D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ scowls and smiles ❯ sweet elegance ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scowls and Smiles
Chapter One:
 
Whose bright idea was it to build the place on top of a cliff, Allen groused. Finally reaching the top, he plopped onto the soft green grass, breathing laboriously as he stared at the tall, spiraling black building in a mix of admiration and slight apprehension. He shivered slightly, feeling as if he was being watched. Said albino's grey eyes widened as he saw the huge door move, opening its eyes and scanning him. “Demoooon! He's a demoooon!” the Gatekeeper yelled. Allen winced at the volume, but he felt that he should fear for his life. He sputtered, protesting, and waving his arms.
 
I'm dead, he thought. He cursed, seeing the dark grey shadow. Allen followed the shadow, up to an elegant figure that basked under the soft glow of the moonlight. Midnight blue hair, tied high in a ponytail, blew in the crisp wind as did the long frayed ends of his sleek black uniform, and his eyes had a strange, milky white glint. Allen felt entranced, staring as the androgynous figure fell forward in a graceful swoop, bringing down with him a sword of jet black steel. It was only at the last minute that he remembered to protect himself.
 
Black-turned-silver metal clashed with his enlarged, clawed hand as it ended in a bright, flickering green flame encasing his left shoulder. Allen allowed a small gasp to pass through his lips as the sword tore through the transformed flesh of his left hand. “That arm…” The voice was husky, stating that the figure was clearly male, and quiet. “…what is it?” Allen's eyes traveled down to the sword in the other male's hands.
 
“It's an anti-demon weapon,” the albino said defensively. The Asian youth stared at him with eyes widened in confusion. The Asian young adult shouted angrily with a scowling face. The Gatekeeper wailed pathetically, and the other male turned to Allen in a kind manner with an apologetic smile, holding out his hand, and bowing his head a little. Allen watched in slight fascination at how quickly the young man's attitude changed so frighteningly fast.
 
Gomen nasai, it seems the Gatekeeper has a glitch…” the young man fidgeted under Allen's gaze, looking away. “Anou… how rude of me, my name's Kanda Yuu.” His English was a bit awkward, and he stumbled a bit over the words, but the British boy found he didn't care quite that much. Allen introduced himself, his right hand forming a firm grip with a grubby, callused hand.
 
Wei! Kanda-chan, you're not supposed to talk with possible enemies,” a pigtailed girl said, smacking him on the head gently with her clipboard. “I suppose it's alright to let this slide though, since I made sure Komui ge ge check.” She frowned. “Well? What are you waiting for? Get in before the gate closes.” Allen stared at the strange gate once more, and then followed the two Asians. Allen was awed at how large the Black Order actually was as the girl, as he had found out in a few short minutes, Linalee cheerfully spoke with him. “Kanda-chan, are you coming with us?” she prompted.
 
Kanda smiled shyly. “Alright.”
 
Allen was escorted to the science department and was reluctantly introduced by Linalee Komui, her older brother. The much older man dove into painful “fixing up” and then an explanation of what Innocence was during an unpleasant meeting with a strange creature otherwise known as Hevlaska. It was from that moment on that was an official exorcist, and was given a brief tour-alone with Linalee, since she kicked Kanda off to bed-of his new home. “Your room's here,” she pointed out with a sisterly smile that he could only describe as cute. “Make yourself at home. Your things already been brought up.”
 
Linalee left, and Allen sat down on the floor beside his bed, tilting his head back onto the covering of the bed as he thought of his late foster father. I've finally done it, Mana, he thought with a smile, I've finally become an exorcist. He crawled onto bed, placing his scaly, crimson hand on the painting of a jester carrying a coffin of a burden on his back. I'm walking forward, Mana.
 
 
Kanda stared blankly at the sickly glow of the fragile lotus that floated amidst the crystal clear water. It was the epitome of flower beauty, yet something inside him insisted that this flower was something that he didn't want, a burden, and a curse. He pulled the covers closer, tighter around him, feeling exhausted, but not daring to fall asleep.
 
It was something he never told anyone-even though Ravi found out on his own-but he hated his room, and the heavy, oppressing air of dread that it reeked of. No, he wasn't going to tell anyone.