Daa! Daa! Daa! Fan Fiction ❯ Making True A Promise ❯ Resonance ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Isidora: I think I can finish it. Ha ha! This is the second to the last chapter! I hope you like it!
Disclaimer: I do not own Daa! Daa! Daa!
 
Resonance
 
“You know how to find Takeshi!” Santa, Christine, Aya and Nanami said in unison.
 
Tsukishino clasped her hands together, trembling.
 
It was just 6:30 in the morning when Kanata summoned everyone in the temple and now they sat in a circle in the temple hall floors just like what they did yesterday.
 
“No. I don't have a way to find Takeshi but I have a plan for Takeshi to find Tsukishino.” Kanata said as he brought out a worn out book with crisp pages because of age.
 
“I figured that maybe Takeshi is looking for Tsukishino as well.”
 
Kanata looked at Tsukishino whose eyes met his gaze. “And maybe he would have found her if she just stayed in one place and waited.”
 
“I think I understand Kanata's point.” Aya said. “If they both look for each other, the likelihood of them being one step behind the other is possible.”
 
“What?” Santa asked, question marks popping over his head.
 
“It just means that it's possible that Tsukishino just left a place when Takeshi arrived at the same place. They didn't meet eye to eye because they were both moving around so much.” Nanami explained further.
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
Everyone looked at Tsukishino.
 
“I didn't know what else I could do.”
 
“Tsukishino.” Christine said with a consoling smile as she held Tsukishino's cold, pale hands. “Do you believe that Takeshi is looking for you?”
 
“I want to believe he is still out there.” She said softly, choking every word.
 
Aya knelt beside Tsukishino. “He is out there and he's looking for you just as you are looking for him. You just have to have faith in him.”
 
Nanami patted Tsukishino on the back. “You are lovers right? And that means he feels what you feel. If he feels that you are giving up on him, he might so don't ever think about it!”
Tsukishino's eyes lightened up. “Everyone thank you.” She bowed as she said this.
 
“Anyway, Kanata, are you suggesting that we just let Tsukishino stay in Miyu's body until Takeshi finds her?” Santa asked, skepticism written in his eyes. “It has been two hundred years since Tsukishino started looking for Takeshi, who knows when he'll find her.”
 
“I cannot assure everyone that he'll find her but this is one thing we have to try.”
 
“Fill us in.” Santa said, serious about the matter.
 
“I plan to speak with the spirits.”
 
Everyone locked their eyes on Kanata, wind whistling in the background.
 
“If we want Takeshi to find her soon we have to let him know where she is.”
 
“Kanata!” Tsukishino raised her voice for the first time. “I cannot let you!”
 
“Not all spirits are good! If you call on them they might eat your soul! I cannot allow that!” Tsukishino explained.
 
Kanata looked away from Tsukishino.
 
“I know the dangers of what I'm planning.” Kanata said in a firm voice that objection was not an option for his companions.
 
Tsukishino opened her mouth to beg for him not to continue with his plan but she saw Kanata's decided eyes and decided to keep it all to herself.
 
“So how exactly do you do what you're planning?” Santa asked. “How can we help?”
 
Tension left Kanata's face as his idea gained acceptance from his oldest childhood friend.
 
“I need help to set up the place. We need to put charms all over the temple. I will be calling spirits and as Tsukishino has said, it's possible that we will be attacked by evil spirits as well. It will be better to be cautious. We will have to keep this temple sacred.”
 
“Kanata.” Aya called nervously. “How exactly will you call on the spirits?”
 
“I will memorize this mantra and chant it while I meditate until I have reached a state of calm. Upon reaching that state I will be more sensitive to the spiritual world. I will be able to summon the spirits who can feel my presence to listen to my message.”
 
“Kanata.” Tsukishino stood up as she said his name. “Spirits do not just act without receiving anything in return. They might ask for your soul if they deliver what you want from them.”
 
Kanata nodded, aware of the possibility.
 
“Kanata, if that happens.” She smiled as she said this. “Tell them to take my soul instead.”
 
Wind blew Miyu's hair and landed softly on her back. “If that happens, Miyu can go back and I can leave this world happy. Whether Takeshi is still here in this world searching for me or not, it doesn't matter anymore. I told him before he left for war not to take my heart…”
 
Kanata remembered his dream. `Where I can't follow it.' He finished her words in his mind.
 
“Maybe I should have just stayed in one place so he can find me or maybe I've been looking for him in the wrong places but I won't allow anyone's life to be jeopardized.”
 
“And besides” she added.
 
“I feel like my heart is back being in Miyu's body.” She felt Miyu's heartbeat with her hands. “So Kanata lay my soul on the line.”
 
---+
 
Santa, Aya, Nanami and Christine started preparing the temple for the ritual Kanata will be performing after sundown. They placed charms in the temple gate, the doors, even the temple stairs. They laid out a sign by the first step that the temple was not open for visits.
 
Wannya, Ruu and Peppo stayed in their room as instructed by Kanata. He warned them that if his concentration broke for whatever reason it will be even more difficult to retrieve Miyu to her old self. The aliens understood and had every intention of staying out of trouble.
 
Kanata sat by himself in his room as he memorized the incantations. Tsukishino entered his room quietly and brought him tea and left him as soon as she entered.
 
Kanata glanced at his alarm clock. “It's time.”
 
---+
 
“Whew! We finished on time!” Santa said, still energetic.
 
“I'm really nervous about what's going to happen tonight.” Nanami expressed her insight.
 
“I feel the same Nanami. I never thought this happens in real life but here we are, just finishing the setting.” Aya said as she looked around the temple ground, charms everywhere.
 
“I hope nothing happens to Kanata.” Christine wished.
 
“I don't know about you but I trust Kanata completely.” Santa said to discourage them from getting weak in the knees.
 
“We've got an important role tonight too!” Aya exclaimed. “We have to make sure nothing breaks Kanata's concentration. As characters of this story we should take it upon ourselves to be brave not only for Kanata and Miyu but for Tsukishino!”
 
“Right!” The four said in unison.
 
---+
 
Kanata finally appeared before the temple hall.
 
“Whoa! You even wore the robes! You're going all out man!” Santa said as he looked at his friend wearing his father's robes.
 
“I feel different with these on. Somehow I feel protected.” Kanata said.
 
“So did you memorize your lines?” Aya asked.
 
“Aya this isn't a play!” Nanami laughed.
 
Kanata laughed in as well. “I did.”
 
“You're ready then?” Santa asked.
 
Kanata nodded. “Do you know what to do?”
 
“We've got it all covered! Don't worry about us!” Nanami answered.
 
“Alright then, I'm going in.” Kanata said as Tsukishino fell on his side.
 
Kanata turned his heels to enter the temple hall when Christine held his robe.
 
“Please be careful.”
 
“I will.” With that, Christine let go of his robes.
 
Kanata was ushered by Tsukishino to the temple hall.
 
“Kanata.” Tsukishino whispered. “If I never get to thank Miyu, please tell her I am very grateful to her.”
 
Kanata glanced at Tsukishino for the last time before he shut the sliding door of the temple hall.
 
But before, Kanata was able to shut it close, Tsukishino saw a woman standing inside in a kimono. She had brown hair with Kanata's eyes, smiling softly at her.
 
---+
 
Kanata found his place in the temple hall and sat himself. He placed his palms facing upward upon his knees. He closed his eyes and began chanting. He emptied his mind with all distractions. He felt like he was only in deep sleep, almost forgetting what he was doing when he felt a cold hand touch his.
 
He awoke in darkness and but found his mother sitting across him because of her beautiful green glow, which reminded him of fireflies. “It's time to do what you came here to do.”
 
Kanata went back to chanting with his eyes closed.
 
“Who are you?” A voice in his mind said.
 
“You woke me from my slumber. What do you need?” Another voice demanded.
 
“I am searching for one who is named Takeshi. A warrior of two hundred years ago.”
 
“Why do you search for a warrior, priest?” An old woman's voice hissed.
 
“His lover is waiting for him. She has searched for him but has not found him.” Kanata answered.
 
“Oh but what is in for you? You can't be just doing this because you want to help. People don't.” A young girl probably the same age as Kanata said, taunting him.
 
“Why do you even help? They can just find each other for themselves.” A temptress said her voice buttery.
 
“I need to save my friend.” Kanata said calmly. “Please help me.”
 
“What's in it for us?” Kanata heard a snarl.
 
“We may be able to help you find what you need but there has to be a prize.” Kanata almost felt a dagger through his throat.
 
“I do not need help from you who want to take advantage of people's weaknesses.” Kanata said coldly.
 
“You will never get someone to help you, boy.” The temptress, her voice mocking.
 
Soon, Kanata didn't hear voices. There was nothing but silence until he heard the sound of a brook.
 
“I heard your plea, child.” An old woman said her voice almost like a caress.
 
Kanata's heart beat grew louder because of anticipation.
 
“I am a brook. My waters pass through rivers, lakes and seas. I might be able to bring your message with me through my travels.”
 
“Thank you.” Kanata said trusting the voice in his head.
 
“Where will the maiden be found?” Another voice said her voice sounded like it was carried by the wind.
 
“In a temple in Heiomachi.” Kanata said, ready for anything now that he has disclosed Tsukishino's whereabouts.
 
“I am a cherry blossom tree. My blossoms will soon leave me. I will be sure to have them carry that message until only their last fragrance is left.”
 
Kanata smiled because of the generosity of his correspondents but suddenly he felt weak and the darkness swallowed him.
 
---+
 
Tsukishino watched as the three teens guarding the temple grounds sleep despite their attempts to keep watch of the temple all throughout the night.
 
She watched Miyu's body shivered in the cold of the morning. She hugged herself to keep Miyu's body warm. She didn't feel the cold but she knew she had to take care of Miyu's body for her.
 
She gazed into the sky and watched as the first rays of the sun appear. “It's morning.”
 
She looked at the temple door and felt that Kanata's spirit energy was still burning but slowly depleting. She stood up from where she sat and looked concerned. It was then that she heard a soft thud from inside the temple hall. She ran inside not caring whether it would anger Kanata.
 
Inside, she found fireflies dancing around Kanata's sleeping form. And as if it was a constellation, the woman she saw earlier with the same brown eyes as Kanata appeared. She stroke Kanata's hair but simply went through it.
 
She laughed at her silliness. “He lost a lot of his energy. He was just lucky to be wearing his father's robes which contained some of his spirit energy that's why he was able to pull himself out.”
 
Tsukishino sighed, relieved. Tears brimming in her eyes.
 
“Sleep well, Kanata.” His mother said before she left his side.
 
---+
 
To be continued
 
---+
 
Isidora: Fun or no fun? Tell me! Just click the box over there at the left to leave me a review! Thanks! And sorry if anything here is misspelled or I got the grammar wrong, I will fix that when my brain is functioning. My head aches from so much thinking of this story! Ha ha! See you in the last chapter!