Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Twenty-Four ( Chapter 24 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Twenty-Four

Inuyasha followed the others, his thoughts on the events that had transpired the day and night before. The confrontation between the two ancient brothers had overwhelmed him. So much hate and power passed between the two feuding sorcerers as they battled for what had seemed to be to the death. The parallel was not lost on Inuyasha. He knew he and his brother had similar disputes in the past. Had they looked so enraged, so utterly filled with hate for one another when they had fought violently? It all seemed for nothing now.

Inuyasha glanced over, noticing that Sesshomaru rode on the other side of Kagome. Rin sat in front of her on the horse. His brother's eyes looked stoically forward and his expression betrayed nothing. Inuyasha remembered seeing Sesshomaru's unprotected back become a target, him slamming into his brother to push him out of danger's path, and the look on his brother's face when they had landed. He had looked furious and yet surprised. Everything had happened so quickly that only now that he was left alone with nothing but his thoughts could Inuyasha mull over what had occurred.

Sniffing the air, Inuyasha was grateful for the return of his senses. He had felt naked without them, unable to identify anything around him without sight. Inuyasha reflected upon the events of the night. His own brother had discovered his most intimate secret and here Inuyasha was to live and tell about it. Sesshomaru had seemed different. He hadn't looked at him with disdain or loathing. His gold eyes had been confused, as if he had attempted to understand on some level.

Inuyasha's eyes went wide when he realized what he had confessed to Sesshomaru. The words came flooding back, ones he had thought he hadn't said aloud. He had felt cornered in the tent, unable to do anything if his brother should have decided to exterminate him. Inuyasha had felt defeated, frightened, and on some level, filthy. After all, wasn't it what he had heard his whole life pertaining to his heritage? He let his ears droop, kicking himself for spilling this most inner pain to Sesshomaru. It had been a moment of weakness, one he would take back if he could. It was his burden to carry, not his brother's.

Inuyasha was confused. Why had his brother insisted on protecting him? What had driven Sesshomaru to keep even the Godslayer away? He had seemed mistrustful about the people they traveled with, and on some level fiercely protective. Inuyasha knew that his brother could very well take care of himself, but after the display in the grove of trees he wasn't sure who would win between the Godslayer or Sesshomaru. He also knew he never wanted to find out the answer. Sesshomaru's behavior and mood had baffled him none the less. His brother had become furious at him for letting the rest know of his human night, yet the sound in Sesshomaru's voice hadn't been of hate or shame but rather anxiety and concern. Inuyasha shook his head. He'd never figure his elder brother out.

The sound of horse hooves slowing next to him drew him out of his thoughts. The Godslayer rode alongside him, the great sword strapped across his back. He said, “Good afternoon.”

Inuyasha cast his eyes to his horse's mane before looking back towards the sandy-haired man. He said, “Whatever.”

“Everything alright?” The man's blue eyes caught his golden. “You seemed lost in thought for awhile there.”

Inuyasha flattened his ears tightly to his skull. What did it matter to him? He said, “Feh.” Maybe if he kept his answers short the Godslayer would leave him alone. He wasn't really in the mood to share any more feelings with anyone at the moment.

The serious, plain features of the Godslayer broke into a smile. “I see you took Aunt Pol's advice.” He tilted his head towards Kagome as she rode, in conversation with Sango and the little red-haired queen.

“Feh. It's none of your business.” Inuyasha was beginning to feel cross. Why was he being so nosy all of the sudden? They hadn't talked much since before boarding the ship.

“As a Sendar, I'll agree.” He shook his head. “You and your brother, you don't have much to say, do you?”

Inuyasha glared at him. “What do you want, anyways?”

“Just making conversation.” The Godslayer smiled again. “I should warn you, we're going to be approaching a large city. The biggest city I've ever been to, actually.”

Inuyasha groaned. Just what he didn't want to hear. A large city. That meant lots of people, lots of smells, and lots of loud noises. Three things he hated more than anything else. “Great. Why me?”

The Godslayer laughed. “I've been asking the same question since I was fourteen. I never found out, you know. No one answers that.” He sighed. “I also hate to say it, but we're going to be attending some formal functions while we're in the city. It can't be helped.”

“What type of formal functions?” Inuyasha twitched his ears in irritation. Weren't they trying to get rid of the demons? They didn't have time for this foolishness. It was a waste of time to spend any on any formality. Besides, Naraku was the top priority.

“Zakath said something about a banquet and ball. He doesn't want to do it any more than you do.” He winked. “I must say, I don't want to do it either. It can't be helped. Anytime a big king visits another big king everyone wants to see. It won't be too bad, really.”

Inuyasha growled low in his throat. Great. Just what they needed. “Just how many people will be at this banquet anyways?”

“Oh, he said somewhere around three hundred to four hundred.” He sighed. “I really don't want to attend, either. Everyone's going to try and talk with me about boring things just so they can say they did.”

Inuyasha sighed. What about him? His ears, his fangs, his claws? How would they hide that? Sesshomaru was much better off. His ears weren't as noticeable, especially under that mass of silver hair. His markings might draw attention but they weren't nearly as conspicuous as Inuyasha's ears. “Can't I just skip the whole thing?” Inuyasha really didn't want four hundred pairs of hands petting his ears or four hundred pairs of eyes glaring at him in disgust.

“Sorry. We all go.” He shook his head. “Don't worry. Everything will work out.”

“Easy enough for you to say. I can't exactly cut my ears off my head, you know,” Inuyasha grumbled.

“You won't have to. We'll find a way to make the whole crowd not notice your ears. They won't even see them. If you want, we can make you appear human to them.” The Godslayer's smile disappeared into his serious, plain faced expression.

“Thanks, but no thanks. I've been human enough for one month.” He flattened his ears again.

“Alright. We'll just make them not see your ears. Aunt Pol said with the Orb's help she could make them think they saw something but forget about it ten minutes later. They won't even know you have them.”

Inuyasha snorted. “I'll just wear my hood, thanks.” He pulled it up from around his shoulders, obscuring his view of the Godslayer.

“We'd let you do that, but it'd be quite the disaster if everyone panicked or gushed over your ears. Your brother needs some disguising as well, just so you know. That young boy does, too.” The sandy-haired man sighed. “It'll be alright.”

“Feh.”

“I've been meaning to ask, just what do you and your brother have against wolves?”

Inuyasha trained his eyes on the young man. What was this, interrogate Inuyasha time? “We just don't like wolves.”

He shook his head and his sandy hair fell into his face. “Anything in particular about them?”

“Nope. Pretty much everything.” Inuyasha thought about his insinuation in the fight he had with Kagome last night about Koga. He bristled again at his stupidity, wishing Kagome would have sat him even if he was human. Maybe it would have taught him to think twice about such comments.

“You do know that most wolves have no interest in eating man. It's beneath them.” The young king sighed.

“Maybe the wolves you know but the wolves I know have a lot of things they like about eating man.” Inuyasha knew if Koga had his way he'd be with Kagome and that was the only reason he had stopped the practice. Even though Inuyasha was Kagome's mate, he still felt slightly threatened by the wolf prince. “They're also deceptive.”

The young man's blue eyes went wide. “Wolves are incapable of lying. It's not in their nature.”

“Well, one wolf I know lies pretty damn well.” Inuyasha watched as the thief and the monk had entered into a conversation. What ever was to come of it he was sure it wouldn't be good. He sighed. Not able to remember the young man's name, he said, “Look, Godslayer, I'm not really in the mood to talk.”

The young man blushed. “You can call me Garion. Just Garion. I really don't mean to intrude on you or anything.” He sighed, his eyes rolling when he caught the same conversation that the monk and thief were having. “Oh no, what are those two doing now?”

Inuyasha nodded. “I had the same thought. All I know is if Miroku gets too much out of hand I'll have Sango take care of it. She'll kick his ass if he steps over too many lines.” He smiled, the first he had all morning.

“Oh? So they're---” he let it dangle, embarrassed to finish the sentence.

Inuyasha laughed. “No, but I think that monk wouldn't mind.”

“I see.” Garion's face turned a few more shades red.

Inuyasha arched an eyebrow. He laughed harder. “When you said it wasn't any of your business between me and Kagome you meant it. What's a Sendar, anyways?”

“Well, they're not like the other people really. We're a mix of this and that. Lots of Algarian, Arendish, Cherek, and Drasnian blood mixed together, really.” He shook his head. “I'm really considered Rivan, but I grew up in Sendaria so I call it home. I grew up on a small farm till this whole mess with prophecies got involved.”

“And you get embarrassed easy because of that?”

“Durnik's the perfect Sendar. Look at how shy he is about a lot of things. We're private and proper. I don't think Durnik would ever say anything about anyone doing well---you know.” Garion blushed again.

“I guess you won't, either.” Inuyasha laughed. He smiled wide, a fang at the corner of his mouth. Now that the young king wasn't asking him a million private questions he felt better than he had all day.

Garion cleared his throat. “I gathered last night that your brother doesn't like me all that much.”

Inuyasha's eyes went wide. “What gave you that idea?”

“He wasn't exactly friendly the way he all but threatened my life last night.” Garion had a slight smile on his face. “I don't know about you, but any man that can turn himself into a dog about as tall as the walls of Vo Mimbre is one I would rather not anger.”

Inuyasha sighed. “He was just trying to protect me. Stupid ass didn't have to but he did anyways. I really wouldn't take it personal.” He glanced towards his brother, noticing that Sesshomaru had taken Rin onto his own horse. “Besides, I don't know about you, but you people can do a lot of things, too. It's not everyday you see two men grow bigger than the trees and have a fist fight with lightning.”

“True. I suppose that's true.” Garion smiled. “If I had tried that Grandfather would have lectured me on how ostentatious I was being. I still shudder sometimes thinking of the tongue lashing he gave me for making a thunderstorm.”

“You made a thunderstorm?” Inuyasha stared at him. This man with his plain face and unassuming figure had slain a God and now admitted to the ability to make thunderstorms.

“Yeah. I was dealing with Arends and they're slow so I had to make a lasting impression. I called some lightning down for some emphasis. Boy did I pay for it later.”

Inuyasha shook his head. “Wait, if he's your grandfather, how old are you?”

“Thirty-three this Erastide.”

“Thirty-three? That's awfully young compared to his seven thousand, don't you think?”

“Oh, we're not direct grandfather to grandson. It's just easier than saying all those greats in front of it.” Garion smirked. “Besides, if I called him by that I'd never get my sentence out and I'd be worse than Mandorallen.” He sighed. “Well, I think we're here. Look.”

They crested a hill slightly after the sun had peaked and they came upon a valley. What lay inside the valley frightened and amazed Inuyasha all at once. A city stretched beyond his vision and miles upon miles of buildings expanded with no end. The streets appeared straight as arrows and the buildings blindingly white. What struck him the most was the immense smells of food, horses, humans and things he couldn't quite identify. He twitched an ear, catching the gasps of Miroku, Sango, Shippo and Kagome. Kagome whispered under her breath, “Wow, it's even bigger than Tokyo.”

As they descended upon the city, Inuyasha briefly made eye contact with his brother. Sesshomaru had Rin gripped tightly to his chest as they rode down towards the expansive gates. The Emperor stopped his horse. “Welcome to Mal Zeth. It's not much to look at it but we call it home.” He turned, leading them down to the bronze gates. As he grew closer, they swung open wide, permitting them to enter.

Once inside, Inuyasha glanced around the broad avenue. People in what appeared to be military outfits lined the streets attending to business. Even though they had the Emperor with them, none of the soldiers appeared to take any notice. Inuyasha pulled his hood more over his face, while keeping a close eye on Kagome. It had to be, by far, the biggest city he had ever entered. He held up his sleeve to his nose, trying not to inhale the scents filling the air. Animals, waste, humans, and food all filled the air and mingled into one.

Inuyasha noticed one slight oddity about the city. All the white mortar buildings lacked one feature. They were all windowless. He snorted. “What the hell? Where are all the windows?”

Garion said, “It's the military way. Boring, isn't it?”

Inuyasha nodded his answer in silence, drinking in the experience of the city before him. They entered a broad square filled with what appeared to be a market place. Red, green, yellow, and blue tents lined the walls of the square and men shouted out the names of the wares they had displayed. After they passed through the square into another section of the town, the houses grew larger and obviously more ornate.

Garion whispered, “Mal Zeth is all based on rank. We're in the sergeant's district now. As the rank gets higher the house gets bigger. It's all foolish if you ask me but that's the way they like it.”

Inuyasha flattened his ears under his hood. It sounded more like a city Sesshomaru would approve of if he had the tolerance for people in that amount that is. The buildings may have been larger in the district but they certainly weren't better built. The same white mortar on timber held the construction together. They continued until the city seemed one blur to Inuyasha. The same monotonous housing with the same monotonous market place seemed to repeat that he wondered if they hadn't somehow gone in a circle.

Eventually they reached an area with fountains and gardens. “Officers quarters,” came the whispered explanation from Garion. “It'll get as dull as the rest of it after awhile.”

The flower gardens and fountains were about the only beauty the city had to offer and Kagome's gasp reached Inuyasha's ears. If it wasn't for the heavy concentration of flowers Inuyasha wouldn't have minded them. Rin squealed in delight, clapping her hands from Sesshomaru's horse. Inuyasha smiled slightly, knowing as much as Kagome might like the flower bed, the little girl would be worse.

Another city seemed to rise up out of the middle of the one they were currently in. This one was marble and also had it's own gates. These gates appeared to be made of gold. Garion sighed. “The imperial palace of the Malloreon emperor.” His voice sounded disapproving of the ostentatious appearance of the complex.

The gate swung open and they entered. Upon entrance, two men dressed in red cloaks, chain mail and conical helmets smartly saluted the Emperor. Inuyasha nearly jumped out of his saddle when the blast of trumpets announced the return of Zakath to the imperial palace. They were loud and brazen and grated on his ears. Inuyasha flattened them to his skull underneath his hood.

Garion's laughter reached his ears. He said, “I know. Ridiculous, isn't it? I've never understood why they need to do that.”

Inuyasha snorted. “I wish they'd stop.” They finally ended the fanfare and Inuyasha sighed. Were they trying to make him deaf? He saw that Sesshomaru had drawn his lips into a tight line, the only expression of his displeasure.

When directed, Inuyasha dismounted from his horse and a man clad in red took the reins from him before he could protest. The others seemed to have similar experiences. He felt Kagome grip his hand. She whispered, “Well, we made it.”

A chubby, balding man, came out into the entrance gardens. He said, “Your Majesty, I see you were successful in convincing His Majesty King Belgarion for assistance. You'll want to attend to your office soon. I have several matters that you'll want to address immediately.”

“Brador, do you really have to hit me with a whole bunch of paper work?” The Emperor sighed.

“I'm sorry, Your Majesty, but a lot of orders need to be given from you directly.”

“Fine. Tell some servants to take my guests to one of the sitting rooms and provide them a nice lunch before showing them to their rooms.”

“Will do, Your Majesty.” The man bowed, entering into the palace.

Zakath sighed. “Why did I come home? I could have just pretended I wasn't emperor and avoided this.”

Garion laughed. “You know you can't. Go, take care of kingly duties and we'll wait. Besides, I think a lot of us are hungry.” Inuyasha felt his stomach growl at that comment. He was hungry and he very much wanted to be fed more than anything at the moment.



Kagome grasped Inuyasha's hand as they followed the portly man by the jumbled mass of marble buildings. The gardens they passed were filled with exotic flowers and statues. She looked around, feeling as if she were a tourist on a vacation. Suppressing a smile, she leaned her head onto Inuyasha's shoulder. The architecture seemed to blend from the heavily grandiose to the ultra utilitarian. Glancing towards Inuyasha, she noticed the scowl on his face and sighed. She should have known he'd find the entire experience of this city to be a bit over the top. She whispered, “Don't be so grouchy, Inuyasha.”

He snorted. “Feh.” His gold eyes cast about, looking at the fancy marble and ornate gardens. “It's a little overdone if you ask me.”

Kagome sighed. “I think it's lovely.”

When they reached the middle of the complex finally, Kagome gasped. A single palace stood in utter isolation, its height and massive size announcing that it was the seat of power. It was made of marble and the doors were gilded. Brador stopped the group. He said, “We're about to enter. His Majesty suggested that he would like for you to stay in the eastern wing. Lunch will be served in a sitting room shortly. As soon as you are ready, let me know and I'll escort you to your rooms.”

They entered, a rounded rotunda with a high, vaulted ceiling topping off the fancy palace. The floors were made of marble as well and Kagome could hear everyone as they walked. In fact, she could hear them as they breathed as the interior seemed to be similar to a giant mausoleum. Brador led them towards the east through wide sweeping hallways. Kagome pressed herself closer to Inuyasha, feeling slightly intimidated by the massive building she was in. Unlike the high skyscrapers she was familiar with, this large palace reminded her of a museum and she desired not to break anything. Inuyasha let go of her hand to place his arm around her waist.

After what seemed to be an eternity, they finally reached a large mahogany door. Brador opened it and bowed. “Lunch will be ready when you are. Enjoy.” He let them enter, then dismissed himself.

The room was large, massive windows lined the wall looking over another garden. Crimson curtains lined them, tied back with gold bands. Against one wall was what appeared to be a throne. The floor was covered with ornate rugs weaved with majestic patterns in reds, golds, and greens. Lush chairs sat in corners with divans spread through out. It was obvious that this room had been created for visiting royalty to feel comfortable in.

A large, oak table sat in the center of the room and a spread of fruit, soup, meats, cheeses, and pastries greeted them. Kagome vaguely wondered how they knew to prepare for their arrival but dismissed it as her stomach growled, reminding her that she was hungry. Inuyasha obviously had the same idea as he let his arm slip from around her waist and his clawed hands eagerly grabbed what he desired to eat first. She sighed at his rudeness but also sampled some fruit, picking up a strawberry. She blushed when she brushed hands with the little red-haired queen. “Sorry.”

She said, “It's no big deal. I just want some strawberries. There's plenty.” She flashed a winsome smile towards her, popping the strawberry into her mouth. “I've always found this place to be a little over the top myself.” Her tone contradicted as if she was envious of the grandeur around them.

Kagome nodded, biting into her own strawberry. She looked around the room some more, drinking in the elaborate décor. She rolled her eyes when she saw that Inuyasha had piled onto a plater a sample of just about everything on it. He had a huge grin on his face as he went by a window to sit on the floor to eat it. Apparently he had no desire to try the soft, alluring furniture. She turned back to the little queen, replying, “I think it's a nice place.” She picked up a cup of tea, sipping from it.

The little red-head's green eyes sparkled as she followed the line of sight Kagome had a moment ago. She leaned over, whispering, “So, what's it like, to well, you know, be with him?”

Kagome blushed, nearly dropping the cup of tea she held. “Excuse me?” It seemed to come from out of no where.

She gripped Kagome around the wrist, pulling her to a corner. She sat down, patting the divan. “Oh come on, you know what I'm talking about.” Her eyes lit up with mischievous merriment.

“I, I don't know what your talking about.” Kagome averted her eyes, sure that she was blushing about the same color as Inuyasha's fire rat. She sipped on her tea, hoping that the queen would drop the subject.

The girl let loose a musical laugh. “Don't be so shy.” She pulled on a red lock, sticking it in between her teeth. “You know, if I wasn't with Garion I'd think seriously about courting that one. His brother's too stiff for my tastes.”

Kagome blushed another shade of red. She stuttered, “It's, it's private.”

“His ears are so soft. I'm envious.” She chewed her hair some more.

Kagome sighed. She looked over towards Inuyasha as he shoved an entire hunk of cheese into his mouth. She rolled her eyes. He had no idea how rude he was being. Kagome finished her tea, setting the cup down onto a small table in between the chair and divan. So far when she talked to the tiny girl she had been buffered with Lady Polgara but now that she was off in a corner with her she felt uncomfortable.

“Oh come on, nothing? Not even a tiny tidbit?” The tiny queen stuck her lip out in a pout.

Kagome looked over towards Inuyasha again as he slurped soup. It seemed as if he intended on devouring everything in sight and if they left him to his devices he might do just that. She hid a smile. For all his gruffness, he was cute. She saw Sesshomaru stand not far away, barely eating anything at all. His eyes looked disapproving of his brother's behavior. She sighed, “Why do you want to know so badly?”

“Oh, just for curiosity's sake.” She twirled her hair around a finger. “He's got such pretty hair and those ears are adorable.”

Polgara's voice cut into the conversation, “Ce'Nedra dear, don't pry into Kagome's private affairs. It's not becoming.”

Ce'Nedra smiled towards the sorceress. “Yes, Lady Polgara.” She turned back towards Kagome, wickedness in her green eyes. She whispered, “Spill already. I bet he likes it when you pet his ears.”

Kagome blushed again. “Really, there isn't much to tell.”

“Really? I would have thought he'd be fun.” Ce'Nedra's eyes snapped with mirth. “Okay, okay. I'll leave you be. I was only curious.” Her bottom lip extended again into a pout. “I still think he'd be interesting. Petting his ears must be like petting a puppy's.” She waggled her eyebrows suggestively.

Kagome gasped. She then giggled. It had been awhile since she had anyone to girl talk with. She leaned over, whispering, “He does like it when you pet his ears. A lot.”

Ce'Nedra's green eyes went wide then narrowed. She glanced towards Inuyasha as he shoved a pastry into his mouth. She turned back, laughter escaping. “Does he know any manners at all?”

Inuyasha looked up from his plate of food in their direction. His gold eyes looked confused and he cocked his head to one side. He was oblivious to the conversation the two women were having about him. Both women began to laugh harder and he shook his head, looking back down at the plate of food he had left to devour.

Kagome caught her breath. “He has no idea.”

The little queen smiled. She said, “Kagome, you're going to love it here at Mal Zeth. Just you wait until you get to your room. The best thing created in the history of the world resides there. An indoor, heated bath tub with as many oils as you could ever want. It's absolute bliss. I've been looking forward to it since we got off that forsaken ship.”

Kagome's eyes widened and she said, “An indoor, heated bath tub? Civilization. I have finally found civilization. I may never want to leave.”

“Well, just so you know, Lady Polgara wants us to take some baths, then meet in her quarters. She wants to fit us with some dresses and prepare us for the dinner and ball tonight. Oh you're going to love it.” Ce'Nedra's eyes lit up with excitement. “This will make your debut at court in the Stronghold look like a country fair.”