Crescent Moon Fan Fiction ❯ What If ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

It happened in slow motion in her mind as if it wasn't real. As if it was all a terrible dream.
 
She saw his pale skin and his foggy eyes as Akira lay him down on the roof top.
 
`By the time we got to him it was… well it was already too late.'
 
`He can't be dead!! He just can't be!! Mitsuru… it's got to be some kind of mistake!!'
 
She didn't know that Nozomu was tring to keep her from running to him.
 
`H… how is it that all of you can stay so calm? Aren't you sad?!'
 
All she could do was think about how many times he had just told her to leave him the hell alone… that she wasn't a friend to him.
 
She couldn't hear Nozomu talking to her. She didn't see the small bit of regret and saddness in Misokas eyes. She didn't hear the small whines of Akira as he started to cry.
 
`Just let him go… let him go peacefully…'
 
All she could do was cry.
 
`I've taken care of speaking with Oboro. We have permisson to use the “Teardrop”… the rest is up to you Princess.'
 
Once again she could feel the tears fall down her face as the horrible feeling returned to her…
 
Her eyes went wide `I… I can't do it. I can't find him!' she wimpered
 
`What do you mean you can't find him?!' Akira shouted
 
`I… I can't bring him back! I… I…' she chocked back a sob `I just can't do it.' She whispered as if to try and wake herself up from a horrible nightmare.
 
I failed everyone… they were all counting on me to bring him back… and I failed She thought.
 
*knock knock knock*
 
`M… Mahiru?'
 
It was Akira, as it always had been for the past month and a half. That night she had locked herself up and hadn't left her room ever since.
 
`Are you… are you gonna come out today? I'm going to make pancakes and I wanted you to help me… I'll put hocolate chips on yours if you come out and help.'
 
As usual she gave no answer… her heart started to rip apart as it did everyday when she started to here his sobs start again.
 
`Mahiru? Are you there? Ma… Mahiru?' his voice started to shake even more with every word he said.
 
All she could do was sighlently sit and here him torture himself with worry over her.
 
`Damnit give me back OUR Mahiru! I want her back! Not this cold and lifeless shell that has been left behind! MAHIRU!!!' he all but screamed at her.
 
`Akira!' She yelled back `I let him die! Mitsuru died because I couldn't bring him back!' She cried `Hes dead because of me and you know its true! If only… if only I had been strong… like him, than everything could go back to the way it was. He would taunt me while you made food filled with happiness and Nozomu came to my rescue! Also how Misoka would laugh at our childish nature and Katsura play her piano…'
 
She paused enjoying the small illusion she had created in her mind of all of them.
 
She pushed herself off of the door when she heard Akira sliding down the door.
 
`Akira?' she whispered
 
`We need our princess… Mahiru… when she comes back… can you tell her we have pancakes waiting for her?'
 
She heard him get up and walk away… his footsteps growing softer and softer as he walked farther and farther away.
 
All she ould do was stare… he had never said that before… and nothing had ever hit her as hard as the words beneath his words…
 
`He wouldn't want this for you.'
 
She shut her eyes as tightly as possible wishing the pain away as tears once again cascaded down her cheeks.
 
Maybe it was possible… to move on. Even when the road grew dark… there was always the moonlight to guide her.