Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Slip Away ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Author's Note:

As usual, I don't own Cowboy Bebop, and absolutely no one believes that I do.
I also completely fail to own the song "Don't Slip Away" and, even if they don't know that it really belongs to Jefferson Airplane, no one believes that I own it either.




Don't Slip Away
LH-chan '02


The phone buzzes hollowly...disconnected on the other end. The same as its been for the last few days.

She's gone.

She doesn't want to be found.

I wonder what I'd have said...back when I first met her...if someone told me I'd miss her...that I'd be worried about her?

That's easy really. I'd have said they were crazy...that I'd be glad to get rid of her any day.

That she was nothing but trouble.

Bigger share of the next bounty for me.

And I wouldn't throw it away at some cheap casino....


Hell, I'd have never believed that I'd go looking for her...if she left....

But I did....

I'm heading out again, as soon as I force down whatever Jet's cooking. Back to searching aimlessly...over the endless expanse of nothing that's Earth's surface.

She may as well have left the planet, for all the good it's done.

Jet suggested that, actually, but I don't buy it...I'm sure she's still here somewhere.

Its a shame Ed left...she might have shown me where they went before...but all she said earlier was something about a "water-sploosh" place.

Hell if I know what that means.

Funny...I miss the kid too. I even miss that dog, a little.
Everything seems too quiet without them.

It used to be quiet...back when it was just Jet and I. I didn't mind it then, but now...I can't get used to it again.

Ed was damned useful for finding bounty heads too.


But I'm not worried about them, really...Ed's from Earth after all, and she never seemed to have trouble taking care of herself...or getting exactly what she wanted. And Ein, I'm sure he went with her...but he never seemed to need humans for much anyway.

So why am I so worried about Faye? She's a big girl...and tough, just about the toughest I've ever met. She's got her ship, and her guns; and, from what I've seen of her unarmed combat style, she doesn't even need them.

Yeah, it would take a lot to hurt her.

But...she was different...when she ran into me in the hallway.... The look in her eyes, it was...vulnerable...not like the Faye I know at all.

Hell, she apologized to me.


Bolting down the last of whatever Jet put on the plate in front of me...I'm not sure what it was, I wasn't paying attention; I search my pockets for Swordfish's key.

Jet unearths it from beneath the couch cushion, saying something to me as he hands it over--something about taking off tomorrow--I'm not really listening...something about not being able to afford staying here any longer.

I mutter some sort of acknowledgement and move toward the hangar. Jet grumbles some sort of response, but I'm still not really listening.


Damn it, Faye, you're the one who proclaimed us your comrades; you could at least reconnect your phone so we'd know you're still alive. Maybe call and say you're coming back.

Something...

Just so we know you're still there...

Just so I know....


* * * *

See you Space Cowgirl...