Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ You Lose, Miko! ❯ Kagome Attacks ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
Disclaimer: I have absolutely no ownership interest in Inuyasha or any of the characters in this fanfic. Inuyasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi and Yu Yu Hakusho is owned by Togashi and to whichever companies they have sold or licensed the rights. I make no money from this fanfic and appreciate Ms. Takahashi's and Mr. Togashi's willingness to overlook my playing in their universes.
 
 
Hmm. Time marches on; so much for my plan to post a chapter every week. Sorry about that.
 
To Everyone on FanFic: I figured out my profile was barring reviews from people who weren't logged in. It has been fixed so now anyone can post a review. Hooray.
 
This chapter has been revised to correct a [there/their] conflict and also to improve some awkward paragraph and sentence structure towards the end of it.
 
 
----------------------
 
 
*Kurama. The miko…*
 
{What is it, Hiei? Is Kagome injured?}
 
*No. She is powerful.*
 
{We already knew that.}
 
*No, fox. She is powerful. She just purified an upper B class youkai without effort.* Hiei opened his immediate memories to the fox and let him experience them. Kurama and Youko were both silent. Finally, Youko spoke.
 
[I have never heard of a miko in any century who could do such a thing without a bow. She is truly amazing.]
 
{I agree. You should be sure and tell Genkai about it on Saturday.}
 
*Hn* Hiei said before shutting down the link.
 
---------- -----------
 
 
 
The following weekend, Genkai, Kurama and Yukina heard about the purification in more detail and they all were equally surprised. It usually took a great deal of training for a miko to be able to attack without a bow and arrow, and Genkai had never heard of one who could literally purify an upper B class like that: stop him, injure him, burn him? Yes. Flat out purify him into nothingness in a couple of seconds? No. She was more and more intrigued with Higurashi's granddaughter.
 
Kagome was trying to explain herself. “He was going to kill Souta. I had to do something. This isn't the first time I've been able to attack without using a bow and arrow.”
 
Hiei stared at her. “You said you could not do it.”
 
“Well, not usually, but there were certain times. For instance, the very first time Mistress Centipede dragged me down the well, I instinctively used my miko powers to get away from her. Then there was the time early on in the fight against Naraku I almost purified him.” Kagome shrugged her shoulders.
 
Kurama raised his eyebrows. “From all you have told us about the hanyou, he sounds like he was definitely an S class or upper S class demon. Yet you almost purified him into nothingness?”
 
“Yes. I think I would have done it if I hadn't been scared about killing a being. I killed Jura of the hair by stabbing the red skull with an arrow which channeled some of my miko powers. I really wasn't thinking at the moment except I wanted to survive. With Naraku I was facing a living being and had to shoot him directly with the arrow. As I said before, it was early on, and somewhere in the back of my mind I couldn't really kill a sentient being.” Then she looked sadly down. “Unfortunately, I had to get over that if I wanted to live.”
 
Kurama smiled gently at her. “You have no idea how beautiful and rare a creature you are. To have the power to purify an S class demon… it is unheard of in the Makai.”
 
Hiei frowned. “It is not `unheard of in the Makai.' Someone already heard of the miko and where she lives.”
 
“I agree,” Kurama said. “It is definitely a concern.”
 
“Miko,” Hiei started.
 
“Youkai,” Kagome flared. “How many times do I have to tell you my name is Kagome? Ka Go Me.”
 
“Onna, your barrier fell quickly the first day. I would have killed you had the old woman not prevented it. You were bluffing when you threatened to purify me but your body would have instinctively reacted to save your life. Even if you couldn't kill me, you could have purified and injured me.”
 
Kagome looked sheepish. “It's possible. I'm sorry.”
 
“NEVER apologize for strength, onna,” Hiei said fiercely. He stared at her for a moment before disappearing into the trees.
 
---- ---
 
 
Kagome didn't see Hiei for the rest of the weekend, but he attacked her bright and early Monday morning on her way to school. He gave her a good scrape before disappearing. Kagome was ready for him when she was coming home from school. When he attacked her she didn't raise her barrier. Instead she reached out and stabbed him with a pencil infused with miko energy. He jumped back in shock and some pain.
 
“Miko, you have no bow.”
 
“No, but I do have an arrow of sorts.” She held up the sharp wooden pencil. “The best part is it's a pencil. I can carry them everywhere with me and no regular human will question it. See?” She jumped towards him with the pencil flaring with energy. Hiei jumped back to avoid it and Kagome laughed. “I win youkai.”
 
“Hn.” Hiei glared at her as he remembered Kuwabara using something similar before he was able to generate a sword out of nothingness.
 
“Oh, come on Hiei, don't be grumpy. Walk with me on the way home. I want to get home quickly to make sure no youkai have attacked my family.” He eyed her as she smiled at him.
 
-----
 
A month later everyone was firmly in a pattern. Hiei and Kagome would attack each other to and from Kagome's school, and sometimes when she was outside at lunch or at gym. Kagome discovered she enjoyed wandering away from her friends at lunch and during physical education to entice Hiei to attack her. In PE she became skilled in hiding the pencil even in those tiny gym shorts so Hiei would think she was limited to defense and couldn't attack him. Sometimes he would attack and sometimes he wouldn't. When he didn't attack Kagome assumed he had gone off to do whatever it was he did with his time before Genkai suggested the game of “attack the miko.”
 
He would always attack her on the way home, and then walk with her the rest of the way to the shrine. Neither one of them noticed Hiei's attacks started to come almost the moment she left her friends, and that the two of them spent more time walking home and less time waiting to attack or be attacked. Kagome found herself making excuses for leaving her friends at the edge of the school and not joining them at WacDonalds for a soda. He was always angry if something kept her at school.
 
“Onna, you are late.”
 
“What, I'm late for my opportunity to be attacked? Gee, that's just terrible.” Kagome huffed at him. “How I dare I get a detention and have to stay over so I couldn't show up on time for the chance to be attacked by a grumpy fire youkai? What was I thinking?”
 
Hiei gave her a dirty look and kept walking towards the shrine. She told him about getting caught daydreaming by a very strict teacher and having to stay after school for an hour. When they were almost to the shrine steps Hiei turned to her and threw a ball of energy at her without warning. Kagome went down.
 
“You lose, miko,” He smirked. Kagome stayed on the ground and glared at him.
 
“Thank you SO much for putting the perfect ending to a perfect day. I suggest you don't try that again today or I really will purify you. I'm in the mood to kill something.” She got to her feet and stomped up the stairs. Hiei watched her go but didn't try to follow her. He had a strange, thoughtful look on his face. He realized he was disappointed she hadn't tried to attack him back and was disappointed she clearly wanted nothing more to do with him that day.
 
“Hn. I have more important things to do anyway,” he said to himself before taking off.
 
--- ------
 
Hiei realized Kagome didn't hold grudges when she was her usual cheerful self the next morning. She tried to get him with her pencil arrow but he was ready for it and jumped back before she could reach him.
 
“Darn it, I missed. Good morning, Hiei.” Kagome smiled at him. “Come closer and let me try again.”
 
Hiei wisely stayed out of her reach. Later that day after he attacked her in afternoon, he started to walk home with her as he had done in the past. She stayed several feet away from him and her aura was active and probing. She didn't say much. He moved closer to her. Kagome jumped a little and moved several feet away from him. He eyed her.
 
“Fool me once, Hiei, and so forth. I'm not going to get within hitting range again.” She smiled but was clearly keeping her guard up.
 
Hiei realized he didn't like the silence. He wanted to hear the stories of what she had done in the feudal era. He didn't like this fear and caution. He didn't sense active fear, but she was so busy guarding herself and waiting for him to attack she wasn't talking to him.
 
“Miko, I will not attack you again when you are talking to me. It was. . . less than honorable.” He looked at her and then looked away.
 
Kagome was amazed. Somehow Hiei didn't seem like the type to apologize for anything. “Thank you, Hiei. I appreciate it.”
 
They continued towards the shrine and Kagome found herself telling him some of her adventures in more detail.
 
“She was really sweet. She had lavender eyes and snow white hair. Her grandfather didn't care anything about her. He hated and resented her. Of course, what would you expect from a being who was capable of killing his own son simply because he mated with someone of whom he didn't approve. He just wanted her because she could make barriers are well as her father could,” Kagome said. “I don't know how old she was, but she didn't seem very old to me. She was perhaps 7 or 8 at the most. Those horrible humans offered Shiori up to her grandfather as though she was some sort of sacrifice. It was really awful to hear about it. I felt so sorry for her. Bat youkai are strong, but their bones are thin so they can fly. Shiori always seemed so delicate to me, even more so than a full human's bones.”
 
“You said the hanyou had to kill her,” Hiei pointed out.
 
“No, I said Myouga told him he had to kill the maker of the barriers.”
 
“This bat hanyou was the maker of the barrier,” Hiei pointed out.
 
“Yes, but of course Inuyasha didn't kill her. She was just a child and a hanyou as well. Inuyasha would never have hurt a hanyou child. He protected her with everything he had when the bat clan came to attack the human village. Hiei?” Kagome continued softly. “Would you really kill an innocent child to become stronger?” There was a moments silence while they eyed each other. Hiei scowled and looked away.
 
“Hn.”
 
“I'll take that as a no.” Kagome could tell from his attitude and body language he would not have hurt the bat hanyou, but he clearly didn't want to admit it.
 
“Inuyasha couldn't kill her either. He did get the barrier for Tessaiga. All he needed to do was to slice the weird globe she was holding. That was the equivalent of the maker of the barrier. Oh, and then there was the time we met Jinenji. He was another hanyou Inuyasha helped to protect. The ningen near his home decided he was responsible for killing them when he'd been there for years and never done a thing to them. I had to stop this mob from hurting Jinenji.”
 
“You stood in front of a mob of ningen who wanted to kill some hanyou?”
 
“Of course, I couldn't let them hurt Jinenji. He was so gentle and kind.”
 
“Onna, do you have any instinct for self preservation?” Hiei demanded?
 
“Ha. Of course I do. I just talked to them and got them to see reason,” Kagome said. Hiei snorted at the idea of any mob being capable of seeing reason. “It was really just a matter of waiting until Inuyasha got there. Inuyasha killed some snake like youkai who was breeding who was really behind the deaths.” She shuddered.
 
“You talk about that male too much. You talk about males too much: Inuyasha, Kouga, Miroku, some boar youkai, and some Ningen named Houjo. Were there no females other than the Taijiya and the old miko back then? Who is this Jinenji you mention?” Hiei demanded.
 
“Oh Jinenji is a lovely person. He is sweet and gentle. He grows herbs and plants.” Then Kagome stopped and laughed a little. I guess it is more accurate to say he grew herbs and plants. It was all 500 years ago.” She looked a little sad.
 
“Was he yet another male who tried to take you?” Hiei wanted to know. Hiei and Kagome were sitting on the bench in front of the Goshinboku.
 
“Oh no, Jinenji was a horse youkai hanyou. He was gentle and kind, but the human and horse youkai didn't mix very well, and poor Jinenji looked very different from both humans and youkai. The humans chased him and tried to hurt him all the time. I'm sure he wouldn't have survived to adulthood if his mother hadn't been strong and able to protect him. She didn't seem strong physically, but she sure could out talk most anyone who came to threaten them.” Kagome laughed reminiscently. “When I first met her I thought she was the youkai parent. I thought she was some kind of old youkai witch.”
 
“Kagome, would you and Hiei like some ice tea. It's very warm out here.” Hiei and Kagome turned around to find Mama nearby. She carried two glasses of ice tea on a tray. Hiei leapt to his feet. He stared at Mama and then at Kagome. He vanished without saying a word. Kagome watched him go, sighed and looked at Mama.
 
“Mama, did you do that on purpose?” She wanted to know.
 
Mama sighed and sat down next to her daughter on the bench. She handed Kagome a glass of ice tea and took the other one herself. “No, sweetheart; I'm sorry. I saw the two of you from the kitchen window. You were sitting on the bench and didn't seem to be attacking each other. It is such a hot day and I thought some cool tea might be nice. I didn't mean to scare him off. I'm sorry, dear.”
 
Kagome just nodded and took a sip of her tea. Then she laughed softly. “Hiei wouldn't appreciate someone thinking he was scared off by anyone, much less a ningen. He's so gruff but it's really because he's had such a hard life. He was probably embarrassed he was caught talking amicably with `the miko.'”
 
Mama looked at her sharply. “Kagome, don't forget this youkai is not Inuyasha. I don't want to see you get hurt,” Mama said. Both Kagome and Mama knew she was not talking about a physical injury. The last thing Mama wanted was for Kagome to finally open up to another boy only to choose one who could never care for her.
 
“I know, Mama.” Kagome said softly.
 
----
 
Kagome continued to spend every Saturday and Sunday with Genkai. Her barriers were clear now, and she was getting very good with her “pencil attacks.” She started carrying a special case which held about 5 sharpened pencils in it. Since Kagome had targets at the shrine, Genkai expected her to practice her bow during the school week. Genkai tested her bow and arrow skills on the weekends to make sure they were still good. She also made Kagome practice `throwing' her holy energy to develop her long distance attacks. Kagome needed to be able to do it at will, and not `at panic point.' Genkai pointed out the pencils were a good weapon of last resort acceptable throughout the Ningenkai, but by the time the youkai was that close, he or she could attack her with a sword or their claws. Everyone agreed the reach of a sword was further than a pencil.
 
“It is the pen which is mightier than the sword,” Genkai pointed out, “not the pencil.”
 
---- ----
 
Early on a Tuesday evening about two weeks later Kagome came out to the Goshinboku. She was carrying a plate and stopped at the base of the tree to look up at Hiei. Often times she wondered why a tree which was such a spiritual tree was also so attractive to youkai. They did seem to enjoy sitting in it, she thought.
 
“Hiei, would you come down here? I have something for you.”
 
“Is it wooden and filled with graphite?”
 
“No Hiei. It's something nice; at least I think it is nice. It's carrot cake.”
 
Hiei stared down at her. He could smell it was food. He decided to jump down. He maintained caution just in case she was using the food as an excuse to get him closer so she could try out some new attack.
 
“Carrot cake?” Hiei asked. Kagome nodded in agreement.
 
“Miko, cake is sweet.”
 
“Yes it is sweet, youkai.”
 
“Carrot is a vegetable.” Hiei continued. Kagome nodded again.
 
“I know it sounds strange but I really like it and Mama makes it every year for my birthday.”
 
Hiei looked dubious. Then he frowned. “Today is your birthday?”
 
“That's right. I'm 18 years old. I'm not considered an adult in Japan but am in most parts of the world. Mama and I are already thinking about the traditional celebration for my 20th birthday even though it's still two years away. We had a special dinner tonight. Mama always makes carrot cake for my birthday.”
 
Hiei eyed the square on the plate skeptically. It was a dark brown multicolor square with orange highlights and an ivory topping. It didn't smell bad but it did look a little odd to him. Kagome handed him the plate and the fork.
 
“You should give it a try. Mama's been making this for me since I was 8 years old. When I was about 5, an American couple moved in next door for several years. I used to play with their children and their mother made them carrot cake. It's really good. Carrots are sweet so it isn't as weird as it sounds. When I turned 6 I apparently demanded carrot cake for my birthday. Mrs. Johnstone made it for me and then made it for my 7th birthday as well. Shortly before my 8th birthday the Johnstones moved back to the United States, but before they went Mrs. Johnstone gave Mama the recipe and left the cake flour she used to make it. Mama has been making it for ever since. It is a Higurashi tradition. At first Mama had trouble figuring out the right kind of flour to use and getting the spices and cream cheese needed for the icing, but now it's all readily available on the internet. So go on, Hiei; give it a try.”
 
Hiei looked again at the plate and then at the fork. Kagome noticed this and waved her arms in apology. “I'm so sorry, Hiei. It's a fork. You use it to eat the cake.”

“A fork?” He eyed it and then stared at her with narrowed eyes.
 
“Yes, a fork. It's a western eating utensil. It is easier to eat cake with one than trying to use chopsticks. You hold it like this and cut off a bite of cake. It's easy.” Kagome took the fork from Hiei and demonstrated how she held it to cut the cake. Then she gave it back to him and nodded encouragingly. Hiei looked at the tool again.
 
“A fork; I see.” Hiei growled and his eyes flashed at her. “I thought perhaps it was an ugly comb for an onna's hair.” Hiei used the fork to bite off a piece of cake and ate it. He eyed Kagome through narrow red eyes. It didn't take much for Kagome to see the sarcasm in his comment dripping off the words and pooling in a small puddle on the ground.
 
“Ah, sorry,” Kagome mumbled. “I guess you already know what a fork is for, don't you?”
 
“Of course,” Hiei said scornfully. He took another bite of cake. “Or perhaps you think all I eat is my prey's heart, ripped out of its chest and chewed bloody and beating.” His tone was scathing. Suddenly he smirked. “Of course, I have eaten that more than a time or two.”
 
“Ah, no,” Kagome said in a very small voice. She stared at her feet and muttered something involving the word `chopsticks.'
 
“Do you think Japan is the only ningen country youkai know?”
 
“Uh, yes?” Kagome replied, even though she could now tell it wasn't the right answer.
 
“Clearly you have never met Jin or Chuu. You ignorant miko, the Makai is an entire world. There are layers of dimensions the Reikai can't even approach. The border in Japan may be a major one, but it is hardly the only point of contact. What is known in the Ningenkai is known in the Makai. I have used a fork and a spoon. I have used a knife at table for something other than skewering my enemies.” He continued eating the cake.
 
“I'm sorry, really, really sorry.” Kagome felt like an idiotic for thinking he wouldn't recognize a fork. Her face was bright red and wondered if she would ever stop being embarrassed over this situation.
 
“Onna, your mother fixes this cake to mark each year. Despite your time in the sengoku jidai and complete lack of self preservation, you somehow managed to survive for 18 years.” Hiei said. Kagome frowned at his way of putting it but wisely chose to say nothing. She just nodded.
 
Hiei had finished the cake and set the plate and fork down on the ground. He moved in very close to her and stared silently until she looked up at him. He reached out with a hand and grabbed her by the chin. Kagome fidgeted but he didn't seem threatening. She tried to take a step back but moved his other hand to the nape of her neck to hold her in place. She felt odd and uncomfortable but couldn't figure out why. It suddenly seemed warm in the early evening. Hiei was very close.
 
“You are merely 18 years old, onna. Youkai do not age as ningen do. I am many times older than you; many, many times older. Do not forget it. I have done and experienced far more things in my lifetime than you can imagine.” He made a low growl of disgust. “A fork is the least of them.” He eyed her for a moment before disappearing into the night.
 
Kagome paused and stared in the direction Hiei had gone before she picked up the plate and fork and walked slowly into the house.
 
------------- ------------------------ ----------------------------
 
Next time: Kagome enjoys some eye candy when Hiei and Kurama spar at Genkai's temple.
 
Thank you SO MUCH to all of my reviewers. I really appreciate it and should be able to respond to everyone in a few days.
 
My3rdEyes: I'll try. I'm actually worried about that. It's like, “oh, people are enjoying it. Now I have to make sure it's definitely good.” LOL
 
Yue No Rei: Don't worry. Con crit is always good. This revision is courtesy of Lovelywitch who pointed out quite accurately on Fanfiction.net the awkwardness of a particular paragraph. Now on Hiei's comments about her training, I'm not sure he would understand the difference between the right training for Yusuke and the right training for Kagome. I think he really does think she's getting a soft ride.
 
Hawaiianhoney2030: I really appreciate your enthusiasm, especially twice. It's very encouraging to me.
 
Madmiko: WHAT can I say? It is very generous of you to take the time to write those long detailed reviews. They are SO great to read. It's really nice to hear what parts work or make sense. Some of them are ideas I've had for either Inuyasha or YYH since I first starting seeing the animes. It hadn't occurred to me there was a theme to the chapter, but you are right.  Every scene seems to have something to do with a person's true strength and that strength isn't necessarily measured only in physical terms.  Thank you for that insight. Hiei did make a claim on them, didn't he?  I was thinking about it in more of a possessory concept.  "You don't touch my toys!"  But he really did make a claim.  "These people are under my protection.  You won't touch them."  It's a more humanistic viewpoint.
 
 
Ice Vixen X: The reason for the attack and who told him about it will come out before the end of the fic. I just have to figure out when and how. <g>