Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Poison ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I hate Kira. No, scratch that. I don't hate him. I despise him.
 
I don't want to see him captured. I don't want to see him brought to justice. Fuck justice. Fuck the people he's killed in the name of it. I don't care about them anymore. I never did, I guess. It's Kira. It's always been Kira. Kira, Kira Kira! So no, I don't want to hand him over to the police. I don't want to give him justice. I want him dead.
 
I want him out of my every waking moment, out of my thoughts, out of my mind! He's taken everything from me! My choices, my decisions, my dreams, my heart...
 
My heart. Yes, that's the one that hurt the most. Ever since Kira plagued this planet with his perverted delusion of justice, I've tried to live as I did before—calm, aloof, and stubborn at times, I'll admit. Then those detectives brought in someone I'd never expected to fall for. Hell, I never thought I'd love anyone. But there he was; the apple in Eden, and Kira, the angel with the fiery sword, between us.
 
I reached for him thousands of times, desperate to taste that sweet sin, but for every one step I took towards him, Kira pushed me back two. That disgusting, vile, power-hungry brat, he just couldn't stop at killing, could he? He has to make everyone fear him, respect him, worship him.
 
And he does. He cares more about Kira than he does anyone else. For all he cares, we can all just go to hell, and he wouldn't spare a second glance. He says Kira's evil, but he doesn't believe it any more than I do. He thinks like Kira, plots like Kira, eats, sleeps, breathes Kira—practically is Kira!
 
Kira is not a God. He is not a criminal. He is not human. He is a fucking brick wall, standing between me and the only person I would give everything to have. The one person I want and, thanks to this wall between us, never can have. Sometimes I can see his hands pressed on the stones, as if listening to his name being screamed from the other side, wondering what it could possibly mean. Wondering if he should bother to see who's calling him so desperately and possibly raise a finger to ease their suffering. Or is he simply beyond caring, and just loves to hear his name said in such a helpless manner?
 
I wouldn't be surprised. When I met him, something about him had the detectives looking up to him, despite the fact he was young enough to be their son. No. I wouldn't be surprised at all.
 
He would laugh at my touch, I know it, but perhaps it's just that serpent-woman whispering her venom in my ears. She will not let me have him; not ever. Because it's Kira she loves as well, and she knows Kira will die if I get my way. And I am not to touch him. Ever. She will risk no harm to Kira.
 
But she has nothing to worry about.
 
L sees Kira.
 
Never me.
 
----------------------------
 
Okay, just something I threw together, but I hope you like it. If you couldn't tell, it's from Light's POV. This is my first time writing Light in first-person, so it may be a bit OOC. I'm sorry if it is. Any improvements for the future, please e-mail me or leave a review! Thank you for reading!