Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Twisted Workouts ❯ Awkward Moments ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Read, Review, and as always Enjoy!!
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
This fic has been beta'd by the awesome and wonderful ArmyWife22079-give her a huuuuuuge thanks for all the help she volunteered to give. Cause trust me, more than half the stuff I write is from all the inspiration and ideas she gives me, no lie.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Disclaimer- As much as I wish I did, I DO NOT own Inuyasha or NCIS, just the plot of this story and any OC's that happen to pop up! XD
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Twisted Workouts—
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Previously;
 
'Dark chuckling...flash of claws...a sadistic, fanged smirk...'
 
'Neon orange eyes, glinting with sick satisfaction in the darkness...'
 
Kagome's eyes shot open, a sob racking her body as she stumbled back and away from Kacy. "Oh my god..." she said, realizing why this whole thing seemed off.
 
'A demon!' She breathed heavily, eyes wide with horror and shock as she processed what happened.
 
Rage rushed through her, her eyes burning with fury as she glared at the air. 'A fucking demon murdered them!'
 
Suddenly, a deadly calm settled over her and she reached out to gently cover Kacy back up. She stalked her way out through Autopsy doors, two words predominate in mind.
 
'He's ash.'
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
--Awkward Moments--
As Kagome waited for the elevator to stop moving, she fidgeted like crazy. The phone in her pocket burned, and she itched to snatch it out and make the call she needed too. Sadly, being in a Federal building had some restrictions, and who knew where cameras and microphones might hide...
She'd have to settle with telling her boss first, and then make the call once she left here.
Finally, the elevator arrived at the desired floor and Kagome strode out and into the bull pen, eyeing her boss as he murmured roughly to the NCIS senior agent.
 
Kagome hovered at the entrance, waiting patiently for her boss to look over and see that they needed to talk. Her face was a mask of indifference, cold even to near passerby's.
 
Her focus was so adamantly on what she found out, she didn't even notice McGee staring at her with concern.
 
For him, he was fighting a inner battle, torn between giving her space like he really should since both her boss and his were only five feet away, and going over to ask what was wrong.
 
After a couple minutes, when it was clear the two older agents wouldn't stop talking for long, the latter won out. Pushing away from his desk, he got up and cautiously made his way over to his friend. When she didn't seem to notice his approach, he warily placed a hand on her shoulder. "Kagome? You ok?" he asked gently.
 
His touch was like a jolt of electricity and it had Kagome jumping. Eyes wide, her head snapped to McGee's direction, and she blinked when she realized it was him. "Huh?" she mumbled not so intelligently.
 
McGee offered a small smile. "Are you ok?" he repeated, squeezing her shoulder comfortingly.
 
Kagome bit her lip, hesitating only a moment before nodded. "Thank you, for asking..." she murmured softly.
 
McGee gazed at her and a indulged the bold urge to pull her into a hug. "I'm sorry..." he muttered gently after a moments silence. "About your partner..." he clarified, rubbing her back and soothing circles.
 
At first she only stiffened at the embrace, but at the sincerity of his words she melted into his arms, breathing in his musk sharply, taking comfort. "Me...too..." she replied after a moment, a soft smile playing on her lips.
 
After one last squeeze, McGee pulled back, scanning her face for her reaction. Satisfied the sadness, though not gone, was weaker, he turned to his boss and froze.
 
Both of them had turned their attention to their agents, eyebrows cocked wryly at their actions. Not only them, but Tony and Ziva were watching them with smirks on their face, only one step short from snickering.
 
McGee let out a nervous chuckle, to which made Kagome look up and see what had him on edge.
 
Kagome blinked at the stares, and had the decency to blush. "Er..." she muttered, trying to find an excuse. "We've meet before..." she trailed off at Fornell's snort. She twitched. "Not like that," she snapped sharply.
 
This only made Gibbs smirk in amusement and had McGee looking at her like she'd just grown two heads at snapping at her boss. Tony was trying to hide a grin and failing horribly and Ziva bit her lip from doing the same.
 
Fornell only smirked with a hint of smugness. "Whatever you say, Higurashi."
 
Feeling the need to clarify, he spoke. "We're sparring partners," he stopped at Kagome's wince at his words. "What?"
 
Now it was Gibbs' turn to snort. Fornell only shook his head, highly amused. "Hey, whatever you do in your spare time is none of my business unless it's illegal or it interferes with your job."
 
Kagome moaned, rubbing her face in embarrassment. "You really have no idea how that sounded, do you?" she muttered, peering up at him behind her hand.
 
By Tony's snickers, he sure did... "Is that what you two call it now?" he drawled out lewdly, wagging his eyebrows suggestively. From behind her desk, Ziva snorted.
 
McGee gaped at him, ears going red. Now he got it. He let out a groan.
 
Hoping to change the subject, Kagome turned to Fornell. "Have you decided whose case it'll be?"
 
Getting back to business, Fornell straightened. "Yes, it'll be a joint one. NCIS will investigate Kari, and us Trace. We'll collaborate anything we discover here."
 
Kagome hesitated slightly which Fornell picked up, but she nodded soon enough, giving him a meaningful look. Fornell stiffened, but no one noticed. "If it's going to be a joint investigation, I think we should have our Forensic Scientist work with us." she said purposely.
 
No one noticed how Fornell paled lightly either.
 
Gibbs shrugged. "I don't see a problem with it, but Abby might."
 
Kagome only smirked wryly. "Oh, she'll like our scientist, don't worry...I'll go pop in before we leave."
 
McGee blinked, startled, momentarily forgetting that she already met everyone save for him and Ziva. Suddenly he started to get nervous...what if Kagome found out about his old relationship with Abs?
 
He froze. What if Abby finds out his current relationship with Kagome? He swallowed down a groan.
 
Apparently he wasn't the only one thinking along those lines; Ziva was casting pitying looks his way and Tony was grinning like the cat that caught the canary.
 
Fornell cleared his throat, his expression going back to normal. "Well then, get to it and we'll head back and get to work. We'll tell Kitsunto then." Fornell ordered, secretly anxious to get out now.
 
Kagome nodded before she tugged gently on McGee's jacket. "Wanna come with?" she asked, her eyes flashing in concern when she saw how pale he was. "Hey, what's wrong Tim?"
 
Tony started snickering when McGee began to fidget and Kagome glared at him. Gibbs shook his head, realizing why he was so nervous. "O-oh, nothing. Just thinking..." he lied.
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow but didn't push. "Well?" she prodded, after she realized he wasn't going to say anything.
 
Unable to find an excuse, he nodded reluctantly. "Sure, let's go."
 
Tony jumped up, grinning. "Room for one more? I needed to bring some files down to Abby anyways." Not the complete truth of course, he just couldn't possibly pass up on this kind of opportunity.
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes. "How about no?" she retorted; she wanted to talk to McGee alone.
 
Gibbs rolled his eyes and cut Tony off before he could start another argument. Those two are like cats and dogs and he hasn't the patience to listen to their pointless bickering. "Just give the damn files to McGee, DiNozzo, and get back to work."
 
Tony pouted, "Bu Bo-yes sir!" he corrected himself at the icy glare sent his way. The pout was still there when he hand ed the file to McGee, grumbling.
 
McGee let out a relieved sigh; Tony's presence would only make everything worse.
 
--o--o--o--o--
 
The ride down to Abby's lab was an awkward one to say the least.
 
No one spoke - they didn't know what to say.
 
But Kagome knew they had little time if they restricted their talk to a normal elevator ride, so she did the only thing she could think of and picked up a trick she learned from Fornell.
 
She moved forward and flicked the emergency switch.
 
McGee gulped as the elevator halted mid-way and the lights dimmed; every time something like this happened, it was never good - it usually meant Gibbs meant to have a 'talk', which usually meant a talk-down, some yelling, and demands for an explanation. Granted, Kagome was here instead of Gibbs but the amount of tension and intimidation was still present...
 
Kagome realized if anyone was going to break the silence, it might as well be her. "So..." she drawled out lamely.
 
It was met with a response of equal lameness. "Yea..."
 
Kagome snorted in amusement. "NCIS agent, huh?" It was as good a start as any, and they really didn't get a chance to finish their conversation before Tony went ahead and put his two cents in.
 
McGee nodded slowly, staring ahead at the elevator doors. "Yep. FBI huh?"
 
Kagome returned the nod, staring at the doors as well. "Yeah. Pretty ironic, isn't it?"
 
Now it was McGee's turn to snort. "At least you're not CIA..." he muttered.
 
Kagome winced. "Yeah, they hate you guys, don't they?"
 
A murmur of agreement was made.
 
Kagome shifted uncomfortably, frowning. "It's not gonna be a problem though, is it?" Dear Kami she hoped not, she finally got to meet a nice, sweet, smart, funny man who didn't have any stalker tendencies and it would be just her luck for something like being agents in competitive sister agencies to screw it up.
 
McGee whirled around to face her. "No!" he blurted out before a second though. Ears turning red, he tried to compose himself. "I mean, no - no problem with me...unless you think it's a problem..." he trailed off uncertainly, his gaze zeroed in on her. His anxiety was nearly palpable
 
Kagome brought her gaze up to meet his, and she shook her head gently. Reaching out, watching him intensely, she linked his hand with hers and squeezed it comfortingly. "No, no problem at all." she murmured softly.
 
McGee sighed with an infinite amount of relief, squeezing back. "Good."
 
Kagome gave him a soft smile, before it faded. "It's just..." she started and saw McGee stiffen.
 
"Just what...?" he repeated warily, worried.
 
Kagome's lips twitched at his nervousness. "Well, with the case and all..." she trailed off suggestively.
 
McGee relaxed, though he looked properly disappointed. "Ah. You're right. Bad timing, I get it..." Chances were that heir bosses wouldn't even let them go home tonight...
 
Kagome nudged him. "Rain check?" she murmured apologetically, hoping to cheer him up.
 
McGee nodded readily. "Definitely." he stressed out and Kagome grinned, slinking an arm around his waist. Her grin grew when he did the same.
 
Speaking of bosses, McGee made a nervous face. "You don't think our boss' would mind, right?" he asked worriedly.
 
Kagome had to scoff. "You heard Fornell." she started dryly, leaning her head on his shoulder, secretly enjoying their embrace. "'Hey, whatever you do in your spare time is none of my business unless it's illegal or it interferes with your job.'" She mimicked in a deeper voice and shook her head. McGee chuckled softly. "This isn't exactly illegal."
 
McGee nodded. "And since the chances of us working together again is slim, so I doubt it'll interfere with our jobs anyways," he mused, propping his chin on the crown of her head.
 
Kagome let a 'hmm' of agreement. "Gibbs didn't seem to argue either. And he didn't seem irritated too, so that's a good sign."
 
McGee snorted. "A very good sign."
 
Satisfied, Kagome grinned and flicked the switch once more.
 
Every second it took to get to Abby's floor filled McGee with more and more dread.
 
--o--o--o--o--
 
While McGee was just about to start sweating in trepidation at the thought of Kagome seeing Abby, Kagome herself was bouncing in joy. Peeking her head into the doorway, she knocked on the frame, speaking. "Knock, knock!" she exclaimed, grinning.
 
Abby, who was in the middle of typing on the computer, instantly spun around at the sound of her voice. Her green eyes widened in pleased surprise. "Kagome!!" she practically skipped over to the FBI agent and glomped the woman, returning Kagome's grin full-force. "It's been so long! We really need to hang out more often!!" she gushed when she pulled away.
 
Abby looked to McGee. "I see you've met one of the new additions to the team." Turning to McGee she explained. "Kagome and I first met when we had to work another joint case, back in the day when it was just Tony and Gibbs."
 
Kagome smiled and laughed lightly; Abby's blatant enthusiasm never failed to brighten her day. "Oh, I met McGee before today. We go to the same gym."
 
Abby blinked in shock and started to laugh. "Wow, what a small world!" she cocked her head towards McGee when a thought suddenly came to her. "You know, you seem to be meeting a lot of people at the gym Timmy." She turned back to Kagome. "Did you know, he has a date with some floozy that he met at the gym tonight!" Her voice sounded properly scandalized.
 
Kagome gasped in mixed amused astonishment and intrigue, eyebrows raised. She turned her shocked stare to McGee and couldn't help but snort in laughter.
 
McGee went white and started choking however. His ears practically bled red in embarrassment. "Abby!" he hissed, eyes wide in shock.
 
Abby turned to him. "What?" she said innocently, "Who picks up a date at a gym, am I right Kagome?" She didn't think anything of it when Kagome started snickering loudly.
 
Kagome managed to calm down her laughs to ask a question that's been bugging her. "You seem awfully protective of McGee here." she said curiously, picking up on that she was missing something.
 
Abby just shrugged, thinking nothing of it.. "Well, I mean sure we dated and all, and it's over but I still care for him you know? He's one of my best friends." This caused Kagome to gawk at McGee, who only groaned in even more embarrassment. Abby didn't seem like McGee's type...hell, McGee didn't seem like Abby's type.
 
"It's just weird. There's no telling what kind of chick she is Timmy. It's practically as bad as internet dating." Abby admonished, as if talking to a child.
 
McGee moaned, cringing as Abby went on.
 
Kagome however doubled over and started howling in laughter.
 
'Well,' McGee though faintly, 'at least she isn't insulted...'
 
Abby cocked her head at Kagome. "What's so funny?" she asked McGee.
 
Could this get any more awkward!?
 
McGee shut his eyes and forced himself to answer. "Abby..." he muttered, "Say hi to said floozy I was suppose to take out tonight," he said with as much reluctance he could possibly feel.
 
And now, it was Abby's turn to gawk.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-; -;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
Words- 2,353
Another chapter done and posted. How'd I do? I figured since it went off the depressed/angst/dark end in the last chapter, I'll end on an up note for this one.
 
Poor Abby. Poor McGee lol. Poor guy never gets a break huh?
 
Well, tell me what you're thinking!! XD
 
Till next time,
RainLily^^