Crossover Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey to the City of Endless Night ❯ Chapter One Hundred ( Chapter 100 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I do not own either Inuyasha or the Belgariad/Malloreon series. Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi/VIZ and the Belgariad/Malloreon belongs to David Eddings/DEL Rey. There is absolutely no profit being made from this story. It merely fulfills a curiosity of mine---and a desire to keep some really old friends around for as long as possible. Please do not sue.

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here:
https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.

“Where am I? It's so dark. Where's Inuyasha? I'm scared.”

Kagome fumbled her way through pitch darkness. She cautiously ran her hands across cold stone, following its edge. Her fingers ached as the first signs of frostbite took hold. Kagome clenched her teeth to keep them from chattering. The bitter wind cut through the wool of her dress, chilling her to the bone.

“So cold. Never gonna be warm again,” Kagome whispered, blowing into her hands.

She glimpsed red eyes in the gloom, watching her. Their predatory gleam struck terror into Kagome. The malevolent demonic aura connected to them slithered around her, its tentacles tethering themselves to her heart. Kagome knew that these eyes belonged to Naraku.

Kagome needed a place to hide---and fast. She couldn't face Naraku alone. She needed to find Inuyasha.

In the distance ahead, Kagome spotted a ruddy torch. Its dim light shone like a beacon of hope. Kagome glanced over her shoulder, noting that the red eyes had crept much closer. A jolt of panic shot through her. Lifting her skirts, Kagome broke out into a sprint, the firelight her guide.

Behind her, she heard a frustrated growl.

Kagome muttered, “Need somewhere to hide. Can't face this without Inuyasha.”

Ahead, the torch bobbed, moving further away.

Kagome prepared to shout, the words caught in her throat. She didn't want to give away her position to some other unknown enemy lurking in the dark. Instead, she ran, determined to catch up with whoever had the torch.

The torch cast eerie shadows on the stone wall around her. The closer Kagome got, the more distinct they became. They danced and flickered, mocking her with their strange shapes. Out of the corner of her eye, she swore she caught a glimpse of a tentacle-like shadow. She dismissed it, figuring her imagination had to be playing tricks on her.

The shadowy figure stopped, their back to her. The firelight drained the color from their clothes, making them blend into the gloom around them. Their posture remained rigid, their shoulders squared.

“I---I don't mean to bother you, but I seem to be lost and I could use some help,” Kagome said, rubbing her hands together. She bit her lip. “You---you wouldn't happen to have another torch that I could use?”

The figure slowly turned their head, a sinister smile gracing their pale face. The shadows dancing across their features made their cruelty beautiful. The fire glinted off of their eyes, making them glitter like blood red rubies. Thick wavy black hair billowed around their ethereal visage. The shadowy figure turned completely, exposing their identity---already guessed in the silence of Kagome's heart.

“Certainly, I do,” Naraku said, his baritone like honey. “You really shouldn't be out in the dark all alone like this. One never knows the monsters you might meet.”

Kagome backpedaled away, gasping in horror. “Y---you!”

“Me.” Naraku stepped closer, towering over her. He swept his eyes over her. A rich, satisfied chuckle escaped his throat. The vile half-demon glanced over her shoulder, peering into the gloom. “Oh. I see. You thought that I was the one in pursuit. How fortunate for you that I'm not. Makes you wonder, though. Just who is chasing you, girl?”

An ominous growl reverberated from the darkness. An aura of rage crackled around Kagome, causing her own to flare.

“Run, girl. I suspect you won't like what happens to you if you're caught,” Naraku taunted. “Run---while you still can.”

Kagome trembled at the thought of Naraku's latest incarnation. She dared not face it alone---or unarmed. Clearly, it had to be the lurker in the darkness. And yet, this also had to be one of Naraku's traps. He wanted her to run straight into it. The vicious growling neared---making the decision for Kagome.

Kagome darted past Naraku, fleeing down the corridor. Her shoes slapped on the stones, echoing hollowly off the walls.

Behind her, Naraku chuckled darkly.

The dark aura curled more around her, tightening her chest. Kagome's hair stood on end at the back of her neck. She felt eyes stare at her hungrily. This latest incarnation didn't just seek her destruction---it wanted to possess her.

Kagome glanced behind her, her eyes meeting the glowing red ones in the gloom. She pushed herself to run harder. One of her shoes snagged a loose cobblestone and Kagome careened forward. She landed heavily on her stomach, the wind knocked out of her in a whoosh. Her palms stung, sticky with blood. Her heartbeat thudded in her ears.

Slowly, Kagome pushed herself to sit up, leaning against the wall. She braced herself, standing on shaky feet. Kagome breathed deeply, pulling in as much air as possible. She had to keep running, even if her bruised body ached and demanded rest.

Kagome pulled away from the wall only to be jerked back as fabric ripped. Her skirt snagged on a sharp stone, impeding her attempt to flee. Kagome gripped the fabric, tugging on it. She whispered, “Gotta keep running. Can't let him find me. Have to find Inuyasha.”

Bunching the skirt into a tight fist, Kagome yanked hard, the wool tearing. She squeaked as it ripped free, the force tossing her onto her bottom. Scrambling to her feet, Kagome ran down the corridor, turning a corner.

Without the light of Naraku's torch, Kagome found herself plunged back into darkness. She squeezed her arms around her middle, the cold penetrating all the more now that she had torn her dress. Tentatively, Kagome stepped forward. She thrust one hand in front, blindly feeling her way. The cold stone felt slimy under her fingertips.

Little by little, Kagome crept along the wall, hugging it. It stood as her only guide. She used it as a windshield, trying to retain what little warmth she had. Squeezing close kept her in the shadows---and hopefully out of view. The torturous pace worried her, however. The longer it took her, the more likely Naraku's new incarnation would catch her.

The wall abruptly ended, causing Kagome to stumble forward. She gasped, trying to steady herself. The pitch black encased her, making Kagome claustrophobic despite the now empty space she warily tread into. Its weight pressed down on her. Kagome hugged herself, taking in deep breaths.

“Please. I'm so scared. It's too dark here. Where's Inuyasha?”

A pit formed in her stomach, causing it to clench painfully. Nausea swelled and Kagome swallowed to keep it at bay. She breathed deeply through her nose, keeping the sheer panic to a minimum. Kagome swayed, a bout of lightheadedness overcoming her. Squeezing her hands into tight fists, she pushed it away. She clenched her teeth, digging deep for fresh resolve.

Behind her, a triumphant growl filled the darkness. In the distance, glowing red eyes trained on her with a predatory gleam.

Startled by their proximity, Kagome ran into the darkness, her caution tossed aside. She clutched her skirt, bunching it tightly into her hands so to flee faster. Kagome ran harder, her lungs burning from the effort.

On the horizon, Kagome spied a small fire, its light only a dot in the inky night. After the run-in with Naraku, she hesitated to see this light as a hopeful sight. Even so, she had little choice and veered towards it, praying that it'd bring her safety.

As she neared the large bonfire, a figure rose, their silhouette blocking it. They stood stiff, their tall frame lithe. She sensed a powerful demonic aura, making her skin tingle as her own aura flared. In their stance, they seemed primed to attack with deadly elegance. At the fire's edge, Kagome skidded to a stop, hugging herself.

The figure approached with grace in their long stride. As the fire reflected around them, an ethereal face emerged from the shadow. Silver hair took on a ruddy cast, brilliant scarlet streaks highlighting through the long tresses. The magenta markings took on a darker hue, etching deeper into the pale face they adorned. The fire made gold eyes flare momentarily, adding to the power this being exuded by sheer presence alone.

“Little sister,” a deep resonate voice stated.

“Sesshomaru? How---what are you doing here?”

The Demon Lord stepped closer. He peered into the darkness, a stern expression crossing his face. He snorted. “This Sesshomaru has been waiting for you. It is unsafe.”

“You were waiting for me?” Kagome's brow wrinkled in confusion. “Why? How did you know I'd come this way?”

“This Sesshomaru knew you'd flee this way.” The Demon Lord picked up a stick, stoking the fire. Sparks leaped from it, leaving a trail of red-hot embers in its wake. “What this Sesshomaru fails to understand, however, is why you would run from your mate, little sister.”

“From Inuyasha?” Kagome glanced over her shoulder, spotting the scarlet eyes watching her from a distance, just outside the scope of the fire. “I---I don't understand. I thought that was one of Naraku's incarnations.”

“You can't fault her logic, Sesshomaru,” a dark voice interjected. “She may have been running away from me---and I may have told her the one in pursuit was rather dangerous.”

Naraku stepped into the firelight, the shadows dancing across his face. A triumphant smile twisted his lips. His red eyes bore into her, glittering like polished rubies. The dark hanyou stood, his posture defiant and his arms crossed.

“This Sesshomaru is not surprised that you would deceive, vile hanyou.”

“You wound my pride, Sesshomaru.” Naraku gasped, putting a hand to his chest. He said, “I stand by my statement. The demonic aura coming from Inuyasha---it is nefarious at best. I'd hate to think what he'd do to your little sister if he should capture her.”

“No---you're wrong!” Kagome shouted. She clenched her hands at her sides and stomped her foot. She scowled at Naraku, her temper rising. “Inuyasha would never hurt me.”

“Are you sure about that?” Naraku purred. “I seem to recall several times that he's hurt you, girl.”

Kagome flinched as if struck. “It---it wasn't like that!”

“It wasn't? Are you sure?”

“Silence, hanyou.” Sesshomaru stepped closer to Kagome. “Do not listen to him, little sister.”

The Demon Lord turned to face Naraku, his aura flaring. His silver hair, stained a brilliant copper by the firelight, billowed around his face. His elegant features took on a feral appearance as his stripes elongated and his golden eyes flashed scarlet. Menacingly, he clutched the hilt of Tokijin in his fist.

“This Sesshomaru would like to point out that the incident you refer to happened only because of your interference, you worthless creature.”

“Aren't we touchy, Sesshomaru-sama? It amuses me, however, to hear you argue in favor of your half-breed brother. I didn't realize that you were so sentimental under that facade.” Naraku chuckled softly. He held his hands up in supplication. “I'm just stating facts. It's also not the only time he's hurt her, either.”

Sesshomaru snorted indignantly.

“You're wrong. Inuyasha's never hurt me---you did! You made him do it! You tortured him!” Kagome shouted at Naraku.

“So all the times he ran after Kikyo never once hurt you, hm, reincarnation?” Naraku sneered at her. “Or the constant danger he places you in---all so he can acquire a completed jewel, eh, shard detector?”

“It's---it's not like that!” Kagome said, her voice vibrating with rage. “We mean way more to each other now. We love each other---something you'd never ever understand.”

“Or perhaps you're who he settled for---to replace the one he can never have.”

“Enough taunting, hanyou.” Sesshomaru withdrew his sword, leveling it at Naraku. “What is it that you want? What do you hope to accomplish with such an obvious ploy?”

“Ploy?” Naraku laughed, holding his hands up, his palms exposed. “There is no ploy, Sesshomaru. I'm merely giving voice to all of your little sister's buried resentments. I'm giving her a chance to stick it to Inuyasha for all the times he's hurt her.”

On the edge of the fire, a feral and transformed Inuyasha stood, growling softly. He smirked upon spotting Kagome, his elongated fangs gleaming in the firelight. His red eyes flared with fresh power, the blue irises glimmering. He twitched his ears, exposing his agitated state. At his sides, he clenched and unclenched his hands, his longer claws reflecting the ruddy light. They appeared to drip blood. He raised one in an imploring gesture, taking a step towards her.

“Protect yourself, little miko,” Naraku said. “He'll kill you---and while I'd relish the anguish he'd suffer, your death is mine.”

Suddenly, a bow and arrow manifested in her hands. She instinctively pulled back the string, nocking the arrow. Kagome felt disconnected from her body as she swiveled, pointing the deadly tip at her mate's chest. Her arms trembled from the strain, the bowstring digging into her skin.

Inuyasha stopped, his hand falling to his side. His ears sagged in defeat. He scowled, his expression confused and then angry. He bared his fangs at her, growling softly. Anguish and betrayal flashed in Inuyasha's eyes, the scarlet taking on a darker hue.

“Don't come any closer,” Kagome said sharply. She kept the sharp tip of her arrow centered on his chest. She prepared to loose it, meaning to enchant---or kill---Inuyasha. Her spiritual power swelled, engulfing the arrow and bow all at once. Its brilliant rose dazzled as it fluctuated.

Images of all the times Inuyasha had hurt her flew by, overwhelming Kagome. She felt the sting of a thousand insults---weak, stupid, shard detector. She recalled all the fights over Shippo---and how no matter what, Inuyasha resented her for the strife between him and the kit. Kagome remembered the screaming matches over her education---and how useless it was. She smarted from the times he'd leave without a word to see Kikyo---preferring the other woman over her. Kagome's ego still stung from the time she saw the pair embrace---and even more for Inuyasha's lack of understanding as to why it had bothered her so. Each memory stuck out as an indictment on their relationship---and how too often Inuyasha had gone out of his way to hurt her.

Each one numbed her. Each one bruised her psyche. Recoiling away from them, Kagome retreated into her mind. She wanted---needed---distance from their darkness. Unfortunately, Inuyasha's face filled her vision. His boyish and vulnerable expression melted into an irritated scowl. It morphed again into a mask of rage. Red bled into his eyes, making him feral. He snarled at her, spittle dripping from his longer fangs. He raised his hands, fitting them around her neck, squeezing.

“This is for all the times you said sit, bitch.”

Kagome gurgled, unable to breathe. Her eyes went wide with fear. Her hands frantically clawed at his wrist, the tough skin impenetrable. His claws dug into her throat, small wells of blood oozing between his fingers. She couldn't fight back---couldn't reach him so to stop this brutal assault.

“You'll never ever use these fucking beads on me ever again, right bitch?” Inuyasha lowered his head, sucking on her pulse point. “You shot me with that arrow. You left me to die. You'll pay, you worthless bitch.”

Kagome thrashed, the words stabbing deep into her heart. She hadn't shot him, had she? His hands disappeared from her throat. The air rushed in. Once again, she stood with her bow drawn, the arrow trained on Inuyasha. Confusion and betrayal marred his transformed face---and yet love not hate swirled in the depths of his crimson eyes. He remained still, his head slightly bowed---almost in submission.

Kagome wavered, uncertain that her mate truly stood as her adversary.

“Fire your arrow, miko. Before he chokes you as he did before,” Naraku barked. “You know he meant it---that he'd punish you for all of those sits.”

“You mustn't listen to him,” Sesshomaru said sharply. “Naraku lies. He turned your mate against you then---don't let him do the same to you now.”

Kagome's arms ached from keeping her bow taut for so long. She glanced at Sesshomaru from the corner of her eye. The Demon Lord's impassive expression melted into one of compassion. He held up his hand, the gesture imploring. Slowly, he approached, his aura crackling against hers. Somehow, its demonic energy soothed her. It blanketed her with its strength, insulating her from her anxiety. Rather than smother her own aura, Sesshomaru's gently brushed against it, exuding patience. It gave Kagome clarity.

Slowly, Kagome lowered her bow, her spiritual powers ebbing away.

“You foolish girl. Inuyasha will kill you. He's done it before---and yet you fail to learn,” Naraku snarled. He gestured wildly towards Inuyasha. “Look at him! He has no control. He's no better than a rabid dog. You'd be granting him a merciful death. It'd free both of you.”

“Before?” Kagome's brow furrowed in confusion.

“He cut you down once before, reincarnation---all for the Sacred Jewel,” Naraku said, his words slithering into her ears. “It was his claws that tore you apart---sent you into a lonely afterlife with no justice. For what? For his own power.”

“No---Inuyasha didn't. It wasn't him,” Kagome whispered meekly.

Flashes of a terrifying and unfamiliar moment skittered across her mind. Claws brutally ripping out her side---a dark chuckle---the cruel crushing of her hand by a familiar barefoot---the cruel smirk of a boyishly handsome face. Each seemed an echo from another life left behind like an imprint. Had this been one of Kikyo's last moments?

The fear, anger, and betrayal overwhelmed.

“Look again, girl. Don't let him do it again.”

With trepidation, Kagome's eyes shifted back to Inuyasha. His lip curled back in a vicious sneer. So little of his humanity remained in his face. His eyes flashed, the demonic power in their red depths feral. He gnashed his elongated fangs, growling savagely. He seemed unrecognizable---any vestiges of the Inuyasha she loved long gone. In his place stood a monster---one ready to finish what he had started back at the inn. He would finish what he had started in that clearing---the killing blow from her former life.

Kagome raised her bow, nocking her arrow forcefully. Inuyasha would not cut her down this time. The sharp point glinted from the fire---as if it cried out for blood. From there, her spiritual power ignited, the rose brilliant.

“Stay back!” Kagome cried. “Don't come any closer. You're not my Inuyasha. Not anymore.”

“Fire your arrow, miko. Do it!”

“He lies, little sister,” Sesshomaru said. He stepped closer, his aura soothing her own. “Look behind the deceit. Your mate is still there. This Sesshomaru promises you.”

Kagome wavered. She lowered her bow. She blinked, seeing a strange duality cross Inuyasha's half-transformed face. On it, a vulnerability bloomed. In the wild expression, Kagome discerned an abiding love. His sharp features softened, revealing the boyish innocence. Even with the fire making his markings appear dark and sinister, they couldn't mask his humanity.

“Inuyasha?”

At the sound of his name, Inuyasha lifted his head, his calculated gaze landing full force upon Kagome.  Recognition flickered there. He took a hesitant step forward, one of his hands outstretched towards her.

“Kill him!” Naraku shouted. “Save yourself!”

At this shout, Kagome glanced towards the spider hanyou. The intense urgency cast his expression into a mask of hate. Looking back towards Inuyasha, Kagome fixated on his outstretched hand. The lethal claws glinted from the firelight, reminding her just how deadly they truly were. Instead of the gentle approach, she saw him lunge for the kill.

Instinctively, Kagome raised her bow, pointing it straight at Inuyasha's heart. She wouldn't die. Not like this. She wouldn't watch her mate turn into a mindless killer. Inuyasha was better than that---more compassionate than anyone she had ever known. Kagome refused to let the man she loved lose his human soul. If it meant having to purify him, Kagome was prepared to follow through.

“Good girl. He deserves to die. He has always been the monster  you see before you. You finally see,” Naraku cajoled. “Fire your arrow.”

Inuyasha stopped, his ears sagging in defeat. He growled, the rumbling sound turning into a plaintive whine. The transformed half-demon clenched his hands into tight fists at his side. Even in this feral state, he seemed ready to die by her hand---even when he hadn't done anything to truly warrant it. Sadness dulled his red eyes.

Kagome hesitated yet again. What Naraku said and what she saw before her did not match. The Inuyasha he described didn't exist---he couldn't. Yet, she still felt the brutal grip of his hands around her throat. The burning in her lungs didn't ebb. The harsh words betraying her stuck out in cold relief. What if his submissive stance was a ruse?

Perhaps she had never known Inuyasha at all.

“No!” Sesshomaru shouted. “You must not! He is you mate. Your bond to him is everything. It is the truth that shines through Naraku's dark lies. Hold your fire, little sister.”

“I think that you've overstayed your welcome, Sesshomaru-sama,” Naraku said, his dark voice menacing. “The girl must sever all ties to your bastard of a brother. If she doesn't, she dies. You wouldn't want that, would you?”

The dark hanyou held up his hand, his palm outstretched towards the Demon Lord. He expelled a black cloud of miasma, blanketing Sesshomaru. Naraku's vile aura swelled, polluting the area. It smothered everything, nearly strangling Kagome with its evil. The cloud solidified, taking on an onyx sheen.

In its aftermath, Kagome noticed a void. The Demon Lord's aura had buttressed her own. It had soothed her panic. Sesshomaru's stoic presence had provided her clarity. Only the smallest of a sliver remained tethered by the thinnest thread. As the black miasma hardened, it snapped, leaving Kagome truly alone.

“Please! Don't leave me. I can't do this alone, Sesshomaru!” Kagome cried.

“He can't hear you, girl,” Naraku taunted. “It's just you and me---and Inuyasha. You have to see him for who he really is: a monster. He corrupted you. You must purify him in order to purify yourself. You resist my words---but deep down, you know that I'm right.”

Kagome's eyes shifted towards Inuyasha. She gasped, horrified by the monster that stood before her. His aura flared a bright crimson. Its tendrils swirled around her, crackling. Her aura sizzled, trying to push his away. Frustrated rage flooded her---and the impotence and blood-lust poured off of Inuyasha. It polluted her, making her flesh crawl. Kagome stared at his twisted face, the inhuman evil written all over its wild expression. Hunger, lust, hate, and darkness cast shadows over him---they darkened his markings and made his aura thick. He snarled viciously, his elongated fangs taking on a ruddy cast from the firelight. His scarlet eyes flashed with fresh power---a predatory triumph gleaming in them.

Any semblance of love shriveled and died in Kagome's heart.

She had been duped all this time. He had never really loved her. Inuyasha had only wanted to corrupt her. He saw her merely as something to possess. If he couldn't defile Kikyo, he'd settle for her instead. Inuyasha had betrayed her---he had led her to believe he could love---that he was good. Had he laughed at her behind her back? Had her foolish naiveté been another prize to win? It stabbed deep into her heart---the sheer knowledge that everything had been a beautiful lie.

Mostly, Kagome hated herself for falling for it.

Kagome raised her bow, pointing her arrow directly at Inuyasha's chest. Her spiritual powers swelled, encasing her entirely in their holy fire. One shot would end it. Just one. She'd never have to endure another lie. He'd never choke her as he did in that inn. His feral demon couldn't pollute her---she'd be free.

All she'd have to do is loose this arrow.

“Kill him,” Naraku whispered, standing behind her. His hot breath tickled her ear. “Kill, Inuyasha!”

Kagome drew back the string, her eyes following the arrow shaft straight to Inuyasha's heart. Her arms trembled from the tension, needing to make this shot perfect. If she missed his heart, it would be for naught. Inuyasha would kill her---and she'd be defenseless.

“Kill him!”

The black aura around Sesshomaru swelled, pulsing. Evil wisps snaked from it, curling around Kagome, mixing with her spiritual powers. It tarnished the brilliant rose, making it dull. Vengeance, rage, and hate infused her arrow.

“Kill him now! Kill Inuyasha! Do it, girl!”

The onyx aura pulsed again, taking on a rhythmic quality. It became its own heartbeat, shimmering as it expanded. Suddenly, a large fissure emerged across its surface. It shattered and the Demon Lord's aura flooded over Kagome. It obliterated any trace of the black aura---destroying the poisonous tendrils Naraku had infected her heart with.

“See the truth, little sister. Do not let Naraku's corruption mask reality. Your mate loves you. You love him. Never forget that,” Sesshomaru said calmly. It contradicted the fiery expression on his face, his gold eyes shimmering with raw power. “Your bond can triumph over Naraku's lies.”

Sesshomaru's puissant aura wiped the film from her eyes. Kagome blinked, gasping as she saw Inuyasha---truly saw him. The half-demon stood, his arms thrown wide and his chest exposed. Resignation and resolve filled his transformed face. Inuyasha clearly prepared to die by her hand---accepting that she must do this to save herself. Inuyasha would die willingly in order for her to live. He loved her so much. His love's purity overcame her.

“Inuyasha,” Kagome whispered. “I trust you with my life.”

Kagome swiveled, firing her arrow directly into Naraku's chest. The flare of her power blinded her as it radiated out from the center. Naraku howled in frustration and agony. His hair billowed up as his aura combated her spiritual might. Little by little, he disintegrated, disappearing---all but his face.

“This isn't over, miko. I will break  your bond.” Naraku vanished with a howl of fury.

Kagome tossed her bow down, rushing to Inuyasha. She hugged him tight, burying her face into his chest. His arms wrapped around her securely, the long claws stroking her hair.

Finally, Kagome felt safe and whole.

The firelight, Sesshomaru, and Inuyasha all dissolved. Kagome's eyes opened and she found herself staring up at the tent fabric, shadows dancing on its surface. It had all been an elaborate dream.

She licked her chapped lips, her mouth dry. Her body ached all over. Her energy felt sapped. Kagome's limbs tingled, heavy and numb.

“Did anyone get the plate number on the truck that hit me?” Kagome asked, her voice raspy. “I'm so thirsty.”

Water splashed into a cup. A gentle hand cradled her head, tilting the glass to her lips. Once she had had her fill of the cool liquid, she lay back, her eyes closed.

“What's a truck? Make sense, wench,” Inuyasha said, his voice rough.

“Never mind.” Kagome laughed softly. She opened her eyes, a hazy image of Inuyasha's half transformed face coming into view. Kagome gasped. “Inuyasha?”

“I'm fine.” A gentle hand tucked some strands of hair behind an ear. Inuyasha bent down, kissing her temple. “What matters is that you're okay.”

Kagome tried to sit up, only to have a graceful hand placed on her shoulder.

“Lie still, little sister. Don't exert yourself.”

“Sesshomaru?” Kagome sighed, placing a hand over her eyes. “But I clicked my heels three times, just like you said.”

“Are you sure that she's alright, little brother?” Sesshomaru asked, an amused lilt to his voice.

“Seriously, you two. What happened?”

“Naraku's newest incarnation, that's what,” Inuyasha said.

“Oh. Is that all?” Kagome asked softly.

She shifted her head, a burst of sweet fragrance floating around her. She inhaled deeply, its honeyed aroma penetrating deeply into her lungs. The aches and pains started to subside. The fog on her mind slowly lifted. A velvet touch brushed her cheek. Kagome plucked a lavender blossom from the vine crowning her head. She buried her nose into the lopsided flower, taking strength from Adara's Rose.

“Is that all?” Inuyasha asked, his voice strangled. “Wench---,”

“You killed my baby!” Ce'Nedra screeched. She thrashed on the pallet nearby. “I hate you!”

“That's what happened to you,” Inuyasha whispered. “She's poisoned by the Hound of Naraku.”

Black spidery lines criss-crossed Ce'Nedra's pale face. She thrashed wildly on the sleeping pallet, crushing the vines of Adara's Rose that wove around her head. The Rivan Queen kicked at Garion, trying to shove him away. Her wavy coppery hair spilled around her face, the torchlight reflecting its burnished color. Pain marred her face, her nose wrinkled and her eyes squeezed shut. Ce'Nedra trembled, shrinking away from her husband.

“It's not working, Aunt Pol,” Garion cried. He held the Rivan Queen down by the shoulder. “What do we do?”

“Patience, Garion. You have to give it some time,” Polgara said. She blew her white lock out of her left eye, exasperation written all over her face. “Have patience.”

The sweet honey scent filtered through the tent. Its clean fragrance wrapped around Kagome, washing away the remnants of Naraku's poison. Adara's Rose, with its summer aroma, reinvigorated the young miko. Clarity and peace settled over Kagome. She breathed deeply, pulling more of its delightful scent into her lungs.

Kagome knew exactly what she had to do.

Slowly, and against both Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's protests, Kagome stood. She crossed the small space of the tent, kneeling next to Ce'Nedra. Wordlessly, she eased the woman's head into her lap. The Rivan Queen thrashed wildly, whimpering. Kagome cupped Ce'Nedra's face in her hands, her thumbs brushing strands of hair from her temple. The now familiar icy tingle filled her hands, and Kagome's rosy aura flared to life.

Kagome needed to submerge herself into Ce'Nedra's poison-induced nightmare. Unable to explain---even to herself---she knew that this was the only way to break the Rivan Queen free. She concentrated, following the tendrils of the Hounds infection until she could immerse herself enough to reach the stricken woman directly.

Darkness clouded her vision. In the haze, she spotted the tiny figure of the Rivan Queen. She outstretched her arms imploringly towards a still body, just out of reach. The crumpled form rested at an awkward angle, sandy blonde tresses stained red. Clearly, the small child had been brutally murdered, left to rot. Ce'Nedra raged at an unknown and unseen figure. She screamed shrilly, the feral sound full of agonized sorrow.

“You killed my baby! I hate you!”

Kagome needed to break her from the nightmare. She called upon more spiritual power, her rosy aura penetrating the shadows. It started to swirl against them, waging a battle for dominance.

Kagome called, “Wake up, Ce'Nedra.”

“My baby is gone!” Ce'Nedra shouted in rage, viciously tearing at her coppery locks. “He's dead because of you!”

“No. He's not. This isn't real,” Kagome said gently. In the dream-scape, she stepped closer to the Rivan Queen. Her aura pushed the darkness aside, causing the illusion to waver. She placed a gentle hand onto Ce'Nedra's shoulder. “Look at me.”

“No!” Ce'Nedra flinched away, her back stiff. Her head bowed and she shrunk upon herself, wrapping her arms around her middle. It made the already tiny woman appear that much smaller and vulnerable. “He's gone. My baby's dead. Leave me alone.”

Kagome stepped closer, peering into the gloom. She couldn't spot the figure lurking behind the still form of Geran. It must have said something cruel because Ce'Nedra wailed, the sound anguished. She shook her head vigorously, backing away.

“No! No!” Ce'Nedra buried her face into her hands. “My baby.”

“Ce'Nedra. Wake up,” Kagome called. “This isn't real.”

Kagome placed her hand onto Ce'Nedra's shoulder, trying to infuse some of her spiritual power into the Rivan Queen. Instead, the older woman howled, breaking free to run towards the still body. She collapsed to her knees, her small hand hovering over the little boy's blonde hair.

“Geran---no. Please. He's dead.” Ce'Nedra whispered. She rocked herself. “My baby.”

Kagome knelt next to her. She had to wake Ce'Nedra fast. The poison darkened more of the dream-scape. If she didn't snap the Rivan Queen out of this, she would die. Kagome let more of her spiritual energy flow into her hand. Deftly, she backhanded Ce'Nedra, snapping her attention away from the image meant to drive her mad. Upon impact, the illusion dissolved, leaving the two women alone.

“Wake up, Ce'Nedra.”

The Rivan Queen's eyes flew open, staring up at Kagome, her face twisted by grief and horror. The black lines etched into he skin faded away, receding as Kagome's power purified the Hound of Naraku's taint. Ce'Nedra breathed shallowly, her panic rising. She thrashed, struggling weakly against Kagome's grip. Once the last vestiges of the poison evaporated, Kagome let go.

Garion cradled his weeping wife close, rocking her slowly. He said, his voice hoarse, “Thank you.”

Kagome nodded in acknowledgment.

Polgara said, “I see that Inuyasha was right. Only you could cure this. I'm glad Adara's Rose helped.”

“It did. Thank you, Lady Polgara.”

Kagome stood, turning to face the inu brothers. Both stared at her with wonder in their golden gazes. Worry lines crinkled Inuyasha's forehead. His ears rose high on his head, twitching. A shadow of vulnerability ghosted across Sesshomaru's face, making his usual angularity seem boyish. A liquid sheen of emotion flickered across his golden gaze.

Their open gawking weirded Kagome out.
“What? Do I have something on my face?” Kagome asked, taking a step towards them. “You're staring, you two.”

The Demon Lord engulfed her in a crushing embrace. Kagome squeaked, startled by his overt display of emotion. Sesshomaru had never hugged her before; she had always hugged him first. Even so, his form grounded her, solid and strong. Kagome found protection in his grasp---and a weight lifted from her shoulders.

“Sesshomaru?”

Sesshomaru's claws gently threaded through her hair and he tenderly kissed her temple. He buried his nose into her hair a moment, inhaling deeply. The Demon Lord tucked a bloom of Adara's Rose behind one of her ears. He whispered, “Thank you.”

“For?” Kagome hesitantly eased her arms around him. She tilted her head up, searching his face. She had never seen it so bare, the sheer love written across it startling her. Relief flooded his eyes as she looked up at him. Tentatively, Kagome reached a hand up, brushing one of his stripes. She bit her lip, whispering, “But I didn't do anything.”

“But you did.” A soft chuckle rumbled from Sesshomaru's chest. He cupped her hand against his cheek. He said, his voice thick with emotion, “Thank you for being my little sister. That's enough.”

Check out my dreamwidth journal for more information on updates and review responses. It can be found here: https://farawayeyes4.dreamwidth.org/Note: This story updates the 17th of EVERY month.