Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Angel Devoid ❯ the dream ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
disclaimer: Digimon and the characters therein do not belong to me. This is just a fanfic, my only digimon fanfic to date, and probably the only I will ever write. Actually, it was the first fanific I ever wrote, and decided to revise it, espoecially after seeing / reading Kaden's "P.S." which also deals with nightmares of doom by a digimon charachter. ...And feel free to shoot me for using their English dub names.





ANGEL DEVOID
By Silva Noir
Chapter 1




She coughed uncontrollably. The air was acrid and thick, chocking her. From the oppressive heat and humidity she guessed she was in a jungle of some sorts. There were only the faintest hints of a landscape; otherwise it was dark. It wasn't that of night, no, it was far deeper than that. It was the type of dense blackness astronauts talked about seeing in space, velvety and tangible, endless and covering every available millimeter and stretching out in waves. The large mass of oblivion obscured any path for escape. It took any light and absorbed it like a sponge refusing to let even the tiniest drop leak out. Tides of this wicked sea dredged trees from off their rooting and sucked them down into its riptide.

Devouring the world with insatiable mindless hunger, it took not notice or care for barely audible screams of unseen victims. Inhuman yowls, yelps and screeches rang out that she immediately knew to be the dying cries of animals of all shapes and sizes. She knew how they were dying as well from the sizzling that slowly grew nearer. This was more than fire, this was disintegration of all matter caused by an invisible negative force that did not leave any trace, not even ashes, in its aftermath.

There were no words to describe the fear that wrenched at her heart. An entire world was being annihilated, and there was nothing to do to stop it, nowhere to run, and no one to hear her shouts for help. Worse yet its acid tendrils reached for her, tiny slits at the smoldering edges of this horrid non-being that served as eyes of glowing sinister red holding it in its sights. She backed up only to be met with another wall of a ferocious vacuum behind her, drawing her in with tremendous force. She did her best to resist the pull. A snakelike section curled back and prepared to throw itself like a mighty whip. It lashed out, making contact with her body, tiny in comparison to the smothering blob. Vines of abyss coiled their way around the pale skin of her bare legs, cutting the flesh like a hot knife through butter. Devil tentacles slurped blood up soundlessly. She struggled to get free but to no avail.

She looked down to see exactly what hellish beast had a hold of her. Tissue wasn't just dissolving with its black saliva; squares of her skin tone were scattering like confetti. Bits of data were being deleted. She knew then those animals were not earth creatures at all, but rather digimon meeting an ill fate. This was unlike any virus she had encountered before. She sensed no good or evil from it, rather there was nothing. The most frightening nothingness one could imagine. There was no hope, no consciousness, no reasoning with it. It was the end of all things, the end of all time, and now, the end of her.

"Kari, Kari wake up!"

The teenaged girl's brain sluggishly registered her name being called. Her eyelids creaked open. Marmalade hair and white sheets were disheveled as she had thrashed in her sleep. She stretched, neck still aching. She hadn't gotten any real rest in months. She had been having those dreams again. Those horrible unspeakable dreams. It was supposed to be over, they had left the digital world behind years ago. Why did the visions still haunt her? And why were the nightmares a thousand times worse than the ones she had ever experienced as a child? How could she tell the others that it wouldn't stop? She knew the way they looked at her... in disbelief, wondering if she wasn't a little looney. After all, if there had been any real trouble, wouldn't they have heard something? Anytime she had begged them to check results came out without a single sign of what she claimed. They chalked it up to worry, and a bit of stress. She felt it was more.

"Maybe I am going crazy". She mused aloud, finally taking notice of her alarm clock with claws. "Gatomon? What are you doing here?"

The white feline in gloves looked up at her, eyes full of concern "I thought you could tell me. One minute I was having a nice catnap, the next I'm in your bedroom, watching you scream, begging you to wake up. What's wrong? It thought you were dying..."

"I thought I was too" She pulled on better clothes and ran a brush through her limp hair. Her fingers paused over the lipstick, but she didn't feel like putting on makeup, or jewelry for that matter, it would only weight her down more. "Stay here, I'll be back in a few hours, then I'll tell you all about it". Exhausted she made her way out the door with a baby blue cardboard card and a package in her hands.

She looked own at the invitation, as if willing the time on it to change to later.... although it was already quite late in the afternoon. "Must have dozed off while cleaning my room" she shrugged. She'd made it a point to try not to let herself lay down enough for any length of time, in hopes of preventing oncoming dreams. That method had failed, as she'd regain consciousness after another terrifying episode on a tile floor, or leaning against a counter, or even in the middle of class.

She strolled by the real ocean. It was a calm, serene aqua blue. A slightly older boy sat silently by the water's edge, skipping rocks across the surface. Strands of deepest navy blew in the wind over the high collar of a black wool jacket. If she hadn't known better, she would swear it was Ken, but he had moved away a year ago, no one had heard a single word from him since. She had heard many rumors, all too ridiculous to take seriously. Truth was no one really knew where or why he had gone.... not even his parents. One day he was there, the next: gone, and clever enough to cover all his tracks.

The boy at the ocean hurled a heavier rock into the water and cursed. Then he stood up and walked off into the shadows.

She had wanted to talk to him, but not now. Whoever he was...was not in a good mood. She turned the box over in her hand, staring at the shiny yellow wrapper and iridescent green bow. T.K.'s birthday was today. And she was late. Talking to him would only have made her even more late....

Bright lights, streamers, balloons, and happy music greeted her as she pushed through the crowd to find her ever-smirking friend. "Here you go, birthday boy" she forced a smile. The nightmare had been a particularly bad one, and she wasn't in the mood to be cheery, but she would do her best to fake it, for him. This was his day, not hers. She couldn't be selfish, especially over something as silly as a scary dream.

"A watch, thanks Kari" he hugged her after tearing open the wrapping and opening the box. "For all our great times hanging out together, right?"

"Yeah" she replied absent-mindedly. 'Or, whatever I could think of to give you. Boys aren't exactly easy to shop for' she thought. Her eyes pleaded with his. "Can I talk to you about something, alone?"

"Sure, you can talk to me about anything you know that, just later. Right now we've got CAKE!" He jumped up enthusiastically and practically skipped over to the table where the cake lay. How could she bring him down now with her less than joyous news? She had never seen him so ecstatic.

"Later...." she had tried to talk to him about it before, but he only half listened. She'd stopped trying. He didn't care what it was or why, only saw that it was hurting her and did his best to drag her away from it. She was grateful for all the smiles he gave her, 'all the good times', as he'd said. But for once...for once could he stop, think...try to understand?

TK was afraid of the darkness. Afraid of losing her. She knew that. He didn't want to face it. He stayed in the light. She hid there along with him. But this other part of her always there....

The waves called her even now, to slip beneath and drown forever, perhaps with the boy that had been skipping rocks. She didn't want to meet doom alone, nor did she want to sacrifice any of her dearest companions.

"Hey Kari! You look...sad. Why? This is a great party!" Davis, of course. He had plunked himself down on the seat next to hers. He was shoving his face full of cake and ice cream.

"Do you know if Ken is back in town?"

He stared at her. "What are you psychic or something?"

"Or something...." She fumbled her hands over each other, wringing her fingers.

"Well yeah he is. I invited him to the party, but I don't know if he'll show. Hey this is my favorite song. Do you wanna dance?" It was more in effort to get her to cheer up than anything else. He had learned to give up on his hopeless crush a long time ago.

"No, no thanks..." she didn't feel like dancing at all.

"Ok. Hey, you know, if everyone else is to busy, you can always talk to me about whatever's bugging you" he offered with a nearly irresistible grin.

"Thank you, but right now, I think I'd rather be alone". She couldn't begin to try and tell him about it. He'd go in against the monster, guns blazing so to speak, foolishly throwing himself in harms way for her sake. She wouldn't let that happen. That is, if there really was a monster. She began to doubt herself again. He thought so highly of her, she didn't want him to witness her spiral into insanity, either.

"Alright. Just don't mope for too long, you'll miss out on all the good stuff in life" He bounced off to go find someone to dance with. He finally dragged Yolie to the dance floor. She certainly looked different without the scarf in her hair and with contacts. Davis and Yolie were only friends, of course. She didn't look too thrilled at his... ahem... unique manner of dancing. Then again, she was no graceful ballerina herself.

A good part of both groups of dig destined were there, along with other friends from school and a smattering of relatives. This was the perfect gathering, happy and wonderful, in a time of peace. It was a fairytale ending, all wonderful and covered in flowers, absent of the threatening creatures from another world that had plagued their lives only a handful of years ago. And that was true, to some point. They had been nothing but good to her and she really should be enjoying herself.

Yet there was trouble in paradise. Her light was growing weak, soul traveling down a far different path, one she could not refuse, no matter how hard she tried. She should have been by T.K.'s side tonight, but she couldn't. No one would want to see her down... they needed and wanted to have fun. She'd stay out of their way.

Everyone was too caught up in the festivities to notice the girl all alone in the corner drawing her knees up to her, huddled in a ball, wishing for the terrible visions to stop. She opened her eyes at one point, a blurry image of blue facing her, curious and cold. "Kari...are you alright?" The voice was soothing... she recognized it barely. Ken had shown up after all. And more importantly, had been the one in the black jacket she had seen earlier.

"No..." she said honestly, voice shaking.

"I'll get TK for you, they're playing a game, but I believe he'll find you more important..."

"But TK can't help me..." She closed her eyes again, shutting out the pain, forcing the currents of nothingness away.

"Then what would you like me to do?"

"I don't know what to do. How can you? Nobody can help me.... no one..."

He reached out for her, infinite sadness held in those pools of blue, thought better of it and moved away. "I'm sorry. I truly am. I'll be going now..." he stopped himself in a seeming mental argument on whether to say anything more "What Davis told you was right. You should have your fun now. Because the world is coming to end very soon," with that Ken left the party before she could ask him what exactly he had meant by it.

It was just a very odd coincidence, wasn't it? It had to be. No one else had seen what she had... and Ken had always been like that, somehow reducing the value of humanity or sulking into some sort of fit of melancholy or at the most extreme, violence.

She sighed and brought herself to her feet. What had made her act that way? She had probably just hurt Ken's feelings. Why was she always hurting the ones she cared about? I should be stronger, not let it effect me so much. With another fake grin plastered on her face she went over to socialize with Yolei and the others. Yolei wouldn't let her be depressing. She could use the other girl's strength to carry her through the night. There was no use in brooding.

Soon TK joined up with her, and took her hand in his. A simple gesture, all he could think to do. He gripped it tight, keeping her and her soul close to his, not letting her fall away. Someone had told him the troubled way she had looked. He had thought that was all done with. She had proclaimed as much only a few days ago. It had been a complete lie of course.

"It will be ok. Just hang in there, I'm sure you'll feel better soon," he said in efforts to console her.

"It won't be ok," she whispered too low for him to hear her.

She fought the tears. She didn't want him to know anymore. She didn't want any of this to be happening. Why couldn't she be like the other girls? Why did she see the things she did?

"Why me? I want to be like them. I don't want to be me right now... Smile Kari, smile...."

It had never been so hard to pretend to be happy.