Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Sixty-Two ( Chapter 62 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Note: For news, author notes, and information check out my live journal at http://farawayeyes4.livejournal.com/
 
Chapter Sixty-Two
 
Thick, gray fog obscured much of the road, and the shouts and screams of the battle filled the night. Sesshomaru heard the sorcerers call to one another as they prepared another attempt at breaking the fog bank. The clang of steel on steel resounded in the mist, and the Demon Lord saw that a chain mailed man parried an attack as he fought against another in bright red. They fought to Sesshomaru's left, the man in chain mail slowly being driven back.
 
The hiss of an arrow filled the gloom, piercing the armored man in the neck. He dropped his sword, clutching the shaft sticking out of his throat. He yanked it out, blood spurting from the wound. The man screamed soundlessly, crimson flowing from his mouth. The red-clad man shoved his rapier through the other's chain mail, swiftly killing him.
 
A man shouted a war-cry, charging towards Sesshomaru. He raised a long spear, brandishing it at the Demon Lord. Sesshomaru waited for him to near, his eyes narrowed. He had no tolerance for these humans' impudence. As the raging man drew close, the Demon Lord flicked his wrist, cleanly slicing the man's head off with his whip. He fell dead, his body twitching before becoming limp. Sesshomaru muttered in disgust, “How pathetic.”
 
More arrows sailed through the air, targeting the Demon Lord. He deflected them with his whip, and they fell harmlessly to the ground, snapped in half. Another string of arrows arced across the murk, heading straight for Rin. Retracting his whip, Sesshomaru pulled the little girl to his chest. He turned his back and felt an arrow sink deep into his shoulder. The rest landed harmlessly in the dirt. Sesshomaru gritted his teeth together, clutching Rin tightly in his arm. His eyes narrowed and he growled low in his throat.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama, you're hurt,” Rin whispered softly as she reached up to touch the arrow embedded into his left shoulder.
 
“Remain still, Rin,” Sesshomaru commanded firmly.
 
The little girl dropped her arm, casting her eyes to the ground. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
The Demon Lord could hear more arrows and he pinned Rin to the ground, shielding her with his body. He waited for the arrows to strike him, but as Sesshomaru glanced over his shoulder, he saw the wolf-woman flick her wrist, and bounce them back against an invisible barrier. Then they fell innocuously to the ground. Their eyes locked momentarily, Poledra's gold determined and furious. She nodded, moving her hand as she snapped another arrow in half mid-flight.
 
A hideous bellow crashed against Sesshomaru's ears and he saw a demon charge Kagome. She notched an arrow into her bow, leveling it at the fearsome beast. The miko fired it into the murk, and it streaked pink as it sailed towards its target. The arrow struck the beast in the chest, causing it to howl in agony. Shortly afterwards, it flickered and disintegrated into dust. Kagome pumped her fist in the air, congratulating herself, “Got him!”
 
Crashing to the girl's left was a massive demon, its fangs dripping foam as it charged towards Kagome's unprotected back. Sesshomaru slowly sat up, easing Tokijin away from his side. He whispered to Rin, “Stay down.”
 
“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin ducked on the ground close to him, her arms over her head for protection.
 
The Demon Lord stood, eying the approaching demon. It focused solely on the unsuspecting miko as she searched the fog for other attackers. As it neared to strike Kagome, Sesshomaru hurled his blade at the beast, Tokijin piercing it in the center of its scaly chest. It screamed, black blood pouring from its mouth. Kagome turned around, staring in shock at the demon as it toppled forward, landing at her feet. It reached up, wrapping one massive, clawed hand about her ankle. She cried out, “Get it off of me!” Kagome notched another arrow in her bow. Before she could shoot, it flickered, disappearing in a puff of smoke. Kagome shook her foot, a disgusted frown on her face. “That was gross!”
 
The ground shook violently as a massive explosion detonated in the distance. Sesshomaru dropped down, wrapping his arm around Rin as he covered her with his body. Kagome yelped, falling back to land on her bottom, her arrows spilling out of her quiver. Poledra stood, her unblinking gold eyes staring towards the source of the blast. As the night sky ignited in blue fire, they turned to stare in awe. Sesshomaru's eyes went wide as he recognized the track of the Wind Scar.
 
Kagome gasped and asked softly, “What is that? It's amazing.”
 
The wolf-woman said, her voice soft, “How remarkable.”
 
It seemed that whatever effect the Godslayer's sword had on Tetsusaiga, after Inuyasha had crossed swords with him, remained. Unlike the last time the half-demon had employed this enhanced attack, this time the Wind Scar grew, flaring out in a much larger path. It streaked rapidly, scorching the ground in its wake. The blast sent tremors through the clearing, and Rin shrank herself against the Demon Lord. He tightened his grip, pulling her closer, his eyes never leaving the immense detonation in front of him. Another explosion could be heard as the Wind Scar crashed into its target, the sky blazing a radiant sapphire.
 
Once it ebbed and faded, the road become dark again. The fog churned and broke, clearing to reveal the soft moonlight. The men clad in crude furs howled in terror, fleeing to the east, the remaining demons not far behind. Those in armor stared in shock, scattering soon after. Several dropped their weapons and screamed in panic as they ran into the trees aimlessly. It seemed that their attackers had lost all resolve to continue the battle after witnessing the strengthened Wind Scar.
 
This was just as well for Sesshomaru. He had grown tired of its tediousness. The Demon Lord sat up, gripping the shaft of the arrow stuck in his shoulder. With a soft grunt, he yanked it free, tossing it nonchalantly to the ground. Blood trickled from the injury, seeping into his empty sleeve. Sesshomaru snorted disdainfully as the wound clotted quickly. Such a petty weapon had no effect on him.
 
Rin sat up, picking up the arrow that had pierced Sesshomaru's back. She looked down, rubbing the feathers. “Rin's sorry that you got hurt, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru's brow furrowed and he frowned. “Do not be sorry, Rin. It is not your fault.”
 
Rin bit her lip. “You wouldn't have gotten hurt if it hadn't been for Rin.”
 
“Enough, Rin. It is not your fault.” Sesshomaru eased the arrow away from the little girl, and snapped it in half, throwing it away. “Do not blame yourself for those human's insolence.”
 
Poledra nodded. “Your pack-leader is right. It is custom for him to protect you, and those humans were a threat. They carry the blame alone.”
 
Rin nodded, looking down. She leaned her head onto Sesshomaru shoulder, whispering, “Okay, Sesshomaru-sama, Poledra-sama. Rin won't blame herself.”
 
Sesshomaru felt a soft touch brush against his mind and heard Rin's voice whisper, “Rin's still sorry they hurt you.”
 
The Demon Lord pulled her to his chest. “Your safety is this Sesshomaru's only concern.”
 
Inuyasha emerged from the remaining trees in the west, a slight swagger in his step. He had a huge grin on his face, the blue Tetsusaiga on one shoulder. The fox kit rode on his other, his green eyes wide with astonishment. Inuyasha glanced around the road, his gold eyes searching. He said, “Oi, there she is, runt.”
 
The little fox leapt down, scampering across the ground to the miko. He crashed into her, crying out breathlessly, “Did you see what father just did? It was so neat! I've never seen anything like it.”
 
Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow. So the kit had finally acknowledged what had been obvious as soon as Inuyasha's pack had been reunited? The Demon Lord wondered how long it would take for the little boy to understand that Inuyasha, as his pack-leader, had taken on the role of his father. The way the half-breed had treated the boy all along proved it. Sesshomaru was grateful that the fox kit had come to realize the same thing. He had grown frustrated with the incessant whining of the boy, and had planned to tell Inuyasha that the situation had to be remedied and soon. It seemed he would not have to do this now that the kit accepted Inuyasha as his father.
 
Kagome sat up, shaking her head. She said, “It was certainly spectacular.” She looked over towards Inuyasha, an awed expression on her face. “Just what did he do, Shippo?”
 
Issuing from the trees, the old man entered the road. Weariness settled over his features, making him appear haggard. He said, “I'd like to know what he did, too. It seemed to have enough to destroy the fog and chase away demons. Most impressive, indeed.”
 
Shippo's tail twitched frantically underneath his coat. He jumped up and down in front of Kagome, his arms making wild gestures. The little boy said, his words rushing together in excitement, “He used the Sapphire Wind Scar. Father made his Tetsusaiga this deep blue, and then he used it. It's the neatest thing I've ever seen!”
 
“I see.” Belgarath glanced towards the hanyou, his blue eyes perplexed. “I must say, I've never seen anything like it, except for Garion's sword, that is.”
 
Kagome scooped Shippo up, and ran to her mate. The little boy launched himself onto Inuyasha's shoulder, and the miko hugged the hanyou around the waist. She buried her face into his chest. “I'm just glad that you're both safe.”
 
“Feh.” Inuyasha blushed, wrapping his free arm about Kagome. “As if I'd let anything hurt me or the runt.”
 
“Mind answering a question, Inuyasha?” The old sorcerer asked, pacing with his hands clasped behind his back. “How did you know that there were Chandim controlling that fog to our west?”
 
Inuyasha's grin slid into a tight frown and his ears flattened to his head. The half-demon stared down at the ground, his eyes distant. He shifted on his feet and bit his lip, pausing in his response. Not meeting the sorcerer's gaze, Inuyasha said, “I heard them chanting like in that other clearing. Once I knew what direction to aim, I went ahead and used Tetsusaiga.” Inuyasha glared at Belgarath. “Got a problem with that, Old Man?”
 
“No, not at all,” the sorcerer replied, his expression skeptical. It surprised Sesshomaru that the old man hadn't called the half-breed on his lie. The Demon Lord knew that Inuyasha hadn't heard these chants because he himself had not, and if he had, he had most likely dismissed them as part of the battle. Belgarath sighed. “I have no problem with what you did.”
 
Polgara joined her father, her face pale and taut. The sorceress arched an eyebrow, her arms crossed. “Well, I must say whatever effect the Orb has on your sword, Inuyasha, it certainly came in handy, that's for sure. It certainly put a stop to the Chandim.”
 
“Speaking of them, I just want some clarification. So what you're telling me is that you heard the Chandim, and that's how you knew where to strike?” Belgarath asked, looking at the hanyou dubiously. “It just intrigues me, that's all.”
 
Sesshomaru eased his arm around Rin, pulling her close. She wrapped her arms around him, resting her head on his chest. Rin whispered, “Rin's cold, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
The Demon Lord pulled his fur around the little girl as he watched Inuyasha's reaction. He was curious to see how his brother would reply. Would he tell the truth or another lie? The half-demon fidgeted, staring down at the ground. His grip tightened on Kagome and a sneer crossed his face. Lifting his head, Inuyasha glared at the old man. “Yeah, that's what happened. You calling me a liar?”
 
“Alright, I believe you. There's no need to get defensive.” Belgarath backed down, much to Sesshomaru's surprise. He couldn't understand why the sorcerer hadn't called his brother on his obvious falsehood. The old man said, “We better get a move on. That attack of yours will be sure to draw attention.”
 
The others filed onto the road, and leading the horses was Durnik. The Godslayer and his mate wearily led a few others, while the monk and thief carried packs. The entertainer juggled some colored balls. He whistled. “'Tis an excitin' night to travel, don't y' know? Me dog-eared master, yer sword be mighty formidable indeed.”
 
Zakath cried out in the gloom, “Stupid horse!” The emperor and blonde woman pushed on the rump of the resistant horse. “Come on, already! Move!”
 
The demon slayer tugged on the reins, trying to get the defiant animal to move. It snorted, shaking its head to try and free itself from her grip. She groaned in frustration. “Come on, you stupid beast! Don't just stand there!”
 
Durnik sighed, his head down. “We lost a couple of pack-horses, and Kagome's, of course.”
 
“There's nothing we can do about that. We'll have to get going,” Belgarath said. He shook his head. “We're going to ride for a good half an hour and then set up camp. Let's go.”
 
Sesshomaru stood, holding Rin close. He whispered, “You shall ride with this Sesshomaru, Rin.”
 
“Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.” She hugged him tight, smiling wide up at him. “Rin would like that very much.”
 
The group assembled the horses and shifted the packs to the remaining pack horses. Once that was completed, they prepared to ride. Sesshomaru eased Rin onto the horse, carefully mounting it behind her. His arm rested around her waist, his hand on her stomach, steadying her. The little girl gripped the reins, leading their horse to follow the others onto the road.
 
Breaking into a brisk trot, they journeyed northward, leaving the battle behind. They turned onto an obscure road, passing more abandoned farmsteads and torched villages. A few despondent farmers rooted in the remains of their destroyed homes, searching for anything salvageable. The road became choked over with brush and weeds and it finally gave way to grass and small thickets. They descended into a valley where the old sorcerer raised his hand, halting their progression.
 
“We will stop here for the night. Garion, you and I will scout the area and stand guard.”
 
Sesshomaru slid out of the saddle, pulling Rin to the ground. He held her against his side, scanning the trees for any threats. The little girl drew his attention as she yawned wide, rubbing an eye. “Rin's tired, Sesshomaru-sama.” A soft touch brushed the Demon Lord's mind, and the little girl whispered, “Thank-you for letting me ride with you, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
You're welcome, Rin,” Sesshomaru replied, giving her shoulder a little squeeze.
 
“Let's set up the tents and get some rest. The Old Wolf will handle things for now,” Polgara said, pulling a tent from one of the pack-horses. “The sooner we set up camp, the sooner we'll sleep.”
 
Kagome waved at them, smiling. She said, “Lady Polgara told me that we can wash up a little before we go to bed. She wants me to set up some basins. Why don't you let Sesshomaru-sama and the others handle setting up camp while you help me with that, okay, Rin?”
 
Rin looked up at Sesshomaru, her eyes questioning. “Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “Go with her. Wash and then retire for the night.”
 
“Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.” She stood on her toes, kissing his cheek. “Rin won't take long.”
 
Sesshomaru rubbed her shoulder, and said, “Go with Kagome.” Replying to her silent comment, he whispered, “This Sesshomaru will be waiting.”
 
Kagome took Rin's hand. “Alright, let's go then, Rin.” She smiled at the little girl and led her towards the center of the forming camp. Glancing over one shoulder, the miko said, “I'll have Rin returned to you in about ten, fifteen minutes, alright?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded, pulling a tent from one pack-horse. The Demon Lord watched their retreating backs, a soft smile crossing his face as Rin glanced at him over her shoulder. She gave a small wave, flashing him a dimpled smile. Shaking his head, Sesshomaru looked around the small meadow, searching for a good spot to pitch their tent.
 
Setting his tent down on the edge of camp, the Demon Lord unrolled it, separating the tangled rope, large and small stakes, and poles. He drove a large stake into the ground, looping the one free rope around it so to keep track of it. Sesshomaru sighed and sat down into the grass. He shook the jumbled mess of rope and began untangling it. The Demon Lord threaded one end through the knot, freeing it. He slipped a claw underneath another strand, pulling upwards. It drew the loose end back into the snarl instead, and Sesshomaru turned the mass of rope over, trying to locate another free end.
 
A soft step reached his ears, and glancing over his shoulder, the Demon Lord saw petite, bare feet. Looking up, Sesshomaru's gold eyes connected with Poledra's. She smiled softly, titling her head. “One wonders how long that will take.”
 
Snorting, Sesshomaru slackened a smaller knot in the tangle only to have another portion of the rope snarl. Pinning the knotted heap down with one foot, the Demon Lord tugged firmly on an end. This caused the snarl to tighten even further. Sighing softly, Sesshomaru asked, “Is there something you wished to discuss with this Sesshomaru?”
 
“One came to help you.” The wolf-woman knelt down next to him, driving a stake into the ground.
 
Arching an eyebrow, Sesshomaru watched as her nimble fingers secured the single free rope around the stake he had sunk into the earth. He turned his attention back to the knotted rope, struggling to untangle it. The Demon Lord pulled on several strands, hoping to loosen it. He withdrew his foot, only to discover that the ropes had tangled around it. He bent over, sliding one rope through a knot as he tried to extract his foot. Frustrated, Sesshomaru shook his foot slightly, hoping that it would loosen the snarl.
 
Poledra shook her head, a slight smile crossing her face. She pushed the final stake into the ground, then began setting up the poles. The wolf-woman stabbed the moist earth with one pole, twisting until it stood straight. She walked a space of four feet, then repeated the process until all four were set up in a square. Each pole stood diagonal to its proper stake. Poledra tied the one free rope to the pole, tugging to make sure it was taut between the stake and pole. The wolf-woman wrinkled her nose and muttered, “One wonders why the man-things fuss so much with making shelter when caves make suitable dens.”
 
Sesshomaru managed to free his foot and found the snarl much easier to untangle now that it had loosened. He threaded one end through the knot, separating one rope from the tangle. He then tossed it at a stake and untwisted the other two, finally unraveling the mess. Standing, the Demon Lord brushed his pants off. He started to grab a rope to tether to a pole when Poledra waved him back. Shaking his head, Sesshomaru snorted. “This Sesshomaru is fully capable.”
 
“One knows this.” She finished tying the ropes tightly.
 
They stretched the gray cloth out, next, pulling it over the poles to form a tent. Then they secured it by driving the smaller stakes through the loops at the bottom of the fabric. Sesshomaru twisted the last one into the ground, tugging on it a little to make sure it remained fastened. Once satisfied, he set Rin's pack inside and dropped the flap. Turning, the Demon Lord nodded towards the tawny-haired woman. “Is there anything else you wished to see this Sesshomaru about?”
 
The wolf-woman nodded. “I am hoping to have another lesson with Rin, soon. She learns quickly and is mastering what I have taught her thus far. We are nearing much more difficult skills, but I believe that she is quite ready for them.”
 
“Such as?” Sesshomaru asked, a small frown crossing his face.
 
“Putting other's minds to sleep, how to make others ignore her presence, transmutation, and illusion for instance,” Poledra stated. “Several of these will be necessary for her to fully master her Will. I feel that she has progressed enough at this point to learn them. Rin uses her Will subtlety, much more so than anyone I've ever known. She certainly is the quietest as well, which is something that most struggle to master for several years. These skills rely on that talent and I'd like to encourage it.”
 
“I see.” The Demon Lord's brows furrowed and he pursed his lips. “And when do you plan on holding her next lesson?”
 
“One would like to perhaps have a lesson with Rin the day after tomorrow.” Poledra frowned. “She should rest after tonight. Rin did well in tonight's battle, but these next skills are strenuous. She must be well rested to learn them.”
 
“Understood. You wish to hold her next lesson the day after tomorrow, then. Morning or afternoon?”
 
“That will depend upon when the Old Wolf decides to make camp or travel. He wishes to reach Ashaba very soon and Venna is not his favorite place.” Poledra sighed. “I shall let you know as soon as possible when I intend to hold Rin's next lesson. Is this satisfactory?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “Yes. This Sesshomaru understands.”
 
“Good.” Tilting her head, the wolf-woman said, “He is waiting. Tell Rin I am proud of her progress and that we will have her next lesson soon.”
 
“I will.” Sesshomaru watched as she crossed camp to sit down next to her daughter by the fire. The wolf-woman leaned in, whispering something to Polgara and then stood, disappearing behind another tent. The Demon Lord sighed. He whispered, “So Rin is quiet when she uses her Will. That does not surprise this Sesshomaru.”
 
A soft snort drew his attention, and Sesshomaru turned to see Inuyasha, his arms crossed. A tight frown rested on the hanyou's face, his ears down. “What the fuck was that all about? Just what did that creepy wolf-woman want, anyway?”
 
“To talk to this Sesshomaru about Rin's lessons,” Sesshomaru replied curtly. “The real question is, half-breed, why are you over here?”
 
Inuyasha pinned his ears to his head and rolled his eyes. He shook his head and sighed in exasperation. “Will you quit being such an ass already? You've been so touchy all night.”
 
“You never answered my question, half-breed. Shouldn't you be setting up your tent for you and your mate?” Sesshomaru glared at him, narrowing his eyes.
 
“Already up.” Inuyasha pointed towards his tent. He frowned, his brows furrowed in confusion. “You said the wolf-woman talked to you about Rin's lessons.”
 
“That is what this Sesshomaru said.” He snorted. “You have not answered my question. Why are you over here, half-breed?”
 
“Now you know how it feels to not have your question answered, jackass.” Inuyasha grinned. He shook his head, glancing towards the ground. His ears drooped and the hanyou bit his lip, a fang peeking at one corner. “I came to ask you about Rin's lessons, actually.”
 
“They are none of your concern.”
 
“Quit with the bullshit, Sesshomaru. You know that's not true.” Inuyasha stared the Demon Lord down. “I saw what Rin did tonight with that whip she has. So what did she say about Rin's lessons?”
 
“That is between the wolf-woman, Rin, and myself. It does not have anything to do with you.” Sesshomaru returned the stare, baring his fangs. “Do not pry into this Sesshomaru's private affairs, half-breed.”
 
“You're so full of shit, Sesshomaru. Just tell me already.” Inuyasha jutted his chin out, never breaking eye contact.
 
“That is this Sesshomaru's concern alone.” Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes, glaring at the defiant hanyou. “Do not make this Sesshomaru repeat himself.”
 
“Haven't we had this conversation before?” Inuyasha snorted. “I'm not going anywhere until you answer my question. Now, I'm going to say this slowly so you can understand. What---did---the---fucking---wolf---wench---say---about---the---pup's---les sons?”
 
“Impertinent half-breed.” Sesshomaru growled low in his throat. “Do not think you have the right to demand anything from this Sesshomaru.”
 
“Fuck you.” Inuyasha stepped closer. “I think the last time you refused to answer my questions we had a fist fight---one that I won, if you'll recall. Now, either we do this the easy way, or we do this the hard way.”
 
“Cease prying into private matters that do not concern you whatsoever, half-breed.” Sesshomaru turned his back on his brother. “There is nothing for us to discuss.”
 
“Like hell there isn't, asshole.” Inuyasha gripped the Demon Lord's shoulder. “Rin is my concern, too. She's been one since we arrived in that valley. Quit bullshitting and just tell me.”
 
Sesshomaru growled, pulling Inuyasha's hand off of his shoulder. He turned and faced the hanyou, baring his fangs. His eyes narrowed in fury and he held up his hand, poison tinging his finger tips. “Rin is my concern and my concern alone. You would do well to remember that, half-breed. Now leave me.”
 
Inuyasha stepped back, his eyes wide and his ears pinned to his head. “Shit. Sesshomaru, just what has gotten into you tonight? You've been so worked up. There's something you're not telling me, I just know it.”
 
“This Sesshomaru's private business is his own. Do not interfere, half-breed.”
 
“Wait a minute. Forget the lessons for a minute. This has something to do with that boy, doesn't it? The one Kagome told me about, from that store.” Inuyasha frowned, and his ears twitched. “Did he do something to Rin? Is that why you're so upset?”
 
This Sesshomaru tires of this conversation, half-breed.” The Demon Lord turned his back on the half-breed, preparing to enter his tent. “We have nothing left to discuss.”
 
“I struck a nerve, didn't I? I bet he tried to hurt the pup somehow.” Inuyasha snorted. “No wonder you were so ruthless in that battle tonight. You practically split in half anyone who came within two feet of you and Rin.”
 
Sesshomaru glared at Inuyasha from over his shoulder. “This Sesshomaru finds it curious that you should mention the battle.” He turned around, staring at the hanyou. “I have a few questions of my own about that.”
 
Inuyasha fidgeted, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. He crossed and uncrossed his arms, his ears flattened tightly to his head. The half-breed scowled and snapped back, “Hey, you can't go changing the subject like that, fucker. Answer my questions first. What did that boy do to Rin and why did you rip apart as many humans as you could tonight?”
 
“Answer mine and perhaps I'll reconsider answering yours,” Sesshomaru retorted. “After you used Tetsusaiga's newest attack and the battle ended, why did you lie to the old sorcerer? You didn't hear any chants, not the way you have claimed to.”
 
Inuyasha bit his lip, casting his eyes to the ground. “I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I didn't lie about anything, asshole. Now answer my questions.”
 
“You are lying right now. You forget, I can smell it,” Sesshomaru replied, and wrinkled his nose at the stench of deceit in his brother's scent. “Tell me, half-breed, why are you lying?”
 
“Fuck-off. I heard what I heard and took care of things.” Inuyasha crossed his arms, jutting his chin up as he looked away. “If you don't want to believe me, that's your problem, jackass.”
 
The sound of a throat clearing drew both brothers' attention. “Not to interrupt, but I think someone's ready for bed.”
 
Sesshomaru glanced over his shoulder at Kagome. Next to her stood Rin. She yawned wide, rubbing bleary eyes. Rin's soft whisper caressed his mind, “Rin told you she wouldn't take very long.” The little girl said aloud, “Rin's very tired, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Ignoring his brother and the miko, Sesshomaru took Rin's hand, leading her towards the tent. “And I told you that I would be waiting, did I not?” He said, “Go inside and rest, Rin.”
 
“Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin ducked into the tent, letting the flap fall behind her.
 
“Come on, Inuyasha. We need some rest, too.” Kagome tugged on the hanyou's arm. “Tomorrow is another day.”
 
“This isn't finished, asshole.” Inuyasha glared at the Demon Lord, before turning to follow his mate. He bared his fangs and said, “I'll get those answers, even if I have to beat them out of you.”
 
Sesshomaru snorted. “As will I.”
 
“Now, Inuyasha. I'm tired, too.” Kagome yawned and pulled on the hanyou's sleeve. “It's been a long night. Let's go to bed already. You can pester your brother later.”
 
“Feh.” Inuyasha snorted. “Fine. We'll go already, but only because the pup needs her rest.”
 
The Demon Lord watched the pair as they crossed to their tent. Inuyasha scowled at Sesshomaru over his shoulder, baring his fangs. Kagome leaned her head onto the hanyou's shoulder, her arm going around his waist. The half-breed eased his arm around hers, pulling his mate close. Kagome chided, “You know, you shouldn't antagonize your brother like that.”
 
“Feh. He started it by not answering some simple questions,” Inuyasha scoffed. “It's not my fault that he's such a jackass all the time.”
 
“But still, Inuyasha---” Kagome stopped, standing stiff. She gasped, whispering, “Inuyasha, I felt it.”
 
The half-breed asked, concern in his voice, “What is it, Kagome? Felt what?”
 
“I sensed sacred jewel shards. Two of them, to our east, less than half a day away. They're heading towards us, too.”
 
Sesshomaru inwardly groaned. He did not look forward to another confrontation concerning jewel shards, especially after the last encounter. He narrowed his eyes as he saw his brother and the miko head towards Polgara. Sesshomaru had a feeling that who ever possessed these jewel shards had to be another trap set by Naraku. The prospect of triggering it displeased the Demon Lord. They would have to if they intended on retrieving them.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama?” Rin poked her head out, squinting at him. She yawned wide, rubbing an eye.
 
“You should be resting, Rin,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
“Rin can't get comfortable.”
 
Sesshomaru shook his head, noting that the half-breed, miko, and sorceress had disappeared, most likely to locate the old man. He faced Rin, whispering, “Go back in the tent.”
 
“Okay, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin dropped the flap.
 
Sesshomaru shook his head, sighing. There was not much he could do about the jewel shards at the moment. He would leave that to his brother and the miko to handle. He entered the tent, and unstrapped his swords, placing them next to Rin's pack. The Demon Lord set his fur down into a corner to serve as a pillow. He sat down, and stretched out, relaxing against it with a small sigh. Rin climbed into his lap, resting her head onto his shoulder. She snuggled closer and Sesshomaru pulled the blanket over them, his arm wrapping around her petite frame. “Rest, Rin. The wolf-woman said that you have much to do in the coming days.”
 
“Yes, Sesshomaru-sama. Poledra-sama told me to get lots of rest.” The little girl rubbed an eye and yawned. Rin kissed his cheek. “Rin's comfortable now, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
“I see.” Sesshomaru took a deep breath, and his eyes fell shut as he inhaled Rin's soothing, light floral scent. “This Sesshomaru is pleased that you are comfortable.”
 
“Poledra-sama said that I would need lots of rest to learn my next skills.” Rin shifted her head, nuzzling her nose under Sesshomaru's chin. “She said that Rin was ready, even though these skills are harder.”
 
“That is what the wolf-woman has told this Sesshomaru.” He furrowed his brows. “This Sesshomaru is curious, though.”
 
“About what, Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
“When did she tell you of these next lessons?”
 
“During the battle.” Rin pulled the blanket more around herself. “She talked to Rin like this.”
 
I see.” Sesshomaru sighed softly. “Did she tell you anything else?”
 
Poledra-sama told me that I used my Will well, that's why she said I was ready to learn more new skills.” Rin slid her arms around Sesshomaru's shoulders. “She told me that I would find out more about them later.”
 
I find it pleasing that you have learned so well thus far.” Sesshomaru threaded his fingers through her soft hair. “You should rest now.”
 
Yes, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin nuzzled his chin with her nose. The little girl traced an unseen design on his shoulder. “Rin thinks you should rest, too. You sound very tired, like Rin.”
 
This Sesshomaru does not get tired.” He tucked the blankets further around the little girl. “Now rest.”
 
The little girl yawned wide, snuggling against him. She rested her head onto his shoulder, her nose tucked against his chin. Her legs stretched out, one barefoot brushing against his knee. Rin pulled the blanket up about her shoulders and sighed contentedly. “Goodnight, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Goodnight, Rin.” Sesshomaru rubbed his hand over her back and ran his fingers through her hair. He tucked loose strands behind an ear. Rin's breathing evened out and her body relaxed against him. Silence filled the camp as the others retired for the remainder of the night. Sesshomaru sighed, holding Rin close. He shifted his head on his fur, unable to find rest of his own.
 
The day and subsequent night had seemed much longer than it should have. It had held such promise when it had begun. Breakfast had been relaxing as he and and the little girl had shared a quiet meal in one another's companionship. Rin's lessons in the early morning had gone well, and although the Demon Lord didn't quite understand how the little girl spoke directly to his mind, he was glad that she could. Then they had gone shopping for her upcoming birthday and from there the day had only soured.
 
In the jewelry shop, Sesshomaru had been aware of the young boy's attentions to Rin. Up until their arrival in the strange valley of sorcerers, they had not had much contact with humans. When the young man had started a conversation, Sesshomaru knew he should let Rin respond on her own and therefore hadn't interfered. He hadn't liked the boy or his attitude, but had been curious to see how Rin would handle the situation. As long as the boy's idle chatter had remained friendly, the Demon Lord had pledged to stay out of it.
 
Rin had acted politely towards the young man, as Sesshomaru had expected; however, it had sounded forced, indicating that she hadn't liked him. The little girl's tone had been nervous, and she had struggled to answer several of the boy's questions. Sesshomaru had also kept watch from the corner of his eye, observing how Rin attempted to evade the young man. She had tried to slide down the counter several times to escape the odoriferous young man only to find him in pursuit. The little girl had also tried to end the conversation more than once, telling the boy that she had been simply looking the store's wares over. Despite her nervousness, Rin had held her own, that is until the boy had trapped her in a dim corner.
 
At first, Sesshomaru had known that the little girl could have escaped by side-stepping the young man. There had been a small enough gap between the counter and the wall. The longer they had talked, however, the more the boy had drawn closer to Rin, and had eventually closed it off. His questions about her age had been innocuous enough, but when he had asked her to go for a walk in the city with him it had alarmed Sesshomaru. The hesitation in Rin's answer had only confirmed his misgivings about the direction of their dialogue. Then, the boy had stepped closer, pinning Rin against the wall with no hope for escape.
 
Not only had Rin been trapped against the wall, the boy had touched her. His firm grip on Rin's hand had meant that she had no chance to push the young man aside and get away. From the corner of his eye, Sesshomaru had seen her attempt to pull her hand away, only to have the boy tighten his hold. The boy had nearly demanded that Rin go with him to this city garden, leaving Rin no polite way of refusing. The longer she had remained in the dim corner the more her scent had spiked, escalating from mere nervousness to outright distress.
 
When the boy had stepped even closer, obscuring much of Rin's petite frame from view, the Demon Lord had felt a vast rage build within him. It had been one thing for this boy to talk to Rin, but entirely something else for him to trap her in a corner and demand that she go with him into the city. The fact that the young man had touched Rin had only infuriated Sesshomaru all the more. This young boy had no right to touch his Rin. Nor did he have a right to demand anything from her. It had incensed the Demon Lord that the boy had believed he could, and as Rin's distress had risen in her scent, the more Sesshomaru's anger had flared until finally he had intervened.
 
The Demon Lord had pushed the boy aside, and had pulled his Rin close. To make things clear to the young man, he had snarled at the boy, the word “mine,” to indicate where Rin belonged: at his side. Instead of backing down to Sesshomaru, the young boy had shouted defiantly in his face, and had demanded that he allow Rin to talk with him. Such insolence had angered the Demon Lord, and he had simply repeated the word “mine” to reiterate where Rin belonged. Then the young man had accused him of ignoring Rin while they had been in the store. He had been watching Rin from the moment they had entered the streets that morning, so how dare this boy challenge him this way?
 
What had enraged Sesshomaru the most had been the audacity of the boy to imply that he owned Rin. The little girl meant much more to the Demon Lord than a simple possession. She followed him out of her own free will, and he had never forced her to do so. Sesshomaru may have declared Rin to be his, but she still remained her own person. For anyone to claim otherwise insulted Rin's individuality. This insinuation of the boy's had infuriated Sesshomaru the most, and it was because of this that the Demon Lord had nearly killed him. All that had stopped him had been Rin's insistence that he not do it.
 
Shaking his head to dispel his thoughts, Sesshomaru looked down at the slumbering Rin. She sighed softly in her sleep, nuzzling her nose against his neck as she tucked herself closer to him. Sesshomaru ran his hand over her back in a gentle circle before pulling the blankets up around them more, tucking it about the little girl's shoulders. Rin's arms looped around his neck in her sleep, and she stretched out. Her barefoot brushed against his leg before she settled back down, and relaxed against him.
 
Sesshomaru brushed some stray hair away from her face, smoothing it down. He listened to her easy breaths, and felt soothed by them. Taking a deep breath, the Demon Lord took in her scent, relishing in the soft hint of lilies. Rin murmured something unintelligible in her sleep, curling herself up into a ball. Her head rested on his shoulder, and her hair brushed against Sesshomaru's face. He blew the strands away, a soft chuckle escaping his throat.
 
Rin lifted her head, squinting at him. She groaned in protest, and rolled over onto the ground, her back turned towards him. The little girl whined, “Rin's trying to sleep, Sesshomaru-sama.”
 
Sesshomaru sat up, blinking. “Rin?”
 
Rin glared at him from over her shoulder, her eyes bleary. She snatched the blanket away, and grumbled, pulling it over her head. The little girl shifted on the ground, tucking her knees to her chest. Rin sighed, muttering under her breath. She pleaded, “Please, Sesshomaru-sama. Let Rin sleep.”
 
The Demon Lord arched an eyebrow. He had seen Rin treat Jaken this way in the past, especially when extremely tired. Usually, the more the toad demon would pester the child, the more she would grumble at him, until eventually the two would break out into a loud argument. Sesshomaru leaned forward, and said, his voice firm, “Rin.”
 
Rin whimpered, rolling over. Her face peeked at him from underneath the blanket, blinking weary eyes. “Rin needs her rest.” The little girl yawned wide, her eyes falling shut. “I'm so tired.”
 
Sesshomaru sighed softly. He brushed some hair away from her face, tucking the blanket around her tiny frame. “Then rest, Rin.”
 
Hushed chatter filled the camp as the early dawn set in. Sesshomaru settled back into his pelt, relaxing. The Demon Lord took a deep breath, sighing softly. The scent of wet grass filled the morning, mixed with the scent of wolves, horses, and humans. Sesshomaru dismissed the wolves, knowing that they had been the old sorcerer, the wolf-woman, and the Godslayer. He could also smell the smoke of a small, camp fire.
 
Not far from their tent, Sesshomaru heard the Godslayer comment, “I know that some of those men were traitorous, Zakath, but how do you intend to lead your men into Venna to fight when there are demons running about?”
 
“I have no choice, Garion. They'll move into the rest of the continent, taking Mal Zeth next if I don't. I have to go back to Mal Rakuth and prepare some sort of military force. Besides, it might distract them from the rest of the group. If they're paying attention to what I'm doing, perhaps they'll ignore you.”
 
The Godslayer sighed. “I guess I can't stop you. At least let me help you get back to the city.”
 
“That sounds fine to me.”
 
“We'll have to find Grandfather and let him know, then we can go.”
 
Sesshomaru shifted his head on his pelt, his eyes falling closed. He listened to their footsteps as they went in search of the old sorcerer. The matter did not really concern him, although he hoped that Zakath would be right about his forces providing a distraction while they continued on to this City of Endless Night. After the night's battle, he saw no reason to repeat it.
 
The Demon Lord grunted, and opened his eyes to see Rin settle back into his lap. She lifted his arm, tucking it around herself. Sesshomaru shook his head. “Rin?”
 
“The ground's not all that comfortable, Sesshomaru-sama.” Rin kissed his cheek. “Rin's sorry that she was grouchy with you.” The little girl yawned, curling up onto his chest. She wrapped her arms around his neck, resting her head onto his shoulder. “Do you forgive me?”
 
Sesshomaru sighed, rubbing her shoulder. He threaded his fingers through her soft hair. “Yes, Rin.” He smiled softly at her, pulling the blanket up around her shoulders. “You should rest. This Sesshomaru does not know when we will return to the road.”
 
Rin nuzzled his chin with her nose. Her stomach growled, and the little girl giggled. “Rin's hungry now, though.” She rubbed an eye, yawning. “Do you think we'll have breakfast?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “I'm sure we will.” He kissed her cheek. “Shall we find out, Rin?”
 
Rin's stomach growled again, louder this time, and the little girl looked down. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama. That sounds like a good idea.”
 
Sesshomaru tapped her shoulder, and Rin climbed out of his lap. He exited the tent, glancing around the camp. The dark-haired sorceress stood over a small fire, humming to herself as she stirred something in the pot. Sesshomaru tilted his head. “There is your answer, Rin.”
 
Rin stretched next to him, yawning. She rubbed an eye. “I'll go find out what she's making for breakfast, okay?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “Go ahead.”
 
The little girl headed towards the sorceress. She asked, peering into the pot, “Polgara-sama, what are we going to have for breakfast?”
 
The dark-haired woman looked up, the morning sun glinting off her white lock. “Good morning, Rin, dear. Did you sleep well?”
 
“I slept alright.”
 
“That's good.” She snapped a twig, feeding it to the fire. “We're having a quick breakfast of porridge.”
 
Silk snorted not too far from the Demon Lord, a disgusted look crossing his rat-like face. He sat on the ground in front of his tent, polishing a dagger. The spy muttered, “Porridge, oatmeal, I don't care what word she uses, it's still gruel. It'll always be gruel.” He shuddered. “I hate gruel. It can set the tone for the rest of the day.”
 
Sesshomaru sighed. He agreed with the thief for a change, although he didn't voice it. He turned, making his way towards the wash basins on the outskirts of camp. Splashing water on his face, he rubbed the dirt, blood, and grime away. It would have to do until he could take a proper bath.
 
“Sesshomaru?”
 
The Demon Lord turned, and found that Kagome stood behind him. He dried his hand on a towel. “Yes?”
 
A light blush tinged her cheeks and the young miko looked down towards the ground, her hair falling into her eyes. Kagome tucked her hair behind an ear, smiling shyly at him. She smoothed down her skirt, lifting it a little as she stepped closer. In one hand she clutched a soft, green scarf, presenting it to him. “Here.”
 
Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow at the offered gift, and asked, “What is this about?”
 
“I wanted to thank-you, that's all.”
 
“For?”
 
“Giving me that scarf for one. I thought I'd repay you.” She offered him the green silk.
 
“Not necessary.”
 
“You've done a lot of things for Inuyasha and I lately, and I wanted to make it up to you, even in some small way.” She smiled, holding the scarf out to him. “I thought you might like this scarf when I saw it in one of those shops. Please say you'll take it. It'd mean so much to me, and I know even if Inuyasha won't say it, it'd mean a lot to him, too.”
 
“If you insist.” Sesshomaru took the scarf, admiring how it caught the morning light and seemed to shimmer. He tucked it into his haori. “It was still not necessary, however.”
 
“I know, but it was too beautiful to leave behind.” Kagome shook her head, pushing some loose strands behind an ear. “Inuyasha thought it was silly, but I knew you had to have it as soon as I saw it.”
 
“Somehow that does not surprise this Sesshomaru.”
 
Kagome's smile faded. She became tense, and her eyes distant. “Those shards have picked up speed. They were coming pretty steady at us, about a half an hour or more away, but now, they're coming straight at us, rapidly.” Her face became pale, and she bit her lip. “Those shards can belong to only one person.”
 
“And who would that be, miko?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “I have to get to Inuyasha before he gets here.” The young woman turned, preparing to go towards the tents. “It'll be bad if I don't, trust me.”
 
Sesshomaru furrowed his brows. “Before he gets here?”
 
“Yes.” Kagome sighed, lifting her skirt so not to step on it. “I must hurry.”
 
A swift wind disturbed the grass in the distance, and the trees swayed violently. Coursing towards them down a hill appeared to be a small whirlwind, increasing in speed. Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes, picking upon the scent of the wolf-demon that had ordered his wolves to kill Rin long ago. Skidding to a stop, the wolf-demon smiled wide. “There you are, Kagome. I finally found you.”
 
Kagome smiled hesitantly, looking down at the ground. Her loose hair fell about her shoulders, hiding her face. “Hello, Koga.”
 
Koga took the young miko's hands into his own, clasping them. “I've been tracking you for about a day. How have you been?”
 
“I've been alright. How about you?” The miko asked, her voice sounding aloof.
 
“It's been alright, I guess. I hope dog shit hasn't been treating you too badly.” He sniffed, leaning in. The wolf-demon's nose wrinkled, and his blue eyes went wide. “What the fuck did he do to you? You reek of him! Don't tell me, he touched you. I'm gonna fucking kill him for touching my woman!”
 
Kagome bit her lip, looking down. She tried to pull her hands free. “Koga---”
 
“Answer me, Kagome. Just what did dog shit do to you?” Koga growled, his eyes narrowed.
 
“Koga, he didn't do anything to me.” Kagome tried to pry her hands out of the wolf-demon's. “Just listen to me, please---”
 
“Bullshit.” The wolf-demon squeezed her hands. “You reek of him and I can tell he touched you.”
 
“Koga, it's not like that---” Kagome made another attempt to wrench her hands free.
 
Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow at Koga's indignation. So the same wolf-demon that was responsible for slaughtering Rin was also in pursuit of Kagome. The Demon Lord stepped closer to the pair, his eyes narrowed in disgust. “Miko, is this who you meant when you said before he gets here?”
 
“Just who the fuck are you?” The wolf-demon growled low in his throat, sneering at the Demon Lord. He sniffed. “Wait, you smell just as bad as dog shit does.”
 
“Koga, don't.” Kagome sighed, looking down.
 
Sesshomaru glared at him from the corner of his eye. “This Sesshomaru did not address you.” He nodded towards Kagome. “Answer my question, miko.”
 
“Yes, he is.” Kagome nodded.
 
“She has a name, you arrogant fucker.” Koga pulled Kagome close. “Her name is Kagome, don't forget it. You should respect her.”
 
Kagome pushed against Koga's chest. “Let me go, Koga.”
 
“I see.” Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes at the wolf-demon. “I suggest that you take your own advice and respect her wishes.”
 
“What's it to you?” Koga sniffed. “You never did tell me who the fuck you are or why you smell like dog shit. You're not a half-breed, though. That counts for something, I guess.”
 
“That is none of your concern.” Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes.
 
Inuyasha shouted, “I thought I smelt your stench, you fucking worthless wolf!” He charged the wolf-demon, slamming his fist into Koga's jaw. The dark-haired demon flew backwards, landing on his back. “Never, ever touch my mate again, you got that?”
 
Koga sat up, shaking his head. He rubbed his jaw, wiping blood from a split lip. He glared at the hanyou. “What the fuck did you just say? Kagome's mine!”
 
Inuyasha pulled Kagome to his chest, holding her close. “Kagome is my mate. Mine.” He narrowed his eyes, baring his fangs at the wolf-demon. “Do you think you can understand that, you stupid, fucking wolf?”
 
Koga stood, glaring at Inuyasha. He shouted, “She's mine, you stupid dog shit. You're just a worthless half-breed. Your claim doesn't mean anything.”
 
Inuyasha whispered into Kagome's ear, “Stand by Sesshomaru.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Alright.”
 
“Stand behind me, miko.” Sesshomaru watched as his brother prepared to fight a rival male over Kagome.
 
The young woman scrambled behind him, staring past his shoulder. She muttered to herself, “Why must it be like this?”
 
“My claim isn't any good, huh?” Inuyasha growled at Koga. He threw another punch, missing by mere inches. “Why don't we ask Kagome about that?”
 
“You're still too slow, dog shit,” Koga taunted. He turned, swinging his leg in an attempt to kick Inuyasha in the stomach. “I don't have to ask her. You forget that I claimed Kagome as mine first.”
 
“I am, huh? Like you should talk.” The hanyou did a back flip, landing on his feet. “Your claim, as you call it, asshole, is all talk.”
 
Sesshomaru shook his head. This wolf-demon did not realize the peril he had placed himself in. Inuyasha had every right to kill him outright, yet he had allowed Koga to challenge him in a fight. It seemed that his brother either wanted to toy with him, or didn't want to upset Kagome by slaying the wolf-demon in front of her. He muttered, “Foolishness.”
 
“Sesshomaru-sama!” Rin's voice called as she crossed the grass. She held a small bowl in her hands, smiling at him. “Rin brought you breakfast, Sesshomaru-sama!”
 
Sesshomaru tensed, his eyes locking on the little girl. Rin stopped, dropping the bowl she held. It landed upside down, spilling the gruel into a puddle at her feet. Rin's eyes went wide in terror, and she screamed shrilly. Fear spiked in her scent, and she turned, fleeing towards the trees. She whimpered as she ran, the saltiness of her tears reaching Sesshomaru's nose.
 
Both the hanyou and wolf-demon stopped, and covered their ears, wincing. Koga whispered, “Damn, that girl's got a loud voice.”
 
Rin continued to run aimlessly towards the trees, her skirt tripping her every so often. The little girl glanced over her shoulder, her eyes wide in fright. She panted through her sobs as she pushed herself to run faster. Rin misstepped, her foot sinking into a small hole, and her ankle gave way under her weight as it twisted. She tumbled forward, crying out in pain and terror as she fell into the dirt. Rin pushed herself up, trying to stand, only to fall back down on her knees. She whimpered hysterically, and crouched onto the ground, her arms over her head for protection.
 
Inuyasha lowered his hands from his ears slowly, looking from the panicked girl to the wolf-demon with wide, surprised eyes. They narrowed in fury and he growled low in his throat. His ears flattened to his head, and he shouted, “It was you! You bastard!” He lunged at Koga, pinning him to the dirt. The hanyou drove his fist into the wolf-demon's face. “How could you! She's just a pup!”
 
Sesshomaru rushed to Rin, and knelt down next to her, pulling the little girl against his chest. She struggled in his grip, wailing in fright. The Demon Lord smoothed her hair down, rocking her as he tried to calm her down. Rin wrapped her arms around his neck, burying her face into his shoulder, and sobbed. She shook in his grasp, holding onto him tightly. Sesshomaru eased her into his lap, pulling her close as he nuzzled her hair. He hadn't expected Rin to react so violently at the sight of the wolf-demon that had ordered the attack on her village. Rin's thought brushed against him, her voice terrified, “Sesshomaru-sama, Rin's so scared. Don't let the bad wolves get Rin.”
 
I'm here, Rin.” Sesshomaru rocked her slowly, a soft rumble escaping his throat. “It'll be alright now. They won't get you. This Sesshomaru promises you that.”
 
The wolf-demon kicked Inuyasha in the stomach, dislodging him. He shook his head, glaring at the hanyou. “What the fuck are you talking about, dog shit!” Koga wiped blood away from his mouth. “I've never seen that brat before in my life.”
 
Inuyasha growled at Koga, his eyes narrowed in rage. He charged him, pinning him back onto the ground. The hanyou snarled, “You bastard! Your wolves killed her!”
 
“You don't make any sense. She's not dead,” Koga shouted.
 
Kagome gasped, her eyes wide. She shook her head in disbelief. “How could you? A child---”
 
“I don't know what the two of you are talking about. That girl's not dead!” Koga shouted as he tried to dig his claws into Inuyasha's arms.
 
Sesshomaru glared at the wolf-demon as he sat with Rin. He rubbed her back with gentle circles, brushing his nose against her hair. “I'm here, Rin.”
 
The old sorcerer arrived, a scowl on his face. His mate and daughter stood behind him, both frowning. Belgarath asked, “Just what is going on over here? What is all the commotion about?”
 
Inuyasha snarled at Belgarath. “Stay the fuck out of this, Old Man. It has nothing to do with you.”
 
Polgara arched an eyebrow. “We heard Rin's scream. Is everything alright?”
 
Poledra's gold eyes stared unblinking at the pair on the ground as they tussled. She said, “How remarkable.”
 
Rin hid her face into Sesshomaru's shoulder. She sobbed softly, shrinking herself against him. “Please, stay with Rin, Sesshomaru-sama. Don't let the bad wolves get her.”
 
Sesshomaru rocked her, threading his fingers through her hair. “I'm here. I won't go anywhere, Rin.”
 
Koga managed to kick Inuyasha away again, sending the half-demon sailing backwards to land in the dirt. He said, “Pay attention to me, dog shit. You're fighting me!”
 
Inuyasha stood, snarling. His eyes flickered red momentarily and he pounced on Koga, his hands going around the wolf-demon's throat. “You fucking worthless wolf! You killed Rin! It was your wolves!” He squeezed, his claws digging into Koga's tough skin, and blood trickled between Inuyasha's fingers.“You're so disgusting. Were you so hungry that day that you could kill a pup!”
 
Belgarath's blue eyes went wide, and he frowned. “So, this must be the man-eating wolf mentioned in the past. It explains a lot, that's for sure.”
 
Koga clawed at Inuyasha's arms, drawing blood. He made strangled noises, trying to kick the hanyou away. Finally, he landed a punch on Inuyasha's jaw, getting him to let go. “I still don't know what the fuck you're talking about! That girl is alive!”
 
Inuyasha smashed his fist into Koga's face. “Shut the fuck up! She'd still be dead if it wasn't for my brother.” He kicked the wolf-demon in the stomach, causing Koga to clutch it and fall to the dirt. “First you challenge my claim to my mate, then I find out you're responsible for killing a pup. You don't deserve to live, asshole.”
 
“How?” The old sorcerer blinked, looking from the fighting pair to Rin, astonishment crossing his face. He muttered to himself, “I don't understand. Just how did Sesshomaru bring back a child from the dead without the aid of a God?”
 
Koga sputtered, heaving. The wolf-demon spat blood, wiping some away with the back of his hand. He looked up, his blue eyes narrowed in fury. “I said I don't remember that girl. I've never seen her before!” He attacked Inuyasha, punching him in the face. “Kagome was mine first! You took her away from me!”
 
Inuyasha growled, his eyes flashing again. He backhanded Koga, sending the wolf-demon staggering back. “She remembers you. That's all that matters.” Inuyasha slammed his fist into Koga's stomach. “As for my mate, you never had her. Ever. She is mine!”
 
The Demon Lord frowned at the sorcerer's question. He didn't need to explain his actions, especially past ones to anyone. Sesshomaru turned his focus back on the little girl and held Rin close as her sobs subsided. She tucked herself into his lap, her arms wrapped around his neck. Rin took deep breaths, trembling against him. The little girl whimpered every time the wolf-demon shouted back at Inuyasha. She winced as she tried to adjust in his lap, unable to tuck her legs underneath herself. “Don't let him get Rin.”
 
Polgara knelt down next to them, her blue eyes concerned. “Is she alright?”
 
The Demon Lord growled softly, glaring at the sorceress. He had just calmed the little girl and did not want to upset her any further. He protectively pulled Rin closer, his eyes connecting with Polgara's blue. He said through clenched teeth, “Leave us.”
 
Polgara shook her head, her white lock falling over her left eye. “Don't be foolish. She's twisted her ankle.”
 
As the wolf-demon hunched over, Inuyasha kneed him in the face. His eyes flashed red, and his claws lengthened as his blood changed. He smirked wickedly at Koga, baring his elongated fangs. Inuyasha's ears pinned to his head and he growled low in his throat. The hanyou attacked Koga, his hands locking around his throat. Inuyasha snarled, his voice deeper,” There's no reason for me not to kill you.”
 
Koga's eyes went wide, and he struggled against Inuyasha's strengthened grip. He clawed frantically at the hanyou's arms, trying to get him to let go. He gurgled, straining for air. The wolf-demon tried to kick Inuyasha off of him, only to have the half-demon punch him in the face. Koga sputtered, drawing in air. “What happened to you, dog shit?”
 
“Shut up.” Inuyasha slashed his claws across Koga's chest, drawing blood. His eyes narrowed, and he hesitated, his claws ready to plunge into Koga's chest. “What the fuck do you mean I can't kill him! He touched my mate. He killed Rin!”
 
Belgarath stood stiff, watching with an awed expression. He whispered, amazement in his voice, “It can't be. Is he talking to who I think he is?”
 
Sesshomaru watched his transformed brother hesitate to slaughter, when in the past he had killed mindlessly. The hanyou's eyes flickered gold before snapping back to red. The Demon Lord held Rin against his chest, ignoring the sorceress as he waited to see what would happen next. Would his brother give into the blood lust? Inuyasha also seemed to be arguing with an invisible foe, something that perplexed Sesshomaru all the more.
 
Koga swiped his claws across Inuyasha's face, causing the hanyou to howl in pain. He kicked Inuyasha away while the hanyou wiped blood from his cheek. “What the fuck is going on here! What happened to you, Inuyasha!”
 
Inuyasha's red eyes narrowed and he locked one clawed hand around the wolf-demon's throat. “You'll pay for that, fucker.” He punched Koga in the forehead, sending the wolf-demon flying back. Inuyasha pounced on him, flexing his claws above Koga's chest. The hanyou growled, shouting to some unseen person, “Just what use could you have for this piece of shit? I want to fucking kill him and you can't stop me.”
 
Sesshomaru nuzzled his nose into Rin's hair when she trembled again, sobbing softly against his shoulder. He whispered, “I'm here, Rin. They won't get you.” He glared at the sorceress, more concerned at the moment with keeping the little girl calm. Once the wolf-demon had been handled, he'd deal with Rin's twisted ankle.
 
Koga swiped his claws across Inuyasha's chest, finding it to have no effect. He tried to kick, only to have Inuyasha snarl in his face, one clawed hand locked around his throat. His blue eyes went wide in shock, and he clawed at Inuyasha's arm. “What's going on here? Who the hell are you talking to?”
 
“I can't see what use he could be to you. He's worthless.” Inuyasha squeezed his hand around Koga's throat. He growled, his eyes flickering back and forth from red to gold and back again. “Fine. I'll let him live, but as soon as you're done with him, he's as good as dead.” Inuyasha shoved Koga away in disgust. He glared at everyone that had gathered around them. “No one touches him, understand?”
 
Belgarath shook his head, furrowing his brows. He muttered to himself, “It hasn't talked this way with anyone but Garion for ages.” The old sorcerer rubbed his short, white beard, and sighed. “I wonder how much it's told Inuyasha.”
 
Sesshomaru arched an eyebrow at the old man's statement. Just who was he talking about? Obviously the old sorcerer knew the identity of this unseen person his brother had argued with. The Demon Lord hoped that it was not another one of these strange Grolims assaulting his brother. Once he had made sure that Rin was alright both mentally and physically, he would ask Belgarath, and get answers. He had to know what was causing his brother's strange behavior. Sesshomaru had to wonder how much of the lying from that previous night had to do with this strange, invisible person.
 
Rin tucked herself closer to him, nuzzling her nose against his chin. Sesshomaru looked down towards her, and ran his fingers through her hair. She whispered, “He won't hurt Rin again, will he?”
 
No. I promised you that he won't.”
 
Kagome looked away from Koga, her expression saddened. She said, “How could you be so cruel, Koga? I thought you were better than that. She's just a child.”
 
The wolf-woman stepped forward, her gold eyes determined. Inuyasha snarled at her, raising a clawed hand. She did not back down, and said, “One only wishes to speak with this man-eating wolf. One wants to know why he would break custom, and why he would disgrace himself as a wolf to eat man-flesh.”
 
Note: For news, author notes, and information, check my live journal at http://farawayeyes4.livejournal.com/