Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Cowboy Bebop Meets Trigun ❯ Aftermath ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: So not fair...
 
A/N: Here comes Chapter 29! Read it! Right now!
 
 
Chapter 29: Aftermath
 
Meryl hesitated. She was currently standing outside of Vash's room, her hand raised to knock. Yet, something held her back. Nothing physical kept her from entering the room, rather it was something intangible.
It had been about a week since Red Dragon Syndicate headquarters had imploded. The building had literally collapsed in on itself. However, the energy of the Angel Annihilator, redirected towards the interior of the building to prevent it from exploding, had been injected into the soil of Mars. After that, there had been a series of violent earthquakes along the fault lines of the planet, causing a great deal of damage. Oddly enough, however, since there were no major cities built over the fault lines, no one was killed even though there was a little property damage.
All because of Nightingale...
After witnessing the flash of light that swallowed Red Dragon Syndicate headquarters, Spike had explained what she had done. Disregarding any consequences, she had willingly plugged herself into the Angel Annihilator for the sole purpose of saving the rest of them. It had been quite a feat of bravery, to be sure.
However, since that day, Vash had been uncharacteristically quiet. Knives had also been acting strangely. Well, from what Vash had said about Knives and what Meryl had seen of him (which wasn't much at all), Knives seemed...different.
Meryl could understand what Vash was going through since she had been around him for a long time, but Knives was a completely different story. Personally, Meryl had thought that once Knives had been delivered from his predicament (which had been his own fault), he would continue his rant about how all humans were despicable creatures that should be exterminated. However, instead, he had been oddly distant, ignoring everyone and everything.
Still, Meryl was woried about Vash. After his strange fit, he had gone into his room and not come out. Whenever she brought him food, she would always find it sitting outside his room, cold and untouched. Finally, Meryl had decided that enough was enough. He couldn't just sit in his room and feel sorry for himself forever, and Meryl intended to give him a piece of her mind. But, now that she was here, she was hesitating.
Why? Why do I feel this way? Vash is a friend. Friends can talk to each other. So, why?
Meryl, determined not to think about it anymore, knocked on the door.
“Who is it?” a muffled voice said through the door.
“Mr. Vash? It's Meryl. May I come in?”
“...Ok.”
The door slid open. Meryl blinked at the sight of Vash the Stampede. He looked terrible. There were large bags underneath his eyes, and his blonde hair was hanging loosely about his face. He was wearing a wrinkled baggy white T-shirt and a loose pair of jeans, also wrinkled. And his eyes, his aqua eyes that usually seemed so alive looked dull and listless, and his face was gaunt and unshaven.
“Vash, you look terrible.”
He smiled wryly. “That's what happens when you don't eat or sleep for about a week.”
Meryl tapped her foot impatiently. “Care to tell me why you're punishing yourself like this?”
Vash blinked. “Well...”
Finally Meryl lost her patience and pushed him into the room, the door sliding shut behind her. She put her hands on her hips and glared menacingly Vash, who seemed to shrink back a little from the short, angry woman before him.
“Vash, you can either tell me what's been bothering you, or you can go on feeling sorry for yourself. So, which is it going to be? Confiding in someone, which might actually make you feel better, or wallowing in your own misery, for whatever reasons?”
“Uh...”
“Well? I'm waiting!”
“I think I'll pick the first one!” Vash said timidly.
“Good.” Meryl nodded in satisfaction. “So, tell me, what's wrong?”
“It's my fault...”
“What's your fault?”
“...that she's gone.”
Meryl stared. So that was what was bothering him? Nightingale's death? But, that was ridiculous. She had made the choice on her own. She had given her life to save them. Why was he begrudging that?
“Vash, with all due respect, you're an idiot.”
Vash looked up, a shocked look on his face.
“Do you honestly believe that her death was your fault?”
Vash bit his lip. “Well, if I had been there, if I gone back for her, maybe she would have-”
Meryl held her hand up, silencing him. “Vash, these are all `what ifs.' What good are they to you now? Besides, how do you know you could have saved her? Things might have turned out much the same. Or, if you had gone back in, you might have died, and then,” Meryl hesitated, “I might have lost you for good. So, please, stop belittling her sacrifice.”
Vash stared at her, understanding dawning in his eyes. Meryl could see, if just for one moment, the old Vash shining through. He smiled weakly.
“You're right, Meryl. But, it's just hard for me because I...I just don't like to see anyone die,” he said, a single tear siding down his cheek.
Meryl pulled him close to her, sharing in the warmth he had. “I know you don't, Vash. But, right now, I think the best way to deal with this is to be grateful.”
Vash stood silently for a moment before wrapping his arms around her as well. “Ok, Meryl. I can try that.”
 
 
Spike stared out across the city, surveying the damage caused by the implosion, a cigarette hanging loosely in his mouth. A huge crater was all that was left of Red Dragon Syndicate headquarters. Not even debris remained thanks to the energy from the Angel Annihilator. Spike released a puff of smoke.
Looks like my war is finally over. And I thought I wouldn't live to see another sunrise.
Scuffing his foot on the floor of the Bebop, Spike began to think. So much had happened. If someone had told him just a few months ago that he would be confronting Vicious again with the help of nonhumans and an organization over 100 years old, he would have laughed himself to tears. Now, however, everything seemed so different.
Then, Spike's mind turned to what had happened not long after the implosion. Faye had approached him. Before he knew what was happening, she had slapped him across the face. After that, she had screamed in his face about how he was a bastard for making her worry. Then, she had clamped a hand over her mouth and fled from the room.
Spike sighed. Women were such pains in the ass. One minute you think you know `em, the next, they change their tune and become someone else entirely.
In any case, since then, Jet, Faye, Ed, Ein, and himself had transferred over to their own ship once again. As of yet, however, they were not permitted to leave. Apparently, Nightingale's mentor Tatsujin was coming to hear for himself what had happened to her. Of course, he probably had something else in mind, but whatever that was, Spike didn't care at this point. Life was too short to spend all one's time worying. That was something that Spike understood all too well.
“Spike? What the hell are you doing?”
“Not now, Faye.”
She scowled at him. “You can't make me do anything!”
“Obviously.”
Faye huffed a bit before sitting down next to Spike. “You really are an, ass. You realize that don't you?”
“Yeah, I'm an ass.”
Faye blinked. “Wait, you're agreeing...with me?”
Actually, I'm just pretending to agree so you'll buzz off. “Whatever you want to believe, Faye.”
She glowered at him. “I should kick your sorry ass right now.”
“Sure, you should. But then, where would you be without my loveable charm?”
“Ugh! What you call `charm' is what most sane people call `obnoxious.'”
Spike shrugged. “Suit yourself.”
“...Spike...”
Spike look at her. Faye's face was lowered, her violet hair blocking any view of her face. Her handswere clenched against her thighs. He raised his eyebrows at this very strangely acting Faye.
“Yeah?”
“I...I'm...I'm sorry.”
Spike blinked. Ok, THAT was unexpected. “For what? Slapping me the other day?”
“No. You deserved that.”
He got up to leave. “Thanks a lot.”
“No, listen.” She grabbed his arm.
Spike stared down at the hand clasping his arm. Then, he looked back at Faye, brown meeting green eyes. Then, Faye blushed and released him.
“Could you just, stay with me a moment?”
Spike blinked. “I guess.” He sat down again.
“Look,” Faye began, “I just want to say that...I'm sorry...about Julia.”
Spike shrugged. “Julia made her own choices. Mourning for her won't bring her back. I guess...I'll just have to move on with my life,” he said, his voice distant.
“I see. Well, I wish you the best of luck with that.”
Faye stood up, brushing herself off. Then, as she was about to leave the room, she turned around and smiled. Not some slutty smile that she used to get what she wanted, not some “I'm gonna kill you smile”, not any of those. It was a true smile. One that said “I care about you.” In a flash, it was gone.
Spike grinned. Who knew the bitch had a heart...
 
 
Knives was sitting outside the Eden, letting the cool breeze wash over him. It had been a week since those images that had suddenly flashed through his subconscious mind. Nightingale's memories. A few days after, Knives had awoken to a very cheerful, tall human female tending to him. Much to his own surprise, he hadn't felt disgusted. Of course, he preferred that she leave (which she did), but he didn't feel repulsed by her. That puzzled him.
Am I changing? Am I not who I thought I was all these years?
Ever since he had woken up, Knives couldn't stop speculating. He could not understand why he did not feel animosity towards humans, especially after the incident with Vicious. Knives was able to accept that this was a result of his own carelessness, but this feeling of indifference had persisted.
More and more, Knives found himself thinking of her. He had felt it the instant she died. Yet, he could not explain why fragments of her memories had suddenly flowed into his mind. Her last moments were what most perplexed him. She had been in pain. That much he knew. But, when she had exhausted the last of her energy, he had felt that she was at peace and had no regrets.
How could you have died like that? Why?
Knives knew the answer to that question. To save them. To save the humans. She had given her life for them. Despite her belief that they were inferior, she had died for them. And that was what Knives could not understand.
“May I sit here?”
Knives turned. A man, a human, was standing behind Knives as though it was a perfectly natural thing to do. He was tall and broad-shouldered with cropped black hair flecked with grey. His piercing, slate-grey eyes seemed to see right through Knives, yet his expression wasn't cold. Oddly enough, Knives felt like he had seen this man somewhere before.
Knives didn't answer. He turned back to watching the red-gold sunset on the horizon. A few minutes later, the man sat down next to him.
“I did not ask for your company, human,” Knives said.
“Maybe not, but I have wanted to speak with you for some time now, Millions Knives.”
Knives continued to ignore him. “Then say what you came to say, human.”
“Very well. My name is Tatsujin. I am Nightingale's mentor.”
Knives looked at him this time. I see now. The man training Nightingale in her memories was this man.
“I see that you know of me,” Tatsujin remarked.
“Indeed,” Knives muttered. “Well then, to what do I owe the pleasure?”
“I merely came to tell you of current events.”
Knives narrowed his eyes. “Current events?”
“Yes. You see, now that the governments of this solar system know of Gunsmoke's existence, there will now be a rescue attempt. Or rather,” Tatsujin corrected, “an evacuation of the planet Gunsmoke within several years time.”
Knives raised his eyebrows. “And why, pray tell, should I care?”
“I know of your goal to liberate your plant brethren. A noble endeavor. You see, once the humans leave Gunsmoke, the services of the plants will no longer be needed. You will have free reign on the planet and be able to create your so-called eden.”
“That is not the point! Humans shall still exist as a plague!”
Tatsujin looked at Knives solemnly. “First of all, you can't always have what you want. There must be compromise in order for the universe to function. In essence, an equivalent exchange. Secondly, your own words lack conviction when you speak them,” Tatsujin said softly.
Knives gritted his teeth. “You know nothing!”
“Maybe. Maybe not. However, keep in mind that I have been around plants for many years, including Nightingale. Who do you think it was that raised her and taught her the fine art of battle?”
Knives glowered at the man. Then, as Tatsujin stood and turned to go, Knives realized something. “Wait a moment.”
Tatsujin raised his eyebrows. “Yes?”
“If you are indeed the one who trained Nightingale from her early years up, and she was indeed approximately the same age as Vash and myself, why is it that you only look like a 40-year-old human?”
Tatsujin gave Knives an appaising look. “I see you noticed.”
“Of course, I noticed. I am a superior being.”
“Well, that's debatable. However,” Tatsujin said, sitting down again. “I will answer your question.”
“Go on,” Knives prompted.
“Well, it is true that Nightingale was approximately the same age as you and your twin. However, for almost half a century, she was held in suspended animation before she was finally discovered by a team of scientists. Unfortunately, all attempts to control her failed as she soon proved that she was wild and unmanageable. Finally, she was turned over to me when I was about thirty years old.”
“You?” Knives asked skeptically.
“Yes. I was already well known as GENE's most accomplished martial artist and weapons master. They believed my methods could discipline her. For twenty years I trained her, and I watched her skills improve.
“However, there was a side effect to spending a great deal of time with her. Before she could control her very unique abilities, she gave off incredible amounts of energy. Because I was exposed to massive doses of it, I began to age much slower than any normal human.
“By the time I was 50, I looked only 40. That same year, I took Nightingale on her first mission. It just so happened that we were on Earth the day the hyperspace gate malfuntioned, cracking the moon and bombarding me with radiation. While Nightingale was unaffected, I became, essentially, ageless and immortal.”
Knives stared. “You're immortal?”
“Yes. However, living forever was not my idea.”
Knives was silent. He found it hard to believe that the controlled woman he had known, if only for a brief amount of time, had once been an unmanageable child.
“Is that all?” Knives asked.
“Actually, no. I was going through Nightingale's things when I found this.”
Tatsujin drew out a small, wooden box of simple design and set it next to Knives. Knives stared at it before taking it in his hands and opening it. Inside were an assortment of odd items. One was a black coffee mug which looked used and worn. Another item that caught his eye was a flower, also old. It was papery and dry, yet somehow it had been carefully preserved. A forget-me-not. Knives looked back at Tatsujin.
“Why are these items so significant?”
“I actually don't know. All I know is that they were given to her by someone.”
“Who?”
Tatsujin was silent for a moment before replying. “That's not my place to say.”
“I see.”
“Oh, yes. This is also a gift.”
Suddenly, a furry, black object dropped down in Knives lap. It was warm with wide yellow eyes. Knives stared at it. The furry black object with yellow eyes was a cat.
“Nyah!” it said.
“What is this?” Knives asked.
“That is Subject # 23. Or, as Nightingale prefered to call him, Kuroneko. However, do not be fooled by his mundane appearance. This feline has become what others would call a “Data Cat,” much like the Data Dog, Ein (which GENE also created before he was stolen from us), which belongs to the crew of the Bebop.”
“What use have I for this creature?”
“Companionship.”
“Why are you giving this creature to me if he is an experiment of yours?”
“Perhaps he will find a better home with you.”
Knives raised his eyebrows. Then, Tatsujin stood to leave once more.
“Tell me one more thing. Who are you really?”
Tatsujin stopped but didn't turn. “My real name is not for you to know. All I can say is that the woman you knew as your mother was my great uncle's wife.”
Knive's eyes widened. “You mean, Rem?”
Tatsujin didn't answer. A few moments later, he was gone, leaving Knives alone to think on what had just transpired, Kuroneko curled up in his lap.
 
 
“Well, it looks like this is goodbye,” Spike said.
Vash nodded before bursting into tears. Meryl smacked him upside the head.
“Stop acting like such a baby!”
“I know, b-but I hate goodbyes!” Vash wailed.
They were all currently standing outside of the Bebop. Tatsujin had agreed to take Vash and Co. back to Gunsmoke so they now had to say their goodbyes. The Bebop crew, on the other hand, would be remaining on Mars to spend the hefty sum of money GENE had paid them for their troubles.
“Ed does, too! Ed will miss Vash-person!” Ed cried as she joined Vash in his wailing.
“Come on, now! Every adventure ends sooner or later!” Faye scolded.
“Yes, b-but, I'm gonna miss all of you!” Vash sniffed.
“Come on, Needle Noggin. It's time we went home,” Wolfwood said.
“Mr. Priest is right! There will be so much to do once we get back home, right Meryl?”
Meryl sighed. “Yeah. The Chief will probably be wondering what the hell happened to us.”
“Listen, we can always come visit you guys sometime,” Jet said.
“Yay! Ed wants to visit Vash-person!”
Vash chuckled, wiping the tears away. “I'd like that, too, Ed.”
“Brother.”
Vash looked at his older brother Knives. Vash grinned. He sure had come a long way since they began this journey. In that respect, Vash had no regrets. He had managed to get Knives to promise to give humans a chance once they got back home. Right now, that was good enough for Vash.
“I know, I know, we're coming!” He faced the Bebop crew. “Well, you guys, I guess I'll be seeing ya!”
“Not likely,” Spike remarked. “You'll probably drag us into more trouble.”
Vash laughed. “Yeah, probably.”
As the Trigun crew boarded the ship and waved goodbye, Vash felt like a burden had been taken off of him. Sure, he had lost a cousin, but he had gained his brother instead. And right now, that would have to be enough.
 
 
WHAT? Have we reached the end of the story?
Knives: You know this is not the end. You haven't posted the epilogue yet.
Oh, yeah. Also, I still haven't posted that one-shot that's sitting on my computer.
Knives: What one-shot?
The one about Nightiingale's past, remember?
Vash: Oh, yeah! You should post that!
Well, I dunno. I think the readers should decide.
Knives: You actually expect the READERS to make an intelligent decision?
O.O Hey, he just insulted all my readers! Are you guys going to stand for that?
Readers: NO! -begin to chase Knives around with torches and pitchforks-
Knives: HELP!
No way. You deserve it.
Knives: I DESPISE you!
We have already established that. Anway, while Knives is being beaten up, review and tell me what you think: Shall I post my one-shot when I post the epilogue? You'll get to find out who gave Nightingale the stuff. Hehe...