D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Canis Luna ❯ Good Intentions ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Warnings: YAOI, which means BOYS LOVING BOYS. If you dislike that, then the back button is easy enough to find. Please click that and leave. Possible OOC. Alternate Universe.

Disclaimer: Not mine. Wish they were, but Katsura Hoshino owns all.

Notes: Well, this fic started as a oneshot based off of Little Red Riding Hood. About two pages in, I figured out that this no longer had anything whatsoever to do with Little Red Riding Hood. >_< I hope you all enjoy!

Dedicated to SisterWicked, Niamh (both of AssHat Productions, a group I’m a proud member of), and Cackles for reading this over before I posted and giving me tips and the confidence boost I needed so I could make this fic available to the general public. All remaining mistakes are mine.

Super special awesome thanks to Niamh for coming up with the title of this fic!

Last Time:

"I guess I do," he replied. He buried his face in Tyki's chest, inhaling the man's scent. There was something intoxicating about it, though Lavi couldn't put his finger on what. Perhaps it was just the fact that the scent belonged to the werewolf?

Tyki chuckled quietly, arms tightening around Lavi.

"That's good news, Lavi. Very good news."

And Now, The Continuation:
Good Intentions

The pair headed silently back to Lavi's house, their hands clasped together as they walked side by side. The silence was companionable, filled with a warmth Lavi refused to name and Tyki basked in. They had been gone a little over an hour. Most of that time had been spent on that grassy hillside, cuddled close and talking in hushed voices.

Tyki walked him to the door and released his hand. Lavi turned towards him with a hesitant smile.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" he asked. Tyki smiled and nodded.

"Of course. Tomorrow night, then." Tyki turned to go, but Lavi reached out and caught his sleeve. The werewolf turned back, lifting an eyebrow. "Yes, Red?"

Lavi didn't respond verbally, too embarrassed to voice his request. He stepped forward, tilting his head back and asking with his eyes for a kiss. Tyki smirked and acquiesced, leaning forward to press a soft kiss to the human's lips. He pulled away after a moment and turned to leave, the satisfied smirk still in place.

Lavi watched him go, turning around to go inside only after the form of the gray wolf was no longer visible between the tree trunks. He opened the door quietly, halfway inside before he realized that something was different.

He stared at the table where a lit candle rested. He could have sworn he blew that out before he left...

"Where have you been?"

The redhead nearly jumped at the unexpected sound, whirling around to face the source of the noise. He stilled at the sight, eye widening.

"Gramps!"

Bookman stood in the shadows of the kitchen, standing so still he might have been a statue. He stared evenly at Lavi, then glanced down to the redhead's neck, eyes going wide. Lavi suddenly remembered Tyki's teeth nipping at his neck and the gentle sucking that had followed and put a hand over what had to be a visible mark.

"How long have you been awake?" Lavi asked weakly, bending over to remove his boots.

"How long have you been sneaking out at night while I was asleep?" Bookman asked shortly in return, stepping away from the shadows and into the flickering candlelight. Lavi tugged one boot off and deposited it next to the door, beginning to work on the other.

"Just these past three nights," he replied quietly. Bookman was silent while he worked his other boot off, dropping it next to its mate by the door.

"'Just these past three nights'," Bookman echoed. "With that man?"

Lavi looked up at his grandfather in surprise and a bit of alarm. He hadn't thought that Bookman had seen Tyki or what the old man had made of the werewolf if he had. Had Bookman noticed the unusual color of Tyki's skin and eyes? Had he seen Tyki transform?

Realizing that his grandfather was waiting for his answer, and seeing no way around the truth, Lavi nodded slowly.

"Yes."

Bookman narrowed his eyes.

"When did you meet him? He isn't from town." Bookman's voice was sure and steady, with good reason. Bookman knew the face of every person in town and could recognize them without fail no matter what time of day or night it was. Of course he wouldn't recognize Tyki, who had very likely never been in to town. Lavi hesitated, then answered.

"Four days ago."

Bookman's mouth twisted into a frown. He was displeased, that much was obvious. Lavi looked longingly in the direction of his bed, but he knew he wouldn't get the chance to escape to it.

His grandfather walked forward and sat down at the table, motioning for him to do the same. Reluctantly, Lavi did as told, stepping forward and slumping down into his chair.

"Tell me about this man," Bookman commanded. His tone didn't allow for any argument and Lavi knew there were few better than his grandfather at detecting lies.

"His name is Tyki," he started, then swallowed heavily. What was he supposed to say? Would Bookman believe him if he said that Tyki was the wolf who had chased him?

He fell silent, not sure how to continue. Bookman waited, then sighed.

"If you do not wish to speak, that is fine. I will not force you," Bookman said, standing. "I assume he is visiting tomorrow night as well?"

Lavi nodded, not looking at the old man.

"I will speak to him then."

The redhead looked up, opening his mouth to protest. Bookman narrowed his eyes and Lavi shut his mouth, looking back down at the tabletop. Bookman continued on his way, heading towards their shared room and shutting the door behind him.

Lavi stayed at the table for some time after that, staring blankly at the candle.

Line Break

The silence was awkward and heavy in the kitchen, causing any small talk Lavi wanted to make stick in his throat. Bookman sat in the far corner of the small cooking space in a chair he had dragged in from by the hearth. From his seat, he had a perfect view of the doorway. His eyes, however, were currently fixed to the book in his lap, squinting slightly to make out the words while his ears listened closely for the sound of approaching footsteps.

Lavi was seated in his usual chair, turned so he was half-facing the door and half-facing Bookman. Bookman's usual chair had been positioned so that it would be directly facing Bookman, just feet away from where Bookman now sat and twice that distance from Lavi's chair. It was obvious where Bookman meant for Tyki to sit when the man finally arrived.

The redhead glanced anxiously towards the door. Tyki should be arriving any moment now.

Lavi's heart sank at a sudden thought. What if Tyki had brought Road? It would be awkward enough with just Tyki and Bookman, but to have another person to witness whatever was going to take place...

Lavi buried his face in his hands, then leaned forward and smoothed his hair back before dropping his hands to his knees and letting them rest there. There was no use in worrying over it. What would happen would happen and there was very little Lavi could do to control it at this point.

A quiet knocking sound met his ears. He straightened, glancing towards the door. He could see Tyki's head silhouetted in the window and he glanced towards his grandfather. Bookman was putting a bookmark inside the novel he had been reading, eyes not focused on the book but rather on the door. He nodded slowly once, then turned and set the book on the counter behind his chair. Lavi stood, stepping towards the door as the knock sounded again.

He pulled open the door, seeing Tyki standing there as usual. The werewolf grinned upon seeing him, but the grin faded at Lavi's own weak attempt at a smile.

"Lavi? Is something the matter?" Tyki asked while Lavi scanned the surrounding darkness. Good. It seemed Road was absent.

Noticing Lavi's gaze, Tyki shrugged.

"I haven't seen Road yet tonight. Sheryl might be keeping her close. I'm sure we'll see her tomorrow, if that is what you were wondering." Tyki stepped forward, reaching for Lavi's hand, but the redhead stepped back and drew the hand Tyki had reached for to his chest, out of reach of the older man. He saw the other's brow furrow in confusion and stepped back deeper into the house. With the hand he wasn't currently holding over his heart, he indicated the kitchen.

"Come in?" he asked. Tyki frowned, shaking his head.

"I thought you didn't want to risk waking-" Tyki's voice fell suddenly silent, eyes moving beyond Lavi to the kitchen proper. The werewolf's eyes widened briefly, then narrowed. He nodded his understanding, stepping into the room. "I see."

Lavi turned, seeing Bookman standing in the center of the room. The old man's eyes were narrowed at Tyki, betraying no emotion to those who didn't know how to look. Lavi caught his grandfather's flicker of surprise at the unnatural shade of Tyki's skin and eyes as the werewolf stepped fully into the circle of light offered by the candle. Tyki stopped advancing the moment he was within the sphere of flickering candlelight, allowing the old man to clearly see him and staring, unfazed, back at Bookman.

Lavi quietly shut the door and returned to his chair, trying to make himself as unnoticeable as possible. He needn't have worried - neither Tyki nor Bookman so much as glanced towards him.

Bookman broke the stare-down first, turning away from Tyki with a quiet 'hmph' and heading back to his chair. He indicated the chair Tyki was to sit in with one hand.

"Sit."

Lavi watched the werewolf cross the floor and sit in the chair, seemingly not nervous in the least. He seemed positively relaxed, leaning against the hard wooden back of the chair and laying his arms casually on the armrests, crossing his legs and waiting. Bookman was equally relaxed, though there was a stony air about him. He was clearly assessing the werewolf, studying him like a bug underneath a magnifying glass. Tyki didn't flinch.

Lavi's gaze traveled from one to the other, waiting for one of them to speak.

"What are you?" Bookman asked bluntly.

"Your kind would call mine werewolves," Tyki replied evenly. He inclined his head. "I assume you have something you wish to discuss with me?"

Bookman was quiet for several seconds, then he looked towards Lavi.

"Go to your room. I would like to speak with this-" Bookman paused, looking back at Tyki. "-werewolf alone."

The redhead glanced towards Tyki. The older man nodded, smiling confidently, and Lavi felt somewhat reassured. He did want to stay, but it might be easier for them to talk about whatever it was without him in the room. Besides, it wasn't as if he couldn't eavesdrop if he pressed his ear to the door. Sound traveled fairly well through the small cottage, meaning he'd be able to hear everything from the room, even if he couldn't see.

He padded quietly away from the kitchen, entering the bedroom and shutting the door behind him. The moment the door shut fully, he got down to his knees and pressed his ear against the wood.

There was only silence for several seconds, then Bookman spoke.

"What are your intentions?"

"My intentions?" There was puzzlement in Tyki's voice and maybe just a hint of surprise at being asked the question.

"Towards Lavi." Bookman's voice was hard as stone. There was silence for several seconds.

"I don't think I get your meaning."

"You know perfectly well what I mean. He says he met you several days ago and he has snuck out the past three nights to be with you. When I caught him last night, he had a mark on his neck. I assume it's your work."

Lavi winced. He had tried to keep his neck covered today with a spare kerchief in hopes that his grandfather hadn't noticed the rather red, obvious mark on his neck. The redhead had looked into the washbasin that morning and had seen it reflected in the water, but he had hoped the old man hadn't noticed it in the dark.

Bookman did not sound pleased. Not one bit.

"If it is?"

"If it is then you will leave right now and should never return to darken my doorway again. You will not be welcome in this house as long as I live."

"I refuse. If Lavi wishes me to leave, then I will."

Lavi could almost picture Bookman's eyes narrowing at the statement. Several heartbeats passed without a sound from either man, then Tyki spoke again.

"Do you interrogate everyone who comes to call on your grandson?"

"Only those with less than honorable intentions."

"What says my intentions are less than honorable?" Tyki's voice sounded almost angry and Lavi waited with baited breath from his grandfather's response.

"A man who draws a young boy from his home without the knowledge of the young boy's guardian..." Bookman paused, clearly disapproving. "Especially so late at night. That alone would be enough to make me doubt your intentions, but the mark on Lavi's neck is proof enough that your intentions aren't honorable. An honorable man would never take advantage-"

Bookman's voice rose in volume and vehemence as he spoke, words coming quicker and harsher. Lavi had never heard his grandfather raise his voice and was so shocked he nearly missed it when Tyki interrupted, the werewolf's voice just as heated as Bookman's.

"Shall we ask Lavi if he feels that he is being taken advantage of?" he hissed. Lavi could hear the man draw in a deep breath and let it out slowly, then he continued in a more collected tone. "Lavi is old enough to make his own choices, I'm sure you'll find. He sees nothing wrong with my intentions or my actions. Ask him yourself."

Silence. Lavi held his breath, waiting for someone to speak.

"Lavi." Bookman's voice was louder, clearly intended to reach the redhead's ears. Lavi quickly got to his feet and pushed open the bedroom door, walking across the cottage floor towards the kitchen. He could see Bookman and Tyki standing up, neither in their chair any longer though both had remained on their side of the room. After a moment's hesitation, he walked over to Tyki and stood by the werewolf's side in silent support. He didn't look at Bookman, knowing he wouldn't like the expression on the old man's face.

Silence rose in the small room, then Tyki spoke.

"I think this speaks for itself," he said softly, not gloating or holding it over Bookman's head. Lavi still couldn't look his grandfather in the eye. There was another drawn-out pause.

"Perhaps you are right," Bookman finally conceded, for once sounding as old as his years. Lavi looked up, an apology on his lips, but Bookman continued. "But no matter how old he becomes, he will still be my grandson. I do not want to see him abandoned two or three years from now."

"He won't abandon me, Gramps," Lavi said. He believed it too, much to his surprise. He reached for the werewolf's hand and was given it. Tyki squeezed his hand reassuringly, letting him know that his belief wasn't in error.

Bookman's eyes flicked to their joined hands, then to Lavi's face.

"Lavi," he began. "Though you may like to believe what he says, you should not-"

"I won't abandon him," Tyki interrupted firmly. "He is my Intended. I may as well lose half of myself."

Bookman's eyes narrowed suspiciously, moving from Lavi to the werewolf.

"Intended? His parents made no arrangements for his marriage before they died and I certainly have not."

Tyki was shaking his head by the time Bookman had gotten to the word 'arrangements'.

"A werewolf's Intended is not arranged for. It simply is and Lavi is mine." Tyki drew himself up to his full height, still holding firmly on to Lavi's hand. "My intentions towards your grandson are perfectly honorable. If it will please you, then I will marry him in the human sense before we consummate our relationship, though there is no need to worry about bastard children from our joining."

Lavi could feel himself turning red and he bit his tongue to keep from shouting the werewolf's name in horror. There were some things his grandfather just did not need to know under any circumstances!

Bookman seemed to consider Tyki's words for a moment, then nodded as though satisfied. Lavi wished the floor would open and swallow him up, but it did not grant his wish. Bookman turned back to his chair and grabbed his book from the counter and sat down. He opened the book to the marked page, removing the bookmark and placing it between pages he had already read.

"I expect him back within the hour." With that, Bookman fell silent and began to read. Lavi just stared at the old man, stunned at having gotten his permission.

"Shall we, Red?" Tyki asked, steering the redhead gently towards the door. Lavi's gaze remained on his grandfather for several seconds, even as his feet and body turned towards the door leading out. Tyki grabbed his cloak for him as they headed out the door and it was only in the doorway that Lavi found his voice again.

"Thank you!" he called, trying to put every ounce of gratitude he felt into his voice. Bookman looked up from his reading and nodded in acknowledgement.

The old man was still watching as the door shut behind the pair, only looking back at his book when he could no longer hear their feet on the ground.

TBC

A/N: Sorry that it took me so long to update. I kind of almost forgot about this fic. >_< I should be able to update again in two weeks. Hope you all enjoyed the chapter.

Random Note: I made a Lucky music video! My music vids are not as good as my fics, but I thought I’d announce it here anyway. The video is posted on YouTube and I use the same name for everything -- you’ll find me under ‘bookkbaby’ there too.