Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Dreams ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: As if...
 
A/N: I have an announcement, people! I HAVE FINISHED TYPING THE STORY! Yes, it is true. I typed the last 10 chapters last week. (Yes, it is true that I have no life.) All tht remains is to post them. Anyways, on to Chapter 18!
 
 
Chapter 18: Dreams
 
Nightingale sat in her room, her gaze focused straight ahead. However, she wasn't seeing what was directly in front of her. She stood up, almost without realizing it, and walked over to the wall.
The wall. It was blank, just like her. The only thing she was concious of was a weird feeling. An almost physical discomfort caused by something else altogether.
She stared at the wall for a long time. She took in its smooth surface. It was clean. A blank slate. Something unblemished. It mocked her.
Suddenly, she began punching the wall with her left hand, curled into a fist. She hit it as hard as she could, not realizing that she was causing a dent in the wall's smooth surface. Then, she began hitting the wall with her right hand. Even when her hands began to bleed and her bones began to give way, she continued. The pain didn't matter.
Then, without warning, the chunks of debris from the wall began to fly all around her, peppering her skin. One hit a glass lamp above her head. Shards of glass flew everywhere. When a particularly large shard came directly down towards her, she jerked back but not in time to prevent it from drawing a long cut into the left side of her face.
She stopped hitting the wall. She looked at it blankly. The wall was now a pile of debris. Then, she looked down at her hands. She tentatively traced the thin cut along her face with her fingers, smearing her face with blood. It hurt, but the weird feeling hurt more..
She sat down in the rubble, and the blood mingled with dust. She stared at her hands, both bloody and mangled. She locked her gaze on the floor, and said two words, clear and even.
“Never again.”
Nightingale's eyes snapped open. Her hair was matted, and her face was damp with sweat. She attempted to calm her breathing by taking slow, deep breathes. Tentatively, she traced the scar on her face with a finger, from above her left brow to her cheek, skipping over her aqua eye. Then, she looked down at her hands, long since healed, yet still bearing scars.
It's been a while since that dream. How long has it been since then?
Nightingale glanced at the clock. It was about five in the morning. Sounds of activity could already be heard out in the hallway. The crew would be awake soon. She still had many responsibilities. The ship needed a Captain, Vash needed a teacher, and Knives needed someone to look after his needs. So much to do. Luckily, the first could be taken care of by another helmsman. The other two, however, would require more attention.
Nightingale stretched. She put her feet on the floor and got up. After taking a quick cold shower, she dressed in her standard attire and hooked her katana and whip in place. Then, she swept out of her room, ready to face the day ahead.
 
 
Meryl woke up slowly. She glanced over at the clock. When she saw that it was about six in the morning, she got up and began to get ready. After a shower, she had discovered a few changes of clothes in the dresser. Much to her surprise, they were exactly the same as her own. It would seem that Nightingale had prepared for everything. After putting them on, she left the room, leaving behind the sound of Millie and Ed's snores.
Meryl walked down the halls, wondering which way it was to the mess hall. She noticed that some of the crew members were staring at her, but she ignored them. She had just about given up hope of finding her way anywhere when she bumped into Nightingale.
“Oh! I'm sorry!”
“Think nothing of it,” Nightingale replied.
Meryl stared at her. Nightingale looked the same, but there was something different about her eyes, besides the fact that they were mismatched. Behind the cool, hard exterior, Meryl thought she saw something in the other woman's eyes. Weariness?
“Now, are you looking for something?”
Meryl blinked. I must have been imagining things. “Actually, I'm looking for the mess hall.”
“I appologize. I forgot to inform you that all meals will be delivered to you.”
“Oh,” Meryl said, somewhat surprised. “Then, I was wondering if I could go see Mr. Vash.”
“Of course. However, he may not be awake yet. There is a very good possibility that you will have to wait for him to awaken.”
“That's all right. I'd just like to see him.”
“Very well. Follow me.”
Nightingale turned around and began to walk away. Meryl almost had to jog to keep up with the tall woman. Meryl was slightly out of breath by the time they reached Vash's room. Nightingale put her hand on the scanner again. The door slid open.
“You may stay for as long as you wish. However, be sure to lock the door behind you when you leave.”
Meryl looked at her quizically. “Why?”
“Simple procedure. Regulations are regulations. There are no exceptions.” Without another word, Nightingale left, leaving Meryl alone.
Meryl walked into the room. Vash was nowhere to be seen. His bed was a mess, the sheets ruffled and twisted around. Meryl tutted to herself a bit before straightening the bed out as much as possible. Then, she looked around the room, trying to find Vash. Then, she spotted him.
He was sitting on the floor in the corner, his legs crossed. His arms were folded across his chest. It looked like he was meditating, except for the slight dribble of drool at the corner of his mouth. Meryl smiled and tip-toed over to him, trying not to wake him up.
He seems...calm, Meryl mused. At peace. He never seemed to be that way on Gunsmoke. Maybe it's because there was always that constant atmosphere of him being hunted. Now that the bounty on his head is gone and Knives can't torment him, he can relax.
Vash stirred slightly. Meryl sat down next to him. Vash's eyes flickered open. His gaze shifted to meet Meryl's.
“Meryl? When did you get here?”
“A few minutes ago. You really are a slob, Vash. Did you see your bed?”
Vash blinked the sleep away from his eyes. “No. What'd I do?”
Meryl smacked him lightly. “Your bed was a twisted mess! You must be a restless sleeper.”
“Haha! I guess so.”
Meryl's brow furrowed slightly. “So, why exactly are you sleeping on the floor?”
“Huh?” Vash looked around him. “Oh. Well, after Nightingale left, I continued trying to shove my memories behind the doors. I figured that if I sat on the floor I'd be less likely to fall asleep. So much for that.”
Meryl had no idea what he was talking about, but she got the basic gist of it. “So, how's the training going.”
Vash pouted a little. “Terrible. I can't seem to gt the hang of it. It must be some weird defect I have. I can't ever get anything right.”
The bitterness in his tone startled her. “Vash, you aren't being fair to yourself.”
“Aren't I?”
Meryl was silent. It was true that Vash seemed to have a chronic illness for getting into trouble, but to blame himself for everything bad that happened was ridiculous. Not everything was his fault!
“Vash, not everything bad that happens is your fault! Bad things happen all the time! Look at Spike! His life hasn't been a piece of cake either, you know!”
Vash sighed. “I know Meryl. It's just that, with everything I can do, with all the power that is in my possession, even if I didn't ask for it, I can't even save those closest to me. Like,” he took a deep breath, “Rem.”
Meryl blinked. “You mean, the woman who was part of Project SEEDS?”
“Yes. She was the one who raised me and Knives Almost like a mother.” He smiled wistfully. “She used to say that we were angels. More like devils,” he intoned darkly.
“Vash?”
“Yeah?”
Meryl looked down at her feet. “What happened to her?”
“She was killed in the Great Fall, trying to save the other ships.”
“Oh.”
Both of them were silent for a long time.
“You blame yourself for that, too, don't you?”
Vash didn't answer.
“You do. You don't even have to say it. I know you do.” Meryl glared at him. “You think you're the only one who's ever lost someone important to you? You think you're the only one who's ever felt guilt over that loss?”
“N-no,” Vash stuttered. “I just-”
“You just what?” Meryl glowered. “God! You are such an idiot! How you've survived this long is beyond me! I'm surprised you haven't killed yourself by now!”
“Hey! I highly disapprove of suicide! You know that!”
“You could have fooled me! At this rate, you're going to be dead because of your own guilt! Stop taking responsibility for the actions of others!”
“But-”
“Shut up and listen to me!” Vash clamped his mouth shut. “Knives caused the Great Fall! Knives caused you to destroy July! Knives, through Legato, caused you to annihilate August! All the bad things that have happened in your life are because of him! Stop blaming yourself for the things he's done, and live your own life, damnit!”
When Meryl finally stopped her little rant, she realized that Vash was gaping at her. What? She thought irritably. Has he really never thought of this before? Idiot.
“I guess I never looked at it that way,” Vash admitted.
Meryl sniffed. “Obviously.”
“But, thank you Meryl.”
Meryl looked at Vash. His aqua eyes met her violet ones, and they stayed that way for a long time, just gazing into each others eyes. Meryl's eyes widened when Vash began to lean forward.
“Excuse me, sir and ma'am.”
Meryl and Vash both started. A man in a yellow unifom rolled a tray into the room. Meryl and Vash blushed furiously. The man smiled and said, “I've brought you some breakfast.”
After recovering from their embarrassment, Meryl and Vash got up and made their way over to the tray. As they both filled their plates, the cook began to leave.
“Hey, wait! Where're you going?” Vash asked.
“I have to get back to work in the kitchen. Besides,” the man added, a knowing smile on his face, “I think I can leave you two alone.” Then, he left.
Meryl looked at Vash. “So, we going to eat or not?”
“Ee sho awr!” Vash said, through a mouthful of food.
“Come again?”
Vash swallowed. “I said: We sure are!”
Meryl grinned. “Then, let's eat!”
 
 
Faye slipped out of her room quietly. She had already eaten breakfast, which was brought by a man in a yellow uniform. Once she had finished, she had gotten cleaned up and changed clothes.
Faye looked at the door right in front of her. It was the door to Spike's room. She raised her hand to knock but drew back at the last second.
What was wrong with her? Why was she going to see him? That perverted asshole of a man made her want to throttle him. He had absolutely no redeaming qualities whatsoever, AND he was already in love with another woman, the mysterious Julia. It was obvious from the look he had had on his face when Nightingale had told them about the Red Dragon Syndicate.
Faye glowered at the door. It wasn't like she actually cared about him, stubborn jackass that he was. Did she? Faye bit her lip, unsure what to do. She could either knock on the door and talk to him, or she could just go back to her own room and sit. After a few minutes of deliberation, she chose the latter.
Just when she was about to go back to her room, the door slid open. “Faye, what are you doing outside my room?”
Faye sniffed. “Just checking to see if you were awake, you lazy ass.”
Spike blinked. “I was just about to do the same with you.”
“WHAT?” A vein popped in Faye's head. “Are you trying to imply that I'm a lazy, good-for-nothing asshole like you?”
Spike shrugged. “Well if the show fits, wear it.”
“Bastard!” Faye growled. Without another word, she stomped back into her room and slammed the door.
 
 
Knives lay on his back, staring at the ceiling. Nightingale had not yet come today. However, Knives was confident she would. She had told him herself that she would be the one looking after him. Not that he needed looking after. However, it was true that no one else would be able to handle him like she could since they were both of the same breed.
Knives smirked. Even though she obviously thought she hadn't slipped with him yesterday, Knives knew better. Her reaction to his very simple question proved that. She was indeed a complex creature. Nightingale was hiding something. Knives was going to find out what it was. Afterwards, it would be a simple matter to pinpoint her weakness and convert her to his side. She could not possibly be as stubborn as Vash.
Not long after, Knives heard the door slide open. He sat up, smirking inwardly. It was her, just as he had expected. She looked the same as she had the first day he had seen her. However, the food tray she rolled in made her look somewhat domestic. The look did, and yet did not, suit her.
She rolled the tray over to him. Knives watched her shrewdly as she uncovered enough food for two. Then, she began to fill her own plate. When she was done, she drew up a chair and began to eat at the table.
After a few minutes, she seemed to notice that he had not started. “Are you going to eat or not? Or,” she narrowed her eyes, “is filling your own plate too menial a task for you?”
Knives chuckled. “Impudent woman, of course I am able to fill my own plate. However,” he folded his arms over his chest with a smirk on his face, “since you are my caretaker, I assumed you would do that for me.”
Nightingale raised her eyebrows before returning her attention to her own plate. “You are no longer a child. It is meerly my assignment to bring you food and interact with you, not become your servant.”
Knives chuckled again at her insolence. Then, he began to fill his own plate. After he was finished, he set his plate on the opposite side of the table from her and sat down. The two ate in silence for a while.
“So, tell me, woman, what do you think of the human race?”
Nightingale stopped eating. “Why ask me? You have quite obviously developed your own view of humanity. Why should my opinion make any difference at all?”
“Do not play games with me, woman. I know you are like my brother and I, another autonomous plant angel. An aberration that perplexes the ignorant humans. Surely, after all the time you have spent with humans, you have your own opinion on their filthy race relative to our own, more perfect race.”
Nightingale was silent for some time. Then, she replied, “If you are implying that our race is superior and above the race of humans, then I would have to say,” she met his gaze squarely, “I agree with you.”
Knives was taken aback by surprise with that last statement. Of course, he had always known he was correct in his evaluation of the human species, but after 130 years of attempting to convince Vash of this and failing, Nightingale's answer was unexpected.
“Then, why not join me? We can destroy their pitiful race together!”
Nightingale pursed her lips. “No.”
“Why not?” Knives demanded. “You just said that humans were inferior.”
“So I did. However, that does not mean they completely lack any redeeming qualities whatsoever.”
“Foolish woman!” Knives hissed. “They deserve to be exterminated! Do you not realize what they have done to our race? Abused them and treated them like batteries, not like the living, sentient beings that they are!”
“You do not know-”
“Yes I do know! I have seen it with my own eyes! What happened to Tessla is proof enough!”
Nightingale paused before answering. “I am familiar with the incident.”
“Then how can you say that humans do not deserve to die? And,” Knives said with a disgusted tone of voice, “do not feed me that `Love and Peace' nonsense my dear brother always spouts.”
“It really is quite simple,” she began. “It is true that humans are inferior. However, to eradicate a race based on the evils of a few is not justified. It is genocide. Secondly,” she continued, cutting off Knives's retort, “because we are superior, it is our duty to look after them and guide them to a better future.”
“Do you honestly believe they will accept you?” Knives asked dangerously.
“No. It will take time and effort on the part of both races.”
“There would not be any effort on their part!” Knives sneered.
“Yes, there would be. For, in my experience, a trait quite common to all humans is an unwavering determination to improve their condition. Such has been proven throughout the course of history. Think of the great intellectual movements of the past, such as the Renaissance and the Enlightenment, and the improvements made in technology as the years progressed. Examples of humans striving to make their lives better. Tell me, cousin,” she began to smirk, “what could possibly improve the condition of humans more than cooperating with plants?”
Before Knives could answer her, Nightingale stood up, put all the plates on the tray, and rolled them out the door. The door slid shut behind her.
Knives stared after her, frowning. He could not believe that Nightingale was also ridiculously misguided about the parasitic humans. At least she did not claim that plants and humans were equal as Vash did, the simpleton.
However, they will see. I will prove to them both that I am right about the filthy humans. They will see...
 
 
Well now, how did you like the debate Nightingale and Knives had regarding humans? As you can see, she is somewhere in the middle while Vash and Knives are extreme opposites on this issue.
Love and Peace!