Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Brothers ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Vash and Knives are MINE! Just kidding! I don't own Trigun or Cowboy Bebop.
 
A/N: Well, this chapter is slightly longer than the last. I hope everyone likes it. VASH VS. KNIVES! I really hope everyone likes the action sequences because, as I have said before, they are hard for me to write.
By the way, I am pleased to announce that I finally have an ending planned out for this story! I can't believe it took me about two months to figure it out.
Anyway, since no one wants to read my blathering, on to Chapter 13!
 
 
Chapter 13: Brothers
 
After prying a very happy Millie off of him, Wolfwood guided her, as well as Meryl, back to the Bebop. Despite his happiness at seeing Meryl and (especially) Millie back safely, he had not failed to notice the bruise on Millie's cheek. When he had asked her about it, she merely laughed it off, saying she was fine. When Wolfwood had tried to press the issue, she had firmly said that it didn't matter anymore. That was the end of that.
Occasionally, Wolfwood glanced back at Knives and Vash. Judging by their facial expressions, they were conversing. About what, Wolfwood could only guess. Knives was probably spewing something about the inferiority of the human race while Vash was pleading the cause of humanity and his often obnoxious pacifism.
It wasn't that Wolfwood liked killing people. However, in certain situations, there was no other alternative. Needle Noggin couldn't seem to wrap him mind around that simple concept, much to Wolfwood's consternation.
“Excuse me, Mr. Wolfwood?”
Wolfwood blinked and looked at Meryl.
“Do you think Vash will be all right?”
“Of course, Mr. Vash will be all right!” Millie said confidently. “Don't you think so, Mr. Priest?”
“Well, if he keeps his wits about him, he should be fine.”
What Wolfwood didn't say was that even if Vash did keep his wits about him, the odds still weren't in his favor. The twins were skilled in different areas. While Vash had been in a great many actual fights in his lifetime, Knives had not. On the other hand, Knives had spent the last 130 years perfecting skills unique to his species. Vash had not, shunning his heritage in an attempt to be more human. The two, in a way, balanced each other out.
Wolfwood sighed. No matter which way this confrontation turned out, there could only be one winner.
 
 
Spike watched the three approaching figures. The two women seemed ok, if a little nervous. Wolfwood, however, seemed deep in thought. Something was on his mind, but Spike had noticed that was often the case with him. Because Spike was often the same way, he could tell when Wolfwood was like that. Spike had the feeling that Wolfwood was hiding something from the rest of them. For example, what kind of priest carried around a cross with its own arsenal?
Before entering the hyperspace gate to Earth, Faye had asked Wolfwood what in the hell he intended to do with his cross. Wolfwood had merely smiled and undone the latch on the cloth, revealing what amounted to the largest gun Spike had ever seen. Upon seeing their stunned looks, Wolfwood had said, mischeviously, “I intend to spread a little of His gospel.”
“Long time no see, Mr. Spike!” Millie said, cheerfully.
“Um, yeah.”
“Listen, I just want to thank all of you for coming all this way to get us,” Meryl said, appreciatively.
“Well, we weren't just going to leave you with that maniac,” Jet told her.
“Yeah. Aren't we just one big, happy family?” Faye remarked sarcastically.
“Hurray! F-A-M-I-L-Y!” Ed sang.
Spike addressed Wolfwood. “So, what are the two of them doing now?”
“Looks like they're having a disagreement,” Wolfwood observed.
“What kind of disagreement?” Faye pressed.
“Knives is arguing about the inferiority of the human race and how all humans need to be exterminated while Vash is maintaining that humans should live. That's basically the gist of it,” Wolfwood said, without thinking.
“That asshole!” Faye exclaimed.
“Yeah. But tell me something, Wolfwood,” Jet inquired, “how do you know that?”
Everyone looked expectantly at Wolfwood. Spike watched his expression close up. Spike knew Wolfwood was thinking something along the lines of “Oh, shit.”
“Now's not the time to talk about it,” Wolfwood said, solumnly.
“And why not?” Faye demanded. “You're hiding something from us, and we have every right to know!”
“I'll tell all of you later.” Wolfwood sounded impatient. “Right now, there's something more important for us to worry about. Namely,” he gestured at the two tall figures in the distance, “those two.”
“Fine. But, you'll have to explain yourself sooner or later,” Faye retorted.
Wolfwood smiled a sad smile. “I know.”
At that admission, Spike wondered if he would also have to come clean about his own past some day before turning his attention back to the impending fight.
 
 
Vash's eyes were locked with Knives's as both tensed, readying themselves for the fight. Vash weighed his options as he closed the mental link he had with his brother. In the heat of battle, keeping the enemy off-balance was essential. The best way to do that was not allowing one's opponent to know what one was thinking. In Vash and Knives's case, this rule of combat was taken quite literally.
Both fired a shot at the same time. Vash dodged smoothly, and began running. Knives ran parallel to him, both with their guns aimed at each other. Each time one fired, the other fired as well.
Finally, the two got within a few yarz of each other. Vash lunged forward and grabbed his brother's gun with his left arm. He was slightly surprised to see that Knives had done the same.
Both brothers stared at each other for a long time. Finally, Vash lifted his right leg in an attempt to kick his brother. Much to Vash's surprise, the blow connected, hitting Knives right in his stomach.
Knives let go of the silver gun and clutched his abdomen. His icy blue eyes narrowed with hatred as Vash charged forward, determined to catch his brother off guard.
However, Knives recovered quickly, nimbly dodging Vash's attempt at a punch. Vash was determined to not injure his brother too much. Judging by Knives's disgusted expression, even without the benefit of reading his brother's thoughts, he could tell what Vash was planning.
Knives fired again, only pausing to reload. Vash dodged them all, determined to get into close quarters with his borther. Finally, when he was up close to his brother, Vash knocked the black gun out of Knives's hand, putting his own back in its holster in the process.
Vash stared expectantly at his brother. Knives raised his eyebrows.
“I suppose, dear brother, that this means you wish to test yourself against me in, what is the phrase? Ah, yes. `Hand-to-hand combat.'” Knives sniffed. “How primitive.”
Vash cracked his knuckles. “Are you afraid, Knives?”
“Hardly.”
Vash watched Knives adopt an elegant fighting pose, similar to traditional martial arts, yet slightly different. It would seem Knives had been keeping himself busy for the past century.
Vash stood at ready. Unlike his brother, Vash was not a martial artist. He smiled. Vash guessed that his fighting style would be labeled “highly unconventional”. Namely, street fighting.
“Let us begin, brother. Or shall we merely stand here until we die of boredom?”
“Nah. Let's get started...right...NOW!”
Vash charged.
 
 
Faye watched the two brothers clash. She had thought that the fight between Vash and Spike had been intense. But this, this was completely different. Both moved with such speed and, at the same time, a certain grace. Hell, both of them were dodging bullets at close range!
The two of them were so alike in speed, ability, and power. Yet, they were fighting for such different ideals. It really was mind-boggling.
“You think that Vash has a chance against his brother?” Spike mused aloud.
“I do,” came Meryl's voice.
Faye looked at the petite woman. She was standing stiffly, her eyes locked on the conflict in front of her. Her fists were clenched, shaking. Faye wondered at the woman. For someone so small, she certainly did have a hell of a presence.
“Don't worry, Meryl,” Millie said, brightly. “Mr. Vash will win, and then we'll all be able to go home.”
“I sure hope you're right,” Meryl mumbled.
 
 
Vash struck out at his brother, a left hook, then a right. Knives smoothly avoided them all. Then, Knives assumed a defensive position, his arms folded in front of him. No matter what Vash tried, Knives was always able to defend himself by quickly shifting his arms to block Vash.
Suddenly, when Vash was withdrawing his right arm from a failed punch, Knives struck out with his left leg, hitting Vash squarely in the jaw. Vash slid back a ways before he stopped. Vash rubbed his jaw, hoping that his speech wouldn't be impaired.
Knives chuckled. Vash watched his brother laugh as he straightened himself.
“Vash! I would have thought that my tactic was obvious. I waited for you to reveal a moment of weakness, and then I exploited it. Surely, you can do better than that!”
Vash glared at his brother before charging again. This time, he didn't hold back. The punches came even faster. Knives seemed to be having more trouble dodging, and his face contorted slightly everytime he blocked.
Finally, Vash managed to land a punch in Knives's face. Knives's stumbled backwards briefly, but that was all the opening Vash needed. He immediately took advantage of his brother's plight by renewing his assault with a vengence.
Knives's body jerked each time Vash punched him in the gut. Just when Vash was certain he was going to win, Knives caught Vash's hand in his own. Vash's eyes widened with shock as his brother lifted his head, a smirk on his face.
Knives kicked Vash in the gut, causing him to fall flat on his back. Vash stared dazedly at the sky while his brother brushed himself off. Then, having regained his bearings, Vash sat up, rubbing his stomach.
“Come on now, Vash! You haven't given up yet, have you?”
Vash got to his feet slowly. “Never!”
Knives laughed. “Then come at me, brother, if you dare!”
 
 
“This looks bad,” Wolfwood muttered.
Vash wasn't causing any lasting damage to Knives. Of course, Knives wasn't causing any lasting damage either, but still, the situation didn't look good.
“What do you mean?” Faye asked. “Isn't Vash winning?”
“No.”
“But he's not losing either. They seem about even,” Jet mused.
“True. But, have you bothered to look at Knives?”
Faye frowned. “What do you mean, Wolfwood?”
Spike was the one who answered her. “What he means is that Knives looks supremely confident. Even though neither seems to have the advantage, Knives still looks like he knows he's going to win.”
“But, what does that mean, Mr. Spike?” Millie asked.
“It means,” he replied, “that Knives has something up his sleeve that we don't know about.”
“But, what?” Meryl asked, fearfully.
“I don't know,” Wolfwood sighed.
As they turned their attention back to the duel, all wondered just what was going to happen to them.
 
 
Vash didn't charge this time. Instead, he began circling. Both brothers attempted to read the other's facial expressions and body language to determine what each other's next move would be. As they moved, Vash noticed too late that they were edging closer to where Knives had dropped his gun.
Knives snatched it up, aimed it at Vash, and fired.
Vash leapt out of the way but felt the bullet graze his cheek. A small line of blood appeared on his face. Vash felt the warm liquid trickle down. He slowly wiped it away. Knives had drawn first blood.
“Guess we're back to where we started,” Vash remarked.
“It would appear so. Are you up to it, Vash?”
“Of course. Are you?”
Knives laughed. “Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answer?”
“I dunno. Guess I get a kick out of it.”
“Enough idle chatter. Let us continue.”
Knives opened fire again. Vash fired his own gun, changing the trajectories of Knives's bullets as he did so. Pausing only to reload, the twins continued their battle, firing, dodging, ducking behind rocks, all at the same time.
Vash took cover behind a large stone to catch his breath. As he reloaded, he wondered how he was going to win this. He didn't have an infinite supply of bullets, and hand-to-hand combat hadn't gotten him anywhere.
Vash sighed. He really wasn't getting anywhere with this fight. There was only one thing he hadn't tried...
The Angel Arm.
No! Vash thought furiously. I can't use it! That evil gun! I don't even know how to use it. Even if I did, I couldn't! No. I won't!
Vash was borught back to reality by the sound of bullets ricocheting off the rock. Suddenly, explosions went off above his head. Vash whirled around, only to find his brother standing over him on top of the rock, a look of pure satisfaction on his face. Both quickly fired shots again.
The twin guns were knocked from each of their hands. Vash maintained his cool as his hidden gun slid free of its chamber in his left arm. He leapt up onto the rock, his gun aimed at Knives's head. Knives's unperturbed, looked back at his brother.
Suddenly, Vash felt a shooting pain assault his mind. He cried out in agony, and his gun slid back into place. He clutched his head with both hands, his eyes rolling to the back of his head. He toppled off of the rock, curled in a fetal position.
He was vaguely aware of Knives jumping gracefully off the stone and landing next to him. Knives walked away for a moment only to return with the two twin guns. He knelt down next to Vash.
“Did you really think you could defeat me with merely your clumsy gun and absurb fighting style?” Knives hissed in Vash's ear.
Vash moaned. How is he doing this? I cut off the mental link! How...?
Knives laughed. “Really, brother! Did you think I had been idle all these years? I have perfected and enhanced my abilities far beyond yours!”
Vash opened his eyes slowly. It was a painful process as the tears rolled down his cheeks. He bit his tongue to keep himself from shrieking in pain.
Knives observed his brother for a moment before standing. “Honestly, brother, you truly are pitiful. Had you not neglected your plant abilites, you would not be in this situation right now.”
Vash tried to sit up but couldn't. His nerves were on fire. He tried to move, but his own body refused to obey him. He could feel Knives staring down at him.
“So, what shall I do with you now, dear brother? I could kill you easily enough. However, since I have a soft spot in my heart for my own flesh and blood, unlike you, perhaps I will let you live despite all of the times you have betrayed me.” Knives bent over again and grabbed Vash's face with his hand and squeazed. “Is that not merciful of me?”
Vash shut his eyes tightly. Rem, help me!
“That foolish woman cannot help you,” Knives snarled. “She has been dead for over a hundred years! Stop acting like such a pathetic weakling!”
Knives shoved Vash away roughly.
Is this the end...?
“No, brother, this is far from the end. Since you seem to care about those disgusting humans more than your own flesh and blood, what would happen, I wonder, if they were eliminated from the equation?”
No...
“Yes!”
Knives clutched both guns in his hands. He aimed them at the Bebop. Then, the tops popped off, and the cylinders insided them began to spin and glow with fury.
“No...don't...” Vash managed to whisper.
“Too late, Vash!”
Knives's arms began the metamorphosis. Both transformed into an Angel Arm, one black with red streaks, the other white with silver streaks. Energy began to gather in the cores as the weapons prepared to fire.
 
 
Meryl watched the scene unfold with horror. Vash was down, but Knives hadn't even shot him! And now, the same strange light that had taken Augusta was gathering around Knives. His arms were changing! He was going to fire at them!
“Meryl, look!” Millie shouted.
“Wha-”
The words died in Meryl's throat. Huge meteors were headed directly for them! They plummeted out of the sky, gaining momentum and speed as the went, the crimson glow becoming more intense the closer they got.
“Everyone back to the ship! Now!” Jet shouted.
Even as Meryl heard those words, she knew it was too late.
 
 
The first thing Vash noticed was that the pain had stopped. His brother was still standing over him, but he appeared to be gaping at something. Then, Vash saw.
Meteors, large ones, were hurtling towards them. When Vash saw them coming, he immediately grabbed his gun away from Knives, whose arms had reverted back to normal.
“Vash, what are you-”
Vash silenced him with a look. “Knives, there's no time! Unless we destroy thos meteors all of us will die! The only thing that can stop them is the Angel Arm! We have to work together on this!” Vash pleaded, gripping his brother's shoulders for support.
Knives stiffened. “Please, brother,” Vash begged.
“Fine,” Knives said, curtly.
“Great! There's no time to lose! You'll have to help me!”
“Very well.”
Vash and Knives extended their right arms in unison as both tapped into the power they both possessed. Their Angel Arms took shape, gathering energy.
“Ready?”
“Let's just get this over with,” Knives said in a clipped tone of voice.
“Fire!” they both shouted in unison.
Their blasts connected. Then, the resulting explosion knocked both of them off their feet.
Vash's last thought before he lost consciousness was, Meryl...
 
 
Yes, this is the end of Chapter 13. I thought Knives was very evil, don't you? And, of course, I just had to twist the plot some more with the meteor shower. Anyway, don't be sad! You can read Chapter 14 next week. Hehe...
 
Love and Peace!
 
 
Next time: Nightingale is described as a character for the first time, as well as some of her reasons for following Vash and Knives. Also, Knives will find out for the first time what it's like to be someone else's prisoner.