Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Thirty-Three ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Thirty-Three

Inuyasha stared up at the ceiling as he lay in the giant bed within their suite. Kagome was sprawled across his chest, one of her legs draped over his. Her even breaths declared that she was fast asleep, completely spent from the events of the past forty-eight hours. He rubbed a hand over her hair, threading the dark, raven strands through his claws. Inuyasha sighed, closing his eyes.

He thought about the remark Myoga had made to them before the assassins had consumed so much time. What important information did the flea have for them? Inuyasha wasn't certain he wanted to exactly know what the flea had to say. Tracing a circle on Kagome's cheek, he looked at her sleeping face. She looked so peaceful, her mouth parted slightly.

While he certainly wouldn't change anything about being her mate, Inuyasha wondered if he was still worthy. After all, he was still a half-breed and with that came the stigma. He knew that others had to view Kagome's acceptance of him to her bed and heart as a disgrace. He routinely saw the eyes staring at him, disgust barely contained in them. Yet, anyone who would dare declare her as tainted while he was in hearing distance would feel his wrath. They could say what they wanted about him. He was used to it. Kagome, on the other hand, was off limits as far as he was concerned.

Glancing over towards the window, he saw that the morning sun had risen high into the sky as it approached noon. The last day and a half seemed to be a blur to him. So much had happened and now that he was finally able to relax he could process it. He thought about the party in passing. It had been mind numbingly dull at its best. The events with Zelleth angered him but also seemed to be a blur. The assassins who had stolen her strange object had been nothing more than a nuisance. About the only thing that brought a smile to his face was the fact Inuyasha had spent some time with his mate. This only brought him back to the original problem, however.

Arriving back at his inner struggle with himself, Inuyasha thought about the conversation he had overheard that the assassins had about Kagome and himself. The way they had described overhearing their mating had disgusted him. They had made it seem like they were simply rutting and that she was some whore to be used for fleeting pleasure. Inuyasha choked back a growl, not wanting to disturb Kagome as she slept peacefully.

Yet, Inuyasha couldn't help but feel unworthy of her on some level. After all, he did have tainted blood in him. Hearing Myoga mention that he had information for the two of them concerning his status as a half-demon had thrown him into a flux of emotions. Inuyasha certainly knew he loved her and that she loved him, but he couldn't help the fact that his blood was considered dirty. By proxy, Kagome would also be associated as such and that angered him.

Inuyasha watched her sleep, sniffing her hair. She smelled sweet and musky, and much of himself rested over her scent. Kagome's hands slid over his bare chest as she stretched in her sleep. She snuggled closer, nuzzling him under the chin with her nose. He heard his name cross her lips mid-yawn before she settled back down, one hand going to his shoulder. Her foot rubbed his leg, and although he had his hakama on, he felt as if he been burned by her touch. A soft whimper escaped his throat and he nuzzled her hair.

Kagome lifted her head up, one tired eye open. “'yasha, you awake?” His brow arched at her shortening of his name.

“Yeah. Go back to sleep.” Inuyasha tugged the blankets up around them, adding extra warmth.

She yawned wide before burying her nose under his chin. Kagome snuggled against him, a soft sound that sounded almost like a purr escaping her throat. She kissed his neck, running her tongue over it before resting her head back down. He groaned. Kagome pulled back, sitting up. She rubbed a tired eye, asking, “What's going on, Inuyasha?”

He pushed himself up, averting his gaze from her. Inuyasha rested himself on his elbows, glancing out the window. He didn't want to disturb her more than he already had. Inuyasha's ears drooped when he felt Kagome take his hand into hers. Inuyasha didn't look in her direction. “It's been a long night, that's all.”

Kagome sighed. Her voice was no longer thick with sleep. “Inuyasha, look at me. What's wrong?”

He flinched, turning his gaze in her direction. “Nothing.”

“It's not nothing. Don't hide from me.” Kagome nuzzled his hair, her nose rubbing an ear. “I want to know what's wrong.”

Looking into her gold-speckled eyes, Inuyasha felt his resolve melt. He couldn't lie to his mate and even if he denied any thing bothering him he could face a punishment worse than being sat into infinity. He blurted out before he could stop himself, “You happy being my mate?”

Kagome's nose wrinkled in confusion as she pulled back in surprise. “Where did that come from? Of course, Inuyasha. I wouldn't have it any other way. Why?”

“Just been thinking, that's all.” Inuyasha looked away again, noticing some birds fly by the window.

Kagome placed her head back onto his shoulder. “About what?”

“I'm a half-breed and I know that people look at me a certain way. They're going to look at you the same way, too.” Inuyasha placed his arm around her shoulders, rubbing her back through the cotton pajamas she wore.

“I know what you are and I keep telling you it doesn't matter to me. What brought this on?” She ran a finger in an unseen design on his shoulder.

“Myoga. He said he had things to tell us about us being mates. It got me thinking.” Inuyasha ran his hand through her hair.

“About what exactly? Inuyasha, I think you're upsetting yourself needlessly.” She took his free hand into her own, holding it.

Inuyasha held her close. He whispered, “I just don't know if I'm worthy.”

“Worthy? Inuyasha, now I know you're just upsetting yourself. You're tired. You should get some sleep.” Kagome lifted herself up, looking into his eyes. “I keep telling you over and over that it doesn't matter to me that you're a half-demon. I wouldn't change you for the world.” She kissed him before resting her head back onto his shoulder.

“Kikyo---” Before he could finish his thought, Kagome had pulled away, hurt in her eyes. She had paled, pushing herself to the other side of the bed with her feet before standing. He reached out, trying to grab her hand when he felt her palm connect with his cheek.

“You, do you think about her when we, when we make love? Am I just her replacement?” Tears streaked down her cheeks. She turned her back on him. “Is that what you think about when you're with me?”

Inuyasha flattened his ears to his skull. He hadn't ever thought about Kikyo once when they were together, making love, as Kagome described it. “No. Kagome, wait. Let me finish.” He put his hand onto hers and she flinched, pulling away.

“Don't touch me.” She looked up, her eyes swimming with new tears. “Why? You say you're not good enough for me but what if I'm not for you? I'm just a copy----”

Inuyasha growled before crushing his mouth to hers to silence her. She pushed against his chest with her hands, trying to break away but he refused. He held her arms and said, “Let me finish. What I was trying to say is Kikyo wouldn't accept me as a half-demon. Why do you?”

Kagome stiffened in his grasp. She sniffed. “Because I think if you ever truly love someone you take them for what they are, the good and the bad. You can't want them to become something they're not. You're not really loving them, then.” She looked up towards him, confusion and hurt swirling in her eyes.

“You're not just a copy. Don't ever say that. You're Kagome. Mine. I don't ever want to hear you say you're not worthy.” He let her go, turning around. “I'm the one with tainted blood. I'm the abomination. Look at how everyone looks at me.”

Kagome took his hand into hers. “Inuyasha, you're upsetting yourself. What is the matter? I've told you, I love you as a half demon. I love who you are. Why can't you get that through your head?”

“I can't give you pups.” He thought about the day in the tent when they had mated; Inuyasha knew she had been in heat and yet she hadn't conceived. He rushed his words out. “That day, in the tent, you were in heat and yet you aren't well you know.”

To Inuyasha's surprise, Kagome laughed. “Oh Inuyasha, you goof. I'm on birth control. You can't give me children yet because I'm not ready and neither are you. I take it so we don't have to worry till it's time.” She hugged him and he put his hand on her hair.

“Birth control? What's that?” Emotions swirled through him. Did she not want his pups? “Don't you want them?”

“Of course I do, but I know we should wait. Naraku is still about and it wouldn't be fair.” Kagome slipped out of his embrace, pulling a small white object from her bag. “These are birth control pills. Mama put me on them shortly after I started traveling back through the well. They stop me from being able to conceive. When I want to, I can stop taking them and then I can get pregnant.”

Inuyasha looked at them curiously. “Are you sure?”

“You were convinced not two minutes ago that we couldn't ever have children, weren't you?” Kagome kissed him. “Is there anything else bothering you?”

Inuyasha nuzzled her hair. “No. I guess we better find out what Myoga has to tell us.”

Almost as if on cue, Kagome slapped her cheek, the flea squished into her palm. The flea recovered, looking at the pair of them. “Well, hello there, Inuyasha-sama, Kagome-sama. I trust you have slept well?”

Inuyasha grabbed the flea, squishing him between his claws. “How much did you hear?”

“Uh, um, well, nothing, Inuyasha-sama.” He shook his head. “I do think we should talk, however. Much needs to be discussed.”

Inuyasha flopped back down onto the bed, Kagome pulled into his lap. Myoga stood on his hand, looking at the two of them. “Well, make it fast. What's so important, anyways?”

“Well, you see, because you are a half-demon with a human mate, there are some things you must know.” Myoga cleared his throat. “In ordinary circumstances, a half-demon will lose a human mate because of a human's short life span.”

Inuyasha froze. He didn't like what was being said. “Talk faster, flea. I'm feeling the need to squish you.”

“Well, Kagome-sama isn't an ordinary human. She's a miko. That changes matters. Tell me, when you, were, um, shall I say occupied, the first time, did a strange light ever appear?” Myoga said, his cheeks slightly stained red.

Inuyasha thought about it and did indeed remember a brief pink light. It had been right before he had marked Kagome. He nodded. “Yes, there was. What's that got to do with anything?”

“Good. That light was her miko energy essentially marking you in return. Kagome gained something from you other than your mark.” Myoga sighed. “You see, because she is a miko, and because her energy accepted you as her mate she gained some of your traits. She may never have your senses or appearance, but she can gain your life span and slow aging. If she had been ordinary, the case would be very different indeed.”

Kagome gasped. “How can I have his life span?”

“Simple. You accepted him and in that acceptance your energy rather than purifying him instead harnessed some of his own power into your body.” Myoga jumped up, landing onto Kagome's nose. “You have some of Inuyasha-sama's eye color. That is your other mark from him, the one that your miko energy placed there when it took from him. Your energy and his energy collided in that instant. If it hadn't been accepted, I'd be afraid to see the results.” Myoga shuddered.

Inuyasha shook his head. “What else she going to get from me now that we've established her life span?”

“Over time, she might very well have enhanced hearing and smell. It'll be heavily diluted compared to yours, of course, but it'll be there none the less. The more she accepts you the more her miko powers will skim from the top. She could also heal at a much more normal rate than she does now. One can never tell what might be gained in these situations.” Myoga tapped his walking stick. “Now, Inuyasha-sama, do you have any other questions or may I ask you a few?”

Inuyasha snorted. “Like what, exactly?”

“Such as exactly what is going on with you and Sesshomaru-sama?” Myoga's voice squeaked on his brother's name.

Inuyasha huffed. “The jackass and I decided to quit being stupid and target Naraku together.”

“I see, so you are saying once Naraku is dead you will resume your fighting?”

“Hell no. It's a waste of time.” Inuyasha glared at the flea. “It's none of your business what goes on between me and my brother. Sesshomaru and I can work out our own relationship without your involvement.”

Kagome giggled. “You love your brother. Just admit it.”

Inuyasha's eyes went wide, his ears at full alert. “I what! I do not love that overdressed, full of shit, overbearing asshole. What ever gave you that idea?”

“You just said that you loved him a total of four times. You just say it with insults instead. He does the same thing with you, you know.” Kagome smiled, hugging him around the neck.

“You're crazy, wench. Men don't feel that way about other men.” Inuyasha averted his gaze from her.

“Oh really, why is it that you two say 'I love you' about a million times a day then?” Kagome turned his face towards her.

“We do not. I don't know what you're talking about.” A faint blush tinged his cheeks.

“Uh huh. He calls you half-breed, you swear at him, he tells you to know your place, you threaten him, and the cycle begins again. You two say 'I love you' more than just about anyone I know. Just admit you. You love your older brother.”

Myoga squeaked. “Is this true, Inuyasha-sama?”

“No! I don't love my stupid brother. What do you think I am?” Inuyasha pushed Kagome away, turning his back on them. “What's the matter with you?”

“Okay, but I still say you're just mad cause you know I'm right.” Kagome laughed. “Listen, Lady Polgara has agreed to teach me how to cook. I should pay her a visit.” She kissed Inuyasha on the cheek.

“Wait! Get back here! I'm not done with you.” Inuyasha rushed to stand in front of the door.

“I'll be fine. Lady Polgara is quite capable, don't you think?”

Inuyasha crossed his arms. “Fine. Be that way.”

“Don't pout.” She kissed his cheek again before exiting into the hall way.

Inuyasha stood in the doorway, watching to make sure she arrived safely. He closed the door, slumping against it. Myoga piped up, “Inuyasha-sama, is it true that you pushed your brother out of harm's way?”

“You're still here?” Inuyasha glared at the flea. “Why do you care so much about my relationship with Sesshomaru?”

“Well, you see, I am just trying to understand what is going on between you two, that's all.” Myoga stuttered.

Inuyasha squished him. “Yeah, I did. So what. We're not going to waste time fighting anymore so just drop it. I'm going to go take a walk and think for awhile. You're not invited.”

“But Inuyasha-sama!”

Inuyasha ignored him, making his way down the hall. He stopped when he heard an explosion followed by loud cursing. Glancing through the door, he saw Garion in an obvious fit of rage. Garion raised his finger, bellowing at a volume the half-demon hadn't know the young man possessed. Followed by his snarl came the sound of another explosion. He slowly crept towards the door, looking inside. The room was ransacked, several items lying in ruins. Garion let loose long strings of curses, each being followed by its own separate detonation. What was angering the young king so?

Inuyasha was about to turn back and keep his distance. He decided against it when he heard Garion pant, sounding spent from his release of anger. “You done in there?”

Garion looked up, his blue eyes full of fury. He closed them, catching his breath. Waving his hand once, he shattered the window in the room. Inuyasha's eyes went wide. Where was the shy, well mannered man he had come to know thus far? “I ran out of things to destroy, so I guess.”

“What's going on?” Inuyasha flattened his ears to his head.

“Some idiot thought it'd be funny to attempt an attack on my wife. They tried to kill her by drowning her in the tub.” He leveled his finger at the last remaining object in the room, a small vase. It shattered with another explosion. “They came so close. She's nearly drowned once before.”

Inuyasha growled. So his mate wasn't the only one targeted by these assassins. “What did you do with him?”

“Zakath locked him away. It's a good thing cause I feel the urge to will him out of existence and that'd only backfire on me.” He looked up, his eyes cold. “Belar! They had me distracted with that stupid Grolim playing with his shadow when it happened. Thankfully Ce'Nedra will be alright. Aunt Pol checked on her awhile ago and told me to let her rest.”

Inuyasha sat down on the bare floor. “Why? Your mate doesn't have the jewel shards.”

“They did it because they don't want me involved. They want me to turn back and go home to Riva.” Garion ran a hand through his sandy hair. “I do miss home, but I know I can't abandon Zakath to these demons. I don't know why your enemy Naraku is here doing this, but I intend to put a stop to it. I didn't go through with what I did to defeat Torak to have someone else screw it up.”

Inuyasha nodded. “That's understandable.” He paused, thinking about what Rin had gone through earlier that morning. “Can I ask you something?”

Garion caught his breath, his head in his hands. “Sure.”

“Your sorcery, or what ever you call it, what does it sound like to other sorcerers?”

“Grandfather could explain this so much better than me. I'm surprised he isn't in here yelling at me for making so much noise just now.” He looked up, smiling slightly. “Depending what you're doing, those with talent would really feel more than hear it, but it can be described anywhere from sounding like a whisper to a loud roar. I probably rattled the teeth of anyone with talent within two hundred leagues.”

Inuyasha's eyes went wide. The pup had heard it then. But why would Rin hear the sounds sorcerers made? She wasn't one. Rin was just an ordinary girl. “I see.”

“Why do you ask? You hearing it?”

“No. I was just curious.” He didn't want to bring Rin into the equation just yet. The little girl had endured enough for one day and didn't need to be examined. Besides, Sesshomaru would most likely be furious if anyone tried.

“You probably think I'm sort of monster.” The self-loathing in the young man's voice shocked Inuyasha.

“Me? Look at me, I'm a half-breed.” Inuyasha tugged on his ears for emphasis. “I'm in no condition to be passing that sort of judgment, if you haven't noticed.”

Garion laughed weakly. “I guess I never thought of it that way. We make quite the pair, don't we?”

Inuyasha laughed with him, unsure of why. It felt good none the less. “You could say that.”

Garion shook his head. “I guess we should clean it up. Grandfather will probably scold me in awhile so instead of waiting I'll do something.”

Inuyasha shrugged, finding he had nothing better to do for the time being.”Alright.”


Rin felt her cheek brush something soft. Opening one eye, she saw that it was Sesshomaru's white fur. She realized that she had slept on his chest. Glancing up, she saw that he was asleep. Her lord looked so peaceful and she didn't wish to disturb him but her stomach hurt again. Rin wanted to take more of the strange objects Kagome had provided.

Slowly, she slid down his body trying to not wake him. Rin stopped moving as she felt his strong arm tighten around her, fearing that he was awake. Lifting her head slightly, she saw Sesshomaru's head move more into the pillows, his eyes still closed. He relaxed the grip on her waist and she slipped out. Rin rolled over, landing onto the soft plush of the bed next to him. So far she had been successful.

Setting a foot down onto the plush green carpet, Rin kept her eyes on her lord to make sure he would not stir. Her other foot touched down and she stood still a few brief moments, watching him. His hair billowed around his head like a silver curtain, shrouding the pillows. Some of it spilled over the edge of the bed, a stark contrast from the green underneath. A fang peeked out of his mouth at one corner. Sesshomaru's chest rose and fell in easy breaths. It was a sight that Rin had not seen often in her travels with her lord.

Rin reached out towards the nightstand for the white bottle. Kagome had told her that she could take two when the pain returned. She struggled to open it, twisting the cap. It came off and she slowly shook it so not to wake Sesshomaru. Her hands shook as she felt a jolt run through her body and something crash violently against her mind. A roar filled her ears and she dropped the bottle, spilling its contents to the floor. Rin whined, wishing the noise and strange jolt would ebb.

A strong arm held her up and she struggled to lift her head as she looked up into her lord's face. Sesshomaru's eyes were concerned, his mouth drawn into a tight line. She squeezed her eyes shut as she heard another detonation crash against her ears. Sinking even further, Rin felt her body become numb from the unrelenting assault on her ears and mind. She gasped, putting her hands to her ears to try in vain to block it. Her cheek rested against Sesshomaru's firm chest.

Over the roar she could hear his voice ask what was wrong but the words seemed to be scrambled. When would the assault stop? When would the continuous explosions subside? She choked out, “Please---it hurts---so loud.”

Another thunderclap resounded in her ears and Rin whined. She felt her body shake from the constant onslaught. Sesshomaru's hand rubbed her back in gentle circles trying to ease her discomfort. Nothing seemed to end the painful noises or the throbbing of her body. As suddenly as it came, it disappeared and Rin slumped forward, her head resting onto his fur. She felt tears streak down her cheeks. She asked, “Did you hear it? It was so loud, like thunder.” Rin was desperate for her lord to hear what she heard.

“No, Rin. I heard no noise.” He sat down onto the bed, cradling her against his chest. Sesshomaru rocked her slowly, his clawed hand rubbing her hair.

Rin sobbed, throwing her arms around his neck. “What is wrong with me? Kagome-sama said that there is no sounds like I'm hearing with my, my time of the month. No one else can hear what I hear. Why?”

Sesshomaru nuzzled her hair with his nose. He whispered, the doubt in his voice unnerving to her, “I do not know.”

Rin rubbed her nose under his chin, settling her head down. She felt emotionally, mentally, and physically drained. She let her eyes drift shut, content to be held by her lord as the pain from a few moments ago subsided entirely. Whatever was happening to her, Sesshomaru would find a way to stop, she was confident in that. If only Sesshomaru could hear what she did he would know what to do. “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama. I tried to be quiet.”

“Do not apologize for what you cannot control.” His voice sounded stern but gentle.

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” She snuggled closer. “Can we go back and sit by that pond? It was nice.”

Sesshomaru stood, cradling her to his chest as he silently gave into her request. He made his way out through the gardens towards the large pond in the center. It reflected the afternoon sun and birds flocked about, splashing in its depths. Rin kept her head rested against her lord, content to allow his presence and the scent of flowers soothe her.

Hummingbirds drew her attention as they flitted about on the flowering bushes. Rin slid out of Sesshomaru's lap, making her way to the bushes to pick flowers to weave into a crown. She selected a few red roses and a few white orchids, sitting down not far from her lord to begin weaving. It had been awhile since she had presented him with such a gift and after upsetting him she felt the need to make up for it. Rin saw through the corner of her eye that Sesshomaru sat watching her, his cool golden eyes trained on her as she worked.

She stood, crossing towards the bushes to look for some type of grass to place the flowers she picked on. “I wonder where some fern or grass is. I can't make my crown without it.” She muttered it quietly to herself, uncertain of where to look in the expansive gardens around her. Hummingbirds flitted closer to her, their wings making buzzing sounds as they flew. Rin looked at them with curiosity as to why they might come so close. The hummingbirds flew away, hovering in front of her and she followed, curious to see where they might go next. Maybe they knew of a place with what she was looking for.

When Rin turned a few corners she came across a small garden patch filled with reeds and grasses. It almost seemed as if the hummingbirds had led her there deliberately. She said, “Thank-you.” Rin felt odd for saying thank-you to the birds but they had, after all, brought her to what she needed. Besides, her lord had taught her manners and Rin would do nothing to displease him.

A tiny voice brought her attention and she looked around for its source. “You're welcome, Rin. If you need any other flowers or anything just ask, we'll help you.” A few of the hummingbirds brushed her face with their wings. Had one of them said it?

“Who's there? Who said that?” Rin asked, trying to figure out what was going on. Did the bird talk? Her day could not have become any more strange, she was certain of it.

“Silly Rin, I did.” A black hummingbird with a green throat and violet crest brushed his wings against her face. “Who did you think it was?”

“You talk?” Rin looked amazed as she looked at the hummingbird flitting about in front of her.

“Of course. All birds do. You should talk to Polgara about that.” The bird made his way to a bush of blue morning glories. He drank in some nectar before returning. “I think this would be nice for your crown.”

Rin blinked. Surely she was losing her mind. Birds didn't talk. She reached out, picking a few blossoms, however. It would go well with the red and white she already had set aside. Remembering the manners her lord had taught her, she said, “Thank-you.”

Another bird's tiny voice squeaked, “You should get some yellow roses and violets. It'd make that strange man you're with look nice.”

Rin shook her head in disbelief. Here she was hearing noises Sesshomaru couldn't hear and now birds talked to her. She nodded, picking a few of the yellow roses, mindful of the thorns before selecting a few violets. She smiled as a few of the multicolored hummingbirds flitted about her. Rin didn't understand why she could speak with the birds by they were certainly helpful in her quest to make a nice crown for her lord. She said, “Thank-you. I think I have enough now.”

One red hummingbird brushed past her. “Why don't you fly, too? Can that man you're with fly? It seems such a waste to crawl on the ground, you know.” Its tiny voice seemed rushed as if the thoughts blurred together before the bird could finish them.

Rin said, “No, I can't fly. Sesshomaru-sama can if he wants, though. He doesn't have wings like you but I've seen him fly before.” She found herself nearing the pond area again, Sesshomaru's eyes trained on her still. Confusion filled his golden orbs as he surveyed what she was doing. She whispered to her new found friends, “I can't thank-you enough for helping me find these for Sesshomaru-sama. I must return to him now. It was nice talking.”

Rin sat down, readying the supplies she had gathered. She pulled the wide fern she had, making it into a chain. She put the delicate flower petals onto it, weaving their color in with the rich green. It would certainly look good atop her lord. Rin kept her distance from him while she made her gift, wanting to keep its final outcome a secret until she was ready to place it on his head. He did deserve a gift and it was the only one she could provide after all.

One of the hummingbirds, the same one that had led her to the fern, flew around her watching her work. He said, “I guess your wings aren't useless after all. You really should try to fly sometime. I bet you could if you just tried.”

Rin giggled. “But then I couldn't make these for Sesshomaru-sama.”

She saw his eyebrow arch in her direction and she fell silent, concentrating on her project for her lord. The crown formed nicely as she placed the flowers in a pattern of red, blue, yellow, purple, and white until it repeated. Other birds joined the hummingbirds, dropping smaller grasses and flowers. Sparrows and chickadees helped her gather more supplies without being asked.

One of the sparrows drifted down, landing by her. He looked up at her, asking, “May I have that seed, Rin? It's the only thing I want in return. My mate has babies waiting for food.”

Rin stopped, glancing at him. She spotted the tiny black seed the bird had requested, holding it out in her palm. Rin watched as the little sparrow jumped into her hand, pecking gently at it to pick up the offering. He flew off, his tiny voice echoing, “My mate much appreciates it, Rin. Give Polgara my regards when you see her.”

Turning back to her work, she saw the most beautiful flower yet to be presented to her. It was a fully bloomed yellow rose with enough stem to make it the center of the crown. It looked almost gold in its center as it faded into a soft yellow in the outer petals. It reminded Rin of the color of her lord's eyes. Glancing towards the direction the sparrow had gone, she silently thanked him for the gift of this bloom. The rest were small, forming the rest of the garland she made. Rin wasn't sure what to think of this new found understanding but she was thankful for it as she worked hard on making the best crown she had ever made for her lord.