Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Ancient's Revenge ❯ Big Brother's Watching ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Miashin does not own Digimon. Digimon is copyrighted to Toei, Bandai, and all the other companies and people that have stocks and ownership of the brand and merchandise. This story is purely a fanmade work and is not used to make any sort of monetary gain.
 
* * *
 
I know indeed what evil I intend to do,
but stronger than all my afterthoughts is my fury,
fury that brings upon mortals the greatest evils.
Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC) Medea, 431 B.C.
 
Chapter 1
Big Brother's Watching
 
It had been weeks since the museum fire. Police and news reports eventually labeled it as an accident, caused by the testing of a badly built (re-built) machine. A tragedy, sad, but ultimately unimportant except to the family of the two men who's lives it took. Within a week it was out of headline news, by two weeks it was barely acknowledged, in three weeks all but the most closely associated people to the case had forgotten the event.
 
Or that's how it went for the public at least. To him the picture was much clearer. Intelligence services had descended onto the event like starving vultures. They hadn't found him, he'd been scanning and tracking all information on the subject of his awakening, and so he knew for a fact that they had no knowledge of his existence. Hate it as he might, this new digital technology was quite useful.
 
He had come into the world almost completely without notice, but he couldn't hide on random net servers forever. To be precise, he could do so, but refused to. After his hundred years of confinement all he wished for was revenge. THEY were still here, as immortal, or close to it, as he was. He would find them, make them suffer, and ultimately destroy them. He would take back this world which was rightfully his.
 
He would once again have his beloved second half beside him again.
 
But to accomplish all that he needed a form, a body, a host. Preferably someone from who's mind he could learn all the recent events of digital nature. Something integrally tied to this new world of his. And not just any being, it had to be a person or creature of power. Enough power to stand against all his enemies, current or future.
 
A stream of data blipped across his server, flicking onto it and then bouncing off again across the net. He'd seen a few of these before, but hadn't had the strength to follow the odd data eggs to their destinations. Now he did. Stirring awake, the shapeless form of dark data followed the traveling digiegg as it bounced between networks and servers, domains and hosts, homes and offices. It had a goal, he could tell, a clearly defined destination towards which it was heading. A thin string of data that flickered occasionally along the eggs path led the data forms direction.
 
The egg....it would eventually hatch wouldn't it? Beggars couldn't be choosy and right now any host was better then no host. Perhaps he could attach himself temporarily to this being until he was strong enough to take control of something more powerful...like a human. Not perhaps, that's exactly what he would do.
 
The egg had no defense against the black swirl of darkness that covered its sunny yellow form, turning it a deep shade of violet.
 
* * *
 
Izumi was a happy little kid as he looked upon his greatest achievement yet. Certainly he wasn't one to cheat, but it was so easy to upgrade his calculator to be more...functional. Sure it wasn't anything close to his ultimate goal, a man made digivice, but it was one heck of a start. The calculator in his hands was almost as capable as his laptop, the fact that his laptop was getting to be quite dated didn't diminish his excitement in the least.
 
Said laptop, as if jealous, began to give off a series of beeping alarms as various warning messages blipped onto its screen. “What now...” Izumi sighed, putting the calculator down on his work table and rolling over to his computer table with a push of his legs, chairs with wheels were wonderful for such tricks.
 
His annoyance lasted only as long as it took him to glance through the various messages. Each one causing him to turn paler by the second. Abandoning his chair, he practically leaped the short distance between the laptop and his cellphone. With three flicks of his thumb he had the phone speedialing. It took far too long for the person on the other side to pick up, five rings to be exact, half a ring-short of being sent to voice-mail.
 
“Kamiya speaking...” yawned a tired voice across the line. “Tai, something bad's moving across the net.” Izumi rushed straight to the problem turning back to his laptop and initializing the necessary programs to track the disturbance that had triggered his alarm programs.
 
“Huh, Izzy? Do you know what time it is?” The end of the sentence was barely discernible over a long loud yawn, it was obvious that what his friend had just told him had completely flown over his sleep muddled brain. At the question Izumi spared a glance sideways at his alarm clock which happily told him it was about two-thirty in the morning. Looked like he gotten a little too preoccupied with working on his calculator.
 
But the time of day didn't matter, other then the fact that it sounded like Taichi was already back to snoring. How to get the other boy's attention? Well, Izumi wasn't a genius in computers alone. “Diablomon's back.”
 
The reaction was an immediate and loud “WHAT!” that made Izumi flinch the cellphone away from his ear. He quickly brought it back, holding it in position with a shoulder as both his hands became preoccupied with the laptop's keyboard. “Well not exactly.” Izumi amended his earlier statement now tat he had the other's attention.
 
“What's going on?” Now Taichi sounded weary, quite awake and attentive.
 
“I'm not sure yet. Something's moving at rapid speed over the net. It came through my web client and triggered just about every warning system I had up.” A moment of silence as Izumi pulled up more detailed information on the culprit. “It's a digiegg.” he stated, and both boys felt a sinking sense of dei ja vu. A digiegg was how the whole Diablomon fiasco started.
 
“I don't think its actually Diablomon, the data structure is far too different.” Izumi continued on. “But its signature level is that of a Mega digimon even though it's just an egg, it triggered all the alarms I set up just in case Diablomon or Myotismon ever returned, and finally it seems to be carrying some kind of virus.” Another pause as Izumi uttered a vulgar oath.
 
“What, what happened?” Taichi was by now on the proverbial edge of the chair, Izumi did not have a habit of foul language.
 
“It's fast too. I tried to block off its progress, lock it up until we could get around to it. But it just bounced around the cage. It seems to be heading somewhere.”
 
There was shuffling over on the other side of the phone. “What can we do then?” Izumi was about to answer when his tracking programs suddenly lost the digiegg. He looked back at the clock, two-forty was not a good time to be out and about. “Nothing now. It's not on the Internet anymore, must have bio-emerged somewhere.”
 
“Can you find out where?”
 
“Yeah, I can. But it'll take time. It was moving too quickly either way, the best I could give you would be a general location. And even that'll probably take me the rest of the night to find out.”
 
“...So you woke me up for nothing?”
 
“TAI!”
 
“I know, I know. Important world threatening business and all that. But you just said there's nothing for us to do, and now... You KNOW I won't be able to go back to sleep. Not with this lurking over my head.” Now Taichi just sounded exasperated, another series of shuffles from his line was probably the other boy lying back down.
 
“That makes two of us. Look I'm sorry, I thought that I could catch it, and then you and Agumon could go give it a closer look, you two are on duty this week.”
 
“Nuh uh. As of twelve o' clock this morning, night, whatever, it was Joe's turn.”
 
Izumi sighed, there was no winning this argument. “Right, sorry 'bout that then. I'll call you back when I get more info.”
 
“You better.” Taichi muttered, “Hear ya later then.”
 
“Bye.” And with that final word, Izumi listened to the line be cut. Letting the cellphone slide off his shoulder int a waiting hand he closed it with a sigh. It was going to be a long, annoying, night.
 
By the time the sun was peeking through the window he had made little progress. Whatever had bio-emerged couldn't possibly have been just a digiegg. The thing had gone back and erased its trail, probably guessing the pursuit after Izumi's failed trap. His eyes, neck, and shoulders ached from being hunched over a glowing screen all night long and he had nothing to show for the effort.
 
Diablomon had been frightening simply because he was so powerful. Whatever this being was could at the very least match that monster of a digimon in power but it opparated completely differently. Where Diablomon, on both occasions of his appearance, had been blunt to the point that everybody with a digital screen had noticed his coming and going, this being was being extremely careful to hide itself. If Izumi hadn't hacked into his network provider and placed those alarm systems he himself would never have known that this creature had ever appeared.
 
It was a frightening though. Power alone was daunting, power and cunning together was downright terrifying.
 
* * *
 
Daisuke was awoken by shrieking. Though for a change it didn't belong to his alarm clock. Half awake he mumbled something along the lines of “Too noisy.” before rolling over and curling up under the blankets, making sure that quite a decent amount of the fabric was covering his ears. There was no escape from the disturbance though as Jun rushed into his room happily singing.
 
“I've got a digimon, I've got a digimon, I've got a digimon...” she shoved the sleeping form on the bed roughly, since obviously she wasn't being given the attention due to such a glorious event.
 
“Don't you know you should knock.” Daisuke muttered darkly while trying to curl deeper into his blankets. Annoyed at the reaction, Jun grabbed a fistful of the covers and ripped them off her brother. Daisuke gave a yelp of protest as cozy warmth was suddenly replaced by very uncozy cold. “Don't do that!” He turned on his sibling, now quite awake and angry. “What if I slept in the nude!”
 
“Eww...” Jun wrinkled her nose in disgust, for a moment thrown off her cheer by the unpleasant imagery. Too soon though, she was back in chipper mood, thrusting an object right into Daisuke's scowling face. “Nevermind that. Look, look. I got a digimon.”
 
Daisuke had to go cross-eyed for a second to see just what Jun had almost squished his nose with. “Uh, June. That's a digivice not a digimon.” Indeed, once he'd leaned back far enough from the object to see it clearly it did reveal itself to be a digivice, much like the ones Tai and the other first generation kids possessed.
 
“Duh. I know that. But having this means that I've got a digimon somewhere.” Jun gasped in excitement, suddenly clapping her hands together and dashing out of the room. “It's probably by the computer!” she cried happily to nobody in particular.
 
With a groan, Daisuke fell back against his pillow. He might seriously have gone back to sleep, even without the blanket, if his alarm hadn't decided to add its own voice to the growing cacaphony of the house hold. Slapping a hand down on the annoying machine, he spent a total of three whole minutes glaring at any and all school related objects in his room, before a call from his mother had him finally crawling out of bed.
 
It wasn't until after he'd brushed his teeth, put on his uniform (new school standards), and started packing his bag for school that the enormity of the situation hit him. Realization dawned on Daisuke as soon as he collected his D-3 and D-Terminal, his sister had a digimon. His sister was a digidestined. Three seconds later found Daisuke leaning over the kitchen table, and Jun's breakfast. “You've got a digimon?”
 
Jun leveled a pouting glare at him. “No” she said, and attacked her rice as if it was the source of all her problems.
 
“But you said-”
 
“I couldn't find it.” she cut him off viciously.
 
“Oh...” Daisuke leaned back, not knowing really what to do now. On the one hand he felt bad for her, she'd obviously been quiet happy at the idea that she might have a digimon just like Chibimon. On the other hand he was relieved that she wouldn't be getting involved with the digital world, He didn't want to think about whether his relief stemmed from concern or a sense of jealousy if she had gotten a digimon.
 
Their father obviously heard at least the last part of the conversation as he sat himself down at the table. “Good. Don't need any more trouble around here.” he stated matter of factly as their mother placed a bowl of rice before him and Daisuke after the boy had seated himself. That comment effectively sealed the digimon subject at the table, though the mood remained tense and uncomfortable throughout the rest of the breakfast.
 
“Bah, stupid!” Jun declared as soon as both children were out the door of the apartment and heading for the elevator. “He doesn't get it. Can you believe it, a digimon for me.” She sighed, going to a calmer version of her excited joy of the morning. “I just wonder where it is.”
 
Daisuke didn't like it, the idea of his sister as digidestined. And ultimately he didn't care whether it was because of worry or jealousy, to him it was just plain bad. “Maybe dad's right, ya know. Maybe it's a good thing it isn't here.” Both children stopped before the sliding elevator doors.
 
As they waited for the machine to come up to their floor, they both turned to look over the railing of apartments walkway down into the street. They both knew that part of the patrol routine involved their street at about the same time each day they headed for school. Watching the tank, a machine more suited for war zones then peaceful city streets even if it was using turn signals, entering and rolling down the street was an odd sight.
 
The military, either in the form of tanks, new school policies, ID checks, and other such 'small' changes had become a fixed presence in the city ever since the second Diablomon incident. Jun had to agree just slightly, that perhaps this was a bad time to be related to digimon at all.
 
* * *
 
Published: June 29, 2007