Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Eleven ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Eleven

Sesshomaru relaxed in the warm water, his eyes closed. It felt good to sit in the hot water that had been provided for bathing. He stretched out, lounging when he heard someone approach. Cracking an eye open, he saw his brother swagger towards him and he rolled his eyes. He really didn't want to share this nice tub with his half-brother, though, he was curious as to why the half-breed seemed so confident. Sesshomaru eased back into a sitting position, waiting for Inuyasha to climb in with him inside the over sized tub.

Inuyasha shucked his clothes onto the ground not far from the tub, climbing in. Sesshomaru heard his brother wince as the warm water hit his shoulder then a sigh of contentment as Inuyasha grew comfortable. Sesshomaru asked, “Half-breed, did you have to bathe at this particular moment?”

“Blame Kagome. She said I smell bad so here I am.” He smiled slightly as he dunked his head under the water, shaking slightly to get some of the excess off his ears. “Why, you shy or something?”

“No. I just prefer to bathe alone.” Sesshomaru glared at him slightly. “What has you in such a good mood? Earlier you weren't doing well.”

“None of your business, jackass. How about this, you keep to your half of the tub and I'll stay in mine and we won't talk about anything at all.” Inuyasha attempted to cross his arms, letting his right arm slide into the water instead as he remembered his left arm still hadn't healed yet. He gently rested his left arm onto the side of the tub as best as possible. His brow knit together to complete a scowl.

“You talked to the miko, didn't you.” Now things became interesting. Perhaps he'd be able to get his brother to stop being such a nuisance. Since the miko knew of Inuyasha's plight maybe they'd actually solve the matter and he could quit having to see his brother act like a fool.

“And so what if I did? Keep your high and mighty nose out of my life,” Inuyasha growled. “It's none of your business.”

“That is true, however, I am curious as to know if you shall quit acting so foolish.” Sesshomaru lounged further into the tub.

Inuyasha's lips upturned in a slight smirk. “You and that monk seem to want details that aren't any of your business. I had no idea you were such a hentai.”

Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow. “What monk? And I never asked for those details. I only asked if you were going to behave differently now. Nothing more and nothing less.”

“Oh, just a Buddhist monk we travel with. Never mind. It's still none of your business what did or did not happen.” Inuyasha puffed out his chest, trying to cross his arms, only to fail again.

Sesshomaru sighed. He dunked his head under the water, running his hand through his long silver hair to rid it of excess water. He rolled his eyes as he saw that his brother's expression had not changed. “Little brother, you do not have to be so defensive. I do not care as long as you no longer act like such a baka around me.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes in return, mocking him. He kicked his foot out of the water, splashing him. “Just back off and leave me alone.”

Sesshomaru glared at him as the water splashed. “Do not act like a pup.”

“While we're on the subject of Kagome, what the fuck was up with you protecting her that other night? I've been meaning to ask you that but then she went on that weird tirade about hearts attacking people.” Inuyasha sunk lower into the water, letting the lukewarm water cover everything but his shoulder.

“I merely thought it was foolish of her to wander off alone. Since no one else was around, I thought it might be best to keep an eye on her. No sense in allowing something to happen for no reason.” Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow. “One might, however, ask you the same question as to why you have gone out of your way to protect Rin as you have in the past.”

Inuyasha sputtered, blowing water out of his mouth as he sat upright. “Hey, no fair. And what was I supposed to do, let Kagura cut her up? I'm not an animal, you know.”

Sesshomaru nodded. “I never said you were. It just strikes me as odd that you go out of your way to not only protect her when Kagura is attacking her, but you did so when you first arrived and found that she was sick. Why is that?”

Inuyasha scratched an ear. “She's a pup. What else should I do? Let her suffer cause you and I don't get along? You still didn't answer my question. Why do you care so much what happens to Kagome?”

“Perhaps I feel the same way about the little miko as you do about Rin. She's also outside of our squabble.” He applied some soap to his chest. “I do also hope to end our petty fighting. It serves us no purpose, not since you pointed out earlier that we have a common enemy after all.”

Inuyasha huffed. “So we beat Naraku and then it's back to normal?” Inuyasha's ears drooped from the water dripping from them.

“I never said anything of the sort.” Sesshomaru lathered the soap briefly before rinsing it. “It is you who assumes that we shall revert to such behavior. I, for my part, intend to not waste time on such petty enterprises. It merely gets in my way.”

“Feh. Whatever.” Inuyasha leaned forward, grabbing the soap bar from him. It slipped out of his hand, shooting into the water. “Damn it. Just what I needed.” He dipped his hand into the water, winning his fight with the soap.



Kagome eased into her pajamas and left the tent in search of Polgara. Her cheeks still flamed from what Inuyasha had told her, but a wide smile accompanied it. When she arrived at Polgara's tent, she found the woman sitting, a gray cloak in hand and needle flashing in and out of the fabric. She asked, “Lady Polgara, mind if I join you?”

“Certainly. You can join me if you like, dear.” The sorceress smiled slightly at her. “How is Inuyasha?”

“He's taking a bath right now. I told him he smelled.”

“Oh dear. Sesshomaru asked me to set up a bath for him just a while ago. I hope they won't argue over it.” Polgara bit her thread, setting the cloak aside. “I suspect, though, you didn't come here to talk about that.”

Kagome blushed. “No, I didn't. Remember I told you about a problem that I was having with Inuyasha?”

“Yes, dear. Did it get resolved?”

“Sort of. I guess so. I found out what was bothering him, at least.” She blushed even further. “It seems he's had some feelings lately that he can't shake.”

Polgara's lips upturned in a coy smile. “I see.”

“Well, he let something slip tonight when we returned to the tent, said something I don't think he meant to say out loud.” She looked down at her hands. “At least it explains why he's been glued to me for periods of time and then avoided me in others.”

“Dear, what did I tell you? If you ignored him most of the day he'd end up telling you what bothered him. I suspect he was just afraid of rejection. I could tell that he was nervous around you about that. Don't worry about it. Now that he's got the first admission out of the way the rest should fall into place.” She picked up a pot, placing it over the fire. “Tea?”

Kagome nodded. “Maybe. Inuyasha sometimes admits things and then pretends it never happened and if you try to get him to admit it, he just says his usual “feh” and goes on his way. I'm surprised he even admitted what he did tonight.” She sighed. “Besides, I'm a third wheel.”

“What makes you say that?” She poured two cups of tea, dripping honey in each. “Here, dear.”

“In a word, Kikyo.” She looked away, blushing. “I shouldn't have said anything. Ignore that. It's his private business.”

“Dear, he already mentioned her to me.” She sipped from her cup before setting it down onto the tray. “What did he exactly say?”

Kagome bit her lip, running her fingers on the sides of her cup. She whispered, “Mate. He called me mate.” She looked down. “I just don't want to find out later on that he didn't mean it, that he was thinking of her.”

“Dear, is this Kikyo not already dead? And is she now nothing more than a demon herself? I attempted to convince Inuyasha that he owed far more to you than he does to the dead. You see, I've seen how the two of you look at one another. He's more confused about who he owes his duty to, not who he owes his love to.” She had a slight smile as she sipped again from her cup. “He's very honorable in some respects, once you get past the bad habits of shouting and swearing. I think he's afraid of breaking his word and he said he had given Kikyo his word. But not his heart. Not for a long time now. She hasn't had that in her possession. Not the way he stares at you and the way his eyes light up when you come near."

“I---I just don't want to find out that he's going to keep his word to her.” She blinked back tears. “He runs off to meet her every time she's near. I can't give into what he wants if he's going to do that each time.” She set her cup back onto the tray before she could drop it.

She smiled slightly. “Really, you two are making the most natural thing the most difficult. For all his bravado, he is a very shy man, you know that?”

Kagome giggled softly, wiping her nose. “Yes. He can be sometimes, can't he?”

“You really have nothing to worry about, dear. He'll come around in his own way and at his own pace. You can't rush him and don't corner him. Let him bring anything dealing with it up. If you start to bring it up too much he'll start pulling away and you'll be back to square one.”

“I hope you're right.” She blushed again, thinking back to the way he had whispered the word “mate” into her ear only about ten minutes earlier. Even though he hadn't meant to say it, Kagome suspected he had wanted to for sometime, since they had arrived in this strange place at least. She sipped her tea, smiling, “I do hope that the bath isn't going to be too violent.”



The next morning, Inuyasha woke, scratching at his cast furiously. He growled, “Get this ridiculous thing off of me! I don't need it anymore. My arm is just fine.” He moved his arm in the cast, flexing his claws briefly for emphasis. “I look stupid.”

Kagome sighed, sitting up from her spot in the tent. She leaned over, looking at his arm. “Alright. Alright. Let me get something to cut it.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Not necessary. I'll do it myself. If it only needs to be cut off I'll cut it off by myself.” He flexed his claws on his right hand, hooking it under the cast and slicing it off. “There. Finally. That thing was driving me nuts. I itched all fucking night long.”

Kagome smiled slightly before stretching. She pulled from her bag some clear plastic water bottles. “Inuyasha, since you feel much better, would you mind going out to the river and filling these up? We'll need water to drink and why not get some while we're here?” She handed him six plastic bottles.

Inuyasha stuck his nose in the air. “Feh.” He snatched them up, exiting the tent towards the river. Confusion marred his expression as he saw Polgara's mate sitting at the river bank, a pole in his hand held out over the water. “What are you doing?”

The man turned, “Oh, good morning. I'm fishing. Pol said she was tired of making porridge for breakfast and asked me to get some fish.”

“You'll never catch anything holding that stick thing over the water.” Inuyasha uncorked the six bottles, setting them down onto the bank, one into the water to fill it.

“I don't see why not,” Durnik said, turning his attention back towards the river.

Once Inuyasha finished filling the bottles, he left them sitting on the bank. “I still say you're going to be there for a long time. If you really want some fish, you should get in the river and catch 'em.” He jumped into the center of the rushing water, his eyes reading the sunlight waves of water for dark bodies underneath. When he saw one, he slammed a hand into the water, pulling the struggling fish out. “There. See? It works much better than that stick with a string.”

Durnik looked at him curiously, his plain features regarding him with a type of awe. “How did you do that?”

“Simple. You watch for them under the water and then you grab them.” He saw another fish and he plunged his hand beneath again, pulling the flailing body out of the water. The fish's mouth moved as it breathed in air rather than water and its tail whipped wildly. Inuyasha jumped out of the water, landing by the man. He dropped his fish onto the ground. “How many did she want?”

Durnik didn't answer right away as he tugged on his string, “I got one! He bit!” He started reeling the string in, the fish tugging furiously on the end of the string as it was drawn from the water. He smiled sheepishly. “I guess we both can catch some fish.” He looked over at the two Inuyasha had caught and the third he had. “Pol said with our large group that we should catch about six to ten fish so we can have a good breakfast and maybe some lunch.”

Inuyasha nodded, jumping back into the water. “Sounds good. You catch your fish your way and I'll catch mine my way. Sound fair?” He rolled the sleeves up on his fire rat robe and set to watching the water intently for moving bodies again. Again, he plunged a clawed hand under the rushing surface of the water, pulling up a large silver fish that glared at him as it flailed around wildly.

Durnik smiled. “You know, I haven't fished with anyone in a long time. I must say, I've never fished with anyone who's gotten into the river itself.” He placed new bait on his string, casting it into the river.

Inuyasha's eyes scanned over the water looking for another unsuspecting fish to swim by. He thrust his hand into the water again, pulling another fish up, this one larger than the last and angrier. Then he leapt high into the air, landing gracefully on the shore, depositing his fish onto the ground.

“I see your arm is feeling much better this morning, Inuyasha,” Polgara called from the fire.

Inuyasha shook himself, removing any excess water from his clothes and hair. He nodded. “Yeah. That damn thing you put on it made my arm itch all night, though. We caught some fish for breakfast.” He gathered up the bottles he had filled for Kagome.

“That's nice dear, but you forgot one important part.”

“What?”

“You have to clean them.”

Inuyasha snorted. He set the bottles back down, picking a fish up, holding the flapping body down. Then Inuyasha ran a claw along the belly, gutting the fish efficiently. He did this to each of the fish he personally caught. “There. Now, can I get these bottles to Kagome?” He rinsed his hand in the river before gathering the bottles back up.

“Yes dear.” She smiled at Durnik. “Same goes for you. You know how I feel about fishing. You catch them, you clean them.”

Inuyasha shook his head as he took the bottles back to the tent, entering. “Here.”

Kagome looked up. “Thanks, Inuyasha. I'll repack all but two of them, unless you think I should give one to your brother for Rin. It might make things easier if she has her own water bottle.”

Inuyasha's brow furrowed for a moment as he contemplated what that might mean. It was a convenient way for them to transport water, that was certain, but how many questions would it create for his brother about where they came from and how they connected to Kagome's name in the Prophecy. He crossed his arms. “I don't know, Kagome. That might lead to questions we don't want to be asked.”

“I don't think Sesshomaru will care, Inuyasha. It'll be just something for Rin to use so he doesn't have to worry about her getting water.” She packed all the water bottles but three, setting them aside. “I'm going to give this one to Rin. I'd hate for her to get thirsty as we travel and have nothing to drink.” She exited the tent, heading towards Sesshomaru's.

Inuyasha huffed. “Stupid wench, is she trying to let everyone know her secret?” He followed her, stomping along. If she was going to be near Sesshomaru he should be there just in case. He still didn't entirely trust his brother and he felt nervous about Kagome's secret being revealed.

The patter of feet greeted him as he approached the tent and a pair of small arms were thrown around his waist as Rin gripped him tightly. “Inuyasha-sama! You're alright!”

Inuyasha ruffled her hair. “Of course, pup.” He looked over at Kagome who stood by the tent flap. She had a bright smile on her face and she still held Rin's bottle of water. He smiled back slightly before turning back to Rin. He bent down, letting her climb onto his back as they walked to the tent she shared with Sesshomaru.

Sesshomaru came out of the tent, his cool golden gaze sweeping over the group. He nodded briefly towards Inuyasha before looking at Kagome. One eyebrow arched at the clear water bottle clutched in her hands before he turned. “Rin.”

Rin slid down from Inuyasha's back, running to Sesshomaru. “Sesshomaru-sama, look what Kagome-sama brought!” The child pointed towards Kagome's water bottle, smiling wide.

Sesshomaru's eyes cast towards the bottle although his expression did not change. He then looked towards Inuyasha. Inuyasha crossed his arms remarking. “It was her idea. Something for the pup to use for water.”

Kagome nodded. “Rin-chan, would you like to see how you work it?” She knelt down, unscrewing the cap on the bottl. “See, you just twist this on and off and you can get to the water or keep it from spilling as you travel. That way you don't have to worry about being thirsty.” She smiled, handing the bottle to Rin.

Rin did as Kagome had shown her. She smiled wide. “Thank you, Kagome-sama. I like it very much.” She put the cap back on, clutching the plastic bottle to her chest. She looked over the three adults before ducking behind Sesshomaru's leg, peeking around his white hakama.

Kagome laughed softly. “You don't have to hide, Rin.”

Inuyasha snorted. “Oi, pup. No one's gonna hurt you.” He sniffed the air. “Smells like breakfast is getting close to being ready.” He turned his back to them, his ears listening. He tensed up as he felt a hand ease into his and he glanced over his shoulder slightly, seeing Kagome smiling up at him.

“Let's go. I'm hungry and it smells delicious.” She squeezed his hand a bit more, causing him to flush.

Inuyasha squeezed her hand back, walking towards the fire. Since last night's admission he felt a bit better around her, but still felt his mouth run dry being so near to her. He sat down, Kagome not far away. He sniffed the air again, licking his lips as he smelt the fish as it cooked. Before he could accept his fish, he felt himself tumble backwards and saw Rin's face above his. She squealed in delight. “I got you Inuyasha-sama!”

Inuyasha grunted. “Oi, pup. What was that for?” He sat up, easing her off his lap. He patted her on the bottom. “You better go sit down by my brother or you might not get any breakfast.” He winked at her.

Kagome hid a smile. “I think Rin was playing with you when she hid behind Sesshomaru.”

Sesshomaru had taken his seat not far away, a look of indifference covering his features. His eyes, however, revealed amusement, albeit if it flickered only briefly. Rin sat down close to him, awaiting her breakfast. She smiled wide before taking her fish and biting into it eagerly.

Durnik, usually taciturn, talked wildly about how Inuyasha had jumped into the river to catch many of the fish they were now having for breakfast. “It was the most amazing thing! He caught them with his bare hands and not once or twice, but three times! It was amazing. I've never seen anything like it.”

Polgara sighed. “Oh dear. You've made him into a monster all over again. Every time we'll get near any body of water he'll want to fish.” She served some fish to Belgarath and Beldin.

Beldin threw his fish onto the ground, stuffing bits of it into his mouth as he tore it apart. “Seems you weren't lying about the broken arm after all.”

Inuyasha wrinkled his nose briefly at how the dwarf ate, then he shoved fish meat into his own mouth, responding around the bite. “I told you it'd heal. Big deal.”

Kagome jabbed him in the ribs, eating her fish carefully. She whispered, “Don't be so rude to talk with your mouth full.”

Inuyasha was about to protest that the dwarf was eating his fish off the ground but refrained when he saw the glint in her eyes. He sighed, eating his fish in silence. It was best not to start an argument and get sat, even if his arm and shoulder had healed. He didn't want to look stupid in front of Sesshomaru if he could help it.

Belgarath washed his breakfast down with a tankard. “Well, we'll be at Thull Mardu by nightfall. I just hope that our ship will be waiting for us when we arrive.”