D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Trey ❯ Confusion and Terror ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Confusion
 
Disclaimer: I don't own D. N. Angel, I never have, I never will.
 
A/N: Uh…nothing to say. I'm sorry for the lack of romance scenes all throughout, I'll get to them in my own time. Thank you to everyone who reviewed and all the support and stuff…yeah. ^_^ Enjoy!
 
Dark fell to the ground along with Krad, although the younger man still had his sword. Krad, on the other hand, was not in a good position. The whip had flown out of his hand and now lay on the floor out of Krad's reach. Dark could not care less-with his free hand, he pummeled Krad as hard as he could, trying to stab the older man with his sword. However, Krad was too cunning for the teenager. He noticed that the purple haired boy was currently concentrating on beating him up, so he formed an energy ball and shoved it right into Dark's chest. The teen gasped in pain and flew backwards, only to crash into the crowd.
 
Daisuke winced as he looked up at what was happening. One moment, Krad had been poised above him, ready to deal some serious damage with the whip and in the next, Dark had seemed to appear out of nowhere. Satoshi, on the other hand, held no such thoughts. His whole mind was focused on one thing: Survival-again, a byproduct of living on the streets. Without thinking, the blue-haired boy grabbed Daisuke by the scruff of the neck and dragged him out of harm's way. Daisuke was still dazed, and could only hang limp as Satoshi dragged him along. When the two teens were safely away from the fight that was now taking place, they hid among the crowd (who, I may add, were more than happy to help).
 
Wheezing hard, Dark lay in the midst of the crowd, still clutching his sword. The purple haired lord was helped up by the people around him. Lady Yuki then rushed in on the scene (wow late isn't she) with the energy ball in hand. “STOP!” cried Lady Yuki, trying to stop the fight. “KRAD, DARK, STOP IT THIS INSTANT!” At the sound of her voice, Dark immediately stopped trying to charge back into battle. Krad, however, didn't care and threw another energy ball at Lady Yuki instead. It missed her, but hit another stable boy as he ran out of the barn. The boy, being weaker than Dark in terms of physical strength, did not fare so well and went flying backwards into a wall. The stable hand crashed into the solid wood with a loud crack, slid onto the ground and lay there completely still. At this callous and coldhearted action, something inside Lady Yuki awoke. She normally didn't get angry, but the wanton waste of life just now was enough to make her scream. Krad was arrogant, stuck-up and he certainly didn't care about the peasants under his rule-or anyone else, for that matter. The man just wanted power, but the fair-haired woman could tell that giving power to this man would be like giving a sword to an assassin. Raising her hand to throw the energy ball, the normally gentle woman hurled it at Krad with all her strength. The man didn't expect any attack from this person and so he was hit. Although he just staggered a bit, it was enough for the Lady of Metane to run to the injured boy and try to heal him. Dark, on the other hand, rushed towards Krad, bent on injuring him as much as possible. Krad drew his own sword and leaped towards Dark, the pair of them meeting mid-air with a loud clash of metal on metal.
 
Daisuke's eyes opened wide in horror, all traces of his former dazed look now gone as he watched Dark battle Krad. The crowd also stood stock still, no one daring to move. Their eyes were riveted on the two men now slashing at each other with their swords, eyes flashing with fury.
 
Dark gritted his teeth as Krad's sliced at him again, barely managing to block. The heavier sword slammed down on his blade mercilessly, as though its wielder intended to use it like a mace. The sword suddenly shimmered, and it turned into a heavy war-axe. /Oh no,: thought Dark to himself, :How did he do that?!/ Indeed, he now had to dodge every blow, in order to make sure that his sword did not break under the full force of the axe. Krad smiled evilly as he closed in on Dark, continuing to whirl his axe. The blond lord saw the look of fear in Dark's eyes and closed in for the kill, confident with the knowledge that he would win for sure. Hm…killing the heir to Metane wasn't such a bad idea. He could easily frame Yuki for treason once this was over, she would go to jail, and he might get her lands as a reward from the Lords. Of course, he could also assassinate her-it would stop her tongue faster than the framing plot. On the other hand, everyone would know who had planned the assassination…so…oh well. He would deal with this boy first and then he could think about the future. “Dark,” purred Krad, “Just give up. There's no way you'll be able to beat me in combat.”
 
Dark's blood boiled at the arrogant lord's voice telling him to do such a thing. How dare he, raged Evil Dark's voice. For once, Dark could not agree more. The purple haired lord increased the speed and power of his strokes, now completely focused on ending the blond man's life once and for all. Unfortunately, the tyrannical lord was more experienced in this form of combat and Dark found himself doing all he could just to defend himself.
 
Lady Yuki stared in horror as she watched her son being mercilessly driven back into a wall. Standing up, she left the stable boy to the care of the castle medic, who had now arrived on the scene. Instead, the Lady ran towards the battling pair, ready to knock out either of them if only to stop the fight from escalating. She somehow managed to summon up another energy ball and hurled it at the battling pair, hoping that it would hit Krad (although she would have to settle for her own son). To her relief, the ball hit the blond man and he soon was knocked unconscious. Lady Yuki calmly looked at Dark, the crowd and finally at Krad's prone form, now lying on the ground. Calmly, she issued orders for Krad to be put into his room, the injured stable boy to be taken to a cool room where he would not be disturbed, and for the crowd to disperse. Amazingly, there was no shortage of help-none of the inhabitants of Castle Hikari had liked their lord very much, once they discovered the demonic nature that lay under the angel's face.
 
Dark, however, refused all his mother's efforts to help/heal him, and instead he staggered towards Daisuke, who wrenched himself free of Satoshi's grasp and ran towards the older teen. The two met in the middle and Dark collapsed into Daisuke's arms, sending the pair of them sprawling on the ground. Lady Yuki and Satoshi watched in amusement and smiled, happy for their charges.
 
Dark stroked Daisuke's hair as he hugged the red-haired boy back. Daisuke, on the other hand, could not help but gently sniffle into Dark's shoulder as he realised that the lord was going to be all right. Hee hee hee, doesn't he feel nice and warm in your arms? Chuckled Evil Dark as Dark himself savoured the warmth of having Daisuke in his arms. /Shut up, / protested the `normal' Dark. He closed his eyes slowly, just letting himself enjoy the moment. The two were broken out of their own little bubble when Satoshi cleared his throat quietly. “Excuse me, Lord Dark, Daisuke,” he said, his voice ever bland. “I think that perhaps we should all go inside?” This seemed to bring Dark back to his senses, and the young purple haired lord quickly grasped Daisuke and pushed him away, only to grab him and pull him closer. Daisuke felt a stab of pain each time Dark touched the wounds on his back, but it was quickly pushed away as the lord hugged him. Daisuke felt comfortable in Dark's arms; he never wanted to leave. He felt someone tugging his shoulder, and looked up to see Dark's face smiling down at him. Daisuke smiled back and Dark was once again struck by the beauty of the gorgeous redhead he was currently holding. Satoshi, meanwhile, was getting a little irritated as well as worried for his best friend. It was all very well if Daisuke had finally found out his feelings for the purple haired boy, but if he bled to death he wouldn't have much time to enjoy a happy life with him! There really was only one thing to do in this kind of situation…
 
Daisuke snuggled deeper into Dark's arms, smiling blissfully. The purple haired lord was also in Cloud 9. Dark gently tilted Daisuke's face upwards and kissed those soft lips. Daisuke was at first stunned, but he found that he liked this rather gentle kiss and began to reciprocate the favour. Both boys were just starting to get into it when they were rudely startled out of their happiness by a pair of hands roughly Daisuke loose and half dragging, half carrying him back up to the castle. For one horrible moment, the redhead thought that Krad was carrying him off to the dungeons or torture chambers or something. These fearful thoughts were soon cut off by a glimpse of Satoshi's sky blue hair. Sighing inwardly, Daisuke let his best friend carry him back up to the castle.
 
Lady Yuki looked amusedly at her son, the expression on his face worth more than the most precious jewels in the world. She giggled to herself, ignoring the strange looks that her only child gave her. Her mind was already formulating a plan that was sure to get Dark and Daisuke together. Hey, a single Lady had to have her fun right?
 
Dark gulped as he felt cold sweat starting to form. He was scared; he hadn't seen his mother giggle except for that time she placed a giant sponge on the top of his bedroom door when he was five. He'd walked into the room and by the time he'd realized that something was wrong, his hair, clothes and everything about him was completely soaked, including the book that he had been reading at the time. Even his `evil' half was scared of a giggling Lady Yuki. Dark hastily made his escape whilst his mother was still preoccupied with whatever she was planning.
 
In the kitchens:
 
Satoshi chastised Daisuke to no end as he bandaged the whip marks on the other boy's back. “…and don't you think that you should try and stay alive if you want to be with Dark a little longer?” Satoshi asked as he ripped off another length of bandage. Daisuke (who hadn't really been listening to Satoshi for the last fifteen minutes) immediately jerked up at these words, his face flushing a nice crimson colour. Satoshi's face immediately broke into a broad grin, just as Takeshi ran in to check on his friend. The stable boy caught sight of the look on Satoshi's face and his own tanned one turned slightly pale. It wasn't every day you caught the Head of the Kitchens smiling, after all. Especially when the aforementioned Head was a normally icy boy who acted like he needed a good lay, to put it bluntly. Takeshi hastily made his exit, sensing that Daisuke might not appreciate him listening on this conversation. An evil grin then spread over the brunette's face as he closed the door carefully and then pressed his ear to the keyhole. Hey, he needed to pay Daisuke back for the time he'd walked in on Akarrin and him, right?
 
“Satoshi!” Daisuke pouted as he looked at his friend. “I don't like Dark that way! You know I don't! I like Risa, you know that!” The blue haired boy just rolled his eyes.
 
“Whatever you say, Dai. I think I know better though…considering the way you were behaving in the courtyard.”
 
“GAH! You were watching?!” Daisuke spluttered and choked in indignation, whip injuries now completely forgotten as he pouted at Satoshi.
 
“Well, I could hardly fail not to watch, especially when you were bleeding down your back. Lady Yuki was watching too, in case you didn't notice. I don't think you did; not with the way you were wrapped up in your little moment with Dark,” Satoshi replied, the grin on his face now gone (although the amusement still danced in his eyes). He was now starting to enjoy himself thoroughly.
 
“Why do you have to torture me so?” moaned Daisuke, embarrassed to no end. Outside, Takeshi's eyes widened in amazement. So, Daisuke was into boys? Well, hopefully he didn't have a thing for Takeshi, or else he would find himself without a certain part of his anatomy-his head (hey, get your minds out of the gutter!). At that point, the mischievous boy's foot gently knocked against the wooden door, making a `thump' loud enough for the people inside to hear the noise. Takeshi froze with only two words in his mind. Oh…crap.
 
Satoshi and Daisuke looked up, startled by the noise at the door. The blue haired boy glared hard at it-he never liked eavesdroppers. He silently walked over to the door and opened it, and Takeshi fell in. Both Daisuke and Satoshi looked down at the sheepish brunette on the floor. There really was only one thing to do, Satoshi thought as he eyed the boy on the floor. “Saehara, I suggest that you don't tell anyone about whatever you heard, and get out of here, now, before I decide that you aren't fit to live after all,” Satoshi placed extra emphasis on `now', just to make sure that the boy would go away and not hang around. Takeshi could only scramble to his feet and run away. Of course, he couldn't resist the parting shot. “Hey Daisuke, you have the hots for Dark?” This was met with another crimson blush from Daisuke and a growl from Satoshi. Takeshi made his escape quickly, slamming the door behind him.
 
Daisuke groaned and buried his head in his hands. “Satoshi, you do realize that Takeshi will spread the rumour around regardless of your warning, right?”
 
Satoshi shrugged. “They would have to find out some time. Better late than never, right?”
 
“This is my reputation here! I actually care about what people think about me, especially when it comes to—“ Daisuke was cut off by Satoshi.
 
“Oh yeah, sure you care about Risa. Admit it, Daisuke. Even I can see that you like Dark more than a friend and I really couldn't care less, so long as you're happy. I think Dark feels the same way towards you too, in case you're wondering,” Satoshi took a deep breath as he recovered from his long `speech'. He hadn't talked this much for ages, and especially not to someone who he felt a close bond with. These things were just explained silently between them-almost like telepathy, except they both communicated on a higher plane. Satoshi sighed and shook his head to clear it of those thoughts. They were for dreamers and romantics. Logical and worldly people couldn't afford to think like that.
 
Daisuke seemed to understand Satoshi's feelings and fell silent, although the smile was still on his face. Satoshi finished bandaging up the rest of Daisuke's wounds and the two of them walked out, leaning on each other. Daisuke laughed as he imagined what they looked like to the rest of the kitchen-probably two young soldiers just back from the wars. The first person to speak to him was Risa, her eyes filled with hope. “Daisuke, are you all right?” The over-emotional girl grabbed both boys and pulled them into a tight hug, then backed away, threw her apron over her face and immediately began bawling. Riku (ever present and ready to take care of Risa), calmly led her sobbing sister away and tried to comfort her as they went. Both the blue-haired boy and the redhead just rolled their eyes and continued on their way to their respective posts.
 
Dark's rooms:
 
Dark groaned and buried his hands in his face for the hundredth time as he wrestled with the question that his mother had asked him earlier. His torturer, also known as his mother, sat across from him in the armchair holding her cup of tea and wearing an amused smile. Dark really hated it when she pushed him like this-feelings couldn't be rushed! She should know that better than most, after all. Lady Yuki, on the other hand, knew what Dark felt for Daisuke. He'd felt it all along; he just needed to admit it to himself. Once that barrier was broken, he and Daisuke would naturally gravitate together. She was just speeding things up by forcing Dark to admit that he felt something more than friendship for Daisuke. The redhead was a good choice; he was kind, caring and sincere, which would help to smooth over Dark's more sardonic style.
 
Dark finally came out of his self-imposed agony and faced his mother, trying not to wince as he mentally went over what he would tell her. “Well Dark, are you going to say anything?” Lady Yuki asked (the amusement evident in her voice.) =This isn't fair! = Dark thought. = She's enjoying this way too much. = Finally, the purple haired lord managed to stammer out a few words.
 
“I…I…I think I like him. A lot.” Lady Yuki sighed in disappointment. *He's still in denial, hm? Such a pity; it would have saved a lot of trouble if he had just admitted it. Of course, it's hard for any man to admit that he likes others of the same gender, even if most don't care about which way you lean [1].* Dark glared at his mother. “Now will you leave me alone?”
 
“Of course,” Lady Yuki stood up and glided towards the door. “Remember, Dark,” she added as she placed her hand on the door handle, “no one will hate you if you admit that you love Daisuke,” and before Dark could protest, she disappeared in a soft puff of blue smoke. The lord just groaned again and collapsed into the soft armchair. He then decided to go and talk a little to Daisuke. He had a feeling that the talk they were going to have was way overdue. Pushing himself up, Dark made his way down the corridors.
 
Krad's Room:
 
Krad opened his ice blue eyes groggily to se a servant in the room, cleaning up. Frowning slightly, he tried to remember what had happened earlier. He'd been hit by something ice-cold and white-hot at the same time. Then his memory came flooding back and a powerful surge of rage went through the lord as his mind re-played the events leading up to this. He'd been hit by a mere woman. What rankled even more was that the…woman's power level could not match his, and yet she had managed to put him out of action. Shooting up in the bed, he glared at the startled servant. Gathering his energy in the palm of his hand, Krad hurled it with all of his might at the servant, who (unable to resist the force) died in an instant. Krad slowly rose from the bed and walked out into the corridors of his castle. His eyes were filled with red and his mind was only on three people: Daisuke, Dark and Yuki.
 
Lady Yuki's Room:
 
Lady Yuki stared seemingly into nothingness, but she was actually thinking of ways to get Dark and Daisuke together. She turned over various ideas in her mind and analysed each one, totting up the advantages and disadvantages. Finally, she found a plan to her liking. She sensed a dark presence outside her door, and whirling around, she faced it, ready to shout a spell word when a giant splinter of ice smashed through the wood. Lady Yuki paled. It can't be…Krad's already awake?! The last thing she was another dagger made of ice, hurtling straight at her. Then…nothingness. Above her still form, Krad laughed. Foolish woman…thinking you could restrain me. The ice lord then turned on his heel and disappeared.
 
The kitchens:
 
Dark strode in through the doors, eyes scanning the whole room for a certain redhead. He found the object of his desires in a corner with Satoshi, both of them working talking. Just as he was about to go over, though, Risa jumped up in front of him. Dark could not suppress a small groan that escaped his lips.
 
Risa swallowed hard as she heard the small groan from Dark. Surely he wasn't groaning at the sight of her? The girl's lower lip trembled and her eyes filled up with tears. Dark could not help but smirk at her-hey, he needed to keep people happy, even if he didn't know them very well! Risa immediately perked up and latched onto the lord's arm, chattering away happily. After around five minutes of torture, Dark gave up. Raising his free arm, he yelled, “Hey Daisuke!” The whole kitchen fell silent and whispers were the only thing that filled the air as everyone stared at the redhead.
 
Daisuke felt his cheeks heating up as heads turned his way. Why does Dark have to do this all the time? Does he like the attention or something?! Daisuke looked up as he noticed Dark in front of him now. And…was that Risa hanging off his arm? Well, it wasn't like he expected Dark to love him for real…right? For some reason, Daisuke felt a little stab in his chest as he watched Dark and Risa snuggling together.
 
Dark swallowed as he saw the murderous look Satoshi sent him. =Crap, I should have gotten Risa off me first! Creepy bastard looks like he's gonna pop a vein any minute now…and it doesn't take a genius to guess why.= Dark quickly shook a pouting Risa off him and faced the blue-haired Ice Prince first. “Satoshi,” Dark took a deep breath, “This is isn't what it looks like, it's just that Risa latched onto my arm and she wouldn't let go and please tell Daisuke that—“ he was cut off by Satoshi's hand.
 
“Lord Dark,” Satoshi began calmly, “I think you had better tell Daisuke that yourself. He's right here, as you can see.”
 
Dark turned to face Daisuke. “Daisuke, do you want—“Again, the purple haired teen was cut off, although this time by Daisuke. The redhead swallowed hard, trying to subdue his raging feelings.
 
“Dark…can we talk about this somewhere private?” Dark was just about to suggest the same thing, and he nodded vigorously.
 
“One condition though,” he said, a smirk playing around his lips again.
 
“What?”
 
“Creepy bastard doesn't come with us.”
 
“Creepy…? Who's that?” Daisuke asked, blushing furiously at Dark's language.
 
Dark snickered and pointed at Satoshi, who was now positively fuming. “Him!”
 
Daisuke sighed and shook his head. He walked past Dark and headed for the door, not bothering to say anything. If Dark was as smart as he was supposed to be, he would catch the hint. Satoshi pushed Dark roughly in the direction of the door. “Hurry up baka [2], you don't want Daisuke to think you dumped him, do you?” Dark's eyes widened in mock horror and he dashed out the door, flailing his cloak behind him. Satoshi sighed, smiled to himself and shook his head. Those two were a match made in-oh never mind. A soft groan sounded from somewhere around his ankles and the blue-haired boy looked down to see a very annoyed Risa on the ground. Looking up, the Head of the Kitchens yelled as loudly as he could for Riku to take her twin away.
 
In the garden:
 
Daisuke stared at the water fountain, his mind filled with memories. When he'd been little, he'd always gone to this spot whenever he felt sad. He hadn't come here for a long time. A small rock clicked as it hit the hard stone ground, and Daisuke turned around. Dark stood there in front of him, looking slightly sheepish. “Hey,” Daisuke said, before looking downwards and contemplating his shirt with interest. Dark looked at Daisuke, puzzlement written all over his features.
 
Daisuke fiddled with his shirt, trying to think of something interesting to say. “Um…Lord Dark?”
 
Dark waved his hand, grateful for what Daisuke just said. “Don't call me Lord; it makes me feel old.”
 
Daisuke frowned, but tried anyway. “So…Dark, what were you looking for me for?”
 
Dark frowned. “I…I just wanted to talk to you, I guess. Daisuke…how are your wounds?”
 
Daisuke shrugged. “They're okay. Satoshi put some ointment on them, and they're slightly better now.”
 
Dark couldn't stand it anymore. In two strides, he had covered the distance between him and Daisuke. The taller teen swept the redhead into his arms and buried his head in the unruly mop of flame. “You have no idea how much…” Dark whispered, and then trailed off. He leaned back slightly and then kissed Daisuke on the mouth.
 
Daisuke blinked as Dark hugged him and he could only stand in shock as soft lips met his for the second time that day. He stood there like a statue for a few seconds, and then responded eagerly. Some little part of his mind whispered Risa's name, but it was soon silenced.
 
Dark ran his tongue over Daisuke's mouth, asking for entrance. The shorter teen eagerly complied, and just as they were getting into the kiss, an icy blast of wind rushed through the garden. The two boys stopped and shivered hard. A large icicle then appeared, and Krad stepped out of it, smiling evilly. “What a touching scene,” he murmured. “Too bad it won't last,” he added as he shot an icy dagger at Daisuke. Dark watched in horror as the dagger hit Daisuke full in the chest. The body flew through the air in a graceful arc and landed with a loud thump onto the stone ground ten feet away.
 
Another cliffhanger! Wheee!! Sorry, it's getting late now and I really wanted to wrap up this chapter before bedtime…so yeah. I don't know what happened; I guess I was in a sappy mood when I wrote this chapter. I'm so sorry; I don't know why I keep torturing Daisuke! Well, read and review please!