Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Innocence ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
DISCLAIMER: Death Note belongs to Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. The characters appearing in this story belong to Jinx unless stated otherwise.
Author's Note: Well, this is the first fanfiction I've written in well over five years. I usually stick to writing original stories, but so much can still be done with DN. The creators left the ending open, so why not take advantage of that instead of making romance fanfics about LxLight?
___________________________________________________________________________ ___

The huamn whose name is written in this note shall die.
Zane had never encountered anything such as this before. He wondered whether it was a joke or not. Could a notebook such as this really exist? Ever since an older classmate had told him Santa didn't exist, it was impossible for him to believe anything without proof.

Yet, as he sat in his room playing with his various action figures, his eyes continued to wander over to the red notebook. What's the harm in writing in it? Its probably just like Santa...nothing but a fake. With one last glance at his Justice League action figures, he hesitantly made his way over to the notebook. Retrieving a pencil from his backpack, he opened the bloodred cover, resting the pencil point on the lined paper.

What's going to happen after I write a name? Whose name do I write? Someone I dislike.

At eight years old, his only enemies were vegetables and homework. He always got along with his classmates, and his family loved him too much to try to harm him. Jason Parish. The bully who had ruined the illusion of Christmas. The one who killed Santa. Jason was two years older than Zane. The two of them used to be good friends until the day Jason told him the truth about the jolly fat guy. Santa Claus wasn't real. With pencil in hand, he scribled out the boys name.

Zane placed his pencil beside the notebook and waited. Five minutes passed, but the notebook did nothing. It must have been a fake too. Still, Zane continued to stare at the notebook, still expecting it to do something. It wasn't until after he heard his mother calling for him that he moved.

"Zane, time for dinner!" He heard his mother yell from the bottom of the stairs.

"Be right down mommy!" Zane replied. After placing the notebook in his backpack he went to the bathroom and washed his hands before going downstairs.

Zane was greeted at the bottom of the stairs by his mother, a slender middle-age woman with light brown hair and bright blue eyes. Those same eyes stared up at her, filled with innocence only a child could possess. The two of them walked into the kitchen, where the table was set for three.

A man with graying hair sat at the table, waiting for them. The mixture of black and gray hair combined with the crows feet around his eyes gave him a much older appearance. At forty-four, he was often mistaken for being in his late sixties. Zane and his mother sat on either side of him at the table.

Throughout the meal, Zane's father questioned him about school and homework. Occassionally the conversation would switch to his upcoming birthday, and whether or not he would have a party. Zane became excited with the talk of a party. He had wanted to invite a bunch of classmates over for a swimming party.

"Eat your vegetables for a full week and we'll see." his mother replied.

"Eww....even the brocoli?" Zane made a funny face at the thought of eating brocoli.

"Well, maybe not the brocoli. But all the others." his father winked at him.

After dinner Zane and his mother headed upstairs for his bath. Once he was clean and dry she helped him put away his toys, and then tucked him into bed.

"Sweet dreams, honey." his mother said as she stood in light from the hallway.

"Night mommy." Zane replied as his mother pulled the door closed.