Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ You Lose, Miko! ❯ A VERY Strange Miko ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I don't own any part of Inyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho. I make no money from this fic.
 
.
..
“Hn. She is a Miko. A powerful one. Her very existence makes her a threat.”
 
“Exactly, Hiei, so you two had better behave yourselves or she'll purify your asses, but she won't hurt Yukina.” Genkai turned to Kagome, still kneeling on the ground, partially to recover from making the barrier and partially to recover from the shock of Genkai's power. Clearly the woman was VERY powerful. “And you, girl. Get up. You couldn't hold that barrier for 15 seconds, 20 tops. That's pathetic. When I get through with you you'll be able to hold it for hours.” Then she snickered. “Either that or you'll be dead.”
 
“Do I get a vote?”
..
NOTE: I have no idea how this got deleted so easily, but here is the repost. There is a small Paragraph added, but really this is being reposted since I somehow deleted it inadvertently. It would have been nice if Mediaminer had at least an “are you sure?” button. So I lose all the hits also. That's depressing.
 
 
Chapter Three: A Very Strange Miko
 
 
--
 
“Genkai san, I am very sorry, but I will be unable to live here full time. I didn't realize you would expect such a thing,” Kagome said sadly. Kurama, Hiei, Yukina, Genkai and Kagome were all sitting outside having another cup of tea. It was a good sencha and Kagome had been enjoying its lovely green color and sweet herbaceous notes.
 
 
“Of course I do. How else can you learn what you need to know?” Genkai pointed out.
 
 
“I need to go to high school. I missed so much middle school and barely got into high school so I have to attend and do well now.”
 
 
Kurama sensed a story behind the words. She certainly didn't seem like the type to just cut school. “How is it you missed so much school, and how do you know about youkai?”
 
 
“Well. . . I was often ill during middle school,” Kagome offered a bit weakly.
 
 
*Fox, the miko is lying.*
 
 
{Agreed, Hiei. Something happened during that time to teach her about youkai and to hone her powers.} Kurama sent silently back to Hiei.
 
 
[A miko is both born and made. Generations of girls have been born since the barrier went up, and never have I sensed a power such as hers. Most of them lived and died without knowing they had the potential to be different from other women. A few trained to work at shrines or developed low level abilities, but not one with such power,] Youko pointed out.
 
 
*For all her annoyances, the old woman is strong. She can be relied upon to protect Yukina when I am not here,* Hiei said.
 
 
{Yes Hiei, but Genkai is not a miko. Her power is not pure and holy. The miko powers are within the girl. They are a part of who she is and it is just a matter of training. Even Yusuke's power was not the same.}
 
 
Genkai eyed Kagome, who was alternating between Kurama and Hiei. She could tell some sort of communication was going on, even though she couldn't tell what kind. “Don't worry about those two,” Genkai said. “They're talking to each other. They do that a lot.”
 
 
“They're telepathic?” Kagome asked?
 
 
“Yes, I am.” Hiei sneered. “I am not some weak ningen.”
 
 
“No, but you ARE rude. Such a typical youkai. You always think you're so superior to us `weak' ningen. There are plenty of youkai who died thinking that.”
 
 
“How many did you kill personally?” Hiei asked with a skeptical expression.
 
 
“I don't know. I lost count after the first few dozen,” Kagome said, and gave the Hiei a challenging look.
 
 
“Miko, you lie!” It came out automatically. Suddenly, Hiei's eyes widened. “You believe that? How?”
 
 
“How, what?” Kagome knew what he was asking, but there was just something about him that grated on her nerves.
 
 
Hiei snarled at her, and then glared at Genkai. “This is the female you trust near Yukina? You are a fool!”
 
 
Kagome stood up and leaned over him with her hands on her hips. Hiei leapt to his feet and glared at her with suspicious eyes. “Don't get your youki in a knot. I would never hurt Yukina. She's nice and inoffensive and seems caring, and why a sweet girl like her would be your girlfriend…”
 
 
Kurama and Genkai both choked on hearing this.
 
 
“… is beyond me, but she's in no danger from me. You on the other hand...”
 
 
“No, no, Kagome san, you misunderstand.” Yukina shook her head and tried to correct her.
 
 
“Miko, you annoy me.”
 
 
Kagome smiled at the surly little youkai with the very unusual hair, and suddenly felt much better. “Thank you very much. It's nice to know I haven't lost my touch in the last year and a half. I just love to annoy annoying youkai.”
 
 
Hiei growled. “HOW?”
 
 
“How do I annoy them? It depends. I have lots of ways.” She just smiled at him.
 
 
Hiei's left eyebrow and his sword hand were both twitching at this point, and Kurama decided he should step in before the miko was killed. He was certain Koenma would take that badly, and Kurama thought Hiei was close enough to kill her before she could raise a shield.
 
 
[That is another strange thing, Kurama] Youko said. [This miko talks about killing youkai, but she sat down with three of us over tea, and even though you attacked her an hour ago, she has no concerns about being close enough she is almost touching Hiei.]
 
 
{Perhaps she is so powerful she has no fears.}
 
 
[Nooo, I do not think so. She is very powerful, but seems to lack training or control. She isn't afraid of Hiei; but even more importantly, she isn't afraid of being close to him. I love puzzles, and this one promises to be very challenging. Maybe she would like to try a kitsune lover] Youko mused. [She's a looker. Once she learns some control, a tiny flash of that holy energy might be very entertaining.]
 
 
Kurama just rolled his eyes internally and said out loud, “Miko, he means…” Instantly Kagome's power flared as she turned towards him and interrupted.
 
 
“That's another thing. Enough with the `miko'. My name is Kagome, not miko, wench, girl, ningen, bitch or any other name you youkai come up with.”
 
 
“Onna,” Hiei said with a smirk. Kagome spun on her heels and glared at the annoying little youkai.
 
 
“My apologies, Kagome san,” Kurama said. “Most ningen do not know youkai exist and most girls who were born after the barriers were created never realized their potential miko powers. There was no need for them anymore. We are all most curious about why you have discovered and used your powers.
 
 
“What barriers?”
 
 
Everyone stared at her. Even Yukina looked shocked. “There are three major worlds. Ningen live in the Ningenkai, not the Makai.” She ignored Hiei's snickering that Ningen certainly didn't live long in the Makai. “Spirits mostly live in the Reikai; Youkai mostly live in the Makai. Kagome san, how can you know about youkai without knowing about the three worlds?

Kagome looked at her feet, as though they held the answer, and blushed slightly. “Well… that is. . .” She hesitated and eyed Genkai. She had been expecting to tell her story to Genkai eventually, but not so soon and not in the presence of unknown hostile youkai.
 
 
Genkai could read her thoughts on her face. “You may as well tell us. I won't train you without knowing your story, and anything like this I know, I will probably tell them anyway,” she said, indicating Kurama and Hiei. “Despite their display today, they are fairly trustworthy with ningen matters.”
 
 
“That may describe the fox, but don't insult me, old woman.”
 
 
Kagome relaxed somewhat. Now I understand, she thought. He's a little like Inuyasha. What he does, and what he says he is doing are two different things. His actions speak louder than words. I do think he would have killed me, though, if he could have reached me earlier. She wasn't concerned about the kitsune, although she wasn't exactly sure what he was. He didn't seem like a hanyou, but was he part kitsune and part human? Kagome made a mental note to ask him more about why her senses were giving her conflicting information. Was he a full kitsune who just had a really good disguise? At any rate, he seemed quite friendly now that he realized she wasn't a threat to a friend of his. She would worry about it later.
 
 
“Have any of you ever heard of the Shikon no Tama?” Half an hour later, everyone was stunned. THIS is Higurashi's granddaughter? I would never have believed it, Genkai thought.
 
 
“You learned from a Taijia.” Hiei had heard of Taijia. They were legendary amongst youkai, like Enma's Spirit Defense Force, only more competent and focused. The SDF liked to think themselves feared, but the Taijia truly were the bogeymen of the Makai. Hiei had never seen one and he thought they had died out either shortly before or shortly after the barriers went up. That was well before he was born. He had, however, heard more than one female tell her child `behave yourself and obey me or the Taijia will get you.'
 
 
“No, I didn't learn any slaying tricks from Sango. I had a hard enough time trying to figure out my miko powers, although I'm pretty good with a bow and arrow now. Sango studied her profession literally from the day she began to walk. There is no way I could pick that up. Honestly, after watching her fight and slay youkai, I think she was special for a ningen. No one had any concept of genetics back then, but I get the impression every one of her clan had really high spiritual energies and physical abilities. Besides, we were all too busy collecting shards and staying alive to learn much in the way of new skills. I learned to roast a great rabbit or fish, though,” she ended with a smile.
 
 
Youko had been quiet during her story. He was too surprised to make any snide comments.
 
 
[She was born with the Shikon no Tama in her body! Just think what we could have done if we had met her before she fell into that well. I wouldn't have hurt her; but she couldn't have missed what she didn't know she had. A little sleeping plant, a little light surgery and we would have been undefeatable.] He could tell that Kurama disapproved of his thoughts. [Oh, well,] he continued pragmatically. [The Shikon is gone. There is, however, this delicious little miko in front of us who seems to like youkai in general and kitsune in particular. Kurama, ask her about that kit. How young was he? She let him tag along with her and the others for his protection. She didn't kill him? That is truly astonishing for a ningen and even more so for a miko.]
 
 
“Kagome san, I am curious about the kit you mentioned. He was young?”
 
 
“Yes. Well, very young for a youkai. He had little fox feet and only came to my knees.”
 
 
“Hn. Was he one of the dozens you killed before you `lost count?'”
 
 
Kagome turned on Hiei in a flash. Her power flared up around her. “That's disgusting. I might have known you were one of those types of youkai, killing anyone different from yourself, even if he was a child. Shippo had bright red hair, the biggest green eyes ever, and little fox feet. He had the cutest little pointy ears and the fluffiest bushy fox tail. That fox tail took a lot of shampoo and conditioner to keep in shape, let me tell you. He was the most adorable creature you could ever hope to see and YOU would have just murdered him and eaten him like those wolf youkai wanted to do. He wasn't just some thing; he was clever and better than most his own age with his fox magic. He liked strawberry and chocolate pocky, and he could make wonderful drawings with his crayons I gave him. Sure he was a little mischievous and sometimes made mistakes and teased Inuyasha too much, but he was brave and strong and intelligent and I'm sure he grew up into the best kitsune ever. You would have just killed him off because you could. That's disgusting.”
 
 
Everyone was stunned to hear Kagome's fierce defense of the little kit.
 
 
[Ask her more. She obviously cared for him. He wasn't just someone who tagged along with them and she didn't kill,] Youko demanded to Kurama. Hiei didn't know what to think. This was a ningen, a miko no less, defending a youkai child? Perhaps she was mental.
 
 
“How do you know he liked pocky and crayons if he was in the Sengoku Jidai?” Kurama asked.
 
 
“I brought them to him, of course. Shippo and Inuyasha loved ramen, especially Inuyasha. It wasn't the good kind, mind you, but those cheap salty instant noodles you make with boiling water. We went through cases and cases of the stuff. It was definitely a good thing they were cheap,” Kagome said with a smile.
 
 
“Are you telling us that for over a year and a half you were traveling back and forth to the Sengoku Jidai carrying modern products? Koenma would faint if he knew,” Genkai said with a small grin.
 
 
“Of course. I'm probably the only one who can honestly say that hairspray saved my life.”
 
 
Genkai looked dubious. “Do I even want to ask?”
 
 
“It involved a toad youkai who had infested a human lord. Under the guise of the lord, he was taking all the girls for kilometers around to save and then eat their souls. Hairspray is flammable and toad youkai are vulnerable to fire,” Kagome explained.
 
 
“So you killed him?” Hiei asked.
 
 
“No, I couldn't let Inuyasha kill him because the ningen host would die.”
 
 
Hiei was wondering when the explanations would get to the dozens of youkai she had claimed to kill. “Let me guess. You risked your life and your companions' lives to try to save the ningen lord.”
 
 
“Well, of course. It worked, too. I got the toad out of the lord by igniting the hairspray and then Inuyasha killed the toad once the ningen lord was free.”
 
 
“Fox, I was right. She IS mental.” Kagome chose not to respond verbally to this comment but she did give Hiei a good glare.
 
 
Kurama just ignored him also. He and Youko were more interested in the little kitsune. “Kagome, it sounds as if you were almost a mother to the little kit. You fed him, protected him, and brought him candy, toys and drawing materials.”
 
 
“Sort of. I definitely brought him treats and I was teaching him to read and write. He definitely contributed, though. He and Kirara did a lot of the fishing when we had fish for dinner. He rode in my basket when I had the bike, and on my shoulder frequently when I was walking. Mama thinks I was more of an indulgent older sister. She thinks if I was really acting like a mother, I would have disciplined him a bit more and not let him get away with so much. It is just that he was so cute even when he misbehaved,” she smiled reminiscently. “He had this big pink ball form that floated.”
 
 
“A kit as young as you describe could float?” Kurama asked?
 
 
“Oh yes. Eventually he could carry one of us on top of him, but not when we first met. That floating form saved his life when I threw him off the cliff at the wolves cave.”
 
 
“You threw him off a cliff?” Yukina was fascinated.
 
 
“Yes. He grabbed hold of Kouga's tail; Kouga is this wolf youkai who kidnapped me once.” Kagome was puffed with pride over Shippo's accomplishment. “Shippo was so clever he disguised himself and attached himself to Kouga, then dropped magic mushrooms to show Inuyasha, Miroku and Sango how to find us. He got all the way to the wolf youkai's cave before being discovered. Kouga was going to feed him to his wolves. He needed me, but didn't care about Shippo. So I said if he did that I would never help show him the jewel shards. That's why he kidnapped me, you see; he wanted to use my ability to see the shards. It is also why he told his pack they couldn't eat me.” She looked down and confessed, “I was really scared at first. I hadn't been in the Sengoku Jidai all that long and wasn't used to death threats yet. All the youkai were calling out parts of me they wanted to claim for dinner. Kouga told them no. But I couldn't let them eat Shippo. I had to say something,” she finished fiercely.
 
 
*Fox, `mental' is too weak a word for this onna. She could have been instantly killed by the wolves. They ate ningen for years.* Hiei sounded very confused.
 
 
[Some still do. I don't understand it either. This is a miko.] Youko was equally confused. Aloud, Kurama asked,
 
 
“So you prevented this adult youkai from killing the kit?”
 
 
“Yes, and then later helped him escape. Shippo transformed so he looked just like Kouga, and then he `dragged' me out of the cave. Unfortunately, we were discovered right outside. Shippo's tail was still a problem for his illusions, and one of the youkai remembered Kouga leaving the cave previously, so they figured it out. I threw Shippo off the cliff so he could escape and then threw something at the youkai's spear which was aimed for Shippo.” She nodded her head. “That wolf was really mad.”
 
 
“What happened?” Yukina was absorbed by the story.
 
 
“Fortunately for me, Kouga came back just in time to witness my near death at the hands of the irate wolf youkai. Also fortunately for me, he was the alpha male. He prevented his pack from killing me. Kouga said he admired my loyalty and then said for the first, but definitely not the last time, `I'm going to make you my woman. There. Got it? You're my woman now!' Then he tried to kiss me,” she said with a blush.
 
 
“And?” Even Genkai was listening closely.
 
 
“Well, I didn't know him, and he had kidnapped me, so I slapped him.”
 
 
“Hn. So this Kouga was one of the `dozens of youkai,'” Hiei said with satisfaction.
 
 
“Hurt Kouga? Of course not. Don't be ridiculous.”
 
 
Even Kurama almost fell over at that statement. “Didn't he try to kill you for slapping him?” He asked.
 
 
“Goodness no, he laughed.”
 
 
“So this wolf was your lover?” Hiei asked? “You, a miko?”
 
 
Kagome gasped. “No! I turned him down many, many times. He just kept asking. He became a very good friend to all of us. Well, I don't think he and Inuyasha would ever really call themselves friends. I had to stop Inuyasha from killing him for kidnapping me though.”
 
 
Hiei eyed her. “You are a very strange ningen, and an even stranger miko.”
 
 
“Most unusual,” Kurama agreed.
 
 
Kagome just laughed. “That's not the first time I've been told that. His pack certainly expected him to kill me. Somehow I always seem to survive the kidnappings.” She shrugged her shoulders at the inexplicity of it all.
 
 
“How often have you been kidnapped?” Kurama asked.
 
 
“Hmm, I'm not sure. Let me think. There was Manton, Miroku very briefly, and then Kouga. Let's not forget Urasue. You could probably count Jura of the hair but that's a bit of a stretch. Then there was Menomaru, and the disgusting troll of a man who ate human youkai peaches… hmm…” She pondered, knowing there were at least a few others.
 
 
“Onna, how did you survive in the Sengoku Jidai?”
 
 
“Inuyasha protected me very well.”
 
 
“Apparently he didn't protect you from being kidnapped,” Hiei said scathingly.
 
 
“Those weren't his fault!” Kagome said. Hiei just eyed her skeptically, making it clear what his opinion was on that subject. There was a lull in the conversation as everyone thought about what they had just learned.
 
 
[Kurama, what are crayons?]
 
 
{Hmm? Youko, what does that matter? They are waxy colored drawing sticks, typically used by children to make pictures on paper} Kurama answered him. Youko was silent for a moment.
 
 
[Waxy? Hmmm, ask her if the kit ever drew a picture of a dog youkai wearing red, a cat youkai and a well?]
 
 
{What?}
 
 
[Just ask her!]
 
 
“Excuse me, Kagome san, did the kit ever draw a picture of a dog youkai wearing red, a cat youkai and a well?” Kagome's eyes got big.
 
 
“YES! That would make sense.” Then she remembered the time just after they met Kouga. “In fact, I remember it now. He definitely did several pictures like that. The dog youkai was Inuyasha. How on earth did you know to ask that?”
 
 
“Youko says he stole an unusual picture about 100 years ago. It was very old, and was made using a waxy substance on paper. He is just now realizing that it could be a crayon. Apparently, he stole it from a red mountain kitsune, and the kitsune has been tracking him ever since. Youko thought it was strange because the picture was unusual, but it wasn't drawn by a great talent, and he could not understand why the kitsune tracked him so relentlessly. If that was Shippo and that was his last remaining tie to a woman he remembered from his childhood, it would explain his tenacity. Normally a kitsune would shrug off the loss and steal something nicer for himself. Instead he's been tracking Youko ever since.”
 
 
[Of course, I'm older and more experienced than he is, so he can't find me, but he IS persistent.]
 
 
{You stole his picture. I'm not surprised.}
 
 
[He was part of the reason I got caught by that hunter. I was leaving an area before he arrived and was moving somewhat more precipitously than I would have liked] Youko reluctantly admitted, not without some anger at this kitsune less than half his age who followed him so doggedly.
 
 
*Hn. He almost caught up with you and you had to run.*
 
 
“Fox, why hasn't he found you? You have not moved in 20 years,” Hiei said aloud, but Youko was the one who answered him.
 
 
[I did NOT have to run. I could have killed him, and if we do meet, I may well do that to pay him back for his part in my death. I try to avoid killing other kitsune, but he will definitely know some pain] Youko thought with anticipation.
 
 
Hiei smirked and looked unconvinced. *The miko will not thank you for that.*
 
 
“The reason he hasn't found Youko is we're in the ningenkai,” Kurama answered aloud. “Before the dark tournament and then the Makai tournament most youkai thought Youko was dead.”
 
 
“What does he want?” Yukina asked.
 
 
“His picture back.” Kagome had been listening to the conversation which was taking place aloud although she could tell some undercurrents were going on between the two youkai. “You stole Shippo's picture? That's just mean. If he had been keeping it and treasuring it for 400 years no wonder he has followed you so closely.”
 
 
[I just thought he had a death wish.]
 
 
“Kagome san,” Kurama said, “the kitsune Youko stole the picture from is not a child. 500 years has passed.”
 
 
“I know, but I'd love to see him.”
 
 
“Miko…” Kagome glared at Hiei. Would the youkai never use her name, she wondered? “If this fox insists on a fight with Kurama, he will lose.”
 
 
“Don't say that. They don't need to fight. Kurama can return his picture and apologize to him.”
 
 
Genkai snorted. Even Yukina stared at her in mild surprise.
 
 
“Kagome san, I have learned Youko Kurama does not make a habit of returning things he acquires,” she said sweetly.
 
 
{Hiei, I had no idea your sister had such a gift for understatement.}
 
 
*Fox* Hiei growled warningly.
 
 
[Kurama, she is very strange for a ningen. Perhaps she really is interested in a kitsune lover.
 
 
*Not one who wants to kill the kitsune she knew as a child* Hiei said pointedly.
 
 
[I can get around that. It would be fun to be able to come out occasionally during sex, and we can't do that with the humans. Plus, I really like the idea of a touch of miko. Danger adds a little spice. I've never had a miko before. She will make a nice addition to my list.]
 
 
{YOUKO}
 
 
*Hn. It's possible. She IS mental.*
 
 
Aloud, Kurama told her, “Yes, well, if he finds me, it is certainly something we can discuss,” He smiled sweetly at her.
 
 
Yukina said “It is too bad you don't have a picture of him. He sounds adorable.”
 
 
“Oh, I have pictures.”
 
 
Genkai choked. “How? You didn't take a camera…”
 
 
“Of course I did. Let me show you.” Kagome started digging through her purse.
 
 
“I can't believe Koenma let all this go on under his nose.” Genkai just shook her head.
 
 
“Who is Koenma? That's the second time you have mentioned him.”
 
 
“Koenma is the prince of the Reikai. Hiei and I used to help his spirit detective Yusuke Urameshi capture youkai who were dangerous to the human world. Occasionally, we stopped humans who were dangerous to the balance of the three worlds.”
 
 
“Wow. No wonder I never sensed any youkai at home. Between the barriers and you `spirit detectives,' there were none. Your boss is the prince of the dead.”
 
 
“He is NOT and never was, my boss.”
 
 
“Yes, Hiei doesn't usually play well with others,” Kurama said slyly.
 
 
Hiei just growled. “You seem determined to die today.”
 
 
“If he wasn't your boss, then why did you help this spirit detective?” Kagome wanted to know. Hiei gave her an evil look and just growled. Kurama answered her question.
 
 
“We stole artifacts from the Reikei vaults and were later caught by Yusuke. As part of our punishment, we were given a form of community service. We had to help Yusuke, who was a new spirit detective at the time.”
 
 
“I would never have been caught if you had not betrayed me and if the detective didn't have infernal luck.”
 
 
“Now, Hiei, I owed Yusuke my life. You know that.” Kurama said.
 
 
“You would not have owed the Toushin your life if you hadn't been irrationally offering it to the mirror. How absurd to offer to exchange your life for some human. Ningen have short lives. What difference does a few years…”
 
 
Kagome felt the temperature drop several degrees as the formerly cheerful and pleasant youkai stared at Hiei. His eyes flashed yellow. Kurama's aura started to flare with anger and his entire body froze as he eyed his colleague, who also froze as if sensing danger. Kagome suddenly understood the redhead might be friendly most of the time, but he was definitely youkai and she knew she didn't want to get crosswise with him. It was even more disturbing since he was outwardly friendly. At least with the one with the spiky hair it was easy to know where she stood. He didn't hide anything.
 
“You do not want to finish that sentence, do you Hiei?”
 
“Hn.” Hiei frowned but didn't say anything else.
 
 
Kurama nodded and his aura settled back down to its relaxed state. He smiled gently at the other youkai. “It all turned out for the best in the end. Would you really have wanted the responsibility of world domination? Would you really have wanted to spend your days ruling and managing a bunch of ningen zombies?”
 
 
“No. It was a ridiculous idea. What would I want with a bunch of weak ningen, even if they were turned into demon zombies. I would have enjoyed the chaos they created, though.”
 
 
“You would have been bored in a day. This way the Reikei owes us for all we did.” Kurama looked at Kagome. “Hiei and I have helped save the Ningenkai on several occasions. Our probation is over,” he explained to her. Kagome wasn't surprised that Kurama had protected ningen, but she looked over at Hiei. He was frowning and pretending the entire conversation wasn't taking place.
 
 
“Why do you stay here in the Ningenkai, then, if you don't have to any more?” Kagome asked Hiei. His glare almost literally set her hair on fire.
 
 
“My reasons are my own, onna!”
 
 
“My name is Kagome. Ka go me. Not `onna.' I suspect you stay for your girlfriend Yukina, to make sure that no stray miko comes to threaten her,” Kagome said with a small smile and a glance in Yukina's direction.
 
 
“Yukina is not my female.” Hiei knew what ningen meant by the term `girlfriend.'
 
 
“I am not surprised. She's so sweet and you're so surly. You raced to her rescue fast enough, though.” Then she grinned and told Yukina, “He's one of the grumpy types. He probably likes you and is scared to admit it. He was desperate to get to you, though, and only a brother or a boyfriend would be that. . .”
 
 
“Koenma be damned. Be silent this instant or die, you obnoxious onna,” Hiei threatened.
 
 
Yukina laughed. “Oh no, Kagome san, I do not think Hiei kun likes me in that way. He does care for me, though, almost as I imagine my brother would if he were here.”
 
 
“I see,” Kagome said as she eyed Hiei and Yukina thoughtfully. Genkai looked at her face and thought that perhaps this girl really did understand. `I can't believe this is Higurashi's granddaughter.' She also thought she should switch the subject before Hiei imploded from stress. Suddenly, she snapped her fingers.
 
 
“I've got it.”
 
 
“What, Genkai san?”
 
 
“Is it contagious to youkai?” Hiei said with a smirk.
 
 
“Don't be impertinent. I may be an old woman, but I can still knock you and Kurama on your asses when I need to. Sorry to disappoint,” she said dryly, “but it isn't contagious. No, I've got a solution for Kagome's need to attend school 6 days a week and her need for training and practice. That is, if you agree to it.”
 
 
I agree to it? Why would I agree to anything that would help that miko?” Hiei was offended.
 
 
“Kagome. My name is Kagome,” She glared at him. Hiei eyed her and looked completely indifferent to her assertion.
 
 
“You will agree to it because it gives you something you seem to want. It gives you an opportunity to attack Kagome.” Hiei raised his eyebrow in query. Everyone else looked startled.
 
 
“Now don't look at me like that. I haven't given away my last marble. Kagome, you need work, practice and training more than a day and a half a week. So you will come to me on Saturday after school and stay until Sunday night. If there is no school scheduled for the Saturday I expect you here Friday night. During the week Hiei can attack you.”
 
 
Hiei smiled. “I like this plan.”
 
 
“There will be rules, or course.” Hiei scowled at that. “Hiei, you can attack her any time she is alone or with her family. In fact, I encourage you to attack her family. It will give her more to protect.” Genkai laughed at the inner picture she created of `Hiei versus useless old man.'
 
 
“I won't have my family hurt,” Kagome said fiercely.
 
 
“Then you had better improve your barrier and the time you can hold it, girl. Hiei, don't attack her family if she isn't there to protect them. Girl, show me your barrier again.” Kagome stepped away from Yukina and created a barrier.
 
 
“Why is it pink?”
 
 
Kagome looked confused. “It's holy energy. It is always pink. Kaede's barriers were pink and she had been making barriers most of her life.”
 
 
“Humph. Antiquated. You are right it is holy energy, but it is wasted. All the energy going into making the barrier pink is energy which can't be used to strengthen the barrier. It's just wasted. Your first step is to make the barrier invisible. A spiritually aware person will sense it and know where it is located, but it should be invisible to everyone,” Genkai explained. Kagome was excited. This was just the sort of information she was hoping to learn - new tricks and ideas.
 
 
“Once she has an invisible barrier, you may attack her in public, but if you are seen by a normal human, you lose the round.”
 
 
“I will NOT lose to this miko.” Hiei announced.
 
 
“I didn't think so,” Genkai said with a smile. “Girl, you will defend yourself against Hiei's attacks. Protect your friends and family and attack Hiei when you can. Don't purify him, though. Strange as it sounds, he does have friends who would be unhappy if that happened.” Kagome giggled and Hiei scowled.
 
 
“Old woman, I can be pushed into taking you on.”
 
 
“Yes, but it would take the dragon to do me in, and that's a bit much for just a comment.” Hiei growled at that and Genkai continued. “As I was saying, you will learn to make invisible barriers and attack Hiei.”
 
 
“I'm sorry, but I can't use my miko energy as an attack without a bow and arrow. That would be a little noticeable in public if I tried to carry those around with me.”
 
 
“You have a lot to learn, girl. Your grandfather certainly couldn't teach you.”
 
 
“Onna, you could not attack me.” Hiei said angrily.
 
 
“What?”
 
 
“You threatened to purify me when I attacked earlier. You lied.”
 
 
“Of course I did. I certainly wasn't going to let you know it was an idle threat.” Kagome looked at him as if he were crazy to consider such an option.
 
 
“If the old woman had not prevented it, I would have killed you. Why did you not use the barrier to run?” Kagome looked truly shocked at Hiei's comment.
 
 
“And leave Yukina and Genkai Sensai to you when your aura was dark and violent? I couldn't do that. I had to try. Yukina didn't seem as if she could protect herself, and I thought Genkai Sensai would not be able to either. I'm sorry, Genkai Sensai,” she nodded in her direction.
 
 
Hiei was silent. He knew the miko had just met Yukina and Genkai that day but she had been willing to risk her life to protect them. It was especially strange since Yukina was a youkai. It made no sense, but he could tell she wasn't lying.
 
 
“Mikos kill youkai. That is why they exist.”
 
 
“Some do,” Kagome agreed pleasantly. “So do I when I have to do it, but it is much better to make friends.”
 
 
“Hn. I was right. You are mental. Be prepared. I will attack you and your family as I please.” Then he vanished into the trees.
 
.
.
.
 
 
- * - * --
 
Chapter 4: the fights begin
It will probably be a week before Chapter 4 is posted as the story has reached the point where I want to add more to it.
 
 
Thank you VERY much to each of my reviewers:
KagHieiLuver my first reviewer on fanfiction.net
Evil RULZ I hope you enjoy chapter 3
 
&
 
On Mediaminer:
Loretta 537
Koenma didn't make an appearance in the version I posted for the contest, but he could show up in the expanded version. I haven't decided yet.
 
Yue No Rei
I hope you like the direction chapter 3 takes
 
Milenalupin
Thank you. I am trying to keep them in character as much as possible. I just got a good giggle out the idea that if Genkai knew Grandpa, she sure wouldn't think his granddaughter would be of any use at all.
 
KawaiiKekeChan
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.
 
PrincessRock 323
Thanks. I hope you liked chapter 2 and like chapter 3
 
Vampire_Bride
Yay. My first review.
 
 
If anyone knows how to get the formatting lines to actually indent into proper paragraphs, PLEASE let me know. Its driving me nuts but I can't get it to do it online.
 
 
If you liked this, please check out my other three fics. Two of them are Hiei/Kagome and the third is a general Inuyasha one shot showing what happens when Kagome's class finds out what she's been up to.