Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Omega ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Trigun or Cowboy Bebop. I am making no money for doing this (damn!), and yet I continue on.
A/N: Well, people, I'm back with another chapter. Just so everyone knows, Vash, Wolfwood, and the Bebop crew are not in this chapter. I decided I would devote one chapter entirely to what's going on with Meryl, Millie, Legato, and Knives. I hope everyone is in character. Anyway, on to Chapter 10!

Chapter 10: Omega
Meryl had no idea where she was for several days. She passed the time mostly by talking with Millie, sleeping, or staring at the metallic ceiling, contemplating what she could do about her situation. She had been wondering about her captor for a while now. He had called himself Knives, but his name wasn't what kept pre-occupying her. It was what he had said about Vash.
`My name is Knives, and I am your captor. If you show proper respect, perhaps you will live to see that fool brother of mine again!'
`Brother?'
`You mean he didn't tell you?' Knives said with laughter in his voice. `Oh that is rich!'
`Who tell me what?' Meryl responded angrily. `What the hell are you talking about?'
`Why, Vash, of course, impudent human! Who else would I mean?'
Vash had a brother? Meryl shook her head. It had really been a shock. There were more like Vash out there? It was a terrifying prospect. Vash's prowess as a gunman was balanced by his good-naturedness. The man who claimed to be Vash's brother, on the other hand, seemed to have a less than sparkling personality.
Millie seemed nervous also, but she hid her anxiety better than Meryl could. They often talked with each other (there was nothing better to do) about their situation.
“Meryl, why do you think we were kidnapped?”
Meryl sighed. “I don't know, Millie.”
“Don't you think this whole thing is strange, Meryl?”
“What do you mean?”
“I mean, if Mr. Knives really is Mr. Vash's brother, why haven't we met him before now?”
Meryl stared at Millie, her mind analyzing possibilities. That was a good question. Meryl couldn't recall Vash ever mentioning he had a brother. Of course, he had never opened up about his past, anyway. In fact, Meryl had never even asked, except for one time when she had asked Vash why he lived the way he did.
How can you go on living this way? It seems so awful.”
I can't.” The vehemence in his voice startled Meryl, and she looked back up at him. His eyes burned with an inner determination. “I can't do that. I haven't yet buried my past. There's no way I can live in peace until I've come to terms with it and I'm able to finally put it behind me.”
Could that be what he meant? Could Knives possibly be the reason why he wouldn't live a normal life? But, the question was: Why?
“Meryl?”
“Right now, I don't know what to think, Millie. We have obviously been taken captive by this Knives for some sick, twisted reason. I haven't the slightest clue why, but it probably has something to do with Vash. I didn't speak with Knives very long, but from what I could gather, there's some kind of animosity between him and Vash. I don't know why, but I intend to find out,” Meryl said, her eyes burning with determination.
xxxxx
Despite Meryl's strong words, nothing remotely interesting happened during the next few days. The only time she saw anyone was when food was brought. Usually, a man in a black outfit similar to the one Wolfwood wore except with a pink shirt and slicked-back black hair brought food to them. He seemed like an agreeable sort, but he never said a word. Neither Meryl nor Millie attempted to engage in conversation except for one time when Millie asked him his name.
“Excuse me, sir, but would you mind telling us your name?”
The man stared at her for a moment before answering. “I am Midvalley the Hornfreak, Number 11 of the Gung-Ho Guns.”
Gung-Ho Guns? Meryl wondered.
“Gun-Ho Guns?” Millie asked. “Who are they?”
“That's not my place to say. I have already told you more than I should.”
“Why?” they both asked together.
“The answer is simple. I'm under his orders. The choice is not mine.”
“Knives,” Meryl breathed.
“Can't defy him. Anyone working for Knives is at his beck and call. You relinquish all rights and free thought. End of discussion.”
And with that, he turned around and left without saying another word.
xxxxx
And so, a routine developed. Each day, Midvalley brought Meryl and Millie some food, usually bread and water. It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing. There really wasn't much they could do, since Midvalley refused to converse with them further, and the possibility of escape was slim to none. Meryl constantly fidgeted both mentally and physically, but Millie seemed better able to adapt to the situation. Time was irrelevant because they never left the room and had no reference of how time was progressing outside.
Another day started like any other. Meryl had her back to the door when she heard it open. Thinking it was Midvalley with more bread and water, she remained where she was. However, a voice came from the doorway that seemed vaguely familiar, although Meryl couldn't quite place it, but it certainly wasn't Midvalley.
“You are to come with me at once.”
Meryl and Millie both turned around to stare at the newcomer. He was tall with blue hair, gold eyes, and a white coat. The skull strapped to his left arm and the spiked device on his shoulder made him look especially intimidating. However, his golden eyes, at first glance quite attractive, were what repulsed Meryl the most. They were empty, completely devoid of any emotion.
The man beckoned to them again. “Come.”
Meryl found herself, along with Millie, moving towards him. Their limbs moved of their own accord. Meryl's eyes widened with shock as she felt a twinge of fear.
Is he doing this?
“Who-who are you?” Meryl asked, tremulously.
The man smiled. “Legato. Legato Bluesummers. I am to take you to the Master.”
Meryl stared at him. The Master? Did he mean Knives?”
Legato's expression darkened. “Yes, but you will not refer to Him as such. You are unfit to even speak His name.”
Meryl's eyes widened further.
Did he just read my mind?
“Yes, I did. Now, we must be going. First, however, you two will have to cleanse yourselves.”
He does have a point there.
Meryl and Millie had not been able to shower since they had been taken captive. It was certain that they reeked by now. Legato led them to a bathroom and told them to be quick. Meryl and Millie washed themselves quickly. Fortunately, hygiene products were provided. To Meryl's surprise, when they came out of the shower, new clothes were sitting there. The outfits were similar, if not identical, to the clothes they had had before. Both put them on without question.
When the two women finally emerged from the bathroom, Legato began to walk away, indicating that he should follow them. He led them through a maze of corridors, most quite similar in appearance. Then, they passed by something that took Meryl's breath away.
“Meryl, look!” Millie breathed.
They were in space. Meryl stared out through the window into the deep dark of space where stars twinkled back at them. For the first time since her kidnapping, Meryl smiled. She had always liked the stars as a young girl. They had represented to her a freedom that no one could take away.
“Come.”
Meryl glanced one last time at the glorious view before following Legato once again.
Finally, they arrived at their destination. There was a plaque above the door that said “Recreation Room”. The door slid open, and they entered.
A million new sensations assaulted Meryl all at once. They were in a room, yet there was green. So much green. The whole room seemed alive. The grass, flowers, and trees seemed to stretch on forever in all directions. The air was crisp and clean, unlike on Gunsmoke where dust often clogged the air. Meryl was filled with wonder. She had never seen anything like it.
Meryl looked over at her partner, who seemed to be having the same reaction. Her eyes sparkled as she said, “Have you ever seen anything so beautiful in your life, Meryl?”
Meryl shook her head, unable to answer.
“So, you like my garden, do you, lowly human?”
Meryl watched as the speaker walked up. He was tall, in a red and white space suit, and he had short, pale blond hair and arctic blue eyes. His expression, as well as his entire demeanor, was one of supreme disdain and arrogance.
Meryl recognized his voice.
“So, you're Knives.”
Knives eyes narrowed. “I thought I told you to tell them they were not permitted to use my name,” Knives said to Legato, his voice low and dangerous.
“I did, my Master. Apparently the one your brother fancies has no semblance of respect for a superior being.”
Meryl gaped at that statement. Superior being? Vash fancied her?
“Never mind, then. It cannot be helped. Of course,” Knives looked at both of the women with a demonic gleam in his eyes, “I could simply break them and force them to do my bidding. However, they must be intact if they are to be useful to me.” He looked at Legato.
“Yes, my Master. I will take my leave.”
He bowed before leaving the room.
Meryl watched him go before she turned her attention back to Knives. She could definitely see the resemblance between him and Vash. However, while Vash was warm and caring, Knives was cold and heartless. Knives scrutinized them both with his piercing gaze. It was if he was mentally dissecting them. Meryl shifted uncomfortably while Millie simply stared at Knives.
After several minutes of this, Knives said, “Come with me.”
Meryl and Millie followed him as he guided them through the room. Meryl noted how Knives walked with his back to them. He seemed supremely unconcerned that the two girls were not even bound in any way. But then again, what did he have to fear? After all, they were simply two unarmed women, and if he was anything like Vash and his slave Legato, he had nothing to worry about.
Finally, they stopped in a small clearing surrounded by trees. There was a table with three chairs and a spread of a variety of foods. A multitude of rich smells wafted over to the two insurance girls. Meryl's mouth began to water, but she refrained from touching any of it. She glanced at Millie, a warning expression on her face.
Knives, ever his arrogant self, sat down and began to pour himself a glass of red wine. He sipped it.
Without even glancing at them, he said, “Sit down.”
Meryl and Millie didn't move.
Knives looked at them this time. “When I tell you to do something, you will do it. Without question.” His voice was dangerous again and icy as he said, “Sit. Down.”
Meryl and Millie sat. Meryl stared back defiantly at him as his gaze bore into her. He sniffed disdainfully.
“I have not poisoned the food. You may eat it. I know you have not eaten anything besides bread and water for the past week or so.”
“Gee, thanks, Mr. Knives!” Millie said cheerfully. She began to pile food on her plate.
Meryl waited a moment before she started to do the same. Millie was eating rapidly, but Meryl savored every bite slowly. She had noticed that Knives, instead of eating, was scrutinizing them both carefully. Meryl had a feeling that he was watching and analyzing their every move.
Knives smirked. “I see that you are more intelligent than you look, puny spider.”
Meryl stared at him. Obviously, he could read minds like Legato. That wasn't a very comforting thought. If he knew what they were thinking, what chance did they have to escape?
“None whatsoever.”
Meryl glared at him. Knives began to laugh.
“You are indeed one of the most impudent humans I have ever had the misfortune to meet. As much as your defiance irritates me, it is also quite amusing!”
“Oh, really?” Meryl glowered at him. “Well, if you're so high and mighty, what do you need us for?”
“It really is quite simple.” Knives took another sip of wine. “Keeping you here ensures that my fool brother will come rescue you. After all, he is a soft-hearted imbecile.”
Meryl was seething, but her voice was controlled as she asked, “What is this all about? What is going on between you and Vash?”
“My dear brother made the choice to value your inferior species over his own flesh and blood.” Knives's handsome features twisted with disgust. “Therefore, he must be punished.”
Meryl couldn't believe what she was hearing. Vash's own brother was out for his blood? What kind of twisted person was he?
“How can you say those awful things?” Millie asked.
Both Meryl and Knives looked at her. Millie was shaking with rage. She got up from her chair and marched over to Knives, her fists clenched.
“Millie, don't!”
Millie smacked Knives across the face.
Meryl was shocked. She knew that Millie valued family above everything else (her novel-length letters proved it), but this was different. This wasn't Vash whom either insurance girl could smack and only expect whining afterwards. This was Knives! A psychopath! Had Millie lost it?
Knives was knocked out of his chair. At first, he seemed surprised, but then, his face twisted with a snarl. He got to his feet faster than anyone Meryl had ever seen (except perhaps for Vash) and back-handed Millie across the face so hard that she was knocked from her feet, despite her height. Meryl ran to Millie's side.
Millie's face was already becoming swollen and her lip was bleeding. Millie whimpered as Meryl tried to soothe her. Meryl looked back up at Knives, trying to keep the fear from her eyes.
Knives's chest was heaving, and his eyes glinted murderously.
“Don't. Ever. Touch me again,” he hissed, “you filthy human!”
Meryl flinched at every word. He was a monster. How could anyone hope to stop him?
Knives appeared to be calming down. His breathing slowed, and his eyes took on their icy cast once more. He smoothed his suit and ran a hand through his mussed hair. He then returned to his seat, picked it up, and sat down.
Meryl tried to help Millie to her feet. Millie was holding one hand to her face as she wiped the blood away. Tears rolled down her cheeks, but she didn't make a sound. Meryl, despite the situation, marveled at her friend's strength. Knives had hit her extremely hard.
As the two returned to their seats, Meryl could see Knives scrutinizing them out of the corner of her eye. Meryl helped Millie sit down before she took her own seat. As tempting as it was to bolt from the clearing, Meryl simply stayed where she was. The result of such an action was a foregone conclusion.
Knives sipped at his wine again. Meryl wondered how he could just sit there after what had just happened. He seemed calm right now, but it was obvious that he could become a furious psychopath within a split second.
Knives looked at Meryl. She kept her gaze steady.
He sniffed. “I still do not see why my brother insists upon associating with such an inferior breed of animal. However, I will concede that you have handled yourself remarkably well, considering the situation.”
Meryl blinked. Was that a compliment?
“No. It is merely an observation.”
`Legato.'
Legato appeared instantly at Knives's side.
“You called, my Master?”
“Yes. Take these two back to their rooms. I grow tired of their company.”
“Yes, my Master.” Legato turned to the two women. “Follow me.”
Meryl and Millie stood up and followed Legato from the clearing, wondering how things could possibly get any worse.

Knives watched the two women leave. He touched the spot on his face where the taller one had struck him. He would have a bruise there tomorrow.
How dare she! How dare the spider touch me with her filthy human hand! I should have eliminated her the moment she raised her hand against me!
Yet he hadn't. He couldn't explain why he hadn't. Of course, he had definitely reacted badly in that situation. The fact that such a lowly creature was able to incite such a reaction in him angered him more than what she had actually done.
Knives gritted his teeth. He could dispose of them right now. Vash would never know. If and when they ever returned to Gunsmoke to finish what Knives had started 130 years ago, they would finish the extermination of the humans together. It would not matter if the two female spiders had died before or after that day. Also, Knives found himself more inclined to kill the other, the one his brother fancied (even if he himself did not know it yet), than the tall one. Not only because Vash seemed to care more for her, an inferior species, than him, Vash's own brother, but because she reminded Knives of her. The one who had first separated the two brothers with her poisonous lies.
Rem Saverem.
Knives mouth curled into a sneer. She had died like the rest, but not before giving her life to save the other pathetic humans. Knives had thought Rem's death would end Vash's ridiculous sentimentalism, but the damned woman continued to cling to Vash even after death.
And now this new woman had appeared to steal the heart of his brother. Knives seethed at the injustice of it. However, he could not allow his emotion to cloud his judgment. His ship Omega was currently approaching the Earth's solar system. They would be catching up to his brother very soon.
Suddenly, Knives felt a surge of power. It was very faint, but Knives recognized his brother's very distinct energy signal. Vash had tapped into his plant abilities, but Knives could not tell which one he was using because of the distance. It was amazing that Knives had picked up the signal at all. However, the mental link the brothers shared allowed for this.
Knives chuckled.
How fitting that everything would end where it had began so many years ago.

Well, this chapter wasn't as long as the two previous ones, but I hope it was good anyway. I really hope I made Knives evil enough. It's always important to make the villain evil! Anyway, I hope everyone liked it!
 
Love and Peace!