Crossover Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Reason And Accountability ❯ Sense of Smell ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
NINE

 

The surroundings hummed. There were a lot of electrical fields. The mana was thin, barely present. A voice blared in Japanese over various loudspeakers, making it even harder to understand. The echoes died away bouncing off metal walls. I rose and wandered, stepping into a corridor.

“I just don’t understand. Why can’t I smell anything?” said a man’s voice. The smells of an active kitchen were strong, from onions and broth to meats being prepared and spices for noodles and big vats of steaming rice. It was the future, but sort of not? Even more retro than Evangelion’s Tokyo 3. Characters had shoulderpads and hair that was very upright, and short. The guy in the apron, stained by yellow turmeric and grease was the one complaining about smell.

“What’s up?” I asked the man. My voice was light and I noted breasts. Apparently I was sleepwalking as a woman this time.

“My sense of smell is so weak I can’t even smell stuff I know should be really strong. Even pickles and onions. Its so faint. I have no idea what to do. If I can’t smell things, I can’t cook.”

“Maybe you need a cleansing licorice tea. My mother swore by it when it was cold season,” I thought quickly. I searched the huge spice area for licorice drops and poured him a tea from an urn, adding three drops of concentrated licorice to the tea. It reeked, at least to me. I handed it carefully to … Tenkawa the uniform said, with pilots wings above the name.

He sipped it. I stood behind him and cast Heal Other on his noggin. Looks like a concussion damaged the part of his brain responsible for smell. That would be crippling for any cook. By the time he finished the tea he commented.

“Wow, that did the trick. I can smell again. Thanks Harumi!” he sounded very happy. The speakers called for Tenkawa to Conference Room 6 for pilot meeting.

“Oops. Gotta go!” he said, taking off the apron and tossing it into the laundry hopper before speeding away.

I wonder if fixing someone’s sense of smell is a major deal?

[and so it was that Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness NEVER HAPPENED]