Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ In a Sentimental Mood ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"We're going to Earth!" Ed sang as she typed away at her keyboard. "We're going to Earth! We're going to get big bounty!"
 
"So tell us about this mysterious bountyhead," Faye said, putting her empty bowl on the floor for Ein to lick clean. "We can't help you if we don't have any information."
 
"That's right," Spike said. "You can't."
 
"What's that supposed to mean? Are you planning on hogging all the money for yourself? That's not fair!"
 
"That's just the way it is, Faye," he answered, reaching for the last piece of pork. "The only help I need is for everyone to stay out of my business."
 
"How ungrateful can a guy get!" she snapped. "I work my butt off time and time again to help you two track down bounties for chump change; but now that there's a big fish on the line, you leave me high and dry!"
 
"Might as well drop it, Faye," Jet warned as he stacked up the dirty dishes. "You should know by now that Spike doesn't change his mind. If he wants to work this one alone, then let him."
 
"You're a good one to talk, Jet," Faye called out when he disappeared into the kitchen with his armload. "I know what you'll do. You'll wait until he's left, then follow until he gets himself into trouble. Then, after you bail him out, he'll have to split it with you. Which leaves me out in the cold!"
 
"Faye, there is something very important I need for you to do," Spike said, pushing himself to his feet and patting his full stomach. "It's not all that hard of work, and I'll even pay you if you can pull it off."
 
Her eyes brightened and a smile spread across her face at the thought of what she could do with the money. "What is it?"
 
"I will give you 5000 woolongs if…"
 
"Yeah?"
 
"…until we reach Earth…"
 
"Yeah?" She was on the very edge of her seat now, anxious to earn easy money.
 
"…you stay the hell away from me!" Spike finished and strode off to his room, leaving a smoldering Faye and laughing Jet behind him.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
A beeping alarm sounded and Jet flipped a switch to silence it. They'd come through the last hyperspace gate and emerged just outside of Earth's atmosphere. He checked the readout on the monitor and tapped in new instructions for the Bebop's piloting system. After taking a long look at the growing blue and white mass outside the window, he made his way to the docking bay.
 
"Earth, dead ahead," he called.
 
Spike looked down from the Swordfish's cockpit and gave a nod before finishing the last bit of polishing to the ship's interior. He then swung himself down, dropping cat-like to the deck.
 
"Any particular place you'd like to land?" Jet asked.
 
"North-eastern hemisphere," he answered, packing up the supplies and stowing them in the maintenance cabinet. "Any port's fine."
 
"So you're still not going to tell me anything, are you? You've been wound tighter than a spring since we left Mars. That's not like you. It's giving me heebie-jeebies, Spike. I don't like the feel of this. I don't like it one bit."
 
"That makes two of us, Jet," Spike admitted. "But to tell you the truth…this isn't just about the bounty or the money. It's just something I have to do."
 
"Alone, I suppose?"
 
"You got it."
 
Spike headed back to his room and took the case from under his bed. With nimble fingers and practiced efficiency, he had his gun taken apart, cleaned, put back together, and loaded before the old fishing ship landed. With a last check to make sure he was well prepared, he punched the button to open his door - only to come face to face with Faye.
 
"We're on Earth, Spike," she said with a sweet smile. "Do you know what that means?"
 
"It means you're going to take this money to the nearest race track and lose it?" he asked, holding out the promised woolongs.
 
Faye snatched the money from him, her eyes burning with fury. "It means you're about to hear everything I've been holding back all this time to earn these!"
 
Spike brushed past her and tried his best to ignore her ranting all the way to the Swordfish. She was still going strong as he swung his long legs into the cockpit. He leaned over to look down at her and waited for her to take a breath.
 
"You know, Faye," he said, "sometimes I wish we were married."
 
She was shocked silent at the announcement and stood agape, simply staring up at the mysterious dark-haired man she alternately counted as friend and foe.
 
"At least then," he said, reaching to close the hatch above him, "I'd be able to divorce you to get you out of my hair."
 
The Swordfish's engine revved even before the wings had unfolded to lock into place. If there was one place Spike felt completely at ease, it was in the sky. Even though the planet's gravity tried its best to pull at him, he rolled and swerved around obstacles and flew through tunnels and under bridges. He allowed himself a good half hour of free flying time to work out the rest of his pent up energy before having to settle down to his task.