D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ When Doves Cry ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Complications
 
Disclaimer: I don't own DN Angel. How hard is it to wrap your mind around that concept?
 
A/N: Thank you for the support and I would like to point out that this chapter came up so S-L-O-W-L-Y because:
 
I have exams and a life outside fanfiction (wow).
I've been working on another fic at the same time (YYH/IY crossover)
I just don't have time!
 
Well. Enjoy this chapter.
 
Daisuke walked out of the bathroom feeling somewhat refreshed. The shower had really woken him up and he felt a little cleaner. “Dark?” he called out into the corridor. He smelled the familiar scent of food cooking and heard either the radio or the stereo blasting out a familiar tune. Apparently, Dark seemed to have taken a fancy to it, for he was singing along to it. “…I told ya homeboy! Can't touch this…oh sh--!” This last part was violently shouted as the onetime thief accidentally brushed his hand against the hot stove. Daisuke immediately rushed out, dirty clothes and all, and promptly tripped over a dangling sleeve.
 
The pair, now on the floor, stared at each other before bursting out into simultaneous laughter at their clumsiness and the other's antics and picked themselves off the floor. Finally, Dark managed to gasp out, “I don't believe you were ever a thief, Dai.” Silence fell and Dark wondered why the mention of his younger days made the redhead look so downcast. Then the links fell into place. Let's see now…thieving means Daisuke's younger days. Daisuke's younger days equals to avoiding the police. Avoiding the police leads to Satoshi. And Satoshi leads to…major fall out? Dark didn't know, he was only guessing, but he felt that that reason was the most likely. “Sorry, Dai,” he apologized awkwardly. The other man shook his head and stood up, clutching his dirty clothes. “Ah!” The purple haired boy quickly snatched the clothes out of Daisuke's hands and rushed off. “Here, let me take these. Just keep an eye on the eggs, `kay?” Without another word, he rushed off.
 
Daisuke stood in the kitchen, completely bemused. Thoughts ran through his head, the most prominent of them being, How can he be so…calm…after that? The smell of burning food brought Daisuke back to his senses and he very nearly shrieked and ran towards the stove, horrified by the black smoke rising from a pan.
 
Dark silently placed the clothes into the laundry basket, enjoying the soft scent of Daisuke still lingering on them. The thief managed to keep his cool throughout their rather brief chat in the kitchen, but he knew that his face was red from being caught singing along to the radio-something so cheesy that it would probably turn Risa off him for good if she ever caught him doing such a thing. Well, time to head back out. Something soft brushed the side of his leg gently and he looked down. Blinking in surprise, he placed the shirt into the laundry basket and walked out. The sight that met his eyes would have been nothing short of comical if it hadn't been for the fact that his expensive kitchen was about to be ruined. “What the fu--!” The expletive was left unfinished as he saw his former host desperately trying to beat out the flames with a wet rag. He rushed over and both men desperately tried to put the flames out.
 
Finally, the pair was finished with their stunt and Dark leaned over the stove, closer towards the wall to inspect it. After all, he had paid an arm and two legs for the décor and having it ruined by a mini fire would not exactly cheer him up. What he didn't know, however, was that his position gave Daisuke a very good view of everything. Dark happened to be wearing a pair of low cut jeans and when coupled with the skintight black shirt that he was wearing, it was enough to turn anyone's head.
 
Daisuke looked at the way Dark was leaning over the stove and felt himself get a little…hot under the collar. All right, Satoshi's ghost still lingered on in his mind, but the memories were pushed onto the back burner at the sight of Dark's exposed abdomen. The crimson-eyed man shifted uncomfortably, wanting to leave before his attraction to the thief became a real threat but felt that it would not be good to leave before apologizing. “Dark…I'm sorry.”
 
“Mm?” The purple eyed man didn't catch the phrase and straightened up with a soft grunt, turning to face Daisuke. “What?”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“For what?”
 
“For your wall, of course!” Daisuke was surprised that Dark didn't understand, considering that he had actually looked quite worried about the fire touching the wallpaper. The violet-haired man waved off the apology.
 
“No biggie. Nothing's damaged, anyway.”
 
“Are you sure?”
 
Dark gave the other man a look akin to the ones he had shot Daisuke's way when they were still sharing a body. “Do I look like I'm sure?”
 
Daisuke smiled uncertainly. “All right then…” Dark grinned at the look on Daisuke's face-for a moment, his ex-host could have been fourteen again. Well, okay. Only by the look on his face though; that body was just not meant for a fourteen year old. Dark prevented himself from drooling and firmly reminded himself that Satoshi was Daisuke's husband and Gods knew what Krad was out there doing. He knew the blond angel had been released along with him; he felt the other man's presence every moment of the day. They were linked forever, joined by their destinies, and the person who'd released them hadn't been willing to change that. Dark smiled sadly as he remembered the price paid for his and Krad's freedom. Feeling a soft touch on his arm, he remembered where he was and looked at Daisuke.
 
“Hey, Dark, why don't we just clean up and go out for lunch or something? I don't think you want to cook anything, and there's a new place that just opened.” Daisuke hoped that this would cheer his friend up. To his delight, Dark promptly dragged him out of the house and onto the streets of Azumano, demanding to know where this new place was.
 
Dark was surprised when Daisuke mentioned a new restaurant in town. He was forever going out to eat with his friends and knew every single eating place in the whole town. Well, at least, he thought he did. Until Daisuke told him about this new place. Curiosity piqued, he promptly dragged his friend out into the street, uncaring of the condition of the wall.
 
Satoshi:
 
“Tell me already!” Satoshi was less than happy as he paced around the room, Krad stood in a corner, shimmers of gold and white visible whenever he changed his standing position.
 
“My deepest apologies, Satoshi-sama, but I cannot. Forgive me.” Krad maintained that he would not tell his host anything about how he and Dark had returned to the physical world. In return for freeing them, the being had wished to remain unknown to everyone. He had also learned a great deal from Dark in their first few days back on Earth, despite the fact that he'd learned everything kicking and screaming. Didn't mean that he liked the man, though. He'd only showed Satoshi-sama the scene between Dark and Daisuke in order to pair the two of them up again. All right, so part of his motives involved revenge against a certain kaitou. Still…the whole idea was very generous of him, considering just how desperate Satoshi seemed to be. Krad felt a pull at his heart telling him that he could still redeem himself, but…no more, he thought. No more, and that is final.
 
Satoshi looked up into Krad's face carefully, used to seeing the contours of the other man's face and the tiny hints as to his emotions. In the golden eyes, he saw a flicker of something before it was covered by the usual coldness. He leaned up, grabbing the older one's arms. “Krad, please tell me what happened!” he begged the other frantically. “I have to know! I have to!”
 
Krad merely closed his eyes, pain on his sharply chiseled features. He turned away, unable to look at his host lest he should accidentally let something slip. “Satoshi-sama,” he began quietly. “Please…it involves things that cannot be spoken of, and must not be mentioned.” Satoshi stared at the angel's back, eyes glossed over with tears that refused to fall.
 
“Then take me to where he is, please!” Satoshi was almost begging now, desperate to see Daisuke again. Right now, he wanted to have the other man in his arms once more, to feel his warmth and see the vibrant red hair of his husband. He didn't want anything more. Krad finally turned around and the next words that came out of his mouth could not have made Satoshi happier and sadder at the same time.
 
“Fine. I will take you there, Satoshi-sama, but we cannot go until night falls.” The blue-haired detective slowly shut his eyes and counted to ten, reminding himself that it simply would not do to be seen flying over the rooftops of Azumano in broad daylight. He looked at Krad, blue eyes softening as he saw the way the normally aloof, arrogant being stood. His back was slightly slouched, defeat and the memory of three hundred years' worth of sorrow clearly shown in his position. Satoshi felt pity overcome him for a moment and slowly walked over to Krad. The pain in his head was gone now and he felt better, especially after that glass of water.
 
“Krad…I'm sorry.” They both knew what he was apologizing for but the blond waved it off.
 
“I should be the one apologizing. I did not understand the consequences of my behaviour toward you, Satoshi-sama.” Satoshi slowly shook his head, remembering that Daisuke had helped him to understand and forgive Krad for all that he had done. Daisuke, he thought sadly. Please…I want you back. His eyes filled up, but he refused to let the tears fall. Please…
 
Krad looked out the window of the apartment, reflecting on the events that had allowed him to return to this world along with Dark. The corner of his mouth quirked upwards in a bitter, sardonic smile at the memory as he gazed out of the window and he slowly let out a sigh. There was nothing more that he could do except try and pick up the pieces of what he had tried so hard to shatter years ago. If not for anything else, because of the promise that had been made and the bargain that had been sealed. Krad heard Satoshi get off the couch, but made no attempt to stop him from moving because there was simply no point in arguing.
 
Satoshi walked over to stand by Krad, eyes thoughtful. His brain had now kicked back and he saw the futility of just lying around worrying about Dark and Daisuke. He had a sinking feeling that if he didn't apologise quickly, Daisuke would just cut off all contact. The Niwa clan-Daisuke especially-was incredibly versatile and could easily just vanish off the face of the earth within twenty four hours if needed. The detective sighed and ran a hand through his hair, tousling it further. Krad smoothed his hair absentmindedly and for one, heartbreaking moment, Satoshi imagined that it was Daisuke gently, taking all his pain and sadness away. Again, his eyes filled up with tears but Satoshi was determined not to cry and angrily dashed the water away. Krad silently put his arms around him and both stood there, waiting for the sun to go down.
 
Dark and Daisuke:
 
Dark was shaking with laughter, the glass of iced lemon tea in his hand trembling with his movements. “I don't believe you did that!” he gasped out between gasps for air. “I-don't-believe-you-did-that!” Daisuke laughed along with him ruefully, a faint blush colouring his cheeks at the memory of the experience.
 
“Yeah I know,” he replied. “It just seemed like a good idea at the time.”
 
“You don't just grab Satoshi and kiss him on the mouth when asked about your relationship!”
 
“Hey, I was drunk, all right?”
 
Dark snickered behind his free hand, replacing the glass on the table. “Still, that's not an excuse!”
 
Daisuke blushed further and Dark resisted the urge to grab his host and do bad things to him in the restaurant, staff and customers be damned. He just looked so cute! All right, Dark thought to himself, down boy. Down. Don't get excited here.
 
Daisuke felt strangely light-hearted, a feeling that he had almost forgotten when Satoshi had started drinking. He wasn't worried anymore; he felt just like a `normal' person enjoying their closest friend's company. Without warning, the kiss with Dark popped up in his mind and he felt his face turn tomato red. “Ah, Dark…” he leaned forward across the table so that he was closer to Dark's face. He found that he couldn't look into those startling amethyst depths that always sparkled with a mischievous glint.
 
“Yes, Dai-chan?” Dark laughed as he saw Daisuke turn redder, but stopped when he caught the other man's serious expression. He, too, leaned forward. Partly because he was curious to hear what Daisuke wanted to tell him-from the looks of things, Daisuke didn't want to be heard-and also to be closer to the redhead. “I'm listening,” he said softly.
 
“Ah, about the-the…” Dark blinked. He had no clue what the other man was trying to say. Unless…a sneaking suspicion crept up on him. His eyes darted around, seeking for something to focus on. Unfortunately, they landed on Daisuke's mouth and the older one groaned softly, wishing that he could have had a better taste in the bathroom. He slowly leaned forward, more tentative than usual.
 
Daisuke stared at Dark, stammering and feeling like a fool. Here I am, talking to my best friend who's lived in my head for a year or so, and I'm unable to speak. I must look like some girl trying to admit her crush. He noticed that the thief's face was becoming alarmingly closer to his and his eyes were now only half-open. He looks…amazing…Daisuke was barely thinking before he felt a soft pressure on his lips. What the…? He felt the lips on his move gently, caressing and undemanding. A shiver of heat ran down Daisuke's body and he felt himself pressing closer to Dark, one hand reaching up to grab the other man's shirt in order to pull him closer. A flash of blue appeared in his mind's eye but it disappeared as quickly as it had arrived and the redhead threw himself into everything that Dark had to offer. The pair broke away from each other panting for air, both flushed and feeling hot. They ignored the people in the café who were staring at them, each only having eyes for the other.
 
The moment was however spoilt by the table's ominous creaking. Not built for patrons leaning on it for any more than a minute at best, the piece of furniture shook precariously. Dark swore and leaned forward instinctively, grabbing Daisuke's wrist for support. The redhead cried out in pain as the ex-thief pushed on his wrist and touched an unhealed bruise. Horrified, the amethyst eyed man quickly lifted his hand off Daisuke's wrist and hurriedly sat down, grabbing his love's hand gently and rolling up the sleeve. He stared in horror and the finger marks on the wrist and wondered who could have done this. He quickly signaled for the bill and after paying, walked out of the restaurant quickly, intent on taking Daisuke back home.
 
Satoshi and Krad:
 
Satoshi found himself looking at Krad with new eyes, discovering something new about the blond each time. He realized that Krad's…zealousness was attributed to the fear of losing him. All the Hikari had hated him and called him their curse, but somehow Satoshi had a feeling that Krad had never been asked his point of view. He resolved to try to understand Krad better. Right now, though, he wanted Daisuke back. He felt hot anger well up inside him as he thought of Dark and wished that he could get his hands around the phantom thief's throat. He's going to regret the day he was ever born, the blue-eyed detective thought grimly. He's going to beg for mercy when I'm through with him.
 
“Don't worry, it will be all right.” Krad's voice cut through the silence and Satoshi shifted in his position. Oddly enough, he was allowing Krad to hold him gently around the waist, almost the same way he would hold Daisuke.
 
“You think so?” Satoshi kept his face forward, unwilling to turn around and look at the blond who was currently holding him. He was a firm believer in the fact that people's faces could trigger many reactions in others and did not know if he could look at Krad fully in the eye without childhood memories resurfacing. With the tenacity that he was known for in the police department, Satoshi asked the question again. “Since we'll have to wait for a while, Krad, why don't you tell me how you and Dark came back?”
 
Silence. The angel finally gave in to his host's demand. “All right then,” he softly replied, “but I cannot mention certain names because of an oath of secrecy.” Satoshi nodded, wanting the story. “It all started six months ago…” Krad began.
 
-Flashback-:
 
Krad floated in nothingness, aware and unaware of everything around him at the same time. He could sense the darkness and confines of his prison; nothing else. He was accustomed to this feeling of timelessness. Then a light appeared above him, a small pinpoint gradually increasing in size to become a figure. Krad stared at the figure uncomprehendingly, only knowing that it would not hurt him. Then the person spoke. “You wish to make amends. Your soul cried out in anguish as you disappeared along with the phantom thief, also known as Dark Mousy. Is that correct?” Krad didn't realize the chance that he was being offered and laughed bitterly at the figure.
 
“Do you really think I would be able to blend in with humans just like that? Besides, the damage is irreparable. And I wouldn't be welcome by the only ones who know me.” The figure stood impassively.
 
“That's why I'm giving you a chance now.” Krad stared.
 
“Who are you, anyway?” Curiosity overpowered any other feelings that he might have had for the figure.
 
“Let's say that I am the Essence of Time. It's something that you wouldn't be able to understand.”
 
Krad shrugged. “Try me.”
 
The figure chuckled quietly. “How about…no? Answer my question first: would you like to return to the world of humans?”
 
Krad stared. “All right then…I guess…” he replied doubtfully. The figure smiled, its lips curving upwards slightly.
 
“All right then. But are two conditions that you must accept. Think of it as a bargain.” Krad shrugged.
 
“All right then.”
 
Firstly: You must take Dark Mousy, the phantom thief, along with you to the human world.” Krad was about to protest when the figure held up a hand, silencing him. “I wouldn't protest. Two small requests ares really a tiny price to pay for such a large…task.” Krad glared but held his tongue. The figure nodded and Krad felt a sense of approval radiating from it. “Secondly: You must not reveal anything about me. You may only reveal my name and nothing more.” Krad nodded. He then thought of his Satoshi-sama, now with the Niwa. A binding of the two clans, he thought jealously. The figure seemed to read his thoughts and answered accordingly.
 
“Krad Hikari…have you learned? Surely you must have learned something about love and obsession whilst in this prison of yours.” Krad stared at the figure, wondering what he meant by that particular statement.
 
“You know what I mean.” When Krad showed no sign of recognition, the figure sighed. “Love and obsession are two different things, Krad. You must learn to tell the difference between them. Love is when you will do anything for that person to make them happy, even relinquish your own claim to them. Only then can your emotions and feelings for them be truly called love. Obsession will only bring hurt and hatred to both parties. Neither will benefit from it. Now…our bargain is sealed.” The figure raised its left hand and a large sceptre suddenly materialized in its hand.
 
“Thus is the pact made. Thus is it sealed.” The figure raised the sceptre, colours of the spectrum emanating from it. Krad felt a searing pain go through his body and screamed aloud. The pain only increased in intensity and then…darkness. The next thing that he saw when he regained consciousness was Mousy's face staring at him curiously. The pair of them had quickly split up, both agreeing that being linked would not stop them from living apart and breaking the conditions of the bizarre contract that had set them free. They'd gone their own separate ways, keeping their heads down for a few months.
 
-End Flashback-
 
Satoshi looked at Krad, amazed at the way he and Dark had managed to hide themselves in a small town. Krad continued. “I think the one who had released us changed us in some way, so that people would not recognize us for what we once were.” At this, Satoshi gave a rueful smile.
 
“I guess that guy really taught you something…” Satoshi mused. Krad nodded.
 
“In a way, yes he did.” Satoshi paused, thinking. Then he spoke.
 
“I'm glad.”
 
The pair looked out the window again, noting that the sun was going down. Soon, Satoshi thought. Soon.
 
Dark and Daisuke:
 
“What was he thinking?!” Dark's enraged voice cut through the house. Daisuke winced as the elder of the two applied just a little too much pressure on his swollen knee.
 
“Argh!” Dark realized his mistake and hastily loosened his grip.
 
“Sorry,” he apologized sheepishly, although his violet eyes still danced with anger. Then back to the interrogation. “Why did he hit you?” Daisuke shrugged.
 
“I guess he was just pissed at me. He was drunk, anyway,” he said, adding on the last part too quickly for Dark's comfort. The onetime thief sighed and then gently pulled Daisuke into a hug.
 
“Listen,” he whispered softly into the other boy's hair. “You're going to tell me everything, starting from the day I left.” Daisuke took a deep breath, collecting his thoughts, and then began. It felt like the longest story he'd ever told in his life. The sky grew dark but neither of them paid attention to it, one too engrossed in his own story and the other intent on listening and piecing the jigsaw together. The door suddenly flew open and Dark immediately jumped to his feet, pushing Daisuke behind him in case it was someone dangerous. Amethyst and ruby eyes widened in shock, amazement and surprise as they met gold and azure orbs. Dark was the first one to speak. “You bastard!” Krad's face grew dark, and the kaitou pointed at Satoshi, indicating that the remark was not meant for him. Satoshi, on the other hand, winced.
 
That was pretty hard, actually. Oh, and I actually made a ten page chapter for you guys, so hopefully that'll keep you guys satisfied for a while. Don't expect anything for a long while-I'll be on holiday soon and out of the country, away from my computer. So I hope you enjoy this little chapter. Much thanks to all those who reviewed this fanfic and more reviews would be much appreciated. Thanks.
 
Trichloroethane.