Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter Seventy Three ( Chapter 73 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

For more information, reader responses and more, checking my livejournal at http://farawayeyes4. livejournal.com/
 
I'd like to dedicate this chapter to doggieearlover.
 
Chapter Seventy Three
 
Shrugging off the fire rat robe from her shoulders, Kagome entered the tent she would share with Inuyasha. She set it into a corner and began to arrange the pillows and blankets, patiently waiting for him. Kagome had convinced the hanyou to set their tent up in the small grove a short distance from camp. It would provide the privacy she desired, and she hoped that it would relax her mate. Last time he had been human they had been rather crowded, after all.
 
Peeking through the tent flaps, Kagome tried to spot Inuyasha. A frown crossed her face when she didn't see him. Dusk was fast approaching and it wouldn't be long before sundown. She wondered what could be taking him so long. It shouldn't have taken him this long to tell Garion, so what was the hold-up? Usually, Inuyasha couldn't hide fast enough on the night of the new moon. Her hanyou was almost out of time.
 
“Oi. You again. I didn't miss anything, asshole,” Inuyasha's irritated voice snapped. “I can always ask him later, so stop being a pest.”
 
Kagome saw him approach, but he was alone. Had Myoga tried to tag along? It wasn't uncommon for the flea to frustrate Inuyasha. She wondered what Myoga wanted this time. Who was Inuyasha supposed to talk to and what was he supposed to ask? Whatever it was, Inuyasha didn't want to hear it.
 
“You are such a prick,” the hanyou hissed. He had his back turned to Kagome, so she couldn't see if Myoga was perched on one of Inuyasha's fingers. “I don't appreciate you talking to me like I'm a dog, by the way. For your information, I'm not that old and I don't need to learn any new tricks, so shut the fuck up already.”
 
Kagome's brows furrowed. Myoga wouldn't dare insult Inuyasha by telling him that he had to learn new tricks. Just who was he talking to then? She couldn't hear another voice, and she couldn't see anyone else nearby. Kagome felt concern settle into her stomach. She feared that who ever Inuyasha was arguing with might be a Grolim or someone with nefarious intentions.
 
“I'll talk to you any damn way I please, you bastard.” Inuyasha snorted. “You can't tell me what to do. Just leave me the hell alone.”
 
Frowning, Kagome wished she could hear the other side of the conversation. Just what was this person saying that irritated Inuyasha so much? It was obvious that Inuyasha didn't like them. What concerned her more was what this person wanted from Inuyasha. It could be anything. It also disturbed her that her mate hadn't mentioned this person in the past. Judging by the one-sided conversation, Inuyasha had talked to them more than once, but for how long?
 
“Whatever.” Inuyasha paced a few feet. “And no, right now I don't give a shit who you are. It's close to sundown so I don't have time to argue with you. I'll ask Garion later, alright?”
 
Kagome's eyes went wide at the mention of Garion. Now that she knew who Inuyasha had to talk to, what did this person want him to ask? It also upset her that Inuyasha didn't seem to know the identity of this individual, either. She wouldn't really be able to ask if he couldn't answer, now could she?
 
“Now who's the impatient one, fucker. You've been riding my ass for being impatient, but when I don't jump at the first chance to find out just who the hell you are, you get all riled up.” Inuyasha laughed softly, the sound sarcastic. “Right now, all I need to know is that you're not one of those shitty Grolims. That's good enough for me.”
 
Breathing a sigh of relief, Kagome was glad to learn that this person wasn't a Grolim at least. It still disturbed her that this person hadn't told Inuyasha their identity, but at least that possibility had been ruled out. It still didn't mean that she wasn't worried about her mate. She hoped who ever this person was that they weren't going to take advantage of him.
 
“You sound so hurt, too, bastard.” Inuyasha's tone was mocking. Besides, I'm not the one who has the opposite and the rules and all of that stupidity. I still don't know why you can't just tell me who you are.”
 
What rules? This person had an opposite? The more she overheard, the more confusing it became. More than ever, Kagome wished she could hear the other half of the dialogue. Something told her it would be helpful to figure out this person's intentions.
 
“And you should just tell me on your own, asshole.” Inuyasha sighed in exasperation. “Whatever. I don't care anymore. If you don't mind, I'd like to go spend some time with my mate. You're not invited.”
 
Kagome ducked into the tent before Inuyasha could see her. She didn't want to give the impression that she had been eavesdropping on him or that she didn't trust him. Biting her lip, she decided to hold in her questions about the one-sided argument she had just witnessed. Something told her that asking him about it would only lead to them having a fight. While it upset her that her mate hadn't told her about this visitor, she knew that Inuyasha would tell her on his own. She would just have to be patient and hope for the best. Perhaps she would ask Garion about it herself as well.
 
Inuyasha entered the tent in a huff. He sat down in a corner and crossed his arms. The scowl on his face made him appear unapproachable. So far, he hadn't said anything to her. His ears were pinned to his head and he growled softly. Kagome would let him speak first. She didn't want to fight with him.
 
“Stupid prick. He makes the jackass look good.” The hanyou snorted.
 
Kagome wondered if Inuyasha even realized that she was there. She sighed and shook her head. If she said anything now, they'd only end up fighting. While she waited, she lit the oil lamp suspended from the tent's ceiling, preparing for sundown. Judging by the dimness inside, it wouldn't be long now.
 
The sound of rustling fabric filled the quiet tent as Inuyasha shifted. Kagome felt his arms encircle her as he pulled her against his chest. He buried his nose into her hair, taking a deep breath. Kagome settled into his lap, getting comfortable. She knew he would need this before becoming human, so she let him indulge.
 
Inuyasha's rough whisper brushed her ear, “Mate. Mine.”
 
Kagome returned the greeting, gently rubbing his arms wrapped around her middle, “Mate. Mine.”
 
They sat this way for a few moments before Inuyasha untangled from her. He settled onto the blankets and closed his eyes. Inuyasha sighed, the sound resigned. Then, almost as if someone had poured the night itself onto his silver hair, it turned black from root to tip. His small triangular ears slowly shifted downward and shaped into human ones before settling on the side of his head. Inuyasha's claws retracted into blunt finger nails, as if someone had clipped them. The tiny hint of his fangs at the corners of his mouth disappeared.
 
Kagome had only seen him actually transform into a human a handful of times. He hid so fast usually that by the time she saw him on the night of the new moon it had already happened. It always fascinated her. She couldn't help but wonder if it hurt to undergo such physical change almost instantaneously. Most of all, it always stunned her just how different her hanyou looked as a human.
 
Inuyasha opened his eyes, the usual burnished gold replaced by a dark violet. The dim light made them almost appear onyx. The hanyou now turned human smiled shyly, casting a vulnerability to his expression. Inuyasha said, his voice soft, “Hey.”
 
“Hey.” Kagome smiled wide.
 
“Come here.” He patted the blankets next to him.
 
She moved to sit next to him, throwing her arms around his middle. “Is that better?”
 
“Much.” Inuyasha wrapped an arm around her, holding her close. He burrowed his nose into her hair, taking a deep breath. He kissed her temple, the gesture gentle. “You smell good.”
 
Kagome glanced up, resting her hand on his cheek. “I believe you told me that the first time I saw you as a human.”
 
“And I still mean it.” Inuyasha took her hand into his, gently kissing her palm. “I love your scent.”
 
“I know.” She shifted, getting comfortable in his lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her forehead onto his. “You smell good, too.”
 
“I do?” Inuyasha's nose wrinkled.
 
“Of course you do.” Kagome laughed softly. “I already told you that once before, remember?”
 
Inuyasha's brows knit together, and he nodded. “I guess.”
 
“No, you don't,” Kagome playfully accused. “You smell different as a human, though.”
 
“I do?” Inuyasha gently rubbed her sides. “What do I smell like?”
 
“Different.” Kagome nuzzled her nose under his chin. “There's this underlying floral scent when you're a hanyou that's more pronounced when you're human.”
 
“I smell like flowers?” Inuyasha snorted.
 
“Not just any flowers, Inuyasha. Sacred Tree blossoms.” She kissed his pulse, her tongue making languid circles.
 
“But the Goshinboku never blossomed while I was pinned to it,” Inuyasha said, curiosity in his voice.
 
“I know, but it's there.” She took a deep breath, taking in his scent. “You usually smell more like a forest when you're hanyou.”
 
“I see.” Inuyasha threaded his fingers through her hair. “Do I smell like anything else as a human?”
 
Kagome lifted her head, nodding. “Yes.”
 
“What then?”
 
She kissed his temple, then whispered into one of his now human ears, “Me.”
 
Inuyasha shuddered underneath her. He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close. He buried his nose into her hair, inhaling deeply. There was such tenderness in the action. It radiated a deep set need, a desperation that made him defenseless.
 
His voice thick with emotion, Inuyasha whispered, “Yours.”
 
Kagome trembled in his embrace at the sheer vulnerability in that simple word. His emotions were always the most unguarded on the night of the new moon. She was overwhelmed by the absolute adoration that this man had for her. He showed it to her in so many ways everyday---by protecting her, by trusting her with his innermost secrets, by the tenderness in their love making---but it was this night that he could tell her how much he loved her. Uttering that single word said everything---and more---than any lengthy, thought-out confession ever could.
 
They stayed this way for several moments, simply existing together. She gently ran her fingers through his dark hair, almost as if she were comforting him. Inuyasha's grasp strengthened, his hands clutching at her dress. Kagome kissed his temple, returning his earlier gesture. She rested her chin atop his head, and closed her eyes.
 
Kagome whispered, “Mine.”
 
Inuyasha lifted his head, a multitude of emotions swirling in the depths of his dark eyes: love, gratitude, devotion, and most of all reverence. He leaned in and pressed his lips to hers in a tender kiss. His tongue gently pleaded for entrance. Kagome acquiesced, and their tongues tangled together.
 
She explored his fang-less mouth slowly, as if they were kissing for the first time. It felt odd not to brush against the familiar points. The kiss was soft, almost chaste in its nature. It seemed so different, and yet the same. Inuyasha tasted as he always had: smoky and spicy.
 
Kagome broke the kiss off and rested her forehead against his. She tucked some of his ebony hair behind a round human ear. She searched his violet eyes, finding a sliver of uncertainty. Kagome smiled wide at him, gently caressing his cheek with a thumb. He returned the smile, making him appear boyish. His rough fingertips traced his mark, causing Kagome's eyes to flutter shut and a soft moan to escape.
 
His tongue followed, slowly circling it. The languid strokes were gentle and loving as he worshiped her skin. Kagome tilted her head back, granting him greater access. Inuyasha's hands massaged her sides before gently squeezing her hips. They moved to her stomach, his touch featherlight. Slowly, he trailed his hand up to the front of her dress. It trembled, and he fumbled with the string.
 
Kagome clasped his hand into both of hers. She kissed their joined hands and whispered, “Let me.”
 
Inuyasha's hand dropped, his intense dark eyes watching as she undid the strings. Kagome pulled the bodice open and slipped her arms out of the sleeves. Next, she undid the clasp on her bra and let it fall away. Inuyasha palmed one bare breast, and Kagome arched to meet his hand. He lowered his head, resting it against her bosom.
 
Silence filled the tent, all save Inuyasha's easy, contented breaths.
 
He breathed, “I can hear your heartbeat. It's so strong.”
 
Kagome stroked his hair and cradled his head. She knew that he felt naked without his usual potent senses. Inuyasha must have felt disconnected from her when human. His actions belied a need to reassure himself that everything he knew remained the same. Inuyasha was far more complicated than anyone ever considered, and yet, such simple things could make him happy. Kagome indulged her mate, wanting him to relax on this most stressful of nights.
 
She kissed the top of his head. “I'm glad.”
 
Inuyasha burrowed his nose into the valley between her breasts. He kissed a path on her sensitive skin, causing her to shudder in bliss. He gently suckled one breast, his now blunt teeth gently tugging on the nipple. Inuyasha made swift circles with his tongue over it, teasing her further. She fisted his thick hair in her hands, gasping. He moved to the other breast, repeating the process. His hand palmed the other one, rolling the hardened nipple between his fingers.
 
Lifting his head, Inuyasha took possession of her mouth, his tongue exploring. Kagome melted into the kiss, a muffled moan escaping. He broke it off and looked down. A blush dusted his cheeks. His voice soft, Inuyasha whispered, “You're beautiful, Kagome.”
 
Kagome tilted his head up and kissed him. She smiled and answered in reply, “And you're still cute when you're shy.”
 
A tiny smile crossed his face. He said, “If you say so, wench.”
 
Kagome cupped his face into her hands and kissed him again. She laughed softly. “What shall I do with you, my hanyou?”
 
“But I'm not a hanyou tonight, remember?” He smirked, a playful gleam in his dark eyes.
 
“That's right. You're not.” Kagome tucked stray black locks behind one human ear. Leaning in, she nibbled on the lobe. She whispered, her voice throaty, “I've wanted to do that for a very long time.”
 
Inuyasha shivered, groaning low in his throat. He begged, “Kagome---”
 
She smiled against his skin. So his human ears were just as sensitive. She slowly dragged her tongue from the shell to the lobe. Inuyasha rewarded her with another moan, yielding to her attentions. She kissed her way down his jawline, nipping as she went along. Inuyasha's fingers wove into her hair and he growled softly, the sound primal. Somewhere, underneath the human surface lurked the inner demon.
 
Kagome pushed his undershirt open and ran her hands on his bare, muscular chest. His heavy pants filled her ears, and she kissed a path down. When she reached his nipples, she returned his earlier favor. Kagome traced circles around one with her tongue before gently nipping at it. She moved and did the same to the other. Inuyasha shuddered, emitting a stuttered gasp.
 
Pulling away, Kagome shifted in Inuyasha's lap. He grunted, the sound frustrated. He bucked his hips, expressing his growing impatience. Sliding out of both her dress and panties, she kicked them aside. She smiled wickedly at Inuyasha when she caught the unchecked desire in his eyes. Moving to straddle his hips, she rubbed herself against him in slow, agonized circles. Capturing Inuyasha's lips in hers, Kagome muffled his groan.
 
Kagome dragged the palm of her hands down his athletic chest. She ran them to the flat planes of his stomach, stopping at the strings that tied his hakama closed. She leaned in close to his ear and whispered, “Does that hair change color, too? I'd love to see.”
 
Inuyasha trembled and growled, the sound feral. His hands clenched into fists at his sides, and he bit his lip. Kagome continued to tease him, her fingers caressing the strings. This caused him to throw his head back and arch his back. Inuyasha panted savagely, his chest heaving.
 
Lowering her head, Kagome took the end of a string between her teeth. She pulled it slowly and slid his hakama down and off his hips. Once he was naked before her, she rubbed his strong calves. Kagome kissed them, loving his skin. Inuyasha was at her complete mercy.
 
Looking up, her eyes locked onto Inuyasha's. The violet deepened into a rich amethyst. Taking a moment, Kagome traced his face with her eyes. She moved down his chest and finally rested her gaze upon his hips. Indeed, his hair had changed color to match the midnight mane on his head.
 
Settling in between his spread legs, Kagome left open-mouthed kisses on his taut abdomen. She made leisured circles on his upper thighs, making her way towards his arousal. Slowly, she dragged her tongue up its underside. A stuttered moan issued from Inuyasha. Gently, she took the head of his erection into her mouth and swirled her tongue over it.
 
Glancing up, Kagome admired the reaction she elicited from her mate. There was a deep blush coating his cheeks. His lips were parted as he breathed hard. His eyes smoldered with smoky lust while he watched her taunt him. Inuyasha's hair spilled around his head like a midnight cascade. He was beautiful and all hers.
 
Kagome brushed her fingers on his inner thighs while continuing to suck his hardened flesh. She bobbled her head slowly, sealing her lips tight. She wanted to push him to the brink without allowing him to go over. Inuyasha's hips bucked and he grunted. His fingers wove into her hair as he gripped tightly. Kagome could tell that he was close.
 
Sitting up, Kagome kissed him. Their tongues dueled for dominance. Inuyasha's response was hungry. She yielded to him and allowed him to ravish her mouth. He suckled her bottom lip, taking possession. Inuyasha's hands ran down her sides, and he pulled her flush against him.
 
Inuyasha leaned her back to lay on the blankets. He eased her legs apart and lowered his head to kiss her sensitive inner thighs. His rough hands brushed her stomach, caressing it. Kagome gasped, writhing in pleasure. She closed her eyes, allowing the sensations to ripple through her body.
 
One of Inuyasha's fingers teased her slick entrance. He pushed it inside slowly, then curled it. Kagome's hips rose to meet him, encouraging the attention. Inuyasha established a steady rhythm, thrusting his finger deeper inside. Kagome squirmed, groaning in bliss. He eased a second finger inside and pumped them slowly.
 
Judging by the pace, Inuyasha was taunting her as she had him. Neither wanted to rush their explorations of one another. Besides, it might be awhile before they could find the privacy required to do this again. Kagome wanted to make every moment last. It seemed, sometimes, that their time together was rushed, so this leisurely pace was welcomed.
 
Inuyasha replaced his fingers with his tongue. He swirled it inside in deliberate circles. Kagome gripped his head in her hands and mewled in delight. He plunged it deep inside before turning his attention to her swollen clit. Gently, he pulled on it with his teeth. He lapped at it, sending tremors of ecstasy through her body. Kagome bucked and she gasped as she neared the edge of her climax.
 
Inuyasha pulled away before settling between her open thighs. His hard flesh rested against her skin. He whispered into her ear, “That's what you get for teasing me, wench.”
 
Kagome bit her lip, looking up into his flushed face. She groaned, the sound pleading. She wrapped her legs around him, holding him to her. She said, her voice breathless, “Inuyasha---”
 
Inuyasha smirked. She knew that he had the upper hand. He lifted up, holding himself up with his palms. He moved the head of his erection, rubbing it against her wet folds. His eyes held hers as he hesitated, taunting her a little more. Slowly, he sank himself inside until he was fully seated to the hilt. His eyes closed and he suppressed a groan.
 
He whispered, “Mate. Mine.”
 
A low moan of delight escaped Kagome. It felt wonderful to have him fill her. She admired the look of ecstasy that crossed Inuyasha's face. Kagome rested a hand onto his cheek, brushing her thumb across it. For a moment, she would revel in the bliss that being joined with Inuyasha brought. Pulling him down to her, Kagome captured his mouth with hers. She lifted her hips to meet him and encouraged him to move.
 
The kiss was hungry. Their tongues wound together, joining as their hips were. Inuyasha set a steady rhythm, pumping slowly. He palmed one of her breasts, pinching the nipple. He rolled it in between his fingers, the sensation electrifying. Kagome arched and gripped his back tightly, her fingernails digging in.
 
Inuyasha grunted and increased his pace. He plunged deeper within her, filling her completely. He kissed his mark, his tongue circling it. Kagome mewled, squeezing her legs around him. She rose to meet every thrust as their bodies danced as one. She ran his silky hair through her fingers before fisting it as pleasure flooded her senses.
 
He nipped at her shoulder, his teeth grazing her skin. His hips rocked into hers as he thrust faster and harder. Inuyasha rotated his hips while he did so, driving into her deeper. Kagome bucked underneath him, mewling in pleasure. She felt him lift her up, cradling her bottom, allowing him to change angles. He squeezed it, caressing her cheeks. Inuyasha thrust hard inside and slowed, grinding himself into her. Kagome clutched at his back, and locked her legs tight around his backside.
 
Finally, he stilled inside her and looked up, his dark eyes trained on her face. There was such awe in his expression, the passion softening his features. Kagome reached up, brushing her fingertips across his cheek. Inuyasha smiled softly, brushing her hair out of her face. He kissed her tenderly, their tongues lazily twisting together. Kagome combed her fingers through his hair, surrendering to it.
 
Inuyasha rubbed her breasts with his strong hands, gently squeezing them. He kissed her jawline, down her throat to her shoulder. Kagome gasped in delight, arching her back. She ran her fingers through his dark hair, teasing one rounded ear. Gently, she traced its shell with a finger, causing Inuyasha to shiver against her. He lifted his head, his amethyst eyes heated. Kagome continued her ministrations, teasing him.
 
Lifting himself up on his palms, Inuyasha began to pump slowly into her, his strokes long and measured. Kagome's eyes closed, allowing the pleasurable sensation overtake her. It felt so good to have him move within her. She gyrated underneath him, begging silently for him to increase his speed. Inuyasha drove himself into her harder, but continued his leisurely pace. He grunted, stroking deep inside.
 
Inuyasha began to pant and he picked up speed, his thrusts harder. He rotated his hips each time he pumped inside, making Kagome quiver underneath him in ecstasy. Her hips bucked to meet his, allowing him to push that much further into her core. Inuyasha drove into her over and over, his thrusts forceful but tender. He kissed her, his tongue plunging deep inside her mouth. He bucked hard inside, grinding himself hard into her. Kagome moaned, rotating her hips beneath him. She squeezed her legs tighter around him, holding him in place.
 
Thrusting harder inside, Inuyasha began to pump faster. He gasped softly, pushing deeper into her pliant body. A coil deep inside began to build and Kagome knew she was edging close to her climax. She gasped and threw her head back as Inuyasha thrust harder. The sensation of him moving within her drove her wild. Tighter it wound and Inuyasha's movements became frantic. The sounds of their skin meeting filled her ears. Kagome knew that Inuyasha was close as well.
 
Kagome moaned long and loud as her release overtook her. She stiffened, feeling it ripple through her entire body. His name fell from her lips in a broken gasp. As his thrusts became harder, she continued to ride out her climax. She locked her legs tighter, wanting to hold him inside.
 
Inuyasha growled and bucked hard into her before the warmth of his release filled her. He continued to thrust, his hips rotating to extend their bliss. He groaned her name, the sound full of love. Inuyasha finally stilled inside her and rested his forehead against hers. He smiled when she opened her eyes.
 
“Hey.”
 
Kagome tucked some sweaty hair behind his ear. She returned the smile. “Hey.”
 
“I think I finally know what you mean by making love.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Yeah.”
 
Inuyasha sat up, sliding from her body. He pulled her to rest into his lap. Kagome embraced him, resting her head against his chest. She closed her eyes, hearing the rapid beats of his heart. She sighed contentedly, the sound soothing her.
 
A long, sedated sigh escaped Inuyasha, and he held her close. He said, “It's hard to explain. It's more than just mating, though. There's just something different about it.”
 
Kagome looked up towards him. She asked, “What's that, Inuyasha?”
 
“I don't know. I guess it's cause I'm human, maybe.” He nuzzled his nose into her hair. “I guess it was more emotional, somehow.”
 
“Yes, yes it was,” Kagome replied. “It was beautiful.”
 
Inuyasha kissed her temple. He breathed into her ear, “Mate. Mine.”
 
Kagome lifted her head, resting her hand onto his cheek. She replied, “Mate. Mine.”
 
Silence overtook them, and Kagome rested her head back onto Inuyasha's chest. His heart beat had slowed considerably to the steady rhythm she was used to hearing. It was strong and it had a lulling effect on her. This was something she enjoyed more than anything---simply listening to her mate's heart beat. It reminded her that he had given it to her to possess.
 
Kagome whispered, “I can hear your heart beat.”
 
Inuyasha ran his hand on her back. “Oh?”
 
“Yeah.” She hugged him tight. “I've always liked hearing it. It's strong, like you are.”
 
The sound of horses thundering on the road nearby disturbed them. Inuyasha stiffened in her embrace, and a stern expression crossed his face. Although he couldn't rely on his hearing and sense of smell on this night, his instincts were still ingrained. He eased away from her and crept towards the tent flap. Glancing over his shoulder, he lowered his hand, signaling that she should get down.
 
Inuyasha poked his head out of the tent. He gasped, then pulled the flap shut. “Fuck.”
 
“What is it, Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha grabbed his hakama, pulling them on. He tugged his undershirt on in a hurry, then threw his fire rat robe on after that. He searched the tent, his eyes darting to a corner. Inuyasha snatched Tetsusaiga up and rushed out of the tent. He called over his shoulder, “Kagome, stay here. Those horses are heading towards camp. There's fucking Chandim and Grolims with them. I have to warn everyone.”
 
Kagome wrinkled her nose. Before she could ask anything, her mate rushed into the night. How did he know? Inuyasha didn't have his senses, so he couldn't have smelled them nor could he have heard them over the horses, so how did he know? Did it have anything to do with that mysterious person he argued with earlier? Did they tell him, and if so, were they trying to lure Inuyasha out on his most vulnerable night? She bit her lip, worry curling in the pit of her stomach. She wouldn't let him go off into the night alone, no matter what he said. It was too dangerous.
 
Picking up her panties, she hastily pulled them on. She slipped on her bra, adjusting it on her shoulders. She grabbed her travel dress from a blanket, untangling the sleeves and put it on. Kagome fumbled with the strings, trying to hurry. Finally, she managed to tie a decent enough knot. Next, she looked around, trying to find her bow and quiver. Kagome snatched them up and slid the quiver on her back. She slipped on her shoes and ran towards camp, hoping to catch up with Inuyasha before he got into trouble.
 
Kagome wandered into the grove, her hand out in front of herself to help her navigate. Without moonlight, it was pitch black. She crept towards what she hoped was the direction of camp. The sounds of horses charging still filled the gloom. Kagome hoped that Inuyasha had found his way alright, especially if there were Grolims amongst them. It seemed that he sometimes forgot his limitations on the night of the new moon.
 
A long, mournful howl filled the darkness. Kagome stopped, her breath hitching in her throat. Something told her that it was not a wolf but a Hound. She gripped her bow tight in one hand and quickened her pace. Inuyasha had been right, but he had put himself in such danger. If a Hound found him tonight, he wouldn't stand a chance.
 
“You're absolutely sure?” Durnik's voice asked in the darkness ahead.
 
“Yes,” Inuyasha's exasperated voice answered. “They rode past our tent.”
 
“I'll have to get Pol. She'll know how to better handle this.”
 
Nearing their voices, Kagome spotted the small flame of Durnik's torch. She joined them. “Inuyasha, what's going on?”
 
“I thought I told you to stay back in the tent,” Inuyasha replied, crossing his arms.
 
“And let you wander in the dark alone,” Kagome retorted, sticking her chin out in defiance. “I don't think so. It's too dangerous.”
 
“What's going on?” Polgara asked, emerging from her tent, a cloak drawn about her shoulders. “What's this about Grolims and Chandim heading this way?”
 
Inuyasha said, “They went right past out tent.”
 
Polgara frowned. “Durnik, wake everyone. We have little time.”
 
“Yes, Pol.”
 
The sound of pounding horse hooves neared, a few steeds emerging from the tree line. They circled the clearing, waiting. A few horses reared, neighing impatiently. Kagome slipped an arrow from her quiver, nocking it in her bow. Inuyasha moved closer, a hand on Tetsusaiga's hilt. They watched the Temple Guardsmen, wondering why they hadn't attacked. What were they waiting for?
 
A long horn blast resounded and the Temple Guardsmen launched their charge. One horse charged directly towards Inuyasha and Kagome. Before Inuyasha could reach her, the horse forced them apart. Kagome toppled backwards to land on her backside. She scrambled to her feet and jumped out of the way of another rushing horse. She glanced around, unable to find Inuyasha amongst the chaos.
 
The whistle of a sword caused Kagome to duck. She had to get out of the open. She crouched low, darting to avoid other attacks. Kagome fled into the trees, renocking her arrow in the bow. She leaned her back against the tree to keep hidden from view. She panted, trying to catch her breath. Her heart beat pounded in her ears, her adrenaline rushing through her.
 
Peeking around the tree, Kagome's eyes flicked around looking for Inuyasha. She felt panic rise inside when she couldn't spot his familiar red. There was so much chaos as the battle surged in the clearing. She wasn't certain where she'd even begin looking for him. Kagome sighed, realizing that having a long range weapon had its disadvantages. There was no way she could fight hand to hand with her bow. Her best plan would be to stick to the tree line as much as possible and circle to the other side of the clearing.
 
She stood watching the others, waiting for an opening. Durnik blocked a sword parry with his club. Near him, Garion stood protecting Ce'Nedra, his sword illuminating the night with its blue fire. A stern, determined expression crossed his face as he warded attackers away with the great blade. The old sorcerer's expression was sour as he gestured. The simple movement knocked a horse out of his way effortlessly. Polgara stood near him, her eyes searching.
 
“There's about thirty Grolims all together, father. Some are Chandim, some are not.”
 
“I'm not surprised. Temple Guardsmen are too simple to come up with something like this on their own. I assumed the Chandim were behind it.”
 
Kagome ducked back behind the tree when an arrow whizzed past. Her hands shook from the close call. She debated with herself about firing back, but decided against it. They were human beings, after all, and not demons. Perhaps it had been a stray arrow. Kagome bit her lip. Outside of her own survival, her primary concern was to find Inuyasha, not fight. The less fighting she engaged in, the better chance she had at not getting noticed.
 
She shifted slowly to another tree. Kagome wouldn't step out into the open for fear that it would draw attention to her. She peered into the gloom of the grove, finding that there was no one nearby her hiding spot to sneak up on her from behind. Sliding sideways again, Kagome moved to another tree. Hopefully this plan would work and keep her out of the battle. She was confident in her archery, but would rather not use it if unless she absolutely had to.
 
The clang of swords filled the night air behind her, followed by angry shouts. Peering around a tree, Kagome watched. She saw Garion fight back another Temple Guardsman, his sword motions quick. The cerulean blade blurred as he parried and blocked. All too soon, however, Garion managed to break through the Temple Guardsman's defenses, ending the fight. Ce'Nedra remain crouched behind him, watching warily.
 
A man in black robes stood near the old sorcerer, his hands glowing. He threw his fire ball towards Belgarath, only to have it deflected. The old man had a bored and irritated expression on his face. He flicked his wrist and the Grolim priest flew back, hitting a tree not far away from Kagome's hiding spot. The body made a resounding thwack, the sickening crunch of bones making Kagome feel slightly ill. She turned away from the sight, wanting to get away from the body as soon as possible.
 
Kagome glanced around the clearing again, making certain no one was looking in her direction. She tentatively stepped sideways, making her motions slow. She hoped that the grey of her dress would keep her hidden in the darkness. Once she was halfway there, she quickly ducked behind the next tree. So far, her plan was working. She wasn't in any direct fighting and she hadn't been discovered. If only Inuyasha had his senses, he would have found her by now.
 
She jumped when a man crashed against her tree. Gasping softly, Kagome had to clench her bow tightly to keep from screaming. The last thing she needed to do was give her location away. She stiffened, tucking herself tightly against the tree for camouflage. Her heart beat raced faster, the sound of it thudding in her ears. It had been a close call, and Kagome had to catch her breath before making her next move.
 
Easing away from the tree, Kagome moved to the next one. She wished she could go faster, but didn't dare. While some of those in the battle were her allies, she couldn't chance being seen. It would be suicide to try and join any of them. Besides, she had to find Inuyasha. She just hoped that he was alright.
 
From somewhere in the grove, a chilling howl filled the night. Kagome froze. She bit her lip, almost afraid to breathe. It sounded close, too close. Had one of the Hounds found her? There was no way she could hope to fight one off with just a bow and arrows. They were too big and too fast. Staring into the darkness, she saw eerie green eyes shifting around amongst the trees. They were moving away from her. Kagome sighed in relief, thankful that they hadn't come after her.
 
Looking over her shoulder, Kagome noticed that Durnik had joined Polgara, using his club as a defense. The sorceress had a cold expression on her face, the white lock at her left brow incandescent. A couple more Grolims stood in opposition to her, hurling energy at her. She deflected the attack easily, and it bounced into the trees. On impact, the trees burst into flames, lighting up the clearing.
 
Polgara snorted disdainfully. She said, a haughty tone to her voice, “Is that the best you can do? Must you resort to parlor tricks?”
 
There were several riderless horses. A few bodies littered the ground, but they seemed to be Temple Guardsmen or Grolims. It seemed that everyone was engaged in the fight one way or another. Garion remained near his tent so to protect Ce'Nedra. Belgarath continued to battle other Grolims as did Polgara and Durnik. It would hopefully distract their attackers from her so she could find Inuyasha. As long as she stayed out of view, she had a chance.
 
Kagome slid to the next tree. This was taking far too long. She had to make her way to the other side, and fast. Gripping her bow, Kagome decided to make a dash. She began to sprint, ducking to avoid tree branches. Stopping to catch her breath, she hid against another tree. Looking behind her, she saw that no one had taken notice of her movements in the trees. No one had attacked her, so her gamble had paid off.
 
A loud detonation filled her ears, making them ring. Peeking, Kagome saw that another tree had exploded. The fight between the sorcerers and Grolims was escalating. As she looked around, Kagome frowned. There was still no sight of Inuyasha anywhere. Maybe he wasn't near the clearing anymore. She clenched her bow tightly. Where would he go? What direction? Would he stick to the edge of the trees or use the forest as cover?
 
Another long howl permeated the gloom. The baying was answered from the opposite direction. Kagome remained still, not wanting one of the massive dogs to locate her. Being with an inu-hanyou, she knew that they'd rely on scent the most, more than hearing or sight, but she hoped the chaos would distract them, diluting the potency of her scent. It was obvious that the hulking animals hadn't entered the battle itself, which perplexed her.
 
So far, the Hounds had only announced their presence through their mournful baying. Why hadn't they attacked the camp and assisted their allies? Just what was their objective here. Kagome knew she had to be careful proceeding further into the grove. The Hounds could be hunting anyone or anything, and she wasn't certain if she was it.
 
What frightened her the most was that they might be hunting Inuyasha. He had killed some of them in the battle on the road on their way to Mal Zeth. It had happened just before his last human night. Were they here for revenge? Kagome felt her breath hitch in her throat. Something told her that Inuyasha had been their target from the beginning. It would explain why the Temple Guardsmen had swarmed the clearing and why they had made certain to separate her from Inuyasha. The entire battle had been a diversion to get to him.
 
Kagome gasped. She remembered Belgarath's story from earlier in the evening. They weren't getting involved for a reason. Those Hounds were sending signals to one another. It had been exactly like the horn blasts in the Battle of Vo Mimbre. She wondered exactly what they meant. What were they signaling? Were there more reinforcements in the area to come yet? Were they there to exhaust those fighting back at the camp? It was obvious that they were after Inuyasha, and it became paramount that she find him before it was too late.
 
Throwing caution to the wind, Kagome began to run. She would search for Inuyasha for as long as it took. She held up her skirt with one hand, her bow and arrow in the other. Something told her that she didn't have much time. Whatever their objective was, Kagome believed that they would implement it soon, and that it wouldn't be to Inuyasha's benefit. She thought of the mysterious person Inuyasha had argued with earlier. Had they flushed him from the tent on purpose and were they in on the plot?
 
Kagome ran faster, stumbling on undergrowth in the grove. She panted, unconcerned about her own safety. Light branches scratched at her face and arms. They snagged her dress and she had to stop, tugging the fabric free. The sound of it ripping reached her ears. It was inconsequential. All that mattered was getting to Inuyasha. In her heart, she knew that he must be in danger. Inuyasha was a good fighter even in human form, but she knew the Grolims could easily overpower him. She had to run faster.
 
She toppled forward when her foot caught on something. Her bow slid away and her arrows scattered out of her quiver. Kagome grunted, spitting out dirt. She sat up, resting her hands onto her knees. She must have caught her foot onto a root in the darkness. Feeling around with her hands, she searched for it. Kagome pulled her hand back when something sharp pricked her finger. She stuck it in her mouth, the tangy iron taste filling it.
 
With her other hand, Kagome carefully patted the ground. She wrapped her hand around the root, and began to pull. Toppling backwards, she gasped. She held the item close, feeling it with her hand. It felt familiar. This was no tree root. It was something else entirely. Kagome caressed it, knowing exactly what it was. It was Tetsusaiga. Inuyasha must have dropped it along the way. Had he left it as a sign for her or had he been forced to drop it? He wouldn't ordinarily discard the sword in such a manner, even if it didn't respond to him when he became human.
 
Kagome clutched the sword in her hand. She held it to her forehead, determined more than ever to find Inuyasha. She set it next to her, gathering her arrows and bow up again. Kagome slid the sword into her quiver, so her hands could remain free. Kagome knew she had to be heading in the right direction. Where Tetsusaiga was, Inuyasha couldn't be far away. She nocked another arrow into her bow. This time she wouldn't be afraid to fire. Not if it would protect Inuyasha.
 
“Thou shalt be a suitable sacrifice,” a guttural voice snarled. “Thy heart wilt please almighty Torak.”
 
Shuddering, Kagome realized she had stumbled upon some of the Grolims performing their grim religious rites. She slowed her pace, not wishing to alert them to her presence. She wondered if the Hound's signals had anything to do with this gruesome ceremony. Maybe they had only so long to perform it and they couldn't risk having any interference. Despite her aversion to the horrible event about to unfold, Kagome found herself unable to look away.
 
“Prepare the sacrifice for the rite,” the voice commanded.
 
Kagome crept closer, her curiosity tugging at her. She couldn't see the victim through the robed men blocking her view. Oddly, there didn't seem to be any struggling. It didn't make any sense. Why wouldn't they fight back? Did they want to be sacrificed? Had religious fervor overtaken them and they welcomed this gruesome end? Kagome couldn't imagine being so zealous. Maybe the victim couldn't fight back. Either way, the spectacle sickened her, and yet, she couldn't turn away. It was as if a spell had been cast.
 
A case was opened, and a long, wicked knife was revealed. The Grolim leading the sacrifice lifted it up, the brazier's fire glinting off of its polished blade. He moved to stand by the altar, outstretching his arms. His steel mask turned the color of blood from the glowing fire. The Grolim priest looked up and began to chant, “O, hear us Dragon God of Angarak! We present to thee the most holy of sacrifices. Tonight, we do as thou commanded us all those centuries ago. We offer thee a human heart to show thee our devotion. Although our human hearts are impure, cleanse us with our most holy of rites!”
 
The other Grolims chanted in response, bowing their heads. They stood in prayer for a moment, the silence deafening. Kagome watched in sick fascination, unable to look away. These Grolims disguised butchery as religion. She usually was willing to be tolerant. Usually she could see the good in others, but there was just none to be found here. These Grolims weren't human. No human being could do this to another and retain their humanity. Kagome seethed inside. How could anyone call this holy? How was taking another human life divine? These Grolims were nothing more than monsters.
 
“Grant us thy favor, Torak, as we renew ourselves in thee. We await thy return in all thy glory.” The Grolim paused, staring up into the night sky. “We shall be with thee forever and ever, performing this rite until the end of days. It is an honor to have thee as our almighty Lord. We beseech you to hear our prayers and lift our heavy hearts.”
 
Again, the other Grolims bowed, murmuring their prayers of thanks and devotion. They moved in a circle around the altar, swaying as their religious fervor overtook them. Kagome could glimpse the victim, but only bare legs and arms. The altar looked as if it had been hastily erected, but not unused. She could see dark red streaks on its side. Kagome felt sympathy for those that had met their grisly ends on it, and indignation at those who would do such a thing to another person.
 
“O, almighty Torak, we have a perfect sacrifice on this night. We can only ask that it please thee.” The priest raised the knife high. “We feel closer to thee when we adhere to the traditions of our faith, almighty Lord and God. May thee accept our sacrifice and welcome him into thy embrace. Know that we all desire to one day be in thy divine presence and grace. We shall continue to worship thee until the end of days.”
 
Kagome felt disgusted. She had seen enough of this. Slowly, she crept by another tree. While she wanted to save the poor soul about to be butchered, she had to find Inuyasha. She couldn't linger here if she was going to do that. Carefully, she stepped, trying to make certain not to snap any twigs or rustle any of the underbrush. It was a difficult task in the darkness. Once she was far enough away from the clearing she could pick up her speed again.
 
She took her next step, only to rustle some leaves. She froze, staring at the Grolims gathered around their grisly altar. None of them stopped praying or glanced in her direction. She sighed in relief, thankful that her misstep hadn't cost her any cover. Ducking against a tree, she watched a little longer, trying to make absolutely certain that no one would come her way. She moved sideways slowly, inching along to rest against another tree. Getting past this small clearing would be the most difficult.
 
“Almighty Torak, witness our unending love to thee. May thy presence be with us as we present to thee this heart.” The Grolim priest chanted long and loud. “It is our joy to serve thee and in return we hope thou wilt be pleased by us.”
 
The dark priests of Torak chanted zealously, swaying. They raised their arms in supplication to the night sky. Again, they circled the victim trapped upon the altar. As they went around, each Grolim bowed once to the altar and then again to the priest holding the knife. Still, Kagome couldn't see the person they intended to sacrifice. Their macabre dance obscured any view.
 
The Grolims pulled away from the altar. Kagome gasped, her eyes wide in horror. There was a man on the altar, naked. He lay spreadeagled, his back slightly arched. There did not seem to be any bonds holding him in place, but it was clear that he had been immobilized somehow. He did not thrash, nor did he cry out. It was Inuyasha. His expression was defiant, but she could see the terror in his violet eyes.
 
Inuyasha's midnight hair cascaded down the altar in tangles and pooled onto the ground below. His hands were clenched into tight fists above his head. She could see the sweat on his brow, glistening. His breathing was heavy, evidenced by the rise and fall of his chest. Inuyasha's eyes roved around, staring at his captors. He bit his lip, obvious that he would not give them the satisfaction of screaming. He was helpless to defend himself against these monsters as they had subdued him.
 
The priest said, “Thy heart is pure on this night, vile half-demon. Thy blood shall flow upon this altar to satisfy our Lord and King, the almighty Torak, in retribution for killing our brothers. We were told that thou wouldst be the perfect sacrifice on this night, when the evil demon taint within faded and thy humanity emerged. Tonight, thy heart shalt burn sweetly in tribute to our divine Master. Our justice is swift and righteous, and thy sins unforgivable. Prepare thyself to perish and prepare thy soul to meet holy Torak. In his hands thy final judgment rests.”
 
An immense rage boiled within Kagome. How dare they do this to her mate? They were treating him no better than an animal led to the slaughterhouse. The longer she stood in shock, the angrier she became. These Grolims were evil. They were monsters. There was no forgiveness in her heart towards these vile creatures. Their religion was an abomination and she wouldn't let them sacrifice Inuyasha to it. They would pay for this.
 
A vast energy welled up inside her, fueled by her fury. She would not stand idly by and let them get away with this. Even if it killed her, she would do whatever it took to save Inuyasha. Her anger focused into one intense focal point. She had never wanted to purify anything so badly as she wanted to purify these Grolims at this very moment. Their evil actions stirred such indignation within her. They would not be able to complete their sacrifice. Not this night and most certainly not this victim.
 
Kagome leveled her arrow directly at the Grolim holding the knife. She felt her spiritual power flow down from her into the shaft of the arrow, infusing it with her wrath. These Grolims had hurt her mate too many times. First, they had turned Inuyasha's mind against him, twisting his emotions to their vile whims. It had nearly broken him. Now they were threatening him on his most defenseless of nights. It was inexcusable to what levels they would sink. In Kagome's mind, they were no better than Naraku with their evil manipulations.
 
Lining the arrow up directly with the priest's chest, Kagome's hand was steady. There was no fear in her stance. She was not nervous or uncertain. Kagome knew that once she fired this arrow, there would be nothing to stop it from hitting its target. She would hit the mark. Kagome's eyes narrowed as she held the bow string taut. She loosed it, the sound of the arrow whistling through the air. It flew in a perfect line, straight for its intended target.
 
Just as the Grolim Priest started to lower the knife to sacrifice Inuyasha, the point of her arrow pierced his chest. He stiffened, the knife falling harmlessly from his hand. Blood gurgled from the mouth of his mask and he slowly began to sink to his knees. The other Grolims looked around, trying to locate her. Kagome shifted to another tree so they couldn't spot her.
 
“Who's there? Who fired that arrow?” One Grolim priest asked, his voice thundering. “How dare you interfere with our holy rites! You shall pay!”
 
Another Grolim shouted, “We know you're there. We can find you, and them perhaps you can be fed to a hungry Hound.”
 
A radiant pink light swelled into the clearing. Kagome had to shield her eyes as it expanded. The other Grolims huddled to the ground, distracted by it. It seemed to be coming from the arrow protruding from the priest's chest as Kagome's spiritual power released. Finally, it exploded. The light filled the clearing, obscuring it from view. The light was so stunning that Kagome had no choice but to look away. She had never seen her spiritual power be so potent.
 
There were howls of agony from within the clearing. Kagome glanced back over her shoulder, squinting. The light was so intense to look at, but she wanted to see what was happening. She could see dark shadows hidden inside it. Shielding her eyes, she could make out the Grolims as they cowered on the ground from the power her arrow had unleashed. Her spiritual energy had never lasted this long, nor had it ever been so immense. All Kagome could hope for is that it didn't harm Inuyasha.
 
As the dust settled, all that remained was the altar and Inuyasha. The only evidence that the Grolims had ever been there were piles of ash scattered throughout the clearing. Even their robes had been purified. She saw atop one of those piles rested the long knife they intended to use to sacrifice Inuyasha. Kagome's shoulders slumped and she sighed in relief.
 
Stumbling slowly into the clearing, Kagome sunk to her knees a few feet away from the altar. All of her earlier adrenaline seemed to flow out of her body. The energy firing that arrow had taken had completely drained her. All that mattered was that she had found Inuyasha and the he was alright. Everything else was of no consequence.
 
Inuyasha rushed towards her, crouching into the dirt. He said, concern in his voice, “Kagome---”
 
Kagome closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She whispered, her voice sounding weak even to her ears, “You dropped Tetsusaiga.”
 
Inuyasha's arm slid around her, and he pulled her against his chest. He rocked her slowly, stroking her hair. He laughed softly, kissing her temple. “I knew you'd find it.”
 
Easing her tired arms around his torso, she buried her face into his chest. She felt her emotions overtake her. Tears filled her eyes and she sobbed softly. If she had waited too long to find him, she would have been too late. They would have taken Inuyasha away from her. They would have sacrificed him. She wouldn't have been able to live with herself if that had happened.
 
Inuyasha rubbed her back. “It's alright, Kagome. I'm safe. Thanks to you.”
 
Kagome took deep breaths, trying to calm down. She felt so weak, her energy spent. She slumped in his arms, weariness overtaking her. She whispered, before falling into unconsciousness, “I told you it was too dangerous for you to go out on your own tonight.”