Digimon Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Diamon Serenades ❯ Hero ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"Hero"

By: Squall

"Ugh! My head" said Squall: a boy with long scruffy black hair, brown eyes a dimple in his chin and a heart-shaped scar about his left eyebrow. His Digiworld attire featured a black leather jacket (decorated with pictures of dragons), a pair of blue bellbottom jeans and black boots. There was also the black baseball cap and goggles he always wore.

He looked around and realized that he was in a cage being suspended over a black pit. The pit was illuminated only by a fiery red glow deep within in it.

"Your finally awake!" a girl's voice spoke up. Squall looked to his left and saw a girl who boor some resemblance to Mimi. Of course, there were a few notable differences. For one, her hair and eyes were equal shades of sky blue. Her hair was also done up in two Sailor Moon style buns with two thick strands of hair framing her smooth face and coming down to her shoulders. She wore plane shoes, short pants, a tank top and a star locket around her neck.

"Where am I? Who're you?" he said, holding his head.

"You don't remember?" she asked him. It was slowly coming back to him. He and his Digimon had been clearing out control spires when they heard someone scream for help. He ran to their aid and saw this girl being attack by an evil Digimon. He did not get a good look at the Digimon, all he knew was that the Digimon turned on him and then… blackness. Then he woke up here.

He looked around and then he realized something. "Where's Diamon!" he shouted, almost frantic.

"Sorry. I don't know what happened to our Digimon," said the girl. Squall frowned.

"Oh! Excuse my rudeness. My name's Squall." the boy blurted out suddenly.

"Skye. Nice to meet you." the girl replied. Squall sighed.

"I hope our Digimon are alright." He said.

"Me too." She agreed.

Magimon awoke in a clearing, her head throbbing with a dull pain. She held it and moaned. She was a Digimon who was almost the spitting image of Gatomon; accept for the fact that her gloves, ear tips and stripes were sky blue. She looked up and saw that it was still night.

"Ah. You're awake." She looked forward and sitting across a campfire from her was a black and white rabbit/opossum-like Digimon with reddish-orange eyes, a scruff of white hair between his tall ears and a long white tail adorned with a platinum tail ring, the Digital Hazard symbol in plain view on his chest.

"Who're you?" she asked him.

"The name's Diamon." He answered.

Magimon looked around and realized something. "Where's Skye!?" she shouted suddenly.

"Sorry… I don't know. I don't even know where my own partner is." He replied sadly. She then got up and started to walk away. "Where're you going?" Diamon blurted quickly.

"I haveta find Skye!" Magimon replied.

"But, it's dangerous out there…" he warned. She did not listen.

She walked away from him and wandered into the woods. Diamon's ears drooped and his eyes turned blue.

"I didn't even learn her name…" he said to himself, sorrowfully.

Magimon got lost quickly. She did not realize how dark it was and as soon as she was out of range of the campfire visibility dropped to almost nothing. She could barely see her pawn in front of her face.

She heard something rustle in the bushes but did not pay much attention to it. She had to find her partner... she had to find Skye.

Suddenly, a large figure emerged from the dense foliage. In the darkness, Magimon could not make out what it was or whether it was friend or foe. Then, the large figure released an ear-piercing shriek, and she recognized it instantly.

"Kuwagamon…" she breathed with fear.

Startled, she tried to backup but stumbled and fell backwards. Kuwagamon advanced on her and just as he was about to strike-

"Dia-Force!!!" she heard someone shout as two energy spheres shot forth and exploded on Kuwagamon's chest and face, illuminating the darkness for a few fleeting moments. The great bug cried out in pain before collapsing.

That was when Diamon leapt out of the bushes and ran up to Magimon.

"Are you alright?" he asked while helping her up. As soon as he took her hand he blushed slightly as his eyes turned florescent pink.

"I'm fine. Thank you." she replied.

He shook his head and the flush vanished from his face. "Told y' it was dangerous." He said with a smile as his eyes returned to reddish-orange. "By the way, didn't catch your name."

"Magimon." She stated simply. Suddenly the pair heard Kuwagamon moan.

"We better move it." Diamon suggested. "He's gonna be real cranky when he wakes up from that nap." Without another words they started off.

"It sure is dark around here." Magimon observed.

Diamon held out one hand while closing his eyes with concentration. Suddenly, he produced a Ping-Pong ball sized energy sphere. Once the sphere came into being it began to provide a little illumination.

"Neat trick!" the feline commented.

"Nah! It's nothing!" he replied as he placed the sphere above his head. It hovered there between his tall ears with no form of support whatsoever. It was a bit weird, but looked cool. "So any idea what exactly happened to us. All I really remember is that me and Squall came to help you, then I got knocked out, then I woke up, found you and made the fire to keep us warm."

"Skye and me got attacked by an evil Digimon on that cliff by the edge of the forest, maybe we got knocked off it during the battle." Magimon offered.

"But what about our partners?" Diamon asked.

"That I don't know…" her face took on a look of distress and Diamon slumped beside a tree.

"Squall… where are you…?" he said in sorrow. He actually started to tear up a little as his eyes turned blue.

"What's the matter?" Magimon asked, feeling sad herself.

"Nothing…" he lied while trying to blink back his tears.

"We gotta go find our partners…" Magimon said, sounding just as unhappy. Diamon sighed.

"I wish Squall were here. He'd know what to do."

"I know… I wish Skye was here to cheer me up…"

Diamon smiled: "Me 'n Squall would do everything together. Watch TV, play video games, listen to rock 'n roll… everything!"

"Yeah, I know. Skye and me are pretty close to." she smiled too. She sighed and suddenly looked sad again. "I wish I were stronger. If I had done better this wouldn't have happened."

"I'm sure you did the best that you could. Some things are just unavoidable." The rabbit/opossum-like Digimon offered. "Don't feel bad. Your partner wouldn't want you to feel bad. I know mine wouldn't."

"You're right…" she smiled but then took a determined look. "We must find them!"

"I hear y' but y' know, it is kindda late." Diamon began. "We won't be any good to them if we're dead tired. Maybe we should just turn in for the night." She looked at him surprised and he understood what she was getting at without her even saying a word. "Don't look at me like that! I don't like it either but we need our rest." she nodded with understanding and sat down leaning against a tree across from him.

"You better douse your 'light'." She said to him. "Any mean Digimon looking to make us a midnight snack would be able to spot us easily if you leave it on." He complied quickly, plucking the energy sphere from between his ears and extinguishing it. Afterward he jumped up into the tree he had been leaning against. He coiled his tail tightly against a medium high branch and dropped from the limb, hand from it by his tail (being a rabbit/opossum Digimon, he sleeps hanging upside-down from tree limbs or anything else he can find).

At the same time, Magimon gathered some leaves and other such things together, making a makeshift bed and pillow.

Resting as comfortably as they could, the pair fell asleep with fond thoughts of their partners running through their heads.

Would you dance

If I asked you to dance?

Would you run

And never look back?

Would you cry

If you saw me cry?

Would you save my soul, tonight?

In the cage, Squall could hardly believe what Skye had just told him.

"You're… the Digi-Princess??" Squall blurted out. He just had to make sure.

"Yup! It's like I said. I'm the princess." She confirmed.

"Y' think maybe that's why that evil Digimon was after you?" asked the boy.

"Maybe. I'm not sure." She replied.

"Who was that guy, anyway?" Squall asked.

"I don't know. It was too dark. I couldn't get a good look at him." Skye said disappointedly.

"My ears are burning…" a third voice (which was vaguely familiar to Skye) chimed in.

"Who are you!" Skye shouted. The Digimon stood in the shadows so she still could not get a good look at him.

"In due time, princess. I will answer that once all the players are present." The Digimon replied to her.

"Let us go!" Squall, always a bit of a hothead, rattled the bars of the cage as he shouted.

The Digimon paid no attention to him and merely turned and walked away. Squall slumped back in the cage.

"We gotta get outta here…" he said a moment later.

"I know…" Skye agreed. "I just hope our Digimon are alright…"

Early the next morning, the shining light of the sun caused Diamon to stir from his sleep. He forgetting where he was, he relaxed the mussels in his tail and wound up dropping to the ground with a hard thud. He sat up, shaking off the stun of the fall. He yawned while stretching before then rubbing the sleep from his eyes with the back of his hand. He looked around and saw Magimon sleeping soundly near by.

In the early morning light Diamon got his very first good look at the feline Digimon. Her fur was somewhat sooty, as was his. Dirt from when they fell off the cliff or perhaps from sleeping on the bare ground, he did not know. All he knew was that in spite of the soot, she looked absolutely stunning to him.

His eyes turned florescent pink as he blushed furiously. He got up on all fours (odd since he usually walks on two legs) and silently walked over to her, trying hard not to make too much noise and wake her. He stood over her, looked down and sighed.

As she slept there she seemed to radiate with an angelic beauty. Watching her sleep somehow reminded him of the story of Sleeping Beauty. Then for some reason he suddenly remembered the time he was watching the movie, The Fifth Element, with Squall. Especially the scene where Lilu lay unconscious on the couch and Corbin Dallas attempted to wake her with a kiss. And much like that situation with Corbin, Magimon seemed so beautiful to Diamon he could not help himself. And so, very cautiously, he leaned over to plant a soft kiss on her lips.

He touched his lips to hers, anxiety racing through him as he held them there, savoring the moment. Then suddenly, Magimon's eyes flung open.

Diamon froze. He was so surprised he could not move even as his lips remained pressed to hers. As for Magimon, waking up to this, naturally, she was shocked. So shocked in fact that she could not even react. She just laid there, a nervous sweat sliding down her face as she trembled a bit. Finally, she snapped to her senses, her left paw coming up quickly to connect with his cheek, sending the rabbit/opossum-like Digimon sailing to the side.

Diamon found himself sprawled out on his back. And before he was even sure of what hit him, she was on him, her right paw clamped lightly around his neck.

"What exactly were you doing?" she hissed through gritted teeth. She could feel Diamon swallowing the lump in his throat.

"Well," he began hoarsely, coughing a bit. "Y' see, I woke up and saw you sleeping there. And you looked so beautiful just lying there and I guess I just couldn't help myself… I… I'm sorry…" he said while feeling very regretful. He suddenly remembered how that scene from The Fifth Element ended. Lilu woke up and held a gun to Corbin's head!

Magimon released her grip on him and looked at him for a while, eyes wide. He seemed sincere enough. And yet, Magimon could see that there seemed to be a childlike innocence about him, a longing for comforting surroundings, as well. And she knew he meant her no harm. She was also a bit flattered that he thought such nice things about her.

She released her hold on his neck and climbed off of him. She sat down beside him, blushing a bit as she laughed in spite of herself. He sat up and looked at her.

"What's so funny?" he said, looking confused at her (his eyes turning purple). Realizing that laughing might hurt his feelings she quickly composed herself.

"Oh nothing!" she said quickly.

"Well, anyway, we better get going. The quicker we get moving the quicker we can find our Digidestined!" they started to walk off together. Then Diamon turned to Magimon to say, "I really am sorry if I offended you. Really!"

"It's alright. I forgive you." she smiled.

"So, Magimon, umm… where y' from?" Diamon said suddenly. After the incident earlier the pair had been walking in complete silence. Diamon could feel the tension building and thought that he should try to break it by starting a conversation. He was not sure why he picked that particular topic, though.

"Why do you wanna know?" she asked

"I just do…" he shrugged.

"It's a long and sad story… y' sure you wanna know?"

"I've been through my share of tearjerkers… I think I can handle it." Diamon said. She sighed.

"Okay…" she breathed in, then out again before beginning. "You know Gatomon's story, right?" he nodded. "Well, my tale is somewhat similar. Like her, my Digi-egg was supposed to hatch with the others. But when things went wrong, when Gennai was moving the eggs, he dropped Gatomon's... and then later on, mine. MegnaLadyDevimon found my egg and raised me as her own."

"MegnaLadyDevimon, eh?" Diamon cocked an eyebrow.

"Oh yes. She was my mentor." Magimon continued. "I was trained by the best of the darkness masters, and lived in the darkness headquarters. At first I was scared, but MegnaLadyDevimon always stood up for me. But there was this one evil Digimon who I could never take my eyes off of. That was Satinmon."

"Satinmon?" Diamon inquired.

"Yes, that's correct. And he was one chilling character, let me tell you. He looked so frightening, his hair was made of snakes, his eyes glowed, and he had twelve different legs. His most powerful attack was Crimson Fire Blast. It would set his enemy on fire, and then they would be frozen into rock, so that they would burn forever!

"Whoa!" Diamon breathed.

"'Whoa' is right! Every time he caught me starring at him he'd whip me with his Nova darkness.

"One day, when they found out the ring on my tale," she brought her tale around and polished the ring with her gloved paw, "could be used for transport to the real world, I got orders to scout a small island. Its name was Cheruchii Island."

"Cheruchii Island?" said Diamon.

"It's a Hawaiian island. Anyway, once there I met Skye. Meeting her, I couldn't help but feel connected to her. I explained this to MegnaLadyDevimon-who'd never done one good thing in her life-told me that my purpose wasn't to fight on the side of evil, but the side of right. She explained the whole entire story to me. And the Prophecies that went with Skye that my duty was to protect the Digi-Princess.

"Satinmon found out about what MegnaLadyDevimon had done for me and… and… and… he punished her with his Crimson fire blast!" She broke off and started to sob.

"Oh… my condolences…" was all Diamon could say as his eyes turned blue.

"That's alright. It took some time but that old wound has healed." She dried her eyes and looked at him. "How 'bout you? I told you my story, now it's your turn."

"My story's long and complicated. Y' sure y' wanna hear it." Diamon warned.

"Our search for our partners hasn't gone very far, gotta do something to pass the time." She shrugged. He paused for a moment before commencing.

"It both begins and ends with Omnimon's battle with Diaboromon on the Internet. For you see, Diaboromon and I are one in the same… or at least, we were."

Magimon cocked her head to the side with interest. "I was the Digimon Willis was trying to create that day. But the Digi-egg he had formed was infected with a virus and became the insane Diaboromon. Omnimon destroyed the Digimon, but the virus lived on and infected Lopmon. In an effort to find his programmer the virus forced Kerpymon to turn back time, de-aging Willis back into the boy the virus remembered. This done, he attacked. Veemon and Terriermon had no choice but to Golden-Armor Digivolve and destroy the virus. My data had become part of the virus so when it infected Lopmon I kindda infected her, too. Destroying the virus released both of us from its influences and we were free. Lopmon was reconfigured and Willis found her upon returning to the present. However, I remained in the past where what was left of my data created a Digi-egg in Primary Village. Since most of my data was damaged or lost in those battles, I copied some of Lopmon's data in order to rebuild myself. Anyway, Gennai and Elecmon found my egg and-sensing some of the virus still within me-bestowed upon me this ring to neutralize the virus." He brought about his own tail to show her. "They did it so that I would not fall to the dark side. You see: I am unnaturally strong. That is why I have the Digital Hazard sign on my chest."

"I assumed as much. After all, they don't just give that sign to every Tom, Dick and Harry." Said Magimon. Diamon nodded.

"But before my egg hatched an evil Digimon known as Succubusmon attacked Primary Village. She stole many Digi-eggs, for she was going to cultivate them into her own army of evil, and my egg was among them.

"Assigned to train me was a young witch-type Digimon called Wenmon. She actually looked more like a cute young human girl than a witch. She didn't want to work for Succubusmon but she had no choice. She and several others were forced to work for Succubusmon in order to protect their homes and friends. The worst part was that after these Digimon had become her servants she attacked their homes anyway."

"She sounds almost as ruthless as Myotismon!" Magimon piped up.

"You don't know the half of it," commented Diamon. "Anyways, Wenmon was my very best friend, and it is thanks to her that I got through that ordeal. Being with her made me forget that I was a slave.

"As time passed I rose through the ranks and became Succubusmon's right-hand 'mon. That's when I learned the awful truth about Wenmon's village. I told her about it… she was devastated. I suggested that the two of us make plans to escape. One night, we made our attempt. But we were discovered as we tried to flee. Since I was stronger, I told Wenmon to go on ahead while I stayed behind and tried to fight off the guards. Wenmon escaped… I didn't…

"Rather than beating me as punishment, Succubusmon sent me to Myotismon's stronghold."

"Whatever for?" Magimon inquired.

Diamon, speaking hesitantly: "Well, y' see, Succubusmon and Myotismon were… close… and lets just leave it at that."

"Oh!" the feline was surprised.

"Anyway," Diamon began again. "Succubusmon and Myotismon would often swap servants, especially when Succubusmon wanted to teach one of her servants a lesson. And lucky me, I just happen to get there while Myotismon was testing out his brand-new portal to the real world. He tried it out on me but he didn't quite get the combination right and I got lost somewhere in-between the real world and the Digital World. As it turned out, I was on the 'net.

"I kindda went into a state of suspended animation, the flood of information forcing me into a coma. A few months later when the battle against Diaboromon took place, being in contact with my former self reawakened me. One of the e-mails that created Omnimon became a sort of portal for me and I escaped into the real world. What befuddled me however is that when I emerged I came out with a digivice for my new partner… Squall."

"You were right. It was long and complicated." Said Magimon. "Tell me, do you know what ever became of your friend, Wenmon?"

"Not really..." Diamon replied. "I know she made it out okay and I heard she lives alone somewhere but I have no idea how she's doing."

"Sorry…"

"It's alright. She's still out there and I know I'll see her again… someday."

They stopped walking and stared at each other for a while, and Diamon could feel the butterflies rising in his stomach. His emotions were all a flutter, and he felt like the proverbial geek asking the head cheerleader to the prom. As for Magimon, she felt intrigued by his insecure yet, charming nature.

Magimon snapped back to her senses. "We better get back to work." She said.

"Umm, Magimon…" Diamon began.

"Yes?"

"Oh… forget it…" he just could not bring himself to say it. Then a realization crossed his mind and he decided to inquire about it to Magimon. "Hey, Magimon. I just thought of something. When we find our Digidestined, we're probably gonna find that Digimon that attacked us earlier."

"Yeah? What're getting at?" she asked.

"Well, he's already beaten us once. He could probably do it again. I ain't afraid or anything, I just want us to get that clear first." His voice was unwavering.

"I know… I guess I just don't care. I haveta find Skye…"

"We were lucky to get away last time… this time, he might kill us…" he looked grave.

"I'm willing to risk it! Skye means everything to me…" her voice was full of emotion.

"Well, if that's how you feel, then I'm with you!" he smiled. "And I understand what you mean. I'd be lost without Squall." he took her paw in his. "We're in this together. I'll stand by you no matter how strong our enemy is."

Suddenly, Magimon pulled him into a warm hug. "Thanks…" she said simply before breaking the embrace and starting off. Diamon stood there, stunned for a moment as he blushed and his eyes again took the hue of florescent pink, before snapping back to his senses and following her.

Would you tremble

If I touched you lips?

Would you laugh?

Oh, please tell me this.

Now, would you die

For the one you love?

Hold me in your arms, tonight.

Squall sighed. A day had past and he and Skye still had no idea of how to escape from the clutches of this adversary. He had racked his brain trying to figure out a plane to break out but the only thing that came to mind was to rattle the bars in the hope that wear and tear would buildup until the bars eventually gave way. He did not try it, however, because he realized how stupid it was.

The boy looked up at Skye and saw that she seemed deep in thought. In experimentation, Squall banged his fist lightly against the cage floor, rattling the cage slightly. Skye did not even seem to notice it. Whatever she was thinking about, she was concentrating on it very hard.

"Skye?" he called her softly. She still did not respond. He tried a little louder. "Skye?" still nothing. "Skye!" he shouted softly then flinched as he quickly realized how loud he had been. But it worked. Skye had finally snapped to her senses and looked at him.

"Oh! Sorry. Did you say something, Squall?"

"Skye, may I ask, what were you thinking about?" the boy cocked his head to the side with curiosity.

"That Digimon who captured us." she replied. "There was something familiar about him, but I can't quite place it. It's almost like I know him from somewhere."

"How?" Squall asked.

"That, I don't know." she responded. "If only I could've gotten a better look at him, then maybe I'd know who he is."

"Well, there's no use in wondering about that, now." Squall began. "We should concentrate on finding a way out of here." Skye nodded her agreement.

"Where getting nowhere, fast!" Magimon sighed with resignation.

"Yeah. And I think we past that same log a while ago." Diamon pointed out.

"Any bright ideas?"

"Well, going around at random sure ain't gonna get us anywhere. We need some kindda lead." Diamon sighed as he sat down on the aforementioned log and rested his chin in his hands. Magimon soon mimicked his pose and the two of them sat on the log and began to think.

"Where're we gonna find any leads?" Magimon inquired.

And that's when, as if on cue, they heard a familiar shriek thunder behind tem. They sat up in a flash and whirled around to see their old friend Kuwagamon standing behind him; jaws open and ready for a pair of bite-sized snacks.

"AAAHH!!!" they both screamed as they jumped backwards to avoid Kuwagamon's hungry jaws. Diamon quickly regained his composer and leaped forward at the mighty crimson insect. Magimon was about to ask him what he was doing but before she could, he struck.

"Dia-Kick!!!" he shouted as he connected to Kuwagamon's jaw with a powerful kick. The force of the blow knocked the red beetle backwards and he hit the ground with a mighty thud. There he lay, unmoving.

Diamon dusted off his hands in triumph. Magimon was glad that the threat was once again vanquished. Then a revelation crossed Diamon's mind.

"Hey, Magimon. Think we can pump this guy for information?" he said. What he did not realize was that Kuwagamon had not been rendered unconscious and that at that very moment the villain was preparing to close his jaws around the rabbit/opossum-like Digimon.

Magimon's expression quickly turned to one of horror as she saw this happening. Diamon, completely oblivious to the silent danger behind him, cocked an eyebrow at Magimon's sudden change of face.

"What's up, Magimon?" Diamon asked. The feline pointed at something behind him and Diamon turned around. When he saw it his eyes widened and turned pail yellow as he began to sweat with fear.

"Lightning Shocker!!!" Diamon instinctively dropped to the ground as Magimon fired an electric bolt from her gloved paw. It stuck home, exploding on Kuwagamon's chest. The large bug keeled over backwards, knocked out cold.

"Phew! That was close!" Diamon breathed a sigh of relief as his eyes returned to normal.

"Yeah." Magimon agreed. She looked at Diamon. "Y' know, that was pretty brave of you to jump at Kuwagamon like that."

"Funny. After what almost happen I was starting to think it was a little foolhardy. But thank you anyway." Diamon beamed at her.

"Don't mention it." she replied.

"But it wasn't nearly as cool as when you blasted him." he commented.

"Well… it was a team effort." She said with a smile.

"Yeah. Still, I would've liked to be the one to save the day." Said he.

"Well, I guess you can't always be my hero." She said. He looked her in the eyes and felt something warm in his heart.

"Heh, whether or not I get to be the hero all the time doesn't matter. Until this adventure's over, I'll be here for you if you need me." He smiled back at her as he said that. She took his paw in hers and gave him a warm look. As he gazed back into her beautiful face his eyes turned light blue and he felt himself becoming short of breath with nervousness.

"I know I said this already but, thanks…" she said.

"D-d-don't mention it…" he managed to stutter out. His breath was a bit ragged. They nodded at each other and stood there, hand-in-hand.

I can be your hero, baby!

I can kiss away the pain!

I will stand by you forever!

You can take my breath away…

Kuwagamon's groan brought the two of them back to reality. They watched, frozen in place as they observed the deadly bug. It looked as though he was trying to get up but he quickly lost what little strength he had regained and collapsed again.

"We better tie him up or something." Diamon suggested (eyes returning to reddish-orange). Magimon spotted some vines growing from the surrounding trees and the pair worked quickly to take some of them and use them to restrain Kuwagamon. Once he was bound there was nothing else for them to do but wait for him to regain consciousness. It took a few hours but he eventually did.

When Kuwagamon woke up his head pounded as if Tai Kamiya had used it for a soccer ball. He tried to stand but found that he could not. Upon closer inspection he discovered that his limbs had been tied down. He roared as he fought against his restraints but his efforts proved futile. The vines held strong and he just wound up tiring himself out. He laid out flat and turned his head to the left to find his captors sitting contently on a nearby log.

"If you're quite done we have a few things we'd like to ask you." Diamon piped up. Kuwagamon roared his protest.

"Don't play dumb with us." Magimon began. "I've got a pretty good feeling that you can talk so you better spill the beans right now!"

"Yeah! Tell us, who're you working for and where have they taking our Digidestined!" Diamon shouted. Kuwagamon continued to roar rather than talk.

"Listen, buddy!" the feline cut in. "We can do this the easy way or the hard way…" Magimon held up her left paw and let some of her electricity dace between her index and middle fingers to emphasize her point.

"She'll do it, too! She's krraaaaaaaaaaazzy…!" Diamon sounded a little psychotic himself as he said that. Kuwagamon thought it over carefully and after realizing that these two had both defeated him badly on two separate occasions he decided that it would be best to talk.

"Alright! Alright! I'll talk!" he said.

"Spill it, then! Who're you working for and where have they taken our partners!" Magimon demanded.

"I don't know who he is! I never see him! He's always standing in the shadows so I can never get a good look at his face!" Kuwagamon blurted out quickly. "But as for your partners, he's taken them to a temple somewhere at the heart of this forest!"

"Are they okay?" inquired the rabbit/opossum-like Digimon.

"They're fine. The boss was most specific that he didn't want anything to happen to the blue-haired girl until we found her." Kuwagamon craned his neck, pointing with his head at Magimon.

"Me? Why me?" the cat inquired.

"I don't know. The boss just said he wanted you and that blue-haired girl." Kuwagamon blurted out.

"Wait! If your boss wants Magimon alive, then why did you just try to kill us twice already?" Diamon asked while folding his arms over his chest and giving Kuwagamon a hard stare.

"The first time I wasn't actually going to kill the cat. I was just having some fun by scaring her. And as for just now, I wasn't trying to eat her; I was trying to eat you! The boss didn't say anything about you or your partner so I thought it'd be alright if I made a quick snack outta you."

"Oh…" Diamon breathed with embarrassment.

"Hold on! If your boss only wants me 'n Skye, then why'd he take his partner hostage?" Magimon demanded more than asked.

"A little extra insurance to get you to come. At first, the boy and his Digimon were just in the way. But the boss knows how you're all big on saving people so he thought it'd be a good idea to have an extra hostage." Kuwagamon finished. "That's everything I know, honest! Now can y' let me go?"

"Think we can trust this guy?" Diamon asked Magimon.

"I guess." Magimon shrugged. "Right now we don't have a lotta choice. I say we start looking for this temple as soon as possible."

"Agreed! Let's get a move on, then." Diamon said as they both turned and started to walk away.

"Hey!! Wait a minute!!! Aren't you gonna untie me and let me go, first!?!" Kuwagamon shouted as the pair exited the area.

"Gee! Did you hear something?" Diamon said as he feigned ignorance.

"Nope! Not a thing." Magimon said, also pretending not to notice Kuwagamon's cries for help.

The two Digimon had been walking for a while now. The sun was even starting to set again. As they walked, there was not exactly a lot to do, so Diamon spent the time thinking to himself. His thoughts mostly focused on Magimon.

Since the moment he met her he had been developing strong feelings for her. But he was afraid… afraid to tell her how he felt. So now he walked silently beside her, his heart aching to speak words that his mouth was afraid to say.

Oh how he wished to tell her... to confess his undying love for her right there and then... to take her paw and ask her if she would be his. But apprehension held him back. Nevertheless, he had to tell her. He just had to. He summoned up all his courage in a valiant effort to speak his feelings.

Fighting evil Digimon is way easier than this… he thought. Well, might as well get it over with. "Magimon I…" he trailed off.

"Yes?" she asked dismissingly.

"I-I-I-I-I…" he stuttered terribly as he struggled to get the words out.

"'You' what?" Magimon gave him her full attention now. Not realizing that it only made what he had to say even harder.

"Umm…" now Diamon was sweating profusely as he contemplating giving up on the whole thing.

"C'mon, Diamon. Tell me." She asked kindly, but insistently.

"I love you!" he blurted out quickly then froze.

"You what??" Magimon uttered with surprise, taken positively aback by Diamon's sudden confession.

What am I doing?? Diamon thought. Did I just tell a beautiful Digi-girl-whom I barely know and who barely knows me-that I love her?? Have I gone nuts? She probably thinks I'm a weirdo or something, now! Man, did I ever blow it! She'll probably never want to see me again! Oh please don't hate me, Magimon! I just want to be with you! He suddenly found himself nervous and short of breath again.

Magimon did not know what to make of this. This 'mon had just proclaimed his love for her, what was she to do? Sure, he was hansom in his way, and he seemed nice enough, but this was hardly a time to be looking for love. Besides, she hardly knew him. She could not simply fall in love with a total stranger. Fate had put them together in this search for their human partners but she needed to know a 'mon better than that if she was to decided whether she liked him or not. As of now, she could not decide. She was, however, aware of the fact that he seemed to be occupying more and more of her thoughts.

Why isn't she answering back? She hates me I just know it! Diamon sighed as that realization hit him. He cursed himself for even ever thinking of telling her such a thing.

Would you swear

That you'll always be mine?

Or would you lie?

Would you run and hide?

Am I in too deep?

Have I lost my mind?

I don't care!

You're here, tonight…

Suddenly, an ear-piercing shriek filled their ears, and Diamon almost thanked it for breaking the tension. It sounded similar to Kuwagamon's roar but it was louder and the pitch was slightly different. Then, a tree in front of them was ripped from its place in the ground and their new enemy revealed himself.

"Okuwamon!" the pair shouted at the same time. The Ultimate-level bug raised his arm into the air and the two Digimon leaped out of the way just as he slammed it into the ground they had occupied.

"Looks like we got ourselves another playmate!" Diamon shouted and Magimon nodded. "Dia-Force!!!" he quickly formed two energy spheres and hurled them at Okuwamon. The sphere exploded upon contact but left no marks on the beetle's hard exoskeleton.

"Lightning Shocker!!!" Magimon fired a bolt of electricity from her paw. The attack struck clear on but the reflective nature of his silvery exoskeleton made Magimon's electrical attack all but useless against him. "We're not hurting him!" said she, stating the obvious.

"I got one more trick up my sleeve!" Diamon shouted determinedly. He clenched his fist as he began to glow and pulsate with radiant white energy. In an unearthly voice he shouted, "Dia-Rush!!!" and propelled himself at Okuwamon. With amazing speed he flew through the air and slammed into Okuwamon's stomach, knocking the wind out of him. Diamon dropped back to the ground and jumped back as Okuwamon roared with pain. But the great insect shook his head and regained his composer.

"Oh boy are we screwed…" Diamon stated his opinion of the situation.

"There's got to be something else we can do!" Magimon surmised.

"I wish Terriermon, Lopmon and/or Gatomon were here!" stated Diamon.

"Why's that?" Magimon asked.

"Well, when Terriermon and Lopmon are around they can help me power up my 'Dia-Rush' to the point where I can even crack Chrome-Digiziod metal with it." the rabbit/opossum-like Digimon explained. "I also have a combo attack I can do with Gatomon, called 'Cat Launch'. It's not as strong as my powered up 'Dia-Rush' but really either attack would be enough to take care of this guy." Diamon thumbed at Okuwamon, who roared as if to protest being spoken of like he was not there.

"Well, I'm at least as strong as Gatomon, not to mention that I kindda look like her. Maybe we can give it a shot." Magimon suggested. Diamon ran over to her.

"Alright. All y' gotta do is grab my arm and swing me around." Diamon explained to her. "When I give you the signal, hurl me and Okuwamon and I'll do the rest."

Magimon nodded and grabbed Diamon's arm. The plucky little Digimon blushed a bit as the object of his affection touched his arm but that quickly faded as she began to twirl around with him, the centrifugal force lifting his light form off of the ground. He pulled his long tail in and coiled it up tightly against his back as he summoned all the energy he could and began to pulsate a radiant white again. Magimon continued to spin him faster and faster until the two of them were nothing but a white glowing blur. Okuwamon was a bit perplexed by this display but decided to move and strike while they were busy performing this task.

"Cat Launch!!!" Diamon and Magimon, simultaneously sensing that they had reached the appropriate speed of rotation, shouted at the same time as Magimon let the bunny Digimon fly. Diamon streaked through the air and slammed into Okuwamon's chest. At first, it seemed that no damage had been done, but after a few seconds several large cracks formed on it. Just before he dropped back to the ground, Diamon formed one of his energy spheres and placed it between one of the larger cracks. He quickly scampered to a safe distance just as the sphere exploded, shattering the exoskeleton on Okuwamon's chest. The silver scarab howled and roared with pain as his soft innards were exposed to the cold dusk air.

"Lightning Shocker!!!" Magimon pointed at the fresh wound in Okuwamon's chest and fired her lightning at him. With nothing protecting him now, the attack's full force hit him. He shrieked a Kuwagamon's shriek of pain before collapsing; a few seconds later he dissolved into tiny bits of data.

"We did it!!!" Diamon cheered in triumph as he crossed over to stand by Magimon.

"Yup! You were awesome, Diamon!" Magimon said, smiling happily.

"Well, it was really a combined effort. We make a good team!" Diamon beamed. Magimon looked back at where Okuwamon had been and thought of something.

"Hey! Maybe Okuwamon came out and attacked us 'cause we're getting closer to finding our partners." She offered.

"Yeah! I'll bet you're right!" Diamon agreed. "We're closing in on our unknown enemy so he's gettin' desperate and throwing stronger lackeys at us."

"Well then let's keep going and really give him something to worry about!" Magimon nodded with a determined look on her face. She started off but Diamon stopped her.

"Umm, Magimon. I wanna say, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable with what I said earlier." The bunny apologized.

"Don't feel bad, Diamon. Actually, I'm a little flattered." Replied the cat.

"You are??" Diamon said with shock. He began to blush and his eyes turned florescent pink. Magimon thought hard about it, and decided that is would be best to be straight with him and not lead the poor guy on.

"Diamon, you're a nice guy, and I like you… but…" she hesitated, she did not know why.

"But… what…?" Diamon breathed, ears drooping in sadness as he could almost sense what was coming.

"…Not in that way." She finally finished. She started to wonder why she hesitated.

"Oh…" said Diamon as the flush vanished from his face and his eyes turned blue. "I understand… I guess…"

"Don't take it too hard," Magimon began in a comforting voice. "I'm just not interested in a relationship right now." She was feeling bad about rejecting him now, but the strange thing is that it was not only because she hurt his feelings.

"No, really… I understand." He said, shaking it off. "Besides, we've got more important things to worry about. C'mon, lets go find our partners!" he smiled; trying to show that he accepted the rejection well. On the inside, however, he was feeling very low. Magimon picked up on this. It was practically written on his face, despite his smile. She thought that she should say something to make him feel better.

"Diamon, how'd y' like to be my hero?" she said coyly.

"Huh?" he blurted out.

"Well, you did save me from Kuwagamon that first time, and you were the real one who beat Okuwamon, I just kindda helped. Fact is, I'd probably already be the prisoner of our mysterious enemy if you weren't here to protect me." Magimon said while bestowing a warm smile upon the bunny.

"I guess you're right." Diamon said with a goofy grin. "So… anything in particular I gotta do?"

"Just keep doing whacha been doing." Magimon explained. "Be my hero, my knight, my protector. Guard me against all harm until this adventure is over. That's all I ask."

The little Digimon was taken aback. This is all he wanted: a chance to prove himself to her. He sighed, excited as he said with a determined look, "I can do that. You can count on me."

"Then let's get going." Magimon said while performing a "come hither" gesture with her tail. She started off and Diamon quickly followed.

I can be your hero, baby!

I can kiss away the pain!

I will stand by you forever!

You can take my breath away…

"Darn it!" Squall shouted with frustration, banging his head against the bars. There seemed to be no possible means of escape from this cage.

"Calm down, kid. You did your best." Skye offered.

"If that's you're best then I believe you two are quite doomed." Said the mysterious villain as he made his entrance.

"Who are you!?" Skye shouted through gritted teeth as she gripped onto the bars facing the direction their mysterious captor was approaching them from. She squinted her eyes, desperately straining to see him through the blackness. But it was far too dark and all she could make out was his oddly familiar silhouette.

"I already told you. You don't find that out until your little kitty is here, too. If you keep pestering me about it I'm going to have to discipline you." as soon as he said that he thrust his hand menacingly through the bars at her. The girl shrieked with surprised and fell back as the unidentified villain took a swipe at her. Suddenly, the locket around Skye's neck flashed.

"AAAHH!!" the villain shrieked with pain as he backed off. The light from the locket was somehow hurting him. "Fine then! We'll wait until everyone's present and a counted for before we begin the fun."

Squall looked over at Skye and saw that she seemed in shock. She had a glazed over look and did not seem to be paying attention to what their enemy was saying. Squall decided to take the initiative.

"What're you planning to do with us!" he demanded more than asked.

"It's more what I'm planning for her than you." the unknown evil explained. "It is the princess and her pet cat I want. You're just excess baggage, boy." Without another word, he exited again.

"Hey! You didn't answer my question!" Squall shouted but the shadowy figure was already gone. He turned back to Skye. "Skye? Are you okay?" the girl snapped back to her senses and looked at him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just…" she trailed off as she wrapped her arms around herself and began to shiver.

"'It's just' what?" Squall pried.

"I know who he is…!" she breathed out with a shiver.

"We made it!" Magimon shouted with glee as the step pyramid-like structure came into view. She quickly ran toward it, leaving Diamon stumbling to catch up. It was night now and difficult to see one's hand in front of their face, let alone anything in the path that might trip them up. But the sure-footed cat emerged from the woods into the pyramid's clearing without faltering once. Diamon, being part possum, was semi-nocturnal and had some ability to see in the dark. Still, he preferred some for of illumination so he once again had one of his "flashlight spheres" going, allowing him to see fairly clearly. He made it into the clearing with nary a stumble.

"Sure this is the place?" he asked her as he doused his light yet again.

"You see any other temples in this forest?" she retorted.

"Good point. C'mon, lets get a move on." he replied and gestured toward the pyramid. She nodded and took up position behind him as he started toward it.

The entrance was quite dark and ominous, hiding from view any secrets that might lie inside. Even the nocturnal vision of our heroes was not enough to pierce the darkness.

Diamon stood at the temple's threshold, staring firmly into the dark reassess of the structure. His eyes actually turned yellow as a feeling of dread filled him... dread of the horrors that might await them inside. He hardly noticed as Magimon took a stance beside him. He shook his head quickly and swallowed his fear. He had to be strong for both of them. He had promised to be her hero… he could not afford to show any fear, especially as they entered to face the unnamed foe. He looked over at the one whom had captured his heart and smiled with conviction.

"Here we go. Y' ready t' rock?" said he. She did not look at him. She, like he had earlier, was transfixed on the task at hand and on the darkness of the inner sanctum of this evil.

"Once more into the breach…" she said with an almost eerily straight face. She swallowed a rather large lump in her throat and without another word calmly took a step toward the temple.

"Hold on a minute!" Diamon blurted out suddenly.

"What's wrong?" the feline asked, bewildered. Diamon had to think for a minute before he replied.

"Umm… I'm not sure how we should do this…"

"Whaddaya mean?"

"Well, I'm not sure if I should go in first t' make sure it's safe or if I should be a gentlemen and allow the lady present to enter first." He said right before smiling nervously (eyes turning sky-blue).

She looked at him funny, and soon enough he had her smiling too. And she laughed in spite of herself. He took his role as her protector so seriously it was almost… cute

"Tell y' what; why don't we go in together?" she suggested. His eyes widened and his ear stood up with exhilaration as soon as she said that. He nodded before turning back to the entrance. Then, as one they entered.

"Holy honey, it's dark!" Diamon shouted as he stumbled and nearly fell over some unknown object. He righted himself quickly and looked over to make sure his feline companion was all right.

"You ain't kidding, Diamon." Magimon confirmed. The darkness was so thick even she was having trouble seeing in it. Then suddenly, Diamon's ears twitched. He heard something… something familiar.

"Skye? Skye, are you all right?" he recognized the voice immediately as being his partner's.

"Squall!" he piped up suddenly.

"Diamon??" the boy echoed back. Diamon was about to go running toward the sound of the voice when suddenly the room was illuminated brightly. Both he and Magimon were forced to squint their eyes while they adjusted to the new brightness of the room. They quickly regain their sight and could clearly see now that both Skye and Squall were being held in a cage suspended over a pit at the end of the room. The pair of Digimon took a look around to see that the room was made completely out of stone and the light was coming from several torches lined up against the walls; it was unknown, however, how exactly the aforementioned torches had all just mysteriously sprung to life.

"Something's not right about this…" Magimon said tensely, her fur bristling. She looked up at the cage and saw her partner. Skye looked back at her with surprise. Their eyes met as Magimon felt a renewed sense of joy over finally being reunited with her Digidestined. Skye, on the other hand, felt remorse for what was about to happen. For she knew that her Digimon must have endured great hardship to get here only to be led right into the clutches of their greatest foe.

"Magimon! Get out of here! It's a trap!" she shouted, forlorn.

"Too late!" shouted a frightening voice from the shadows in back. A voice that, to Magimon, sounded horrifyingly familiar.

Suddenly, a wall dropped from the ceiling, sealing the entrance. Then, from the previously mentioned shadows emerged the most hideous looking Digimon that Diamon had ever laid eyes upon. He watched in disgust as the snakes that made up his "hair" snapped at flies and other insects in the air. The clicking from his twelve legs echoed in the little Digimon's ears. But the thing that stood out most about him were his glowing eyes.

"Satinmon…" Magimon breathed with utter terror, falling to her knees as a cold sweat ran down her face.

"That's Satinmon!?!" Diamon exclaim with shock. He did not get an answer from Magimon. She was too paralyzed by fear to respond.

"Yes, it is I." Instead his answer came from the 'mon himself. "And now that you are here, Magimon, I can finally take my revenge just as I wanted to! To destroy as your partner watches helplessly!!" with that, he cackled at their plight. His taunting and wicked laughter reverberated throughout the room and filled all present with a deep feeling of dread.

"You don't scare us you freak!" said Diamon, trying to sound brave. His voice wavered, however, and his yellowing eyes relayed his true fear. He tried his best to swallow that fear as he looked over at Magimon. "C'mon, Magimon! We can take this guy! We just gotta work together!" the cat Digimon did not respond. Diamon became worried when he saw her shaking with fright. He had never seen her this bad before. "Magimon? Are you okay?"

"I-I-I can't do it…" she managed to stutter out. From her kneeling position she fell to her hands and knees and broke out into sobs of fear.

"Magimon… what's wrong?" the rabbit/opossum-like Digimon inquired.

"Th-th-the old fear has comeback to me… I-I'm too afraid to move…" she told him and Diamon quickly understood what was wrong with her. This vile 'mon must have been an object in her nightmares since she was young. She could not help but fear him. He did not know why, but he decided to put his arms around her in an effort to comfort her.

"Magimon…" he began, low and soft. "It's okay. I know that you're afraid of him and there's nothing wrong with that. But you're not alone this time… I'm here with you. And like I promised, I won't let anyone hurt you for as long as I am able." She looked at him, at those warm childlike eyes and his reassuring words calmed her.

"Thank you, Diamon. But I'm still not sure we can take this guy." She told him

"How bad is he?" Diamon asked.

"Bad… very bad…" she said as the smile vanished from her face. And Diamon was having second thoughts on their chances of victory. Then something popped into his head that he had to get out.

"Stay back, then." he blurted out.

"What?" she said with surprise.

"I don't want you to get hurt. Stay back and I'll handle him on my own." He said to her as comfortingly as he could.

"Are you crazy?? He'll kill you!" she shouted before biting her lip with anxiety.

"Maybe... but it doesn't matter. I made a promise to you and I'm gonna do my best to keep it. If I back down now I don't deserve to be your hero." An aura of calm and omniscience seemed to surround him now as his fear slowly disappeared.

Magimon could now see clearly how much he really cared about her. He wanted to keep her safe and happy so badly he would take on her greatest enemy by himself. A warmness surrounded her and suddenly she did not feel afraid anymore.

"I won't let you do it alone." She said firmly as she returned his loving embrace. "I'll fight with you."

"If you're here with me I can do anything." He smiled wide at her.

Across the room, Satinmon tapped one of his many feet impatiently, a little sickened by the display. "If you're quite done I'd like to destroy you now."

The two Digimon finally broke their embrace and poised themselves in preparation for the battle to come. Magimon even took on a cocky look as she said: "Bring it on…"

Oh, I just want to hold you!

I just want to hold you!

Am I in too deep?

Have I lost my mind?

I don't care!

You're here… tonight…

Before Satinmon had a chance to react Diamon and Magimon leaped at him and struck.

"Dia-Kick!!!"

"Cat Punch!!!"

Diamon connected with Satinmon's right cheek while Magimon connected with his left cheek, leaving bruises on each. The two were quickly forced to push themselves off and away to avoid being bitten by his snake-hair. Satinmon shot his arms out like Devimon and slapped them around like whips. Magimon and Diamon jumped, ducked, weaved, and dodged to avoid them before landing in the center of the room and striking back.

"Dia-Force!!!"

"Lighting Shocker!!!"

Magimon's lighting hit first, paralyzing Satinmon with pain and not giving him a chance to dodge as Diamon's energy spheres exploded on his face. The blast sent him flying backwards and skidding across the floor. He dug his claws into the stone floor and screeched to a stop. He stood up; his face bloody and twisted into an expression of extreme anger.

"Lightning Shocker!!!" Magimon fired at him again. This time, Satinmon shifted to the side slightly and Magimon's attack flew harmlessly just to the right of his head. Then, before Magimon's attack had completely finished, he stroke back, stretching his arm out again. By the time Magimon saw it coming there was no time to dodge it.

"No!!" Diamon shouted as he leaped into the way. Satinmon wound up grabbing him instead. It was all the same to the villainous Digimon as he lifted the bunny into the air and began to thrash him about. The wall was first, Diamon's poor head colliding with it hard enough to actually leave a crack. Next was the ceiling, leaving the rabbit/opossum Digimon so dazed that he thought it was the floor, which was his last stop on this tour of pain. Finally done, Satinmon tossed Diamon's battered and now unconscious form to the side like it was nothing more than garbage.

"Diamon, no!!" Squall shouted in despair, helplessly watching his Digimon's vicious beating.

"Diamon…" Magimon breathed in sorrow, knowing that his pain was partly her fault. He had leaped into the way to protect her from Satinmon and now he was paying the price for it. She was none too gently brought back to reality when Satinmon's fist collided with the back of her head, sending her sliding face-first across the floor. She pushed herself up with her forepaws, shaking her head before standing up and turning around to face her nemesis. When she did however, she was greeted by a hefty and hard backhanded slap across the face, which sent her sailing to the side before a rough landing on the floor. She stood up weakly, holding her aching arm as she looked spitefully at the satanic Digimon villain.

"Not so pleasant when you're on the receiving end of a surprise attack, is it?" Satinmon scoffed.

He flung out his arms again. Magimon tried to dodge but the beating she had received just a moment ago had weakened the feline greatly and she just did not have the strength. His fist caught her right on the chin, sending her reeling into the air before landing on her back with a hard thud. It took all her strength to stand back up, but she had to. She would not allow him the satisfaction of seeing her give up. She gritted her teeth against the pain and resumed holding her aching arm.

"I'll fight you 'till the last, Satinmon. I won't give up until I draw my final breath." She told him with ever-present determination.

"That's the basic idea, little kitty." Satinmon replied with a sinister chuckle. "Before I send you on your way to whatever lies beyond I'd like to share something with you." he gave her a moment to respond but when he was met with nothing more than her icy stare he decided to continue anyway. "Do you know what was the last thing MegnaLadyDevimon said before I killed her?"

"Why do you taunt me, you twisted fiend!?" Magimon shouted while fighting back the sadness, the memory of her old friend and mentor causing the salty tears to flow. Satinmon ignored her and continued to speak.

"She didn't beg for her life or try to make a deal. The only thing she asked was that I spare you. Can you believe that? How pathetic!" he gave a wicked laugh at the thought of it. "Well, I guess I'm going to be breaking that promise now. And what better way to finish you off than to use the same attack I used on her." hearing this, Magimon's eyes widened with a horrible revelation.

"No…" she said weakly, unable to move partly from her injuries and partly from fear.

"Oh yes!" said Satinmon with a sinister sneer as he drew back his arm. It began to glow with blood-red energy as his eyes gleamed with murderous intent. Magimon quivered and closed her eyes, knowing what was coming.

Finally, after savoring the fear that he had instilled in his foe, Satinmon threw his arm forward as he shouted "Crimson Fire Blast!!!"

A short distance off, Diamon slowly began to stir. His head throbbed with an unbelievable pain. His head hurt to the point where he could hardly see straight. What he could see appeared to be a double image of a red stream about to strike a small, white and sky-blue form.

"Magimon!!" he shouted, his eyes widening as he realized the horror he was witnessing. Though he could still barely see he quickly jumped into action.

Magimon felt a presence near her and opened her eyes to see the little rabbit/opossum Digimon standing protectively in front of her; his arms outstretched, his teeth clenched and his expression calm. Magimon had but a split second to appreciate this scene, however, for in the blink of an eye Diamon was engulfed in Satinmon's attack. A quick and bloodcurdling scream of pain escaped his lips just before the outer layer of molten rock covering him harden, sealing him in a flaming tomb… forever…

"Diamon…" was all Squall could say, shock and unfathomable sorrow being all he could feel.

Skye closed her eyes and lowered her head with equal sadness.

And Magimon, she felt grief like she had never felt before. It felt like a gapping and bottomless pit in her heart. The pain in her heart was a thousand times worse than anything Satinmon could inflict on her body. This brave 'mon wanted nothing more than to love her, and now he had paid the ultimate price. She put her arms around his now statuesque form and broke into hysterical sobbing.

I can be your hero, baby!

I can kiss away the pain!

I will stand by you forever!

You can take my breath away…

"Pathetic delusional fool…" Satinmon scoffed. "I was not concerned with him. He could have simply scurried away while I destroyed you and I would have been none the wiser."

"He's not like that…" Magimon said sorrowfully, trying her best to dry her eyes. She did so and looked at Satinmon with great scorn and contempt. "He had honor! He was brave and pure! Something you'll never be!" she looked back at the statue that was once Diamon and two thin rivers of tears resumed flowing from her eyes. "Why is it that only now do I realize how great he really was." She closed her eyes and lowered her head, pressing her forehead against his stone arm as she cried.

"Don't weep for him…" Satinmon said with mock sympathy. "You'll soon be joining him!" Magimon looked up as he said that, her eyes still moist from her tears, and saw that his arm was once again glowing blood red. Her jaw dropped with shock and terror for she knew that this time there was no escape. She was so afraid that she scarcely even noticed a slight crackling sound. But out of the corner of her eye she caught a glimpse of something and turned her head in Diamon's direction to see that a crack had formed in the outer rock just above his right eye. She all but forgot about Satinmon and continued to watch in awe as several more cracks began to form.

Satinmon became curious when he saw Magimon staring so intensely at the statue that once was Diamon. So curious in fact that he stopped what he was doing and began to stare as well. Imagine his surprise when, at that exact moment, an exceptionally large crack formed, one that seemed divided he bunny's face in half.

Magimon backed away from Diamon, not daring to look away from the unbelievable sight before her. Soon the entirety of the outer rock was cracked and crumbling. Suddenly, blazing and brilliant light began to poor from some of the larger cracks on his face, left arm and right hip. Then, the rock shell exploded and the statue was replaced by Diamon, in the flesh. Glowing brightly with the incredible power of his "Dia-Rush" attack. He was injured, true. Cuts and bruises littered his body. A gash on his forehead trickled blood and who knows what kind of internal injuries him might be suffering. But in spite of his wounds he felt better than he had ever felt before.

"What!?! But… how!?!" Satinmon shouted. This had never happened before and he had no idea how to deal with it

"Satinmon!!" he shouted while glowing a stunning and unearthly shade of white. "This is it! This is where you pay for all the hurt you've caused! This is where you pay for all the pain you've Roth!" The little Digimon had had all he could stand of this vile cad.

He looked over and out of the corner of his eye he saw Magimon; a mixed expression of wonder and hope on her face, and he found himself falling in love with her all over again. Then he returned his gaze to the villainous Satinmon. Magimon was such a beautiful person that he could not see how anyone could possibly cause her harm. Yet this vile cad had caused her so much hurt and there was no excuse for that. For doing such a thing, Diamon would pay him back ten fold!

The love Diamon felt for Magimon combined with the rage he held toward Satinmon increased the power of his "Dia-Rush" attack to levels it had never reached before. The scruff of hair between his ears flapped and wafted in the torrent winds created by the surge of energy flowing in and around his tiny body. Winds that threatened to extinguish the torches against the walls. The aura surrounding him flashed so brightly it was almost blinding, and at the center Diamon stood, deadly calm while controlling forces that Mega level creatures would have trouble handling. Suddenly, he dawned a superior smirk.

"See you in Hell…" he said lowly.

Then, with force enough to leave a crater where he once stood, Diamon launched himself with blinding speed at Satinmon. The evil Digimon had only time enough to give a shocked expression before Diamon collided with his stomach, ripping clean through him! He exited from his back, leaving an exit wound just slightly larger than his own rabbit-like body. Shooting across the room at lightning speed Diamon flipped in midair and hit the rear wall feet-first, cracking it with his force. With the remaining inertia Diamon sprung off the wall and flew back toward Satinmon.

Satinmon stood there, staring in horrified shock at the crimson fluid gushing from the gaping wound in his gut. He did not notice the hit until it came. Diamon slammed, headfirst, into his back with more than enough remaining strength to rip through him again, emerging from his chest this time. Satinmon fell to his knees; using what little strength he had left to hold the one arm he could still move to his chest in a vain effort to stop up the gushing forth of blood.

Diamon sailed through the air, his fur drenched and matted with Satinmon's and his own blood. He did a half twist and looked back at the villainous cad while holding his arms back. Though physically he was spent, thoughts of Magimon and how much he really cared for her gave him one last spark of strength, which he used to gather one last burst of energy in his hands. He brought his hands up and aimed the energy at Satinmon.

"Hiryu-Shoten-Ha!!!" a blazing wave of clear energy fired from his hands, headed directly at Satinmon. The evil Digimon dropped his arm, closed his eyes and cursed his misfortune.

"When it comes to protectors you have chosen well, Magimon. It seems like you and the child of faith have won again…" were Satinmon's last words before Diamon's energy wave hit him, vaporizing him completely.

His strength completely gone, Diamon dropped like a rock from his position in the air, hitting the ground with a thud. Magimon scampered over to him as quickly as she could-her own injuries slowing her down a bit-and lifted his head.

With Satinmon destroyed, the cage and the pit disappeared and Squall and Skye dropped safely to the floor. Squall quickly ran over to his Digimon, kneeling beside him as Magimon held his unconscious form in her arms. Skye soon joined them as Diamon slowly began to open his eyes.

"Magimon…" he said weakly, smiling up at her.

"Diamon, you're hurt…" Magimon replied with concern. Holding onto his blood soaked form was staining her white fur pink but she did not care.

"I told you I'd protect you and I did." He said to her, his breath ragged and labored.

"That you did… that you did…" she said while smiling weakly and holding back tears. But these were not the same tears she had been crying earlier. These were tears of joy. Then, something inside her clicked and she could finally admit to herself how she really felt about him.

"Diamon, you were amazing!" said Squall with a smile.

"I can't believe how you trashed Satinmon like that! It was incredible!" Skye added.

"It was nothing, guys… really." Diamon told them, his voice little more than a whisper. It was more a lie than anything else. For whether the Digimon knew it or not, that fight had taken more than its toll.

"You kept your word and more, Diamon. And I thank you for it." Magimon said, finally letting the joy filled warm liquid flow from her eyes.

"Magimon I-" he tried to say before breaking off into a coughing fit.

"Diamon! You've been through a lot. You should rest. Don't try to talk." Squall said with worry.

"No! I haveta say this!" Diamon tried to shout back to his Digidestined. Tried, but he was too weak to raise his voice much. He turned back to Magimon and continued what he was trying to say. "Magimon… I love you…" he finally told her.

"I love you too, Diamon." She replied to him, holding him even closer.

I can be your hero!!

I can kiss away the pain!

And I will stand by you… forever!

You can take my breath away…

Diamon was over come with emotion. He could not believe what he just heard. After all his hard work he had finally achieved his goal… he had won her heart. He smiled from ear to ear and positively beamed at her.

"Magimon…" he began as best he could. "That's all I wanted to hear…" his eyes turned their loving florescent pink again, and she returned his affectionate gaze with a tender smile.

"Oh Diamon… you are my hero…" she told him with warmth in her voice.

"Hey, Diamon. Y' did it, buddy." Squall said while giving the little Digimon a winking smile and thumbs up.

Diamon would have felt amazing right there but the ache from his injuries picked that exact moment to kick into high gear. So instead Diamon wound up feeling pain at levels he had never even thought possible before. He gritted his teeth against it so roughly they threatened to crack under the strain as tears slowly began to leak from his eyes. He suddenly erupted into another coughing fit, blood splattering from his throat this time.

"Oh no!" Skye cried with terror as her Digimon's face mimic the expression articulated by the girl's voice. But Diamon's coughing fit was too violent for him to respond. Finally, he coughed up one last and exceptionally large gush of blood before closing his eyes, his body falling limp.

"Diamon…?" Magimon breathed with inquiry. When she was returned with no response she shook him gently and repeated the statement. "Diamon…!" she said again, slightly more forceful. Still nothing. Worry began to grow inside the two children and the feline Digimon, but it quickly turned into full on dread when Squall made a startling discovery. Diamon's chest-which had been weakly but steadily rising and falling with his respiration-was now completely still.

"He's not breathing…" Squall said, quiet with great concern. Realizing what this meant, Magimon became frantic as she fiercely shook and shouted at Diamon in a futile effort to rouse him.

"Diamon!!! Don't die on me! Please! Don't you dare die on me!!" she shouted frenetically. She felt as though this was her fault. Diamon was injured so badly because he was trying to protect her. If he died, that would mean that his blood would be partly on her hands. But it was more than that. She felt things for him that she had not felt before. Love so deep that she would gladly take his place with the grim reaper if she could... anything to stay the cold hands of death.

She held his lifeless form as close to her as she possibly could, burying her face in his chest as she sobbed uncontrollably.

You can take my breath away…

Sometime later, Magimon kneeled before a gravestone in a makeshift graveyard about a quarter mile from Primary Village. In her mind she spoke a silent prayer as she let a single tear slide down her face and hit the grass below. Then suddenly, she heard something like a sweet voice in her head… like a ghost from her past.

"Hey, Magimon…" but this was no ghost. It was Diamon! Standing silently beside her, alive and well.

Okay, so maybe he was not all that well. His head and chest were wrapped in bandages (protecting his concussion and shattered ribcage) and his left arm was in a sling, but he was alive and that is all that really mattered.

He kneeled beside her and smiled lovingly into those beautiful sky-blue eyes.

"Diamon! How'd you find me?" she asked him.

"Well, I dropped by Primary Village with my friend, Kawiimon." He began to explain. "See, Kawiimon is good friends with Elecmon so she comes to visit him every now and then. I came with her this time and when we got here Elecmon told me you were here."

"Elecmon never could keep himself from rambling, could he?" she replied with a giddy smirk. Her look turned somber as she returned her gaze to the tombstone. "This graveyard was setup by the Digidestined in memory of all the good Digimon who gave their lives to protect them. I come here often to remember her." Diamon looked at the tombstone in front of them and read the name to himself.

MegnaLadyDevimon

U.C. 0085-0112

"Ah…you must miss her a lot." Diamon said to her as his own mirth faded.

"Like I said, it doesn't hurt as much anymore." The feline replied. "But the pain never really goes away. It's always with me, at least a little."

"I can understand." Diamon said with a nod. Magimon got to thinking and turned to Diamon.

"Diamon… why did you jump in front of me when Satinmon fired his 'Crimson Fire Blast' attack?" she asked him sincerely.

"I already told you. I made a promise to you and I was determined to keep it." he said, knowing full well that it was not the full truth.

"C'mon!" she said while looking at him with a stern yet smirking expression. Diamon decided it would be best if he confessed.

"Well, yes I did do it because of the promise I made to you but it was also because… because…" he was starting to feel quite choked up. He continued to stammer for a moment or two until Magimon pressed a finger to his lips to silence him.

"Ssshh! Don't speak. I think I understand, now." She said, smiling warmly at him. "And let me just say that… I love you too…" she leaned forward, wrapping her arms around his neck as she planted a passionate kiss on his lips.

Diamon's eyes once again took on the hue of florescent pink but it could not be noticed as he closed them, wrapped his own arms around her and returned her kiss just as passionately. Now that he had found the love he had been searching for he felt like he could remain in that embrace forever.

"Diamon! It's time to go!" Kawiimon shouted from on top a hill in the distance. Diamon broke the kiss and looked at her barely visible silhouette far away, the sun setting slowly behind her.

"I guess I gotta go home." He said to Magimon.

"It's okay. Maybe we'll meet again someday." She said hopefully.

"I'd like that…" he said as he took one last loving look at her before turning and beginning to walk away.

When he was just about to leave her he stopped and looked back. He stared deep into those sky-blue eyes so full of emotion and his heart melted with love. He said one last thing to her before leaving.

"Magimon… if you ever need me, just call. I'll always be your hero." She smiled wide with glee to hear this as he turned and walked away.

I can be… your hero…

The end

Disclaimer: I don not own, nor do I claim to own Digimon: Digital Monsters of any characters or storylines there of. It is the rightful property of Sanban Entertainment, Bandia, Toei, etc. Nor do I own the characters of Skye, Magimon, MegnaLadyDevimon, and Santinmon, which are the property of Skye Gailbraith. Finally, I do not own the song "Hero" by Enrique Iglasious. All I own are the characters of Squall, Diamon and Kawiimon as well as the plot.