Death Note Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ New World, Take Two ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Delete!" Mikami said, from behind the door, as he was writing down the names. "Delete! Delete! Delete! Delete!"

Light couldn't help being slightly annoyed by Mikami's little quirk. This moment was supposed to be dramatic, not a joke. Still, he was willing to forgive this if it meant being rid of Near.

"Delete!" said Mikami, finished with his task. They now had forty seconds before the deaths would take effect.

"You can come in," said Near, apparently confident that the people there wouldn't die.

Mikami entered the room.

"How much time has it been?" asked Light.

"Thirty-five seconds," replied Mikami. "Thirty-six, thirty-seven..."

"Well, Near, it looks like I've won."

"Forty," Mikami said, announcing their time had run out.

Indeed, as if on cue, everyone there except Light and Mikami began having a heart attack. Seeing the look upon Near's face, Light could no longer contain himself and nearly fell over laughing. Near really was just an inferior substitute for L.

Soon it was all over. Both teams that had investigated the Kira case were gone, and with them the only real obstacle to Light's reign as the God of the New World.

"God," said Mikami, "do you know why that boy thought they'd survive?"

"It has to with why I had you use the fake notebook," said Light. "I figured Near's men would try to tamper with it, so I wanted to make sure the real notebook was somewhere else when that happened."

"So, what should I do next?"

"Go back to your usual routine and wait for further instructions."

Mikami left the building for home. On the way there, he couldn't help wondering if he'd done the right thing by not dealing with Takada. In the end, he decided his God wouldn't want him making such an important move on his own.

Meanwhile, Light had another matter to deal with. He never really loved Misa, and she was of no further use to him. With no one left to challenge him, he now had to figure out how to deal with her...