Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ The Deal ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Except for the plot and the characters I create, I own nothing.
 
A/N: Here comes Chapter 16! More questions are answered. (If you want more on Nightingale's past you'll have to wait a few more chapters.) Some more twists, especially at the end, are in store for you, reader! Enjoy!
 
 
Chapter 16: The Deal
 
Knives sat hunched over on his bed, his eyes closed. It had been about a few days since he had seen the woman who called herself Nightingale, although time was difficult to keep track of in his isolated room. Knives had begun to feel the faint grumblings of his stomach, but he pushed all else from his mind, except for that woman.
Knives hadn't slept since he had first seen her. His mind kept dwelling on her and the last thing she had said to him: “Cousin.” He was having a hard time accepting that there was another like Vash and himself. He had never even heard of a female plant angel that could live without the confinement of a bulb. Except for Tessla. Could this woman be...?
No, Knives hissed to himself, Tessla was murdered over 130 years ago! Those human vermin tortured her and treated her like a lab specimen until she died from the strain. Even then they refused to stop! Dissected her and put her in tubes! They deserved their fate in the Great Fall, as well as the rest of their filthy race!
However, that still did not solve the mystery of Nightingale. Another plant spawn, although female, could be useful to Knives later. He had still not forgotten how she had easily gotten the better of him the previous day. He had underestimated her. That would not have happened had he known what she was.
Knives began to grin. He could imagine now how it would be if Vash and Nightingale both joined his efforts to destroy the human race. It would not be difficult to construct another weapon similar to his and Vash's for her. The three of them would be unstoppable!
However, Knives was getting ahead of himself. First, he needed to learn more about Nightingale. If she was anything like his brother, it would be difficult to persuade her to join him. He would have to be clever in order to win her over. In fact, he had yet to win his own brother over.
Barely an hour later, Knives heard the door slide open. As he had expected, it was Nightingale. She was still clad in the same clothing she had worn the day before. This time, however, she was carrying a tray of food. She set it down on a table near the bed and turned to walk out the door. Knives didn't move, except for a slight narrowing of his eyes.
Right as she reached the door, she stopped and turned around, the corners of her lips twitching. “You are curious about me.”
Knives sniffed. “Woman, what makes you think I have any interest in you whatsoever?”
“I could sense it. Even though I cannot sense your thoughts (which I am sure contain any number of unpleasant things), I can still sense your emotions occasionally.”
Knives's eyes narrowed further. It would seem I must be more careful around her. She is indeed formidable.
“Very well. Are you volunteering any information about yourself?”
Suddenly, Nightingale's mouth stopped twitching and became a thin line. “No. I am not.”
Her eyes hard and cold, she swept out of the room without another word. Knives allowed himself some satisfaction and grinned slightly. It would appear that Nightingale had had her share of misfortune in the past. And that might be all Knives needed to convert her to his side. Supremely pleased with himself, he began to eat.
 
 
Nightingale walked stiffly back to the command center of her ship. Crew members, upon seeing her, immediately moved out of her way, as if sensing she wasn't in the mood to interact in any way with anyone.
She slowed as she got closer to her destination. As she walked, she began to think. Nightingale knew she shouldn't have let Knives's simple question affect her, but it had. Life was unpleasant, even for those who weren't different in the sense that she was. Life was a never-ending struggle, and although it was often difficult, that didn't mean it had to be miserable, as long as one was able to find his/her place in the world.
Nightingale had found her place in the world. It was quite obvious that Knives believed he had found his, no matter how misguided he might be. She found herself wondering what had caused him to hate humans so much. Even if they were an inferior species, it still didn't warrant the forced extinction of their race.
She brushed such thoughts aside as she marched into the command center. Almost immediately, her First Lieutenant saw her enter and saluted. She saluted back.
“Report, Lieutenant.”
“Yes, Captain. The occupants of the Bebop have just begun the transfer.”
“Good.”
“But, Captain,” he asked hesitantly, “who will pilot their ship to Headquarters?”
“You will.”
“Me? Are you sure I'm the right choice?”
She looked at him. “You are competent, efficient, and one of the finest soldiers I have had serve under my command. I trust you with this assignment.”
He inclined his head. “Thank you.”
“Now, take a few of our less-needed helmsmen to the other ship and prepare it for take-off.”
“Yes, Captain.” He saluted smartly once again before leaving the room.
Nightingale watched him leave before sinking into her Captain's chair. She closed her eyes, trying not to think of the Lieutenant's keen blue eyes and brown hair. In the end, he would be gone, just like the rest of them. Their lives were all dust in the wind, fragile and gone in an instant.
“Excuse me, Captain?”
“Yes?” she answered, recognizing the voice of her Second Lieutenant.
“The occupants of the Bebop have come on board the ship.”
“Have they?” She stood up swiftly. “I suppose I had better go greet them.”
Without another word, she left the room, her cloak billowing slightly behind her. As she made her way towards the new residants of her ship, Nightingale pondered what she should tell them. They had the right to know, especially Spike. After all, he had experienced first-hand the consequences of GENE's actions. It would not be fair to keep them in the dark.
However, her mission must take precedence above all other things. Safeguarding Vash and Knives was, at this point in time, her top priority. Nightingale knew she didn't have much time to teach Vash all the nuances of his mental powers. Knives, on the other hand, was a completely different class of problem. Even though she couldn't sense his thoughts, the way his eyes glinted gave him away. He was planning something.
Once again, Nightingale brushed those thoughts away. Right now, she had some guests to greet.
 
 
Meryl took her first step aboard the Eden. The ship itself was immaculate and well cared for. It seemed almost new. However, there was constant activity. Men in blue uniforms rushed purposefully from one location to the next. Men in white uniforms appeared to be cleaning. Men in grey uniforms seemed to be supervising it all. Meryl concluded that White meant janitor, blue meant crew member, and grey meant officer.
Despite the appearance of chaos that one got from a first glance, Meryl noted that everything that was done was done in the most efficient way. There seemed to be a method to the madness, Meryl mused.
“Lookie! Lookie!” Ed squealed excitedly. “All the pretty colors!”
“Wow! They sure do seem busy,” Millie said.
“Yeah,” Faye muttered. “Wonder if they ever get anything done.”
“You're one to talk,” Spike muttered.
“What was that?”
“I didn't say anything,” Spike said innocently.
“Will you two cut it out, already?” Meryl groused. “You guys bicker like an old married couple.”
Both of them shut up after that, giving Meryl more time to observe how the ship worked. Finally, after waiting in the same room for ten minutes, Nightingale appeared.
“I hope you haven't had to wait too long.” She glanced at all the activity occurring behind her. “You might find my crew to be somewhat disorganized, but I assure you they are the best at what they do.”
“What about the Bebop?” Jet wanted to know.
“I have sent several of my best people over to man your ship. It is in safe hands.”
Meryl heard Jet grumble something about letting someone else handle his “baby” before he subsided.
As Nightingale guided them through the long, winding hallways, Meryl took the time to observe her up close. She wore no accessories of any knid, indicating that she did not favor fashion. She was dressed completely in black, which Meryl found somewhat odd. Also, Nightingale walk with confidence, as if she was always sure of exactly what she was doing at all times. Of course, Meryl still wondered about the long, thing scar on her face, but judging by Nightingale's very formal attitude, she was not one to share her own feelings with others.
Finally, they stopped. “These are the guest living quarters,” Nightingale stated. “You will find everything you need here. Your rooms are each equipped with the necessities. Some may hold more than one occupant. It is up to you.”
After some discussion, Meryl, Millie, and Ed (plus Ein) decided to bunk together. However, Faye, Jet, Spike, and Wolfwood decided against sharing rooms. When everyone had placed their stuff in their own rooms, Nightingale guided them to another room. Meryl tried to keep track of where she was because she had a feeling she might never be able to find her room if she didn't.
Nightingale ushered them all into what appeared to be a conference room. A long wooden table with comfortable chairs took up most of the space in the room. Meryl caught herself staring at the table. After all, wood was scarce on Gunsmoke.
Then, Nightingale indicated that they should all take a seat. Meryl wondered what was coming next. So much had happened already.
I guess we're about to get some answers...
 
 
Spike leaned back in is chair and put his feet up on the table. No one told him not to so he didn'tbother to take his feet off the table when Nightingale began to speak.
“I will now explain to you why I have taken the measures that I have.”
“Good,” Spike interrupted, “but first I want to know just who in the hell you are.”
Nightingale shifted her cold gaze onto Spike. “I am who I said I was. An agent of GENE. No more, no less.”
Spike muttered, “Yeah, right,” under his breath.
“Mr. Spiegel, do you wish to listen, or shall I send for someone to escort you back to your room? I would think you would want to know, considering this has a direct impact on your past.”
Spike sat up straight. What did she just say?
“As I was saying,” Nightingale continued, “you all know the history of GENE, Project SEEDS, and everything that goes along with it. However, there is more to it than that.” She paused. “Despite common belief, GENE did not disband after contact was lost with Project SEEDS. It merely went into hiding. A few years after the end of World War II, it had become clear that Project SEEDS had been a failure and pointless. The world had not been destroyed, and all contact was lost with those who had left. Dissent was growing within the ranks of GENE, especially from those who had opposed the immigration in the first place, even as new members joined the organization.”
“Then, in the early 1950's, GENE HQ intercepted an SOS signal from a Project SEEDS ship. Unfortunately, the technological knowledge needed to build a ship was unavailable since all engineers and ships had left with Project SEEDS. Therefore, the only choice remaining was to wait until technology on Earth advanced far enough to build a space ship.”
“At that point, the dissenters, led by a certain Vincent Salasquez, broke off with GENE, believing they were the only ones worthy to rectify the past mistake of Project SEEDS. This included claiming the plant twins, a genetic miracle of that time. They called themselves Genesis Devolution, or GD, as a mockery to GENE.”
“In the meantime, GENE tried to establish itself as a legitimate business. GENE was successful and profited greatly from past experiences with plants. Discoveries made by GENE's front company eventually led to the birth of hyperspace gates. In the meantime, GENE also became involved with a few of the less than “upstanding” elements of society to extend their influence and block that of GD, including a crime organization known as the Red Dragon Syndicate.”
Spike sucked in his breathe upon hearing that. Nightingale continued her narration without stopping.
“The syndicate leader at the time was the young, yet influential, Mao Yenrai. GENE attempted to have a mutually benefitial deal with Mao. GENE wanted a hyperspace gate to Gunsmoke, the planet where Project SEEDS had crashed, as indicated by the transmissions GENE continued to recieve. It wasn't until a little over three years ago that any progress was made in the gate. The reason for this progress was a GENE agent known only as Julia.”
Spike almost choked on that little piece of information. Julia? An agent of GENE? Why didn't she ever tell him?
“Julia smoothed things over with Mao. Also, Mao had her slated to be the woman for his chosen successor,” Nightingale pinned Spike with her sharp gaze, “Spike Spiegel.”
The was an audible intake of breath around the room. Everyone looked at Spike, who wanted to shout at everyone to stop staring at him, damnit.
“However,” Spike's attention returned to Nightingale, as did everyone else's, “GENE did not realize at the time that GD had also sent an agent into the Red Dragon Syndicate. His name was, and still is, Vicious, great grandson of Vincent Salasquez.”
Spike was shocked. His former friend, the man who had tried to kill him several times and almost succeeded, was involved in this madness, too?
“Things became worse when Vivious developed feelings for Julia, who ended up double-crossing GENE to be with Vicious. When he learned Spike felt the same and that Spike was slated to be the next leader of the Syndicate, Vicious snapped. He nearly killed Spike, and Julia disappeared, leaving Mao a prisoner of GD and eventually usurped by Vicious, until he was murdered approximately one week ago.”
There was a dead silence in the room. In these past three years, or even these past few weeks, Spike had never expected to hear anything like this. It was like his whole world had been turned upside down.
“Well, that's a nice story, but tell me what it has to do with our situation right now,” Wolfwood interjected.
“First of all, Vicious is still in charge of the Red Dragon Syndicate. Even though he has lost the rights to the hyperspace gate to Gunsmoke, he now knows that the twins are no longer there, rather in Earth's solar system. In addition,” Nightingale glanced significantly in Spike's direction, “he also knows that his old rival Spike has resurfaced, along with Vash and Knives. He is coming for them, and indirectly, everyone involved with the twins, which is why I requested you to come with me. There was a threat to you.”
“Why didn't you tell us any of this before?” Faye demanded.
“The transmission might have been intercepted.”
“Great. What are we supposed to do about this now?” Jet grumbled.
“For the moment, nothing. We will arrive at GENE HQ within a few days time. Until that time, you may spend your time however you see fit, as long as you obey the rules of this ship.”
Wolfwood raised his eyebrows. “Which are?”
“You may explore the ship, but do not touch what you do not understand. Also, do not distract the crew.”
“That sounds simple enough,” Meryl said.
“Unless, of course, the crew finds you attractive.”
“WHAT?” Meryl thundered.
“Do not worry. I assure you they are well disciplined.”
Meryl sputtered for a moment before becoming silent once again.
“Is there any chance we will be able to visit Mr. Vash or Mr. Knives?” Millie asked.
“Vash, yes. Knives, no,” Nightingale said evenly.
Well, that's no surprise, Spike thought ruefully.
“Hold on. How do we know we can trust you?” Meryl asked.
Nightingale looked her square in the eye. “Whether or not you trust me is entirely up to you. However, I mean you no harm.”
Meryl narrowed her gaze somewhat before sitting back in her chair, a thoughtful look on her face.
“Can we visit Vash-person now?” Ed asked.
Nightingale's lips twitched. “I suppose.”
“Hurray! Thank you, Bird-Lady! Ed has missed Vash-person!” Ed shouted joyfully as she bounced around the room.
Everyone laughed at Ed's antics, except for Nightingale, whose lips continued to twitch. Then, as she led them to where Vash was being kept, Spike began to feel his thoughts wander to something more serious.
Looks like I'll have to confront Vicious again. Soon...
 
 
Legato stared out across the wasteland that was Earth. It has been approximately four days since the Master had been taken. Legato would have killed the pathetic humans who had dared to touch the Master with their unclean hands had he been able to reach the Master in time. However, the damage caused by the meteors had prevented Legato from following the Master.
Legato had ordered the remaining Gung-Ho Guns to repair the ship at once. He could hear them working on it at that very moment. However, they had made little progress, and Legato's patience was beginning to wear thin.
Suddenly, Legato saw several humans, all men, walking towards the Omega as if it was a suitable place for human garbage such as themselves. Legato did the only thing he could in that situation. He went to greet them.
Legato waited for the men to come closer. None of them were particularly interesting except for the one who walked in the front, obviously the leader. He was tall and dressed all in black, and he had a cruel-looking bird perched on his shoulder. His hair was greyish-white, and his lack eyes were cold and empty.
The men stopped. They stared at each other for several moments before the leader broke the ice.
“I have a proposition for you.”
“Do you?”
Legato grinned and lifted up his left arm and made a gesture. All of a sudden, all of the pitiful human's henchmen drew their guns and pointed it at their leader's head. The man did not flinch.
“I intend to wipe out every single human being down to the very last speck of dust. Why do you insist upon rushing to your fate?”
The man grinned a grin similar to Legato's own. “I have something to offer.”
“What could vermin like you possibly offer me?”
“Money and equipment necessary to re-outfit this ship, as well as the location of a certain Millions Knives. But in return, he, as well as you and your followers, will serve me.”
Legato's face was expressionless as he weighed his options. It was true that it might be possible to repair the Omega and find the Master in less time if he accepted this human's help. However, accepting help from a human was repugnant to Legato. On the other hand, the Master would approve of this course of action as long as the human was disposed of in the end. Upon reaching this conclusion, Legato released the henchmen, who looked dazed and confused.
“So, do we have a deal?” He stretched out his hand.
Legato shook hands with the man despite his reservations. “Deal.”
“Good,” the man said as he began to walk away.
“What shall I call you, partner?” Legato inquired.
The man grinned insanely. “Vicious.”
Legato stared at the retreating figure of Vicious. It did not matter that he had made a deal. No human could command Legato or the Master. And in the end, Legato would see the arrogant fool die. Painfully.
 
 
Another twist! Don't you guys just love `em? I know I do. Anyway, I hope no one seemed OOC. I am especially worried about my characterizations of Vicious since I've only seen one Episode (#5) with him in it. Legato's personality also worries me since he's such a psycho. In any case, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!
By the way, there were some references to the Trigun manga in this chapter. Tessla and the signal from a Project SEEDS ship, they're both from Trigun Maximum. If you want to know more, I suggest you buy some! They rock my socks!