Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Fifty ( Chapter 50 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter Fifty

Rin shifted against Kagome in an attempt to become comfortable. The storm had stopped and the silence that settled over the tent soothed her. She could hear the sound of Shippo's easy breaths as the young fox boy slept. The soft clink of cup and saucer indicated that Poledra remained with them. Rin opened an eye, looking at the wolf-woman. The tawny-haired woman's gold eyes connected with hers and an amused smile crossed her lips. Rin grasped in her hand her amulet, the cool metal tingling in her grip. She yawned, nuzzling her nose into the crook of Kagome's neck.

“You feeling alright, Rin-chan?” Kagome threaded her fingers through Rin's hair.

Rin burrowed her face further into Kagome's shoulder as another yawn escaped. “Yes, Kagome-sama. Rin is just tired and wishes to return to the tent before Sesshomaru-sama returns.”

Kagome sighed, pulling her closer. “I'm sure Sesshomaru-sama will return shortly. He'll be back. Inuyasha went to talk to him.”

Rin sighed. “I know, Kagome-sama.”

“One wonders why your pack-leader would find himself out in the storm.” Amusement filled the wolf-woman's voice. “Unless it is a custom, of course.”

Kagome snorted. “Strange custom if you ask me.” She sighed. “Rin-chan, stay here. I'm going to see if I can find those two.”

Rin sat up. “Okay, Kagome-sama.”

Kagome gently settled Shippo onto the floor and the young fox curled up into a tight ball, his tail tucked around him. She pulled the blanket over him, and brushed some hair out of Shippo's face. Kagome smiled and kissed Rin on the forehead. “I'll be back, I promise.” She disappeared out of the tent.

Rin pulled her knees to her chest, resting her chin onto them. Rin whispered, “I'm sorry I made you angry, Sesshomaru-sama.”

“One wonders why you are sorry, Rin. You have done nothing wrong and your pack-leader is not angry with you.” The wolf-woman stood, crossing the tent. She knelt down next to Rin, placing a hand onto the girl's shoulder. “Your pack-leader worries for you, rightly so, but he is not angry. You have not faulted him in any way. It serves no purpose to punish yourself for something you have not done.”

Rin lifted her head, looking up towards the wolf-woman. “But I did make him angry, Poledra-sama. He brought me back to camp and left again.” A small tear trickled down her cheek and she brushed it away. “What if Rin made Sesshomaru-sama so angry that he left for good? What if he doesn't want to see Rin anymore?”

Poledra pulled her into a hug. “Rin, dear, your pack-leader will return. I'm certain of it.” She kissed Rin's forehead. “One knows that he cares very much for you. He's just having a hard time adjusting to this new you. You're growing up, Rin. Sometimes that startles people, although I don't really know why. All pups grow up to be adults. It's how things are.” She smiled and warmth filled her honey eyes.

“How do I make it right with him, Poledra-sama?” Rin leaned her head onto Poledra's shoulder. “How do I apologize for making him angry?”

“Well, dear, first you must stop thinking you've done something wrong. I know he's said that he is not angry with you. Believe him, Rin. Your pack-leader does not lie. It is not his custom to do so and he takes customs very seriously.” Poledra hugged Rin closer. “I know this is difficult. It'll get easier, I promise.”

“Why me, Poledra-sama?” Rin closed her eyes as another tear streaked down her cheek. “I don't understand. Why am I a sorceress?”

Poledra laughed softly. “Oh, Rin, dear, why must everyone ask that question? It just is.” She rocked her. “You're very special, you know. You and your pack-leader may not understand the gift Aldur gave you now, but one day it will become clear. You'll see. You have a lot of important things to do. It'll be alright in the end, I'm sure of it.”

“I hope so, Poledra-sama. I don't like making Sesshomaru-sama angry. I don't like it when he worries.” Rin sighed.

“I know, dear. I saw how he looked at you after you used your Will. He is proud of you. He has every right to feel that way. I know I do. You have learned well so far, Rin.” Poledra ran her hand through Rin's hair. “Have you practiced at all since this morning?”

Rin nodded. “Yes, Poledra-sama. Sesshomaru-sama wanted me to show him again after you left.”

“And after that?”

“No, Poledra-sama. He took me back to camp and told me to get ready for bed.” Rin yawned, rubbing an eye.

“I see. We shall have another lesson tomorrow night. I will teach you a new thing then.” She rubbed Rin's back.

“Okay, Poledra-sama.” A wide yawn escaped from her mouth.

A loud shout outside the tent caused Rin to pull away from the wolf-woman. “Damn you, Sesshomaru! Will you stop with the silent treatment already? I'm trying to talk to you and I know you're not fucking deaf.”

Rin heard her lord's smooth voice reply, “Half-breed, we have nothing left to discuss.”

“You're just pouting. Admit it already. You're a sore loser and now you're sulking because I kicked your pompous ass.”

“This Sesshomaru does no such thing.”

“You're so touchy. Like hell you don't. You ever listen to yourself, jackass? I already told you that you sound stupid when you say shit like that. Or would you like a rematch, cause if you do that's fine by me.” Inuyasha taunted the Demon Lord, shouting, “Bring it on, right here, right now, fucker. This Inuyasha is ready to kick your royal ass again.”

“Do not be foolish, half-breed. I refuse to partake in this ridiculous behavior.”

“What, you afraid you'll look---undignified? It's a little late for that, stupid. I think you lost what ever shred of dignity you had left about ten minutes ago when I got you in a head-lock,” Inuyasha crowed.

“This conversation is finished, half-breed. There is nothing left to discuss.”

“Sure there is, like how I'll kick your ass this time. I like that topic, don't you? I find it to be most---amusing.”

“You are absurd, little brother.”

“And you're a royal pain in the ass. Your point? You have anything to back up your tough talk or are you just hot air, huh, big brother?”

“I see no reason to continue this conversation.”

Rin stood, crossing towards the tent flap. She peeked out of it and gasped when she saw the hanyou and her lord. Both stood covered in mud, their silver hair a dull gray. Sesshomaru's clothes hung in shreds around his shoulders and deep gashes ran the pale skin of his arm. In the center of Inuyasha's haori was a massive hole. The hanyou twitched his ears and Rin noticed that one was stained red and torn. Sesshomaru brushed his hand through his mud-caked hair, flinging mud from his finger tips to splash across Inuyasha's face.

Inuyasha sputtered. “I see how it is, asshole. You want to go for another round, fine by me. Bring it on, fucker. Let's go.”

Kagome stomped from the trees, her eyes narrowed as she glared at the demon brothers. “There you are! I have looked all over for you.” Inuyasha howled in pain and Rin winced as Kagome gripped his injured ear between her fingers, the nails digging in as she yanked. “Inuyasha!” She shouted directly into his ear. “I asked you to talk to your brother. Just what do you think you're doing?”

Sesshomaru turned his back, preparing to make his way towards the bath. He said, “I believe your mate wishes to speak with you, little brother.”

Kagome yanked on Inuyasha's ear as she moved to follow the Demon Lord. “Oh no you don't, Sesshomaru. Stop right there. Don't you dare take another step, mister. You two are coming with me. We're going to have a little talk.”

Sesshomaru stopped, glancing over his shoulder. “Do not think you can issue commands to this Sesshomaru as you do my brother, miko.”

Kagome pulled Inuyasha with her as she leaned into the Demon Lord's face. “Try me, mister. Do you have any idea how long I've sat with Rin waiting for you? I expect this type of behavior from Inuyasha, but you? You two are going to go into that grove over there and tell me what took so long and you're going to do it now or else.” She scowled at him as she shouted.

Inuyasha whimpered and struggled against Kagome's grip. “Kagome! Let go! That fucking hurts.”

“You, get moving or I'll 'it you so hard into the ground you won't walk for a week, do you hear me? Get over into that grove this instant.” Kagome released her grip on Inuyasha's ear and the half-demon massaged the tip between clawed fingers. She pointed towards a small clump of trees away from the camp. “I think you two would rather I didn't embarrass you in front of the entire camp. Now march.”

Sesshomaru sighed and rolled his eyes. He started to follow Inuyasha and Rin wondered why he had given into Kagome's demand. Rin heard her lord mutter, “This is utter foolishness. As if this Sesshomaru takes orders from a mortal.”

“Did you say something, Sesshomaru?” Kagome hissed in a deadly tone. “Mind sharing with the rest of us? I know you can hear much better than me, so what did you say? I'm sorry that I'm just a weak mortal and couldn't quite make it out. You'll have to forgive me for my weaknesses.”

“Nice going, jackass. Now you've done it. She's going to kick your ass for sure,” Inuyasha taunted. He yowled when Kagome yanked on his injured ear. “Kagome, ow! Let go! Fuck, that hurts!”

“Shut up, Inuyasha.” She tugged the half-demon towards the grove. “You're in just as much trouble if not more, buster.”

Rin followed the trio, hesitant to provoke Kagome's anger in her direction. Curiosity overwhelmed her and she hid herself behind a tree. It was not something her lord would approve of, but Rin had to know what was going to happen next. Rin needed to know why her lord would tolerate Kagome's orders. She peeked around the tree, staring in fascination at Sesshomaru. His regal face was sullied by blood and grime and an irritated expression rested on his face. His clothes hung loosely around his body, tattered and soiled. Several deep gashes and punctures marred her lord's broad shoulders.

“You two are big jerks, did you know that!” Kagome pushed Inuyasha towards Sesshomaru until they stood face to face. She pointed her finger at the two of them and shouted, “Sit!”

Inuyasha toppled forward, crushing Sesshomaru under his weight. The half-demon grunted and whined, “Kagome! What the fuck did you do that for?”

Sesshomaru snarled, “Get off of me, you big oaf.”

“I can't, stupid. The fucking beads have to wear off. And they call me dense.” Inuyasha's cheek rested against Sesshomaru's battered shoulder.

Kagome clenched her hands to her sides. “Sit!” Both dog demon brothers grunted as the spell pushed them further into the ground. “You bakas! You had Rin worried sick, Sesshomaru. I have spent the past twenty minutes looking for the two of you. Do you have any idea how upset Rin is, you jerk? I had to beg her to come with me when that storm hit. She didn't want to make you angry. Just what did you say to Rin to make her think you hate her? It had better be good, mister.” Kagome glared at them. “Sit!”

The two brothers grunted as the beads glowed again, crushing them into the ground. Inuyasha groaned. “Kagome! Stop!”

“What is the matter with you two! Can't you have a civil conversation just once! Why must it always degenerate into a fight of some sort! You two are utterly filthy, did you know that!” She scowled at them and jabbed her finger in their direction. “Sit!” Clenching her hands at her sides, she stomped closer and glared down at them. “You two look like you should be called pig demons and not dog demons. What were you doing all this time? You had a fist fight, didn't you.”

Inuyasha whined, “Kagome---”

“Sit!” Kagome turned her back. “I don't want to know. Sesshomaru, you better apologize to Rin. That poor girl is so hurt.”

Rin bit her lip. Guilt washed over her as she watched Kagome scold her lord. Sesshomaru hadn't said anything in particular; it wasn't necessary. Rin could read his expressions. She could see in his eyes the disappointment and worry. She was about to step out from behind the tree when Sesshomaru said, “Cease that command, miko. This Sesshomaru is not angry with Rin. It serves no purpose for she has done nothing wrong. She has only done as expected to learn her new powers. I cannot fault her for something she cannot control and I cannot condone leaving her untrained.”

“Powers?” Kagome blinked, her head cocked to one side. “What powers? What are you talking about?”

Inuyasha rolled onto his back, freeing Sesshomaru. The half-demon sat up. He brushed a hand over his shoulder, knocking dried mud off his haori. “Yeah, the pup is a sorceress.”

Kagome's lip drew into a pout as she crossed her arms. “Okay. So why does she think you hate her?”

Sesshomaru sat up and Rin watched in fascination as her lord glared in Kagome's direction. Dark circles ringed his eyes and scratches flawed his face. He said, “Rin feels that she has disappointed this Sesshomaru after the fight with Naraku's demon. She received something without my permission, something she must have as surely as Inuyasha needs Tetsusaiga. There is nothing further to state about the situation. Rin shall learn how to use her power. Whether it pleases me or not is of no concern. Her safety is.”

Kagome's brow furrowed and she looked from Inuyasha to Sesshomaru. “I see. And you're just telling me now? You knew and didn't tell me, Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha rubbed his torn ear, staring at the ground. “Kagome, I was going to tell you, honestly. I just found out a little bit ago.” He stuck his lower lip out in a pout. “You won't sit me again, will you?”

Kagome shook her head. “No. I won't 'it you.” She sighed. “Alright, now that I know what's going on, would you two mind telling me exactly why you look like you went through a paper shredder?”

Inuyasha cocked his head to one side and Sesshomaru scowled. The two brothers asked simultaneously, “Paper shredder? What's that?”

Kagome put her hands over her face, peeking around her fingers. “Never mind what it is. What matters is that you two obviously fought. Why?” Kagome glared at them. “And the reason had better be a good one.”

Inuyasha smirked sheepishly. “Well, you see, Kagome, I found the jackass standing in this clearing staring at the sky and----”

“----then the half-breed decided to punch me in the jaw,” Sesshomaru continued.

“---and from there things went down hill,” Inuyasha finished. He looked down at the ground, his ears drooped. “I guess it got out of hand.”

“I see. So you decided not to act like a responsible adult. You could have asked your brother what he was doing. But oh no, you decided that you should deck him, instead. Inuyasha! Sit!” Her hands clenched into fists and she placed them to her hips. “What is the matter with you! When will you two grow up! It figures, Inuyasha, that you started the fight.”

Inuyasha careened forward into the dirt, groaning in pain. “Kagome---”

Kagome sighed. “What ever will I do with you, my hanyou?” She stepped closer to the two of them. “And Sesshomaru, how could you let it get so out of hand? You're the more mature one. At least I thought you were. Sheesh. I can't let you two out of my sight.”

Sesshomaru frowned. “This Sesshomaru had to defend his honor from the half-breed's slander.”

Kagome rolled her eyes and threw her hands up into the air. “Men!”

Rin noticed that Inuyasha sat up once the spell wore off. He glanced towards her lord, a wicked grin on his lips. He grabbed a fist full of mud in his hand and hurled it towards Kagome. The mud splashed across the front of her dress. He said, “I think someone's too clean, here, don't you think?”

Rin gasped when she saw Sesshomaru nod and toss his own fistful of mud at the priestess. He said, “This Sesshomaru agrees with you, half-breed.”

Kagome's eyes went wide and she brushed her hands across the front of her dress. “You'll pay for that, you two. You're both jerks, did you know that!” Kagome bent down and picked up two fistfuls of mud, tossing them at the brothers. “You want to fight dirty, then fine. I can fight dirty, too.” Kagome inhaled deeply and clenched her fists to her sides.

The hanyou's eyes went wide and he lunged at Kagome, gripping her around the waist. “Oh no you don't! Don't you say sit!” He twirled around in a circle before throwing her into the muddy crater the brothers had formed. He laughed. “Oi, wench. Don't get in over your head.”

Rin hid a smile behind a hand as she watched them fight in the mud. Inuyasha smeared mud into Kagome's hair while her lord, much to the little girl's surprise, tossed some at the hanyou. A small laugh tore from her throat and before she realized what had happened, her lord had turned his gaze towards her hiding spot. His golden eyes narrowed and a sinister smile crossed his face. Rin shrunk behind the tree, hiding herself from view. It was too late, her lord had spotted her and she knew he would be displeased with her yet again. “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama. I know it is wrong of me to eavesdrop. I won't do it again. I promise.”

A hot breath brushed her ear and she heard a deep chuckle. Turning her head slightly, Rin saw from the corner of her eye her lord behind her. A small smile crossed Sesshomaru's lips. He wrapped his arm around her, pulling her to his chest. Sesshomaru whispered, “You're right, Rin. Eavesdropping is wrong and for that this Sesshomaru shall punish you.” He dragged her towards Inuyasha and Kagome.

Rin's eyes went wide when she realized what her lord had intended. In the past when he had disciplined her he had used other methods, such as denying something she desired. This new punishment did not make sense. She felt Sesshomaru let go, pushing her into the mud. Glancing up at her lord, she saw the flicker of mischief in his gold eyes. “Sesshomaru-sama?”

Inuyasha shouted, “Alright, a new victim!” He hurled mud at Rin and it spattered across the front of her dress.

Rin gasped, looking down at her dress. She raised her eyes to look at her lord, apologetic for allowing her outfit to be sullied. Rin desperately wiped at the mud, trying to remove it from the bodice of her dress. “I'm sorry, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Kagome tossed mud at Inuyasha. “You jerk! Now you've gotten Rin's nice, new dress all dirty. You baka!”

“Hey!” Inuyasha flinched, throwing more mud at Kagome. “I'm not the one who pushed her into the mud! Tell the jackass that!”

Kagome turned her glare towards Sesshomaru. “You big meanie! Why did you do that to Rin. That's not very nice.” She tossed more mud at Sesshomaru and it caked into his hair. “That's what you get for being such a jerk.”

Sesshomaru ran his hand through his hair, pulling mud from it. He narrowed his eyes, turning towards the miko. A malevolent smile crossed his lips. “Miko, I suggest you not challenge your superior.” He sat back down into the muck, hurling a fistful at Kagome.

Unsure of what to do, Rin watched as the three adults threw mud simultaneously at one another. She backed away as the hanyou lunged past her, pinning Sesshomaru to the mud. Inuyasha shouted, “Get him, Kagome! You show him who's superior!”

Kagome grinned wide and smeared some mud over Sesshomaru's face. She said, “Why are you such a jerk! It must run in the family.”

Inuyasha growled, letting Sesshomaru up. He turned, and pounced on Kagome, “Hey!” He rubbed mud on Kagome's cheek. “What do you mean by that? Sesshomaru's the jerk, not me.”

Rin looked down at the ground, clasping her hands in front of her chest. She bit her lip, uncertain of why all three adults were acting this way. Rin's eyes went wide when she saw Sesshomaru lunge for Inuyasha, pulling him into a head lock. He taunted, “Now who has who in a head lock, little brother?”

Kagome giggled, throwing mud at the two brothers. “You deserved that for being so mean to your brother, Inuyasha.”

Inuyasha struggled against Sesshomaru's grip, twisting around like a snake. He jabbed his elbow backwards into the Demon Lord's chest. “Let go you bastard!” Managing to break free, Inuyasha hurled mud directly into Sesshomaru's face. He laughed. “So much for your head lock, huh?”

Sesshomaru rubbed his eyes with his hand, wiping the mud away. He shook it off his fingers. “Insolent half-breed.”

“Arrogant ass.” Inuyasha hurled more mud at his brother.

Sesshomaru picked up more mud, flinging it at Inuyasha. “Stupid baka.”

Kagome lunged between the two of them. “Hey! Enough! What kind of example are you two setting for Rin?” She spread her arms, shoving the two brothers away only to smear her muddy palms across both of their faces. “Got you! And you thought you were the only ones who could play dirty, huh?”

Rin started to back away, not wishing to be caught in the cross fire between the three feuding adults. She gasped when she felt herself teeter backwards, only to see Sesshomaru's face above hers. He pinned her to the mud, smirking. A fang peeked out of one corner of his mouth. “Sesshomaru-sama?”

“Rin.” He pushed her further into the mud before smearing his palm over her cheek. “Are you leaving without my permission?”

Rin blinked in confusion. She couldn't understand what had overcome her lord. Why was he pushing her into a mud pool? What was happening to Sesshomaru? She turned her eyes away from her lord. “Please forgive Rin for trying to leave without asking first, Sesshomaru-sama.”

A soft laugh caused Rin to look towards Sesshomaru. He said, “There is nothing to forgive, Rin. You have done nothing wrong.” He brushed his fingers across her rib cage and she couldn't help but squirm against the touch. Sesshomaru leaned closer to her ear and whispered, “However, you shall pay for your petty eavesdropping.”

Rin giggled and squirmed, trying to get away from her lord. “No! Sesshomaru-sama! Don't!” She tossed her head from side to side, trying to back away from him. She laughed as he continued to graze her ribs with his clawed fingers. “That tickles!”

“Did you not try to----tickle this Sesshomaru once?” He smirked at her and a soft amusement filled his gold eyes.

Rin gasped, trying to catch her breath. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths before bursting into a new fit of giggles. Rin twisted, trying to escape. She squealed when she felt cold, slick mud smear across her cheek. She thrashed, trying to break free. Rin opened her eyes, noticing the mirth in her lord's eyes. “Sesshomaru-sama! That was cold! I promise not to eavesdrop anymore!”

Sesshomaru laughed softly by her ear. “I don't think you've learned your lesson quite yet, Rin.” He brushed his fingers across her stomach.

Rin pushed at his hand, trying to move it away from her. She tossed her head from side to side, giggling wildly. Rin kicked up only to have her legs pinned down. “No! It's not fair! It tickles!”

Kagome shouted, “Hey you big meanie! Stop tickling Rin! That's not nice!” She threw mud at her lord and it hit him in the back.

Sesshomaru kept his grip on Rin's legs. He glared over his shoulder at the miko. “Do not issue a challenge you cannot meet, miko.”

Inuyasha threw mud at both Sesshomaru and Rin. “Oh really? How about you take on both of us, jackass. See how you hold up against two against one, huh!”

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes, a small smile on his lips. He leaned down, whispering by Rin's ear, “You will assist this Sesshomaru, won't you Rin?” He tilted his head in Inuyasha and Kagome's direction.

Rin bit her lip. She turned her head and glanced towards Inuyasha and Kagome, noticing they had fistfuls of mud ready to throw. She looked back up into Sesshomaru's dirtied face, noticing a wicked merriment in his gold eyes. She nodded. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama. Rin will help you.”

“Good.” Sesshomaru let go of her legs and turned towards Inuyasha and Kagome. “I shall meet your challenge, little brother.” He tossed muck at Inuyasha, caking it to the half-demon's chest. “However, I shall not be alone.”

“Oh really. You and what army?” Inuyasha chucked some mud at Sesshomaru.

Sesshomaru whispered, “Throw some mud at the half-breed, Rin.”

Rin sat up, looking at the ground. She furrowed her brows, still uncertain as to what had overcome her lord to cause him to behave in this manner. A nudge on her shoulder caused her to look up into Sesshomaru's face. He nodded his encouragement and Rin grabbed a handful of mud. “Are you sure, Sesshomaru-sama?”

“Yes.” He tilted his head in Inuyasha's direction. “Now throw it.”

Rin smiled and tossed her handful at Inuyasha, hitting him square in the forehead. “Like that, Sesshomaru-sama?”

Sesshomaru chuckled softly. “Yes, Rin. Just like that.”

Inuyasha sputtered, his gold eyes wide. “Did you throw that at me, pup?” He scooped up his own handful of mud. “Alright, bring it on, both of you! We'll take you down!”

“Do not be so certain of yourself, half-breed.” Sesshomaru threw more mud at Inuyasha.

Kagome threw two fistfuls of mud at Sesshomaru. It coated the Demon Lord's already filthy armor. She ducked when Sesshomaru retaliated by tossing some mud in her direction. “You missed me!”

Sesshomaru smiled wickedly, a fang peeking at one corner. He said, “Rin, help this Sesshomaru.”

Rin nodded, smiling wide. She scooped up mud, throwing it at Kagome. It hit her on the front of her dress. Rin giggled and threw another handful. “This is fun, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Sesshomaru nodded. “You have underestimated us, miko.” He blurred as more mud sailed through the air. When he stopped moving, he was behind Inuyasha and Kagome. He pushed Inuyasha forward first before smearing his muddy palm over Kagome's face.

Inuyasha slipped in the mud as he struggled to sit up. He grumbled, “That's just not fair! You can't do that! It's cheating!”

“Oh? Is that so? I still do not recall any rules, half-breed.” Sesshomaru nodded his head and Rin smiled.

Rin scooped up more mud and hurled it at the struggling hanyou. She threw more at Kagome as the girl turned to attack her lord. It splashed across the back of Kagome's head. Rin scrambled to stand when Inuyasha finally found his footing. She squealed, “Sesshomaru-sama!”

Her lord threw some mud at Inuyasha's unprotected back, drawing the half-demon's attention. “That's it! This is all out war, fucker!” Inuyasha lunged at Sesshomaru, tackling him to the ground. He shoved a fistful of mud into the Demon Lord's face. “There! Take that!”

Kagome threw mud at the two demon brothers as they brawled on the ground. She laughed before smiling at Rin. “Come on, Rin, let's get them for making us all dirty. They're both jerks!”

Rin glanced down at her dirty dress. Dark, black smears ran across the skirt and bodice. She looked up, watching as Sesshomaru and Inuyasha simultaneously smeared mud in each other's faces. Both brothers growled softly, ignoring the two girls. Rin nodded. “Okay, Kagome-sama.” She threw her own fistful of mud, making certain to hit Inuyasha and not her lord.

Kagome chucked more mud as the two brothers rolled past them. She shouted, “You both are jerks for getting our dresses dirty!” She jumped out of the way as they continued their fight, chasing one another through the small grove.

Inuyasha laughed as he ducked behind a tree. “You're too slow, bastard!” He peeked around the trunk only to get hit in the face with mud. “Hey! You'll pay for that, asshole!”

“You were saying, little brother? I believe I timed things just right.” Sesshomaru smirked, hiding behind his own tree.

Rin giggled as she watched Inuyasha shake himself. Mud sprayed from his hair and clothes, only to splash over Kagome. As the half-demon moved to close in on Sesshomaru's hiding spot, Kagome clenched her fists to her sides. “Inuyasha! Sit boy!”

Inuyasha whined as the beads around his neck glowed pink before he crashed face first into the mud. “Ka-go-me! I thought you were on my side!”

Kagome snorted. “I was until you shook mud all over me. Sit!”

Rin fell back into the mud giggling. She clutched her stomach as she watched the two quarrel. “You two are funny.” Rin scrunched her nose before sneezing loudly. Another tingling in her nose led to another sneeze and when she opened her eyes, Rin looked into the concerned gaze of Sesshomaru. “Sesshomaru-sama?”

Sesshomaru took her into his lap. He stood, holding her to his chest. Rin wrapped her arms around his neck, resting her head onto his shoulder. He stopped at the edge of the grove when Inuyasha asked, “Hey, where you going?”

“Half-breed, we are finished here.” Sesshomaru continued on his way to the camp. Rin yawned before a coughing fit overcame her. Once it subsided, Sesshomaru said, “You shall bathe and retire for the night, Rin.”

Rin sniffed. She said, “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”

Inuyasha joined them, massaging his injured ear. “Everything alright with the pup?”

Rin sneezed again. She said, “Rin is just cold.”

Kagome sighed. “Well, it was fun while it lasted.” She smiled at Rin. “You just need a good, warm bath and a nice blanket, don't you?”

When they reached camp, Poledra stood outside the large tent. She shook her head, a sly smile crossing her lips. “One wonders how all of you got so dirty.”

Polgara emerged from the tent. She said, “Mother, you should go talk to the Old Wolf. He's looking for you.” She gasped when she saw the four of them. “What did you four do? How on earth did you get so dirty!”

Sesshomaru held Rin closer. She snuggled into his shoulder. He asked,” Is there a tub ready for our use?”

Polgara nodded. “Yes. Though I'm afraid you're not the only ones covered in mud.” She pointed in the direction of the tubs. “Go. All four of you need it.”

Poledra sighed. A small pout formed on her lips. “What does he want?”

Polgara shook her head. “Who knows what he wants. All I know is he asked me to come tell you that he wants to talk to you. Father can be very backwards sometimes. I think it has something to do with his age.”

Poledra snorted. She smiled in Rin's direction. “One shall go speak with him.” The wolf-woman turned, heading for a tent on the right side of camp.

Another coughing fit shook Rin's body. She pulled her arms around Sesshomaru's neck tightly. Polgara said, “Oh dear. I'll have a tonic ready for that nasty cough as soon as she's done bathing. We wouldn't want that to become a cold.”

Sesshomaru nodded. He started crossing towards the tub set up. Rin glanced over when she noticed Inuyasha and Kagome following them. Inuyasha yawned. “Oi, don't you go getting sick on us, pup.”

As they approached Rin saw that the monk and spy sat in the tub. Miroku looked up first, his dark eyes wide. He let the soap fall from his hand to splash into the water. “What happened to the four of you?”

“Looks like Karandese fashion is catching on.” The thief snickered as he scrubbed his chest. “They look like they'd fit right in with Kvastan and Maladis from that inn in Rakand, don't you think, my spiritual friend.”

Miroku nodded. “I suppose so. Why don't you join us, Inuyasha, Sesshomaru-sama. The ladies most likely will have their own tub shortly.” A soft splash could be heard as the monk prepared room.

Rin glanced up towards her lord. The amusement and mischief had been replaced by concern and grimness. He looked down at her. “Rin, go with Kagome. Bathe and return to our tent.”

Rin nodded. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” She loosened her grip around his neck, settling to the earth before following Kagome. The miko took her hand and they continued to a separate tub set aside for their use.

“Here, you two. Aunt Pol told me to give you these,” Ce'Nedra said. She held up two dresses, both brown. The tiny queen wrinkled her nose. “Just how did you get so muddy, anyways?”

Kagome laughed and shook her head. “You'll have to ask the boys that.” She took the dresses from Ce'Nedra.

“Oh.” Ce'Nedra sighed. “Men. Figures.” She turned, facing towards camp. “Well, have a nice bath you two.”

Rin yawned as she undid the strings to her dress. She slid out of it before climbing over the side of the tub. The water warmed her chilled skin and she sighed in contentment. Kagome broke the silence and asked, “Rin-chan, are you feeling alright?”

Rin nodded before another coughing fit overcame her. Once it passed, she said, “I'm just tired, Kagome-sama.” She dunked her head under the water, pulling her fingers through her muddy hair. Rin sat up. “Sesshomaru-sama told Rin to bathe and go to bed.”

Kagome smiled. “Alright.” She washed her hair, pulling muck from it. “Did you at least have fun?”

Rin giggled, scrubbing her shoulders. “Yes, Kagome-sama. Inuyasha-sama and Sesshomaru-sama were funny.” The loud screech from a bird drew her attention and she glanced up to see a large raven circling above. Rin watched in fascination, absentmindedly continuing to wash the mud from her skin.

Kagome shivered next to her. “That is an ugly bird. I wonder why it's circling like that.”

Rin felt a soft brush against her mind. She followed the black bird's flight with her eyes. It circled lower, another piercing cry filling the night. A slight tingle filled her body, followed by a tug on her mind. Again the raven cried and much as Rin had understood the birds in the palace gardens of Mal Zeth, she clearly heard it call, “Rin!”

Kagome stood. “You going to be alright by yourself, Rin-chan?”

Rin jumped, pulling her eyes away from the bird overhead. “Yes, Kagome-sama.” She fumbled the soap a moment, washing her face.

“Alright.” She stepped out of the tub. “Your dress is right here. Don't take too much longer.”

Rin nodded. She quickly cleansed the mud from her body, intending to fulfill her lord's request. Silence settled over the tub after Kagome left and she relaxed back into the water, forgetting about the bird above.

It shrieked again, calling her eyes back towards the sky. “Rin!”

Rin bit her lip, unsure as to why this bird called to her. A large hawk dived through the sky, crashing into the raven. Feathers burst in all directions and the raven squawked. The hawk pecked at it again, chasing it towards the north. The hawk returned, circling above. Rin noticed that the wings had blue bands. It disappeared below the tree line. She heard a soft rushing whisper and felt a tingle throughout her body.

The juggler emerged from the trees not long after. “Yer takin' a bath might late, Lady-O. Yer strange pretty boy might start t' worry if you don't hurry back, don't y' know.”

Rin laughed as the acrobat walked on his hands. “You're funny.”

“I'm funny, Lady-O? Tis the finest thin' I've heard come from the mouth of a beauty such as yerself.” he turned over to stand before juggling some colored balls that seemed to come from nowhere. Rin blinked when she thought she saw the dwarf standing in the juggler's place. It flickered and melted back into the acrobat's face. “Best t' hurry there me girl before you turn yerself into a prune.”

Rin washed, wiping the remaining mud from her body. She blushed at the thought of exiting the tub while the entertainer stood near. The juggler laughed and turned around. “Does that help, me girl?”

Rin nodded and scrambled out of the tub. She pulled on her new, clean dress. Unsure of the acrobat's name, she said, “Okay----”

“Master Feldegast, Lady-O.” He winked. “Let me escort you back to yer tent, me girl. Wouldn't want anythin' t' happen t' you.”

Rin giggled and followed Feldegast towards camp. “Thank-you, Feldegast-sama.”

“Feldegast-sama? Yer an odd little girl, don't y' know.” He turned over onto his hands again, walking on them back into camp. “Well, here we are, me girl.”

Rin bowed. “Good night and thank-you, Feldegast-sama.” She turned towards the tent she shared with her lord. When she arrived, she found Sesshomaru standing outside of it, clean and dressed in a new outfit. The dark haired sorceress stood with him, holding a glass. Rin coughed again, her hand going to her mouth.

“There you are, dear.” Polgara smiled. “Before you go to bed, you should drink this. It'll help with that cough.”

Rin stepped closer. She looked towards Sesshomaru, who nodded in her direction. “Okay, Polgara-sama.” She accepted it and wrinkled her nose at the bitter smell. Rin reluctantly drank it, its taste not much better. Once she drained the cup, Rin handed it to the sorceress.

Sesshomaru moved away from the tent flap. “Rin, go inside and rest.”

“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin entered the tent and settled down into the blankets. She stretched out and yawned.

The flap rustled and Sesshomaru entered. He knelt down, pulling the blankets over Rin, tucking them. The Demon Lord settled next to her and pulled Rin to his chest. “Rest, Rin.”

Rin sneezed and hid her face into his chest. “Sorry, Sesshomaru-sama.”

“Do not be sorry.” Sesshomaru threaded his fingers through her hair. “Rest, Rin.”

Rin yawned wide. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” She traced a circle on his shoulder. “I'm sorry I got sick.”

“It is not your fault.” Sesshomaru held her closer. The tent fell quiet briefly. Sesshomaru broke the silence, “This Sesshomaru appreciated your assistance tonight.”

Rin lifted her head up, looking into her lord's eyes. “Really?”

“Yes.”

“It was fun.” Rin smiled at her lord.

A small smile crossed Sesshomaru's face in return. “This Sesshomaru is glad you found it so.” He kissed her forehead.

Rin cast her eyes down. “Rin is still sorry she eavesdropped. It was not right.”

Sesshomaru pulled her closer to his chest. “Do not be sorry.” He paused. “This Sesshomaru enjoyed hearing you laugh tonight. Consider it forgiven.”

She smiled and laughed. “Okay, Sesshomaru-sama. You're welcome.”

Sesshomaru laughed softly, the sound reverberating in Rin's ears. It was warm and deep, a sound that pleased the little girl. He pulled the blankets over the two of them. “Sleep, Rin. It is late. We have a long ride ahead of us tomorrow. You will need your strength.”

Rin snuggled to his chest, her eyes falling closed. The tonic the sorceress had given her made her drowsy and the steady beats of her lord's heart under her ear soothed her. She felt secure and safe in his embrace. The chill from the night subsided in his warmth and she sighed. Rin yawned and said, “Good night, Sesshomaru-sama.”

“Good night, Rin.”