Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Deceit ❯ Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Death Note or any of the characters thereof, except for the ones I have created specifically for this story. I am writing this story for entertainment purposes only.
 
Chapter two
 
Raito, after picking up a pager at an electronic store, arrived home in record time, he couldn't waste time while looking up that man's name, Suzuki Kaji, and ask for his help. After a quick search online, he found the patient's phone number and then left, glad his father wasn't home to spy on his strange outings.
 
Raito then biked to a telephone booth two miles away and dialed the number.
 
Moshi, moshi,” a man answered. Hello?
 
“Is this Suzuki Kaji?”
 
“This is he, who is this?” Kaji asked.
 
“Do you support Kira's ideals?”
 
“I do, as a matter of—”
 
“My time is short Suzuki-san, I need you to give me one of your friend's number who also thinks highly of Kira's ideals,” Raito said and paused, “I am he.”
 
“Y-you're Kira?!” he yelped.
 
“Yes, and I want to distance myself as much as I can from other people. Police are on my tail and I need an assistant, an accomplice in their eyes.”
 
“Oh, I see your need in of one, I would gladly help you. I know a good friend of mine who can be of use to you, his name is Kurosaki Dante, and the number is…”
 
Raito quickly copied the number and smiled to himself, “Thank you Suzuki-san. Please do not talk about this conversation to anyone. Not even your friend, Kurosaki Dante. It is very important that there are no ties to anyone, to me, not even a hint of it. You understand?”
 
“Yes, yes, I swear on my heart and hope to die, I am very happy to be of use to you. Really happy. I can die happy now. Did you know that I nearly died a week ago? I am glad to be given a second chance and be of some use to someone else. I have been waiting for this opportunity… I'm sorry, I'm taking up your time Kira. Good night, Kira, may you have the best blessings,” Kaji said.
 
“You too, Suzuki-san, I am very grateful to you. Good night.”
 
Raito hung up and then put in another couple of yen and dialed again.
 
Moshi, moshi.”
 
“Is this Kurosaki Dante?”
 
“Yes, this is he, and whom am I speaking to?”
 
“Do you believe in Kira's beliefs?” Raito asked.
 
“Yes, I am a firm believer, why?” Dante asked with suspicion in his voice, “You're not the police are you?”
 
“No,” Raito replied and chuckled, “I am Kira himself. I need your help in becoming my assistant.”
 
“Kira! Is this really true?” he asked and paused to gather his thoughts, “I don't believe you, can you prove it?”
 
“I really don't have a whole lot of time on my hands but I can prove it to you in one hour, just name the criminal and you will know. I will give you my pager number that only you will know and it's anonymous so it can't trace back to me if you or the police try to track me down. The number is this…” Raito told him the number.
 
“Okay, I got it, I think you're legit…” Kurosaki said.
 
“Now, will you help me?”
 
“Yes, just say the word please,” Dante said and Raito detected a smile in his new assistant's voice.
 
Raito smirked, “All right, here's the plan…”
 
 
Two days later just after Raito finished his dinner, his pager vibrated and he excused himself from the kitchen and went out, thankful that his father was still in hospital. After riding his bike, he rode to the phone booth and dialed the number.
 
“Kira?” the man answered.
 
“This is he.”
 
“They broadcasted the thing here and the name is Fujiwara Momoji, as for his photo, I will put it up on a bulletin board in Gokozaimasu station in about thirty minutes,” Dante said.
 
“Very good… hm, that is a different guy than what was broadcasted here. Thanks, I'll be there. Take the poster down in half hour's time from when you put it up, I don't want to risk exposing myself even to you,” Raito said, “Thanks for your assistance. Good bye.”
 
“Good night Kira,” Dante said and both hung up.
 
Raito then began cycling to the station and fifty five minutes later, he parked his bike without chaining it up. He walked down the stairs and saw a bulletin board. It was easy to see which piece of paper he was looking for. He didn't deliberate in observing his surrounding but noticed a man sitting on a bench, facing the bulletin board. Raito passed the board with a group of people heading in the same direction and took a quick glance at the picture and kept walking and after checking his ticket, he approached the train and hopped on.
 
He took out a paper and wrote the criminal's name down, remembering the picture. The man had a broad face with squinty eyes, with bald head and large wide nose. The criminal seemed to be of a mixed-race, like Hispanic or Arabic.
 
Fujiwara Momoji
 
Raito smirked to himself, glad he got himself an assistant, an accomplice. He would use him for later uses, or if things got too inconvenient, he could kill him off—once he found the face to match his accomplice's name.
 
 
Raito arrived at the hotel room and after he slipped his slippers on, he greeted other members of the team.
 
“Hello, anything new?” Raito asked, accepting vanilla flavored ice cream from Watari.
 
“Hi Raito-kun,” Ryuuzaki said, briefly looking at the new arrival and refocused his attention on the notes in front of him.
 
“There is indeed something new, I have determined that the killer lives, or at least, was in Gokozaimasu section of Kanto when it took place. Funny thing is though, it took Kira nearly an hour to kill him after he was broadcasted. I wonder why he waited an hour? Perhaps he was busy and had recorded the television channel and saw it on tape and killed accordingly… this is difficult, do you have anything to shed light on this new evidence, Raito-kun?” he asked, looking up at him again.
 
“Let me look over this a minute,” Raito said, approaching the notes and read over them.
 
`Hm, it appears that because of my rush actions, I had forgotten to include a different means of death to throw them off, to reason for the timing in the death of Fujiwara Momiji… In their eyes,' Raito thought, looking at Ryuuzaki who was studying him intently, chewing on his own infernal thumb silently, `I'm still not redeemed because of the time it elapsed,' he looked down at the notes again, `it is also possible to think that `Kira' used a device to record news programming to kill off criminals. I could also offer that `Kira' has an accomplice to use. It is not farfetched that people are willing to help Kira. After all, I have experienced that…'
 
“Well, Ryuuzaki,” Raito began, putting the notes down on the table, “I think Kira is also using someone as an accomplice. It would explain the time difference. Somehow, I don't think Kira would allow himself to have any ties to anyone to reduce evidence so it's possible that he had to use a recording device and caught the broadcast later. Or everything was done to throw us off.”
 
“Hm, I haven't thought of that possibility, an accomplice would make things harder or easier for us. It is dangerous for Kira to use someone. If he had to retort to using someone, that means he's getting the information that we are using, and that he actually lost because he had to use someone else's help,” Ryuuzaki stared at Raito in the eyes, “that alone could single you as Kira.”
 
The occupants in the room froze, no one dared to breathe but Raito, who simply stared back and raised his hand as if to say what-will-I-do?
 
“The other reason that Kira was delayed might have been influenced by many factors, so the recording device is very probable, even realistic to think in this sense,” Ryuuzaki continued as though the members of the team had not stopped moving.
 
Raito sat down, finishing the last bit of his ice cream, appearing to be deep in thought.
 
“How do we drag out Kira? To gain more evidence?” Raito spoke out loud, echoing everyone's thoughts.
 
 
As the days passed, Raito and Ryuuzaki spent more and more time together, one trying to solve the Kira case, and the other, one's name. It was the day that Raito's father, Chief Yagami, returned home from the hospital when things became different in the Presidential suite hotel at a different location.
 
“Raito… considering all the data we have been going through, it seems that it is very suspicious that you fit most, if not all, the evidences we have gathered… can you tell me, what would Kira be thinking of next?” Ryuuzaki asked, looking at Raito while chewing on a taffy.
 
“Well, if I were Kira, I would probably try to crack codes at a major police bureau to collect information on criminals that are not reported to the public. Barring that, if I were him, I probably want to remain—”
 
“Son!” Yagami yelled, panting slightly, “I do wish you would stop with the `if I were Kira,' nonsense. You aren't Kira so please, stop talking as though you might be him.”
 
“Father…” Raito said.
 
“You aren't Kira,” Chief Yagami said with finality.
 
“That's correct… Raito-kun isn't Kira…” Ryuuzaki said, lifting a piece of cake, “or should I say, it'd be a problem if he was, because… Raito-kun is… the first friend I've ever had.”
 
He ate his cake and swallowed in silence and Raito smiled.
 
“You're a friend that I really get on with as well,” Raito said, “It's lonely with you being absent from the university. I'd like to play tennis again with you at some point.”
 
Ryuuzaki smiled and nodded, “Yes, by all means, I would like to play again. There isn't anyone else like you who understand how I think, how I do things. I am willing to think that it is the same thing for you.”
 
Raito tilt his head in affirmation with a small smile of friendship.