Crossover Fan Fiction / Neon Genesis Evangelion Fan Fiction / Tenchi Muyo Fan Fiction ❯ Reason And Accountability ❯ By Haruhi! ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
SEVENTEEN

 

Another unfamiliar ceiling. And a cute little sister, not my own perfect Komachi, but still a nice little sister. I washed my face and dressed for school, noticing some bad scars. I healed them and some internal damage, scratches on my rib cage. Fairly serious injuries badly healed. Properly dressed, I prepped breakfast with my new sister and noted some scars on her too. I cast Heal Other on her and removed a bunch of really bad claw marks, like you’d get from being mauled by a bear. Wow. In a modern Japanese apartment that’s pretty seriously odd, very disturbing. The walk to school found a girl dancing around in a bunny girl outfit and being ignored by the other students. Huh. I approached her and she stared back at me.

“It seems you can see me,” she finally said.

“It’s a cute look, and inspires all kinds of attention, but other than the Haruhi reference, why are you doing that?” I asked her.

“Right now you’re the only person who can see me,” she responded. She wasn’t lying. Nobody was paying her any attention.

“So selective invisibility is a thing here, huh?” I asked out loud.

“It seems so. It started a year ago, but it’s been getting worse,” she admitted. “I used to be a model and movie star, but now people can’t see me or remember me. Getting food is hard, and I don’t want to steal, but they don’t notice me to sell it.”

“That sounds very annoying. Considering how much of you I can see in that one piece swimsuit, I’m willing to believe you’re a model. Want to date me? I’m literally the only guy in the world who will pay you attention.” My Hachiman grin put her off, but she sighed.

“Ordinarily I would say no because that smile is repulsive, but I suppose you have a point. I’m Mai Sakurajima. Don’t you have to get to class?” she asked me. The bell rang. Dammit.

“C’mon, follow me. I’m Sakuta Azusagawa. You go here too, right, Mai-san?” I asked her. She admitted this was so. I changed shoes at the lockers, noting a couple love letters and a couple challenges to duels. Probably by rivals. Sigh. Japan’s school system remained trapped in Medieval ethics, protecting bullies and demanding compliance. It was a small wonder there weren’t more people killed in retaliation.

Classes were kind of amusing as the “empty desk” beside me was full of my girlfriend writing notes back and forth. She smelled nice. Her stomach grumbled with hunger. When a break came I slipped her one of my onigiri and she settled down, even if it wasn’t quite enough. At lunch I bought some food to supplement lunch so we’d have enough to eat, and we went to the roof. It was crowded, but nobody seemed to notice me talking to her, part of her selective invisibility.

After school we went to the grocery store and I bought some food using her money and then helped her get home to her apartment and restock her fridge and pantry. I even delivered her rent check to her landlord, explaining I was helping her out because she was out of town working but should be back soon. This mollified the busybody running the building and took care of potential eviction. I eventually realized I had a new spell so I cast Cure Disease/Curse on her and there was a pop after a minute or so.

“I think you had better change into regular clothes now,” I suggested. “You are probably not invisible anymore.”

“You can do that? What are you, the Imagine Breaker?” she asked, confused. References. Our culture is referential. Of course she’d be a fan of Railgun.

“Fuuko dah!” I exclaimed. I excused myself and waited outside for her to emerge in some nice casual clothes. The apartment super greeted Mai and asked about her work and they had a short conversation.

“Thank you, Sakuta,” she said, then kissed me. I kissed her back. She was a pretty girl. Even if she reminded me of a certain redhead I’d married once, not so many days ago. All these lives were confusing. I used one of my 108 skills and projected lust and gratitude to Mai, then excused myself.

“I’ll see you at school,” I promised.

My little sister was waiting for me at home, wearing a robe and looking cross.

“What did you do?” she demanded. “And who are you?” I sighed.

“Did you want to keep those scars for your wedding day?” I asked her. She grumped more.

“No.”

“So is being healed really a problem?” I asked her.

“How did you do that?” she demanded. She was smart to figure out it was me. That my being just a little off was a huge red flag to her.

“Eh. I’m a spirit, just visiting. I’ll be gone when I sleep tonight. Your brother will return, rested but probably a little confused at the lost day. He’s got a girlfriend now, Sakurajima Mai. She’s a minor movie star and model, is in his class at school. He’s done her a solid favor, so she likes him now.”

“You mean YOU did her a favor,” she corrected.

“Me, him. Whatever. She’s a nice girl, very pretty. Having some troubles. Lives alone. Don’t be mean if she visits,” I suggested.

“Hmph!” she complained, very tsundere. Then she hugged me.

“Thanks for healing me. This will make some problems I was worried about not matter anymore. Like explaining scars to my future husband.”

“You’re welcome, little sis. This world is weird.” I cast the cure disease/curse spell on her and popped whatever lingered, then on myself before bed. It is possible I derailed whatever plot was looming for the three of these people, but whatever. It’s not like that could be a bad thing, right?

Sleep was welcome. It has been a long day.