Crossover Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Reason And Accountability ❯ Across! ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
TWELVE

 

It was the best of times… it was Fukuoka in the mid 90’s. The City of F, in the Prefecture of F was a bustling metropolis. Its money hadn’t yet run out. It was still offering lots of construction jobs because it was one of those times when they were still doing that to stimulate the economy, selling bonds to old ladies and building stuff with the money. This time I’m in the body of a small bottle blonde, with all my clothes having shoulder pads. They were both uncomfortable and looked silly. On the next futon was a pretty brunette with blood leaking from her mouth. She coughed herself awake after a long delay. Her name, from the hosts memory, is Hyatt. I cast Heal Other on her right away and her cough eased and the bleeding lungs stopped bleeding though they looked diseased and would probably start again.

There was a problem being in this body. It craved caffeine. This being before Barstucks got to Japan, we just have crappy burnt coffee from the old 1970’s machines and a pot had started brewing on a timer. I poured myself a cup and drank it. It was awful. And I was really awake now. Filled with energy. Energy to earn money and pay my dues to Across!

What is Across? It’s a largely failing club run by a sociopath with even pointier shoulder pads. He mostly sits around in his throne room doing nothing but give orders to Hyatt and I to attack this or build that or steal this or sabotage that. And the plans always failed. They were obviously bad plans, and Excel, my host, routinely praised them, even when it killed her. For some reason, both my host and Hyatt often died, then something called the Will of the Macrocosm brought us back to life. Probably because they afterlife didn’t want us. We were involuntarily alive? This is a lot different from immortal. Our deaths were usually painful and frequently violent. And often, our leader laughed at us, or chastised our incompetence for dying so easily. Excel needs to find another place to hang out. Across sucks, but she’s devoted out of love for the leader, which makes no sense until you realize she’s literally in love with him.

On her next death I left the scene to my former host and hoped I wasn’t coming back here again.