Crossover Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ K a z o k u ❯ prologue ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I make no profit from this story; I don't claim ownership of any of the characters I borrowed from various sources and no copyright infringement is intended. Inuyasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi and Naruto belongs to Masashi Kishimoto.
 
Warning: May contain spoilers and OOC. ALTERNATE UNIVERSE. If you hate it, please don't read it.
 
 
prologue
 
Once upon a time, in an alternate universe far away from Konohagure, there lived a miko who had a grand adventure to re-form a broken jewel and vanquish evil. She traveled with her pack which consisted of a monk, a demon slayer, a half-demon and a little fox demon. The bonds between the pack members were tight, yet there was a very special bond between the little kitsune and the miko.
 
Some would even say that the miko was like the little kit's mother.
 
Years passed and countless of obstacles later, they finally re-formed the broken artifact but none was the wiser for the events to follow. The restored jewel finally went back to its protector with whom it was born within and when their quest to vanquish evil came to fruition, the miko and kitsune were forced to part from each other.
 
Even the Fates wanted to weep at what had to happen but weren't allowed to intervene.
 
Separated by time, mother and son pined for each other for the rest of their lives. The kit never forgot the kind human girl who loved him for him without any prejudices, and the miko never forgot the little kit who had always been her first born.
 
Even during the last days of the miko she remembered her little kit, and nobody would ever find out about how her soul glowed when she departed.
 
Both mother and kit may be no longer with the living, but the ties that bond can never be broken, even after death.
 
♥
 
The view riding on top of a gigantic frog was magnificent. He always felt exhilarated whenever he was on top of Gamabunta but he didn't have the luxury of appreciating the view right now. This wasn't the time to stop and smell the roses.
 
Cape billowing in the wind, he knew he looked cool even as he squinted against the sandstorm the giant nine-tailed demon fox was creating.
 
Where the heck did it come from?
 
He mentally shook his head; he couldn't afford to be distracted. One misstep, one miscalculation and the village might end up razed to the ground.
 
No, he should concentrate. The jutsu he had in mind was new, never tested, but he didn't have time to worry about inconsequential things like his life when so many others were at stake.
 
Innocent civilians and brave shinobi were dead or dying. Now wasn't the time for distractions.
 
He would do this. He could do this.
 
He was Hokage. Just a few minutes ago, he became a father.
 
Sacrificing his life for the sake of the village was the greatest way to die for a shinobi, and it was enough. Yes, it had to be. His son will forgive him. His son will grow up to be the best ninja ever and carry on the family tradition of defending the village against intruders.
 
It was enough.
 
He took a deep breath and relaxed his mind. The jutsu was tricky and now wasn't the time for distractions, the mantra was repeated in his mind but - “What the heck is that!?”
 
Gamabunta's eyes crossed when he tried to look at the human perched between his eyes. “What the heck is what?” Gloved hands pointed in the direction of the Kyuubi, that much he was able to see. “It's a giant nine-tailed demon fox that is bent on destroying your village,” the giant frog boss took a little puff from his pipe. His human was more laid back than he thought if he could still crack jokes.
 
“I'm not blind, thank you; I can see the giant demon fox that's laying waste to my village,” Arashi replied as they hopped closer to the demon.
 
Shinobi who had been engaging the demon cheered as they saw their great Hokage come to their rescue. “The Hokage is here, fall back to a safe distance and wait for orders!”
 
The bodies of the dead and injured were quickly hauled away as they fanned out.
 
“I meant that thing,” gloved hands jabbed at something atop the nine-tails “There! Can't you see it? Something's riding on top of it.” He must be hallucinating. Maybe knowing that one was going to die did that to people.
 
Gamabunta humored his human and squinted to have a look.
 
“Do you notice that pink thing on top of it?” The question was whispered now. Without the squads of shinobi harassing it, the Kyuubi had gone deathly still as he faced off with the human on top of the giant frog. “It's miraculously balanced on top of it, near the Kyuubi's tails. I think it's moving. Can't you see it?”
 
“What are you talking about?” He was a frog for crying out loud, not a damn eagle. And the smoke from his pipe was getting in his eyes. “I don't see—“
 
Gamabunta never got to finish his sentence when the pink thing on top of the Kyuubi's back let out a wail that broke through the tense silence.
 
“Holy -!”
 
“Exactly!”
 
“Is that what I think it is? What the heck is that?”
 
“That's exactly what I was thinking!”
 
“And I thought you were just seeing things.”
 
Arashi wanted to glare at his summon but dared not to take his eyes off of the demon who resumed snarling viciously at them after the bundle on his back wailed.
 
The ground trembled as the Hokage and summon prepared to attack.
 
♥
 
The Kyuubi has been defeated; Sandaime Sarutobi was sure about this. But at what price? He had an uneasy feeling about allowing the Yondaime to face the Kyuubi alone, but the ruling Hokage insisted he stay in the village “just in case”.
 
“If I fail, you're going to be Konoha's last defense. Please take care of my son.” Those were his successor's last parting words.
 
It didn't sit well with him but it was the right thing to do. He felt like he was sending his successor to his own death but he had no choice. Arashi's wife died birthing their son earlier today and he didn't want to add any burden to the grief the man was already feeling. He knew he could trust the Yondaime's decision.
 
He was a wise leader. He knew what he was doing.
 
He silently prayed his younger successor didn't do anything stupidly heroic like sacrificing his life though. If it were possible, as much as possible, he didn't want the newborn to lose both his parents on the same day.
 
The gathered elders noticed the grim look on the Sandaime's face as the newborn infant cried. None of them made an attempt to calm him down and a seal none of them recognized appeared on the boy's bare stomach before it looked like it was absorbed into his skin. Fox-like whiskers emerged on his chubby cheeks then, inciting gasps from everyone assembled.
 
“What's happening?” A council elder was perplexed. He opened his mouth to ask another question but was interrupted.
 
“Sandaime-sama!” A member of the ANBU Black Ops rushed into the room, out of breath. His clothes were bloody and tattered, his mask hung askew on his face but Sarutobi recognized him as the ANBU he assigned to personally inform him of the outcome. “The Yondaime has—“
 
The dread didn't have a chance to settle in the Sandaime's stomach.
 
“Sarutobi-sama!” A streak of white and yellow burst into the room. He was carrying a bundle of pink in his arms and a wide grin on his face.
 
The relief that Sarutobi felt made his old knees buckle. If he were a weaker man he would've wept with joy. “Thank goodness!”
 
“Yondaime-sama has defeated the Kyuubi!” Whoops of joy from the outside could be heard all the way to the somber room, lightening the heavy atmosphere.
 
Despite the number of casualties, it was a huge accomplishment and they took a moment to give thanks before tending to the injured and burying the dead.
 
“Yondaime-sama has saved Konoha from certain destruction!”
 
Baby Naruto was startled from his earlier crying and he opened big blue eyes inquiringly. He didn't understand the mixed emotions in the atmosphere.
 
“Hey little guy, did you miss me?” Arashi walked over to his son and tenderly caressed his whiskered cheeks. His eyes clouded as he silently apologized to his son.
 
Baby Naruto blew him a raspberry in response.
 
“I'm glad you came back in one piece, Arashi. I was afraid you…” Sarutobi's aged throat constricted at the thought.
 
His student's student understood. “I almost didn't,” he smiled sadly. “I thought I was a goner.”
 
“You must be tired, so you can give us a full report of what happened tomorrow if you want,” Sarutobi kindly offered. “If the council can't wait until tomorrow, I'm sure one of the shinobi who fought alongside Arashi can give you a partial report tonight.”
 
The council was bursting with curiosity but saw how fatigued their Yondaime was. They sighed and reluctantly agreed.
 
A council elder cleared his throat. “Excuse me for asking but might I inquire who that is, Yondaime-sama?” He pointed to the forgotten bundle of pink in Arashi's arms.
 
Arashi smiled in response and approached his son's crib, bouncing the curious little being in his arms. “Naruto, say hello to your new sister.”
 
The room quieted to give the family a moment. New sister? Where did Arashi get the baby and when did he have time to get a new daughter tonight?
 
Baby Naruto cooed and reached for the pink bundle in his father's arms. The Yondaime gently set his new daughter beside his son, noticing that even though they were different hues, both his babies had beautiful blue eyes.
 
“I think they've taken a liking to each other already,” Sarutobi remarked. He was itching to know the details of why, how, who and what but he respectfully kept his questions to himself for now. Their hero Yondaime obviously needed some space and time to spend with his new children.
 
Baby Naruto held his baby sister's hand in his and it looked like he was trying to hug her at the same time. Naruto, not even a day old, was already brimming with curiosity. The baby girl in turn yawned and allowed her new brother to poke and prod her to his heart's content. Long lashes touched the cherub's chubby cheeks when she closed her eyes and went to sleep.
 
“She looks like a little angel,” one of the council elders couldn't help but say.
 
The proud father smiled, “She is; she's my guardian angel. If it wasn't for her tonight, I don't know what would've happened.”
 
“What are you going to name her?”
 
Arashi paused for a moment. “I think I'll name her Kagome.”
 
♥
 
Notes: You should try reading the second chapter before making up your mind. Thanks for the reviews.