Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Beautiful Things Never Last ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: If I owned them, then I'd be rich enough not to care if you sued, but since I don't, and I'm not, please refrain from taking legal action.

Please R&R. I even like flames.

Beautiful Things Never Last

Things this good never lasted. Happiness was always shattered. Love was always broken. Hearts were always crushed. The world was too cruel for this bliss to last. Chocolate eyes saddened at this thought as hands that were never gentle stroked tenderly down his stomach. He sighed lightly, even if it couldn't last, the heartbreak would be worth it. It was worth it if only to experience these small moments of contentment with the one person he truly cared about.

"Spike?" A hoarse whisper broke into his thoughts, and he turned his dark eyes towards the owner of the voice. That beautiful face was so different than it used to be. When they had met, the man had been cruel and emotionless towards him. It had taken him months to break through the cold façade and bring a smile to those dark eyes. Spike trailed his fingers down a pale cheek and then brushed silver bangs out of those eyes.

"Yes, Vicious?" His whisper was quiet, barely audible, but it was sweet and gentle. Here, in the arms of his lover, with no one else there, Spike could drop his guard. Spike could be weak here, he could be sweet and no one but Vicious would know. He trusted Vicious, and Vicious trusted him. This was how it worked.

"You okay?" Vicious' voice was worried. Spike had been sitting, unmoving, sighing every once and a while for the past two hours, saying nothing.

"Yeah, I'm fine. You know I love you right?" His voice was small, almost embarrassed.

"Of course, baby." Vicious smiled. It wasn't his usual dry smirk, though. It was a soft gentle smile that would have looked out of place on his stoic features to anyone other than Spike. He tipped the other man's chin upwards, leaning forward and whispering, "I love you too." After saying this, he pressed his lips softly against Spike's, causing warmth to flow through the other man like a tidal wave. These moments were definitely worth the destruction to come.

As they pulled apart, Vicious asked quietly, "What were you thinking about?"

Spike frowned slightly and then replied softly, "Beautiful things never last." With his words came the sound of a gunshot outside the window as the last rays of sunlight disappeared and a crimson pedal fell from the single rose perched on their windowsill. Beautiful things never lasted.