall tell you.' The voice smirked. `My name is Knives, and I am your captor. If you show proper respect, perhaps you will live to see that fool brother of mine again!'
`Brother?'
“You mean he didn't tell you?' Knives said with laughter in his voice. `Oh, that is rich!'
`Who tell me what?' Meryl responded angrily. `What the hell are you talking about?'
`Why, Vash, of course, impudent human! Who else would I mean?'
Meryl's eyes widened with shock at that piece of news.
Knives chuckled. `I think I'll leave you to your own thoughts now. Besides, conversing with such a lowly species is beneath me and quite dull.'
Knives left Meryl, alone and reeling from what she had just learned.

Wow! What a long chapter! I didn't know I had it in me. Anyway, I hope you liked it. I don't know when I'll be able to update again so please be patient. School really is being evil to me right now.
 
Love and Peace!