Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Thirty-Two ( Chapter 32 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Thirty-Two

Rin sat on the dark green comforter on the bed in the suite she shared with Sesshomaru. She looked out the expansive window to the gray of dawn. It had been a long night and her tiny body felt tired. A yawn escaped her. Rin stood up, crossing the room towards the doorway that lead to the bath chamber. She caught a glimpse of Sesshomaru sitting in the tub, his eyes closed in contentment. He had always preferred bathing in the morning so she knew not to disturb him.

Flopping back onto the bed lying on her stomach, Rin rested her head into her chin. She should be asleep, but couldn't make herself. The party the night before had been exciting, even if for the majority of it she had been separated from her lord. Rin smiled to herself about the fun time she had dancing with Inuyasha instead. Her eye lids felt heavy as she felt sleep finally attempt to claim her. That's when she heard something.

It sounded like something was whispering incessantly, caressing her. It tingled all over her body, flowing through her in jolts. Just what was this whisper? Rin tentatively stood up, her legs feeling shaky. She quietly moved towards the bath chamber again, peering inside. Not wanting to anger her lord, she averted her eyes as she asked, “Sesshomaru-sama, do you hear that?”

To her astonishment, Sesshomaru opened a golden eye and replied, “I hear nothing, Rin. Return to bed.” How could her lord not hear this whisper that floated about her? Rin knew that he could hear things that she couldn't ever hope to hear so it baffled her that he couldn't.

The sound grew louder, swelling almost into a roar. Rin's eyes went wide and she clamped her hands to her ears. It was unbearably loud now. Over the noise that surrounded her, Rin heard her own voice whimper. Before she could sink to the floor, she felt Sesshomaru ease her up, his arm around her waist. She begged, “Please, make that sound stop.” The vast confusion that crossed his usual stoic features startled her.

“Rin, there is no noise. I hear no sound.” His golden eyes were trained on her brown, searching.

She squeezed her eyes shut as it crescendoed and suddenly as fast as it had come it stopped. Silence pervaded the large suite and she blinked. The roar had filled the entire room only a second ago and now she heard nothing. Rin shook her head. “Didn't you hear it? It was loud, like something roaring.”

Sesshomaru looked confused even further. “I heard no sound. No roar.”

Rin hugged him, afraid that it might come back. She said, “It seemed to come from everywhere.” She felt her lord pull her closer to his strong form. Why couldn't he hear it? What was this strange sound that only she could hear? It felt strange as the feeling that had accompanied it receded as well. Her whole body had felt like it was humming only a few moments before and now she felt normal again. She whispered, “Forgive me for disturbing your bath.”

He let go of her, turning her chin to look into his eyes. He said, “Rin, do not be sorry. If it should happen again, tell me.” Sesshomaru turned around, returning to the bathing chamber. He had a towel wrapped around his waist and Rin turned around to glance out the window.

She saw in the garden below them beautiful flowers as dawn finally arrived. A few people passed below and she watched as they scurried. Rin's brow furrowed. What had been that sound? It didn't make sense to her. Why could only she hear it? After all, she was only a human, wasn't she? Rin rested her chin on her arms as she stared out the window.

Sesshomaru reentered the room behind her, fully dressed. He joined her at the window, looking out. “You should rest.” Rin looked up, all sense of sleep fleeing her. She obediently crossed to the bed, however, lying down. Sesshomaru pulled the comforter over her and brushed some hair out of her face. He said, “I'm going to speak with my brother a moment. Remain here and do not open the door for anyone other than myself or Inuyasha.”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” She nodded, a yawn escaping her. She watched as he exited the room, the door clicking shut and locked behind. She traced her finger on the comforter, sighing. Even though she felt bone tired, sleep evaded her again. The concerned look that had rested on Sesshomaru's face as he left haunted her. It must have upset him that she had heard something he couldn't. Rin hoped everything was alright. She snuggled into the comforter, closing her eyes.

Again a soft whisper floated into the room, caressing her. She sat up, rushing to the window to see if she could locate the source outside. Only men walking on the garden paths passed by and no evidence of this strange rushing whisper seemed to exist outside. Rin glanced frantically around the room, trying to locate the source. What was this sound? Where was it coming from? Why couldn't she find it? It surged into the roar it had earlier and she sunk to her knees, gripping her head in her hands. It sounded like an explosion.

Sesshomaru reentered the room, Inuyasha with him. She could hear over the sound her lord call her name but the roar was too loud. She whimpered, “It's loud. So loud. Make it stop.” She saw through bleary eyes Inuyasha and Sesshomaru exchange shocked glances. Accompanying the throb in her head, she felt her abdomen clench tightly in pain. What was happening to her? Why did she hear things that the two brothers couldn't hear and why did her stomach ache so?

Sesshomaru moved closer, pulling her to his shoulder. He rubbed her back gently, rocking her. He asked, “Where is this sound coming from, Rin?”

She squeezed her eyes shut as it crashed against her mind again, sounding almost like a thunderclap. Then it eased away again, silence filling her ears. She whined, however, when she felt her abdomen clench tightly. “It hurts.” She squeezed her arms around his neck, panting from the pain.

Inuyasha said, “I can't hear anything. What's going on?” He sniffed, and his voice became alarmed as he shouted, “Sesshomaru, she's bleeding!”

Rin felt Sesshomaru jerk away from her, his gold eyes almost panicked. It was the first time she had ever seen the emotion cross his face. She grabbed her stomach as another wave of pain settled there. She moaned, feeling nauseous. Tears streaked down her face and she bit her lip. Glancing down, she noticed the blood on the front of her yukata. She sobbed. “What's happening to me, Sesshomaru-sama?”

Sesshomaru stood still, fear clearly in his eyes. First she had heard sounds he could not hear and now she was bleeding. He hugged her fiercely to his chest. “Did someone hurt you?”

Inuyasha sniffed again. “She's not wounded, she's gone into heat.”

Kagome stood in the doorway. “Oh dear. Why don't you let me talk to her? I think we need a girl talk.”

Rin clutched to Sesshomaru with all she could muster. She bit her lip, feeling another severe tightening in her abdomen begin. Rin sobbed into his shoulder. “Make it stop.”

Sesshomaru pulled away from her, his shock evident on his regal features. She looked up to his face for reassurance, finding none. It had been the first time he was unable to calm her. Kagome placed a hand onto her shoulder. She smiled reassuringly at her. “Rin, I think this is something only us girls can understand. Why don't you sit down for a minute?”

Rin nodded, following Kagome's direction. She rubbed her nose with the back of her yukata sleeve. “What is happening, Kagome-sama?”

“Well, you're not a girl anymore. You're a woman, now.” She glanced over towards the two dumbstruck male dog demons. “It's going to be alright, you know. She's just scared. I think I should do this alone.”

Rin saw Sesshomaru glare at the young miko before backing down. She saw Kagome's stern look and wondered why it would cause her lord to back away. He said, “Just make it stop hurting.”

Kagome sighed. “Inuyasha, don't just stand there. Go get my bag. I have something that will help. Oh, and we're going to have to change her clothes.” She looked back down at Rin, smiling again. “It'll be alright.”

Rin watched as Inuyasha scurried out of the room as if life itself depended upon it. She leaned her head onto Kagome's shoulder. “Why does it hurt?”

“It's part of the process. You see, you're body is going through some changes.” Rin noticed the glance towards Sesshomaru as Kagome glared at her lord. “Some of those changes cause you to have pain. It's natural.”

Inuyasha flew through the door, Kagome's yellow bag hoisted on his shoulder. His expression matched her lord's: concerned, frightened, and a little panicked. He said, rushing his words together, “I got it. Now what do you have to stop the hurt?”

Kagome laughed softly. “Inuyasha, I can't just make it stop. It's not just going to go away, so get used to it.” She pulled out a bottle, dumping two little objects onto her palm. “Here, take these. It'll ease some of the pain for now.”

Rin looked at the strange objects, hesitant at first to take them. Another wave of pain swept over her body and she gasped. Clutching her stomach, she reached out with her other hand, picking them up. She asked, “What do I do with them?”

“You swallow them, Rin-chan.” She took a water bottle out, giving it to her. “Put them in your mouth and drink some water.”

Rin looked dubious about it, but did as told. She glanced towards Sesshomaru, wishing he could just make everything go away. At least that strange sound had disappeared. She said, “Thank-you, Kagome-sama.”

“No problem.” She smiled reassuringly again before standing up. She pushed on both Sesshomaru and Inuyasha's backs. “You two, out. I'll let you back in when I'm finished.” Both brothers glared at her, unwilling to move at first. Rin wondered why they had to leave.

Sesshomaru refused to move. “I will not abandon Rin.”

“No one is asking you to. This is just something a girl doesn't talk about in front of guys. Now out. I won't hurt her, if that's what you're worried about.” She put her hands on her hips.

Inuyasha backed away and Rin wondered why the half-demon would be so willing to leave. He held up his hands in defeat. “Alright, we'll go.” He tugged on Sesshomaru's sleeve, trying to get him to follow. It seemed as if Sesshomaru and Kagome were in a stare down and Rin wondered what was going on. Why was it so important for Kagome to talk with her alone? What couldn't be said in front of her lord?

Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed and Kagome crossed her arms, tapping a foot. Neither one seemed willing to back down. Kagome hissed, “If you want, I can draw you diagrams of what's going on. Now out. She's embarrassed enough already. I'll let you back in when I'm done. I'm asking for five minutes, alright?”

Rin wondered who would back down first when Sesshomaru turned his back, following Inuyasha out into the hall. She asked, “Why did they have to leave, Kagome-sama?”

“Well, it's just something girls don't talk about in front of boys.” She smiled, warmth reaching her eyes.

Rin still didn't understand. “What things?”

“Well, what your body is going through, for one.” Kagome pulled something out of her bag. It was a small square object in a yellow color. She said, “This is what you use for the blood.”

“Use?” Rin was curious. She wondered what it would do to stop the blood. “Does it stop it?”

“No, but it will keep it from getting all over your clothes.” Kagome smiled. “It's so exciting. You're going to be a woman now.”

Rin thought of the strange sound she could hear that Sesshomaru couldn't. “Kagome-sama, is there a sound that no one else can hear, too?”

Kagome's expression became confused. “What do you mean?”

“It starts like a whisper and then it grows to this roar.” Rin wanted to know badly what it was. “Sesshomaru-sama couldn't hear it.”

Kagome looked thoughtful. “No. There is no sound that goes with it. What do you mean Sesshomaru-sama couldn't hear it?”

“I heard it just before---before I started to bleed. He said there was no roar.” She frowned, tears forming in her eyes. “What's wrong with me?”

“Nothing, Rin-chan. Listen, let's get you cleaned up and changed. I'll show you how to use what I've given you, alright?” Kagome put her hand onto Rin's shoulder, guiding her. Rin looked forlornly at the door, wishing her lord could have done something about it.


In the hallway, Sesshomaru paced back and forth. He couldn't believe he had been kicked out of his own rooms when Rin was in obvious pain. He should have smelled it coming, prevented her panic. The past few days had been so distracting that he hadn't noticed it enter into her scent. He growled, “What is taking so long?”

Inuyasha stood, his arms crossed. “I don't know. It's some woman thing.”

Sesshomaru stopped, trying to bore holes into the door with his eyes. He felt so helpless and it was a feeling he did not like. The sudden violence of Rin's first cycle unnerved him. She had heard a deafening sound and then her body had convulsed in pain. What was happening to her? What bothered him most was he couldn't hear the sound she had described as being so overwhelmingly loud. “Inuyasha, did you hear any sound such as Rin described?”

“No, but the pup sure seemed to hear it.” Inuyasha began to pace as well. He grunted as he sat down by the door frame. “Wonder what it was.”

Sesshomaru glared at the servants that passed by, daring them to question why he stood in the hallway. He saw in his mind Rin collapsed on the floor again as she covered her ears in pain. The sound she had heard was so loud and yet all he heard was the normal sounds of a beginning day. Her body had shook with such fear and her cries had been abrasive to his ears. There was nothing to attack or destroy. He tapped his foot, impatience setting in. “I'm going back in. I need to make sure Rin is alright.”

“I wouldn't if I were you.” Inuyasha scratched an ear with a foot. “Kagome will get so mad at you if you do you'll regret it.”

Sesshomaru glared at him. “I have no need to fear her. She has no command to stop me as she does you.” He didn't feel like bickering. Rin was in danger and he wasn't at her side.

“It's not the sits that hurt so much. It's that voice when she screams.” He stood up, crossing his arms. “Just wait a little bit more. I know you're worried.”

Sesshomaru glared in his direction before sighing. Down the hallway, Sesshomaru spotted the old man and the Godslayer. The old man sounded irritated as he scolded the Godslayer, “You blockhead, I told you to put the statue back together, not rattle my teeth. Did you have to make so much noise?”

The Godslayer looked down at the floor, his plain features apologetic. “Sorry. I was trying to lift a couple pieces and it got away from me. I didn't mean to be so clumsy.”

Belgarath sighed, throwing his hands up into the air. “Figures. It sounded like a thunderclap when you dropped that second piece.”

A thunderclap? He hadn't heard anything at all. What was the old man talking about? Sesshomaru thought of the noise that Rin had heard that he hadn't. Was this the sound? It couldn't be. He shook his head, glaring back towards the door, wishing he could be with Rin.

Inuyasha shook his head. He whispered, “You don't think Rin heard that noise Garion made, do you?”

“Nonsense.” Sesshomaru didn't want to admit that he had thought the exact same thing. It didn't make any sense. Rin wasn't like them. She didn't possess their odd powers. His brow furrowed as he thought about her pleading for the sound to stop. It just didn't make sense, but it couldn't be the same sound the old man had been talking about, could it?

Sesshomaru paced again in front of the door, growing frustrated with how long it was taking before he could return to Rin. Before he could become impatient again, the door opened and Kagome smiled. “You can come back in now. We're all better now.”

He entered the room, seeing Rin in a new outfit. It was a blue yukata he had made for her. Rin ran to him, hugging him tightly. She said, “I was so scared. I didn't understand but Kagome-sama helped me.” She smiled up at him. “The pain doesn't hurt so much now, either.” He absentmindedly placed his hand onto her hair, rubbing his thumb over it.

Kagome said, “She'll be fine. I explained everything she needed to know. Just make sure she rests some and takes these.” She held a white bottle. “It'll make her cramps less painful.”

Sesshomaru nodded, holding Rin close. Before he could respond to Kagome, Rin asked, “Sesshomaru-sama, can we go for a walk in the garden?”

Kagome said, “Inuyasha, I think we should leave them be.” She yawned. “Besides, I'm so tired.” She led Inuyasha by the hand out of the room, leaving Sesshomaru alone with Rin.
“If you wish, Rin.”

Sesshomaru walked with Rin out to the garden area. Her hand had found his and he didn't resist the touch. When they reached the gardens that had been full of such gruesome events the night before, the dawn seemed to erase the occurrences. The statue that Inuyasha had destroyed now stood again, the figure of a man in bronze.

Rin said softly, “Look at those flowers, Sesshomaru-sama.”

They were immense rose bushes covered in red blossoms. Lilac bushes lined the paths as well. Cherry trees stood in various areas, some in flower. The dawn was quiet as they traversed the empty garden paths alone. After the pain from the morning, Sesshomaru felt content to simply walk with his Rin as she cooed over the various flowers and trees. That something so simple as flowers and trees could make her laugh had always amazed him. She didn't get nearly as excited over the clothes he had ordered for her. He felt her head rest onto his side as they walked, a small yawn escaping Rin.

Finding a bench open, Sesshomaru sat down, Rin climbing into his lap. His hair shrouded her form from the world and they sat under the rising sun. Rin snuggled closer to him, resting her head onto his shoulder. She whispered softly, “I'm sorry I scared you, Sesshomaru-sama.”

“It is not your fault.” Sesshomaru pulled her closer, rubbing his hand on her back. “You can not control nature.”

Rin looked up and placed a finger to his lips before turning in his grasp to look out to the garden. In the center sat a placid lake reflecting the rising sun. Vibrant hummingbirds flitted about as they drew nectar from the roses, lilacs, and orchids. Rin sighed softly, her arms going around his. Another yawn escaped her and Sesshomaru said, “Perhaps we should return.”

Rin rubbed an eye, a small pout crossing her lips. She nodded. “Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.” She slid out of his grasp, walking in front of him through the paths. Rin picked random flowers as she passed, holding them to her nose as she smelled them. He shook his head watching, knowing they would eventually end up as gifts from her.

A voice drew his attention away from Rin, his eyes shifting. “Hey, it's that little girl again. You still can't dress properly, can you?”

Rin went stiff, but didn't answer. She continued to pick flowers, trying to ignore the boy's taunts. Sesshomaru shifted his eyes back and forth between the two. The boy had to be about fourteen. Rin turned towards Sesshomaru the flowers gathered in her hands outstretched towards him. The boy taunted, “I bet you're giving those to that cripple cause you feel bad for him.” He shoved in front of her, keeping her from reaching Sesshomaru.

Rin glared at the boy. “You take that back! Sesshomaru-sama is strong!”

“I told you last night he's nothing but a cripple. What can he do?” The boy taunted, his face in Rin's. His back was turned to Sesshomaru as he further teased, “I bet only a cripple would want you anyways.”

Sesshomaru let a small smile touch his lips as he formed his whip. He smacked it across the boy's backside. “I suggest you respect your superiors.”

The boy yelped in surprise, clutching his bottom. He turned, looking directly into Sesshomaru's face. “What did you do to me?”

Sesshomaru still held his whip ready to discipline the arrogant child before him. “Only what should have been done a long time ago.” Rin ran past the boy, her flowers still in her hands She stood behind him, peeking around his pelt. Sesshomaru flashed his fangs towards the boy.

The boy's eyes went wide and he backed away. “I didn't mean it! Honestly!” The boy turned, fleeing. Sesshomaru watched with calm eyes. The boy was harmless and not worth the effort of chasing down.

He glanced down at Rin as she lifted her armful of flowers toward him. “Here, Sesshomaru-sama. I picked these for you. Thank-you for making that mean boy go away.” Sesshomaru lifted a white orchid from the flowers she had picked. He sniffed it before placing it behind her ear.

“Let us return to our room. You need your rest.”

Rin nodded, clutching the remaining flowers in her fist while her other hand took his again. She leaned her head against his side, walking with him towards the doors to the wing they resided in. Sesshomaru glanced over towards the palace walls, noticing the Godslayer assessing the window that had been smashed. The blonde man seemed intensely focused on how to repair it as he took steps back and forth. He watched as the strange king stopped, looking again, his hand raised slightly. Glass flew up into the air, their shards forming into panes.

What drew his attention was Rin's quiet whimper. She had her eyes closed and her hand had tightened around his. What was bothering her? Her body tensed up and she clenched her teeth. Was she having another bout of pain from her cycle? Rin whispered, “Do you hear that, Sesshomaru-sama? It sounds like a waterfall.”

Sesshomaru felt bewildered. What was she hearing? The old man joined his grandson by the window, now nearly repaired. He said, “You weren't so clumsy this time. I still say the twins heard you in the Vale when you dropped that last statue piece earlier.”

The Godslayer nodded, his hand lowering as the window was fully restored. “It's easier to make a window than it is to lift bronze and fuse it together. You should have had Durnik do it.”

“You're probably right.”

Rin's eyes opened and she said, “It stopped. Did you hear it?”

Sesshomaru was uncertain of how to answer. The girl had obviously heard something he hadn't and it perplexed him. Why couldn't he hear it? After all, she was human and he demon. His hearing surpassed hers in ways that Rin could have only imagined. Rin squeezed his hand again as the old man scrutinized the work the Godslayer had done. Sesshomaru heard the man speak. “Seal.” Then the old sorcerer looked over towards the blonde man. “You forgot to seal the glass in, dummy. You would have had to do it all over again.”

“Sorry.”

Belgarath shook his head. “I'm going to go to bed. I suggest you do the same.” He disappeared into the palace walls.

The Godslayer nodded, adjusting his sword on his back. Sesshomaru watched as the man clenched his head in his hands, much like Rin had. When he finally reclaimed his composure he turned around, looking around frantically. The young king's eyes went wide, his plain features warping into a mask of rage. The Godslayer said, “I know you're there. Show yourself.”

Sesshomaru sniffed briefly, holding onto Rin tightly. He smelt no other man besides the Godslayer. What was going on escaped his comprehension. Suddenly, a man in black robes approached out of the shadows. His face was hidden by his robes. He snarled, “We have no need for you to deal with internal church matters. Leave Mallorea at once and take your demon hosts with you.”

Faster than Sesshomaru thought possible for a human, the blade of blue fire was out, glowing intensely. The Godslayer advanced, waving it towards his opponent. “I think I'll decide where I want to be and what I want to do. You are, after all, only a shadow.”

The man laughed, a dry raspy sound. “I believe we shall see about that.”

Sesshomaru saw that the man had no shadow. Where was he coming from and what was he doing here? He also had no scent. Rin hid herself against him, gripping tightly to his hand. The Godslayer smirked before plunging his hand into the man's chest. “All I have to do is twist and you're dead. You're incapable of hurting me in this state but I can certainly hurt you.” He squeezed a little, and the robed man hissed in pain. The young king pulled his hand back out, twisting. “You can have your shadow back, maybe.”

The man flickered and disappeared. The Godslayer turned, facing the window that had been repaired moments before. He howled in inhuman fury before pointing his sword towards the window. “Burst!” The window exploded, the frame collapsing with it. A rain of glass tinkled through the morning air. The Godslayer paced, furious. He held his sword aloft, blue flame running the blade before closing his eyes. He placed it on his back again, stalking towards the palace doors.

Sesshomaru's eyes went wide as he watched the young man grow furious. Rin tugged on his hand, whimpering. She broke loose, running from him into the garden expanse. Sesshomaru called out, “Rin!” He chased after her, not caring anymore about what was going on with the Godslayer. Rin was frightened and he had to do something.

Rin bolted, fear heavy in her scent. Sesshomaru could smell tears on her cheeks as she ran aimlessly. He caught her, grabbing her by the waist and pulling her close to him. Sesshomaru rocked her, nuzzling her hair in an attempt to calm her. She sobbed, falling slack in his grasp. She whimpered. “It was so loud, so loud.”

Certainly the window exploding had been loud. The sound of shattering glass had disturbed him as well. But to his sensitive ears it hadn't been incredibly loud. Rin, on the other hand, shook, her hands covering her ears in pain. She trembled. A soft whisper reached his ears. “What's wrong with me, Sesshomaru-sama? Did you hear that noise? It sounded like a thunderclap. So loud. Make it go away.”

Sesshomaru hadn't heard a noise as loud as she described. In fact, the shattering of glass and the creaking of wood had been the extent of the noise. What was she hearing that he was not? Rin buried her face into his shoulder, shaking. Her entire body tingled at his touch. Sesshomaru cradled her against himself as he walked back towards the palace. He refused to believe that the sounds that Rin had heard were the sounds the sorcerers could only hear. His Rin wasn't one of them. She couldn't be.

When they reached their rooms, he eased himself onto the bed, Rin snuggled on his chest, her eyes glazed. She looked so tired and drained. Sesshomaru kissed her forehead, nuzzling her hair with his nose. He whispered, “Nothing is wrong with you, Rin. Just rest.” Rin yawned wide, snuggling into his shoulder. It was obvious that spending all night at the party and then the sudden pain of her first cycle had worn the girl out. Her soft breaths reached his ears as she fell into a deep sleep. Closing his own eyes, he allowed sleep to overtake him, content to rest with her on his chest.