D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Scandalous ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scandalous:
 
Disclaimer: I don't own DN Angel or any other anime character mentioned in here. The only thing I own is the plot, and even then my claim is dubious.
 
Warnings: AU, satirical style (although probably very badly done).
 
A/N: I got the idea for this from a couple of satires and just me being my little cynical self during lunch. As for the ranking system, I'm not sure if it's correct, so I'm sorry for any errors. I'll fix them up if you tell me though. Also, this is an idea that's been cooking for a while, so whilst I'm stuck with writer's block, I'll work on this one and probably a few oneshots now and again. Hope you enjoy this new story!
 
The room was filled with the sound of merry chatter and laughter. Lords and ladies of the nobility swirled about in a graceful, unknown dance of politics and schemes. Here, one would find more serpents in a square inch than they would in the whole of the Amazon jungle. Here was where everyone hid behind glittering, glamorous veils of money and decadence and ignored the outside world. Poverty might have been rampant in the dark, filthy cities and war-torn villages, but here, all was light and laughter. No one within these walls thought of the fear and despair outside, no one thought of helping others selflessly. Here, Decadence presided over all. Had the citizens of Aeylven seen this room, they would have been awed at the sight of so much wealth.
 
At the top of one of the grand staircases, a little chubby man with an overlarge moustache cleared his throat fussily. He was dressed in a royal blue coat and pale beige trousers, both with cherry red stripes running down the sides. A pair of golden epaulettes and a golden chain across his breast marked him as being the johso, or Master of Ceremonies. It was Lord Daisuke's eighteenth birthday, the day he would be presented to society. The babble slowly died down and he turned, bowing before the set of golden doors which slowly began to open. As Lord Daisuke stepped out, the rotund man announced pompously, “Lords and ladies, I present to you…” Here he took a breath, preparing to recite the titles that the young man in front of him held. “Lord Daisuke Niwa of House Shadow; son of Lord Kosuke of House Shadow and Lady Emiko of House Dale.” Applause filled the room and the little man allowed himself a twitch of the lips. Everyone's eyes were fixed on the redhead standing at the top of the stairs.
 
Daisuke Niwa of House Shadow himself was ill at ease. His ruby eyes scanned the room frantically searching for any sign of a familiar face, but he caught none. He resisted the urge to gag as he descended the stairs and landed right in the middle of a group of young ladies, all of whom giggled and preened themselves whilst batting their eyelashes at him. He carefully wove his way through their voluminous skirts, smiling at them apologetically. He felt awkward in these situations and wondered briefly whether his older friends had ever felt the same way on the night of their presentation. He subconsciously slipped a hand into his pocket, feeling the small sheet of parchment upon which his speech was written.
 
“Why, good evening to you, Lord Daisuke. Congratulations upon the eve of your birth.” Daisuke spun around to see a petit, blond young man. He was dressed in pale blue, which set off his eyes well and complemented his fair colouring.
 
“Ah, good evening to you too, good sir,” he replied smoothly. “Thank you for your kind words.” Indeed, he was grateful. Whilst many tried to curry favour with him with their oily words and their obsequious gestures, Daisuke felt that this man, at least, was genuinely pleased. “May I have the honour of knowing your name, please?” The words rolled off his tongue smoothly like some long-memorised formula, or the lines of a famous poem. The other smiled gently.
 
“I am Lord Quatre Raberba Winner.” He hesitated as though wondering whether to say any more, but Daisuke already knew. His crimson eyes widened in surprise and he barely managed to keep a gasp in check.
 
“From House Sandrock in Kingdom Cinq?” Lord Winner smiled in reply, but a flush on his cheeks showed that he was embarrassed at the recognition.
 
“Yes. But please,” he said gently, “don't treat me so formally now!” He laughed at the expression on Daisuke's face. “I was looking forward to be able to speak to someone of my own age in a less formal manner.” The redhead wasn't sure how to respond to this and he stammered out something awkward along the lines of `don't worry'. “How about I bring you to my friends?” He asked lightly. “Or would you prefer to wander around and play the host?” At the shocked expression on Daisuke's face, he laughed once more. “Come, then.” With a graceful wave of his hand, he directed Daisuke to another part of the room, where four youths and two women were seated.
 
“'Tis a fine night for conversation,” one of them commented. “Are you taking another charge, Quatre?” The blond laughed and smiled up at Daisuke.
 
One of the young women, one with her honey brown tresses tied up into two thick braids spoke up. “Stop making him uncomfortable,” she sternly told the previous speaker. Daisuke was surprised; not many ladies he knew would have dared to take such a tone with their husbands.
 
The first one smiled at her devilishly, his amethyst eyes dancing with a wicked light. He nonchalantly brushed a stray wisp of hair which had fallen out of the tight braid and winked at the redhead. “Faith, Sally, there's no need to take such a tone. Heaven above knows that I would never dream of doing such a thing.” The lady sighed and rolled her eyes, expression telling him exactly what she thought. The braided man leaned forward, smiling cheerily. “So,” he said, running his eyes over Daisuke. The redhead shuddered. “You're Daisuke Niwa. It's a pleasure to meet you,” he said, sticking out a hand for Daisuke to shake. Quatre sighed from his place behind the young man.
 
“Duo,” he scolded lightly. “Since you're obviously so incapable, I'll—“
 
“Do the introductions,” the other cut in. He smiled rakishly once more before leaning back into the chair and waving a hand dismissively. “Continue.”
 
Quatre huffed, blue eyes indignant, and Daisuke was tempted to smile. “This,” the blond gestured to the braided man, “is Count Duo Maxwell of House Deathscythe. The brown haired young man there,” he gestured at a figure standing behind Duo's chair, “is Sir Heero Yuy.” Daisuke wondered why the man's name seemed familiar. “The other one, with green eyes, is Baron Trowa Barton of House Triton. His sister, Lady Catherine, is the one on your left.” Daisuke looked and Lady Catherine smiled at him sweetly. He blushed and smiled awkwardly back, hoping no one would make fun of him. “Then we have Baron Wufei Chang of House Shenlong and his wife, Baroness Sally.” The woman with braided hair smiled, whilst her dark-haired husband bowed stiffly.
 
“Of course, there's dear old Lord Quatre Raberba Winner too,” the Count piped up. He smirked at the blond and then stretched out a hand, pretending to shake at the other's disapproving look. “A horse!” he quoted lightly, “A horse! My kingdom-or should that be title?-for a horse!” He then turned to Daisuke. “We're all from Kingdom Cinq,” he said cheerily. The redhead nodded, unsure of what to say. Duo grinned and stood up, slinging an arm over his shoulders. “My, aren't you the pretty one.” Smiling, he leaned over to whisper huskily into Daisuke's ear. “What say you, Dai-chan? You, me, a bed…hm?” Daisuke looked at him askance.
 
“What do you mean?” he asked innocently. “What would we possibly do in a bed?” The men stared whilst the women tittered. Well, Lady Catherine did. Baroness Sally, on the other hand, stood up and frowned at the Count.
 
“Count Maxwell, I hardly believe this is appropriate for polite conversation.” She smiled wickedly at the other. “I know your taste runs into exotic young men, but `twould be a grave breach of protocol to suggest such things to our dear host.” The braided sighed and nonchalantly tossed his head, the long braid whipping about.
 
“Such catty comments are beneath you, my dear,” he retorted. “Or do you desire something else?” Quatre hastily stepped forward.
 
“Stop being so incorrigible, Duo,” he scolded the other. Then he turned to smile at Daisuke, blue eyes open and sincere. “Please accept my apologies for him. Methinks he has partaken of the liquor rather freely.” Dismissing the Count's protests with a wave of his hand, he beamed at Daisuke. “Please, feel free to stay and talk.” Daisuke glanced up once more at the four men and decided that if all he had to look forward to with this group were vulgar jokes and silent stares, he'd be better off leaving. The Count sighed and straightened up, taking his arm off Daisuke's shoulder.
 
“Sorry, perhaps later, at dinner?” Daisuke smiled weakly at all of them-a feat in itself, considering that he was met by three cold stares and a lecherous smile-and he hastily left.
 
Dinner passed in a haze of conversation and speeches. The redhead sighed as he picked at the quail eggs and lemongrass on his plate, wondering whether all presentation dinners were this annoying. Granted, he was naïve in many matters, but even a child would be able to tell that the majority of speeches were made to curry favour with his parents, not him. Tch, he thought irritably, With's a better companion. Looking around the table, he sighed once more.
 
It was time for the dancing, what Daisuke privately thought of as the most uncomfortable part of the evening. Contrary to popular belief, there was an art to waltzing with a lady of noble birth. Hold her too close, and she would take it as an advance. Hold her too far, and she would be offended. As a result, the poor man was blushing nicely by the time they reached the tango, and he was close to a state of collapse. Luckily, no one noticed, as the alcohol had finally permeated their brains. The music faded away, and Daisuke looked around once more, wondering who he was going to dance with this time. It seemed that most of the young women here were beautiful, which was just as well; their intelligence was sorely lacking, or so it seemed to the young lord. Looking up at the orchestra, he shut his eyes and gently hummed along to the music, enjoying the tune. Then a young woman passed him with a smile and a giggle. As though on cue, he was swarmed by them once more and the poor redhead could only blush and stutter and smile awkwardly.
 
The evening drew to a close, and soon all the visitors were saying their goodbyes. Daisuke waved cheerily to Quatre and Sally, and carefully smiled at the others despite his aching cheeks. Apart from Duo holding up the line a little by making a comment on how /well/ Daisuke's breeches fitted him, the departures were relatively mundane.
 
Back in his room, Daisuke sat in front of the cheery fire, thinking. He didn't like the party at all, except for the Cinq delegation. At least they were genuine, unlike most of the others he'd talked to tonight. Sighing, he leaned back and closed his eyes, rubbing his temples lightly.
 
Next morning:
 
Going through his kata the next morning, Daisuke felt free. It wasn't that he liked fighting, but being in the cool morning air and surrounded by nature appealed to him, especially after that garish display of wealth last night. Remaining in his position for a moment longer, he opened his eyes as the wind changed around him, signaling someone's presence.
 
Dark sighed in annoyance. Although his father could have simply sent over a gift via one of the couriers, he insisted on sending his son with it instead. Not to mention the fact that she refused to spare anyone to go with him `because we're already short on help as it is'. Although he personally could not see who would be missed; the castle was filled to the brim with servants! Surely he could cajole one of them to go with him? He glared around at the clearing before his eyes came to rest on the redhaired youth standing in front of him. “Excuse me,” he haughtily said, “but would you be so kind as to tell me where Castle Shadow is?” Stupid name, he thought. It sounds like a stronghold for evil plotters in a children's fairytale.
 
The young redhead nodded and smiled before pointing. “It's that way,” he softly said. His eyes were warm and they lingered just a little on his form before the boy looked away. “Just keep riding in that direction and you'll find it.” Dark nodded and spurred Haiku onwards.
 
He arrived at the castle earlier than expected. However, all was not lost. He managed to secure a `hot water bottle' for the night in the form of a plump little servant girl and he was looking forward to meeting this couple. Their son, Daisuke, had come of age recently and although the ball was over, the viscount was forced to come later as he had just arrived back from a long sojourn in Ayureven. Lord and Lady Niwa were said to be eccentric in their own way, and thus were scorned by the majority of the population. They were said to be too lenient with their serfs and as a result, the son was said to be odd as well. Dark was tempted to roll his eyes at this again. God help us, he thought sardonically, the barbarians are pounding down the gates. One of our kind is associating with the serfs! Help us, Great One, help us!
 
“Lord Dark Mousy,” Baron Kosuke said. “It is good to see you. What brings you here?” Dark smiled smoothly.
 
“Naught but the sentiments of my father and myself.” He bowed low before presenting the other with the letter, which was accepted.
 
“Many thanks. You must be weary from your journey. Towa!” The baron called. “Please show Lord Dark to his chambers. Be sure that he gets good treatment; last time's…mishap was not taken lightly.” The grey haired young woman smiled happily and bowed deeply before leading Dark off. As they walked out of the meeting hall, Dark sighed before something solid collided with him. He staggered back a few steps only to gasp in recognition as the owner of the striking crimson colouring did the same.
 
“You!” They both gasped. Dark was the first to recover and he looked icily at the younger one. Without another word, he looked at Towa expectantly. She took the hint and walked off down the hallways of the large palace. Daisuke frowned after the other. He's so stuck up, he thought.
 
Entering, he bowed low before his parents. Emiko smiled and stood up, descending from the raised platform. “Daisuke,” she warmly said. “How are you today?”
 
“I'm fine, Mother,” he truthfully said. She laughed in response.
 
“I thought you would be sleeping off the effects of the party last night,” she commented amusedly. “But then again, you've always been well disciplined, haven't you?”
 
“I don't like them very much,” Daisuke commented. “They flutter and preen and lie, and it's all so ugly that it's difficult to see how anyone could be awed by them.” Emiko nodded gravely and then sighed. Some days, she felt like telling all the pretty nobles to get out and stay out.
 
“Yes, I know what you mean, Daisuke. But we must continue to live with kindness and honour. I'm sure there are other nobles around like us, who care for justice and equality for all.”
 
“But there are few of them, and they keep quiet,” Daisuke pointed out. Emiko nodded.
 
“I don't know…you met some of them last night.” The redheaded lord blinked.
 
He thought a little, going through the list of acquaintances he had made last night. “I don't know who you mean, honorable Mother,” he replied.
 
Emiko laughed a little. “There's no need to be so formal,” she lightly teased. “What about the Cinq delegation, were they not kind?” Daisuke thought about them for a while before shaking his head.
 
“Lord Winner seemed to be rather talkative, but the others were mostly silent.” He answered. He felt that he had told the truth; after all, the ladies did not say much for their part and the men seemed to prefer their own circle of company. He doubted that anyone would have said anything to him at all had Quatre not brought him there.
 
Emiko looked thoughtful. “I hear Count Maxwell was there, is that true?” At first, Daisuke was clueless. Who…? The image of the braided Count appeared in his mind and he blushed a little, remembering the other's remarks.
 
“Poor little Dai-chan, did he catch your fancy?”
 
“Mother!” Daisuke gasped, shocked by such a thing coming from her. He had always thought of his mother as a little mischievous at times, but certainly not like that!
 
“You will be worse than a barmaid if you continue!” He gasped. Emiko sighed again; her son could be so naïve sometimes.
 
“One remark does not a barmaid make,” she serenely replied. “Besides, it is common fact that Count Maxwell has a taste for men as well as women. I believe his current…partner is Sir Yuy, is he not?” Daisuke flushed darkly and wondered whether he could turn another shade of red. Emiko waved her hand once more. “Common gossip, dear child,” she replied. She grinned wickedly and Daisuke gulped, knowing what was to come. “But he is choosy,” she added thoughtfully. “Come, come, Dai-chan, you can tell your mother anything.” The poor redhead blushed at the thought of even trying to repeat what the Count had said. Emiko squealed with glee and clapped her hands. “Oh, yes, when he left! I was so sure you would turn into a strawberry, Dai-chan, I was!” She laughed merrily whilst her son turned an even darker shade of red.
 
Their `talk' continued for a while longer, Daisuke's lessons having been cancelled on account of the large ball the previous night. When Emiko finally left, the young lord felt that he would never be able to ever look at anyone in the Cinq delegation again without blushing or stuttering. Especially not the stoic, cold Sir Yuy or the innocent looking Lord Winner.
 
“Good day to you, sir,” a cool voice sounded from behind him. Turning around, Daisuke blinked at the lord who had accosted him during his morning practice. “Would you do me the pleasure of walking with me?” Daisuke nodded before falling into step with the other. They moved in silence for fifteen minutes until the other finally spoke. When he did, it was as though he had become a completely different man. His voice was huskier and had Daisuke been too naïve to know it, it had become seductive like velvet. “My apologies, I did not know you were the son of Lord and Lady Niwa.” Daisuke laughed uncomfortably.
 
“I-I do not take offense,” He stammered out. The other smiled, then continued.
 
“I am Lord Dark Mousy of House Blackwing, son of Lord Evan Mousy and Lady Alice Croix.” Daisuke blinked; House Blackwing was one of the most prestigious houses in the whole of Aeylven and one of the most well-known. “May I have the pleasure of your acquaintance?” At this point, the other stopped and gently leaned closer as though listening for some secret Daisuke had to impart.
 
“Lord Daisuke Niwa of House Shadow,” he quickly said. He didn't feel it necessary to add his parents' names; Dark seemed to know them already. The other smiled.
 
“Daisuke,” he murmured softly. “A fitting name. Tell me; do you love easily?” The redhead squirmed uncomfortably; the topic was embarrassing and he didn't feel comfortable with the other lord invading his personal space. The memory of Count Maxwell and Sir Yuy's relationship made itself known in his mind and he blushed further.
 
“I-I don't think this is a topic for discussion,” he stammered out. Dark smiled, sighed a little and moved away.
 
“My, my, so modest. How enchanting,” he said before leaning in once more and brushing his fingers across Daisuke's cheek. “Well, I must be leaving. I have some tasks to attend to, but do feel free to come in and talk to me. I have a feeling we will be…good friends.” Was it Daisuke's wild imagination, or did he just hear the slightest bit of emphasis on `good friends'? Shaking off his fantasies, he nodded at the other.
 
Dark was delighted. The little boy he'd met on his way to the castle was none other than the heir to the Shadow estates! A pity he had already arranged for the servant girl to come up; he would have loved to spend some more time with the young noble in his room. Not that, of course. Still, he wouldn't mind. Dark smiled to himself. Oh yes, things would be quite interesting indeed. No; not in the least bit boring, like he'd expected. The son being a gorgeous piece of art was a beautiful bonus, and his naïveté…well, his naïveté was beyond comparison. Oh yes; it would feel exquisite to corrupt the young one.
 
Thank you for reading, and please drop me a review on your way out. I really love them, and I'd also appreciate it if you told me of your opinion so that I can decide on whether or not to continue this story. Thanks for reading!
 
Preview (if this story gets enough support):
 
“Look at me.” A gentle pressure on his face and Daisuke reluctantly turned to face the other. “Now, was that so hard?” the other asked in amusement. Purple eyes roamed over his face, and Daisuke blushed under the intense scrutiny. “You know,” the other commented thoughtfully, “I can see why so many women want you. You are quite fair of face and form.”