Crossover Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Reason And Accountability ❯ Eyeballs ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
THIRTEEN

 

I awoke to total darkness. My hearing told me there were people around me, and I wasn’t tied up or blindfolded. I cast Heal and focused on my eyesight, realizing the optic nerves were both damaged and not fully developed. My eyes began to see light, and my brain struggled to interpret new signals it had never seen before. More focus between eyes, optic nerves, and visual cortex. Gradually I got grey and white blotches and then slowly color bled in as the cells finally finished developing. I think my host’s mother was probably a drunk. The damage looked like the sort that would come from fetal alcohol syndrome or some other poison combined with it. Eventually I fixed all the damage, including burnt feet, which were bare. I looked around, blinking.

“Wow,” I blurted out. There was a pair of teenagers with dark hair and slightly dark skin. We were all sitting within some kind of padded wooden gondola atop a furry thing I realized I could hear breathing. I turned and looked over at what my host referred to as “twinkletoes” and found an arrow tattooed bald head looking back at me. He was a boy. Not yet a teenager. Then again, I wasn’t a teenager in this body either.

“You can see? How did that happen?” he blurted out.

“Spirits,” I responded, waving my hands around. The two darker teens peered at me, coming out of their bored funk.

“Huh. So that’s what clouds look like?” I said, changing the subject. We were also flying, way up in the sky.

“It’s a miracle!” exclaimed the girl. She lunged at me to stare into my eyes, looking back at her. Hers were blue, very blue, which is pretty odd, but okay.

“What color are my eyes?” I asked.

“Brown. They’ve been milky and clouded all the time I’ve known you. You just suddenly got to see?” she confirmed.

“Yes. Must have been The Spirits, working in mysterious ways,” I suggested, gesturing. The older boy looked thoughtful. His name was Sokka. I think my host rather liked him, which is why she kept teasing him with relentless sarcasm.

“You know, this means we have to teach you how to read,” pointed out Sokka. “This also means all those great blind jokes I’ve been saving will never get used. I feel kind of cheated.”

“Don’t worry Sokka. If we meet any other blind people we can use them. I’m sure I’m not the last blind person you’ll meet in your life, after all. Maybe we should learn some Stupid People jokes instead. Those are everywhere.”

“Oh yeah, stupid people… wait. Are you making fun of me?” he suddenly asked. I grinned.

It was a good day. I wonder how this will change the story of this band of child-heroes?