Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Of Gods and Men ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

…. Yeah, the pace of this fic moves pretty fast, ne? ^^
Disclaimer: Ohba and Obata own Death Note. J.K. Rowling owns Harry Potter. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me. Don't steal or sue! *Phantomness bows*
Chapter 7
 
Almost three months passed in relative silence as Light and Mikami studied and practiced. Light idly wondered what was going on in Japan with Kira no longer operating, but that was not his main concern at the moment.
The Japanese Task force was very concerned, and so was the SPK in its own way. Light had been missing for three months, Misa's apartment had been discovered in shambles, and Matsuda hoped fervently that Kira-supporters hadn't found out Light was L and killed him, though that hope was growing dimmer as time passed.
Near doubted that such was the case, but Takada Kiyomi had stopped broadcasting messages from Kira, and Kira had stopped killing…
It was curious.
Was Yagami Light laying low to try and prove his innocence?
Curious and curiouser…
 
“Well?”
Mikami gave Light an adoring look, as they gazed at the newspapers spread in front of them.
Face after face winked up at them, and Light had warded the room with the strongest privacy spell he could currently muster.
Mikami flipped open to a clean page in his Death Note, a slow smile spreading across his face.
“Sakujo.”
“Sakujo.”
“Sakujo.”
By the time Mikami had finished, the life spans of Death Eater after Death Eater had winked out, and now…
The threat would be much less.
 
Professor Dumbledore met them the next morning, wearing the most furious expression Light had ever seen on his face.
“What did you do?”
“I thought you were at war with the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters.” Light said softly. “Since you have provided us with so much, we were simply returning the favor.”
“You killed all of them…”
“They would have gotten the Dementor's Kiss in Azkaban.” Light pointed out reasonably. “Eventually. At least this way it was quick and they only suffered for a few seconds. Besides, I left Snape. He's supposed to be your spy, isn't he? So he's safe.”
“You killed Pettigrew then, didn't you?”
“Mikami did.” Light said, almost proudly.
The prosecutor gave Dumbledore a pointed glance. “He was torturing children… do you condone that here?”
“I do not approve of murder of any kind!” Dumbledore roared. Magic sparked and hissed around him. Light felt his own magic flare in anger, violent red, while Mikami moved in front of him. Mikami's aura was an interesting color, a violet so deep it was almost black.
Royalty, perhaps, or loyalty
“I will not let you harm him.”
Dumbledore almost laughed. Who did this Muggle - well, all right - man think he was? He'd only known about the Magical World for three months. Did he think he could protect himself, much less his lover?
He was angry with them, furious yes, but…
If they truly had the power to kill from a distance, it would be worthy to use against Lord Voldemort's forces.
No, he did not truly regret their deaths. Dumbledore was altruistic, yes. He fought for the side of Light. Only terror and chaos and absolute anarchy would descend should Voldemort take over, but even so…
Such power…
If it turned to the Dark Side, who knew what would happen?
 
Mikami's eyes blazed ruby-red, Shinigami red. “Touch him,” He said, “And I will kill you, Dumbledore.”
“And then you will leave the world in a state of destruction.”
“It will not stay that way for long. Lord Kira will purify the world.” Mikami said confidently.
“Then the Death Eaters were correct. You are Kira.”
“No,” Mikami said, a faint smirk playing at the corner of his lips. “I am only Kira's loyal servant.”
 
Light gave Dumbledore a smile. It was a risk, revealing him self like this, but there was no way Near would obtain this confession, so…
“Dumbledore-san.” He said pleasantly. “We were only attempting to help. You cannot deny that we have weakened the forces of darkness.”
No, try as he might, Dumbledore could not deny that.
“Are you planning on killing Voldemort also?”
“If possible.” Light shrugged. “The world would certainly become much safer, don't you agree? But Dumbledore-san, please do not think we are on your side. Should you attempt to … betray us, well… that would not be wise.”
His eyes were a sick shade of red, Dumbledore noticed, and that smile…
 
“Harry James Potter… isn't it?” Light continued. “It would be such a shame for the Wizarding World's Chosen One to die so young… or how about your talented spy, Severus Snape? We work for justice, Dumbledore-san. It would not be wise to try and stop us.”
Dumbledore could feel the rage bubbling up beneath his blue eyes, no longer twinkling, but hooded and angry.
“You would not… kill children!”
“I would not enjoy doing it.” Light agreed. “But if you stand in the way of my utopia, Professor Dumbledore, I will have to take steps.”
“What do you want then?” Dumbledore ground out.
 
“This war of yours - so many innocents would die.” Light said pleasantly. “Wouldn't it be simpler if this Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters were eliminated, once and for all?”
“You want information.” Dumbledore said.
“Quite right. Wouldn't your Wizarding World be much safer?” Light said, smiling. He twirled his wand idly in his fingers. “It would help keep your precious students safe, wouldn't it? And they deserve to die, don't they? Wouldn't a quick end help better, considering that the Dementors… well, they're no longer loyal to the Ministry, are they? How will you guard Azkaban without them? I did see the article about that breakout. Quite shocking, but then again… you should rest easier knowing that most of them are six feet under, shouldn't you?”
Lucius Malfoy was one of the ones who lay dead. Mikami had recognized his photo as one of the masked men, so now, well, his wealth wouldn't help him…
Voldemort's human servants had been severely depleted. It was a pity that the Death Note would not work on Dementors, or reanimated corpses, or any matter of the dark creatures they had read about, but they would manage somehow.
It was only a matter of time until they learned the magic necessary.
Dumbledore exhaled slowly, a defeated sigh, and nodded.
He only hoped that he had just not made things worse.

End Chapter
Started 7/21/07
Completed 7/22/07
… If Light were like Hermione, yeah, he would have magic. But I need to give him some handicaps, so… ^^ I'm going to prevent him from being able to use the Unforgivables!
I don't like Dumbledore very much. He can be awfully manipulative…
I hope Light and Mikami were IC! *Waits*
And I just realized that timeline-wise, this fic screws with canon since a few of the Death Eaters I mentioned in earlier chapters were still in Azkaban when they were erm, hunting Mikami. Oops!