Danny Phantom Fan Fiction ❯ Posthumous Legacies ❯ The First Battle ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Posthumous Legacies
 
---
You would kill all the sick ones
You would bury them deep in the earth
---
 
Chapter Four: The First Battle
 
Grey picked me up from the café and we talked. I half-explained my situation, leaving out certain parts.
 
She was understanding. She even understood the ghost part. She helped me. I think I'll be staying here for a while.
 
A few days of staying at Grey's I see why the ghost thing wasn't so terrifying.
 
It seems Helhera has its own slew of ghosts.
 
I saw it. It wasn't any of the ghosts I'd ever seen before. But then I realized I'd stolen a few things from long ago, from when we were all still friends.
 
I wondered…
 
I headed back to Grey's calmly, but on the inside I was jumping. Because I had made my decision. And that was what this whole thing had been about. My decisions. I had to make the decisions for myself, because that's what I haven't been doing.
 
So I made my decision.
 
And as I spoke with Grey, I could see ideas light up in her hand.
 
She could help.
 
We'd work together.
 
Danny would be proud.
 
---
 
The first thought that came to Sam's mind:
 
`Shit.'
 
The black creature slammed its fist into her. She ducked in time and rolled under him, pulling a knife from the inside of her jacket. She slashed through the creature's tail and it growled, lunging for her.
 
But she was already on the move.
 
`Great. A big baddie out to kill me. What could possible make this worse?'
 
So of course it was the perfect time for her cell phone to go off.
 
Sam was just about ready to kill herself.
 
She flipped open the phone and glanced behind her. The ghost was coming on fast.
 
“What?” she hissed.
 
“Hey, Sam,” came the voice of Grey, “I think we've got a breach…”
 
“What are you talking about?”
 
“There's this ghost named Technus going through my files and…”
 
Sam had already clicked the phone shut and grabbed the Ghost Blaster from her side pocket. She aimed quickly and fired three shots: one towards the creature, and two off to the side in case he decided to split.
 
But it did something different instead.
 
It disappeared into the ground.
 
Sam stopped.
 
This was not good.
 
She opened the phone again, pressing the speed dial for Grey.
 
“You know,” she answered, “It's rude to hang up on-”
 
“Shut it,” Sam hissed, feeling completely vulnerable, “You say Technus is going through your files?”
 
“He talks a lot.”
 
“You have that back up drive, right? All your files are on it?”
 
“What does that have to-”
 
“Do you?” she pressed.
 
“Yes!”
 
“Then erase your files.”
 
What?!”
 
“You heard me! All of them!”
 
“But…”
 
“Grey, this is seriously not a good time. I've got to-”
 
And that's when she was pulled down.
 
---
 
Grey stared at her phone angrily. Sam was really starting to piss her off.
 
But there was the matter at hand.
 
She turned to her computer. The ghost was still babbling, something about his plan to do something or other. (She wasn't really paying attention.) It was just last night that she'd updated all her files to her backup drive, including the ones from her laptop. So it wouldn't be so horrible if she erased everything…
 
She still cringed as she moved the mouse on her computer, glancing at the files being sorted through. Hesitantly she clicked a few more files open when an idea struck her.
 
As much as it would pain her to hurt her precious computer… what if she infected it with a virus…?
 
And so she got to work.
 
---
 
Sam yelped as she felt the cold clammy hands grab her ankles and begin to pull her down. Unfortunately for the ghost, she'd had experience with this sort of thing before.
 
She jumped back, kicking her legs to loosen the ghost's grip. This messed up her landing, and she fell backwards, landing on a few garbage cans. The ghost rose up, glowering over her, and she smirked.
 
“Gotcha,” she whispered and fired out a net. It wrapped itself around the ghost, electrifying it. That would cancel out its energy, and it would leave it helpless.
 
It howled in pain, attempting to rip off the net. Sam stood over it, holding out her scythe.
 
“And what do you plan to do with me now?” it growled.
 
“Simple enough,” she answered, “I plan to send you back to the Ghost Zone.”
 
“My master will simply bring me back.”
 
“That works. Just tell your master the Reaper says hello.”
 
And she sliced through it.
 
---
 
Grey couldn't watch her computer deteriorate before her eyes. Instead, she turned off the monitor and relished the horrified scream of Technus. The death of her computer was horrifying and heart-breaking.
 
She didn't dare turn on any other appliances. She wanted to make sure the damn ghost was back to whatever hell he came from before risking her precious Lappy or backup drive. She seriously considered texting TF from her cell, but she might end up sending him the ghost, and that was not a good thing.
 
She heard the door open, slam shut, and Sam's steel-toed boots clonking down the stairs.
 
“Grey?” came her weary call, “Is there still a ghost in your computer?”
 
Sam opened the door, and her eyes went wide at the sad Grey curled up on her bed.
 
“Is there something wrong?” she asked.
 
Grey nodded slowly.
 
“I killed my computer!” she wailed.
 
Sam started, blinked, then broke out into wide, uncontrollable laughter. She knelt down, clutching her sides, collapsing to the ground.
 
Grey stared at her, hurt washing over her face.
 
“It's not funny,” she murmured.
 
“It's… it's…” Sam couldn't even speak. “…Hilarious…”
 
Grey growled. “Whatever.” She blinked, her expression turning to an amused one. “What happened to you?”
 
“Baddie…” She was still laughing, “…fought… won… So… funny…”
 
“I hate you.”
 
“I know.”