Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Worlds ❯ Fight Like an Animal ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Broken Worlds 3

Fight Like an Animal

"Jenrya--no!" Shuichon gasped. "Jenrya!" She stared in shock to see her brother in front of her with three razor sharp objects sticking out of his chest dripping with his blood--her brothers, the only brother she had left--blood. He had thrown himself in front of her when the Midnight Fox was about to attack. The Midnight Fox stabbed through his back and a lung was punctured. He fought to breath, to hold his head up. Blood trickled out of the corner of his mouth. She had almost punctured his heart.

"Jenrya, why did you do it?" she asked, close to sobbing.

"Because you're," he winced, "my sister. Run, Shuichon. Run, you're…safe now."

Shuichon put her arms around him and pulled him off the claw. His blood stained her shirt as she embraced him.

"I can't leave," she whispered. She could feel his warm blood dripping on her. "Oh, Jenrya, hold on. You must hold on! You can't leave me alone like this. You're all I got!"

Midnight Fox, however, stood just as shocked as Shuichon was. She looked at her claw that was now stained with Jenrya's blood. 'He put his life at risk for his sister,' she thought. 'It's unbelievable. Men are not like that, are they?'

Shuichon looked up at Midnight Fox with her eyes filled with resentment. "Why?" she demanded. "Why my brother? Why Jenrya?"

"Because he's a man," she replied.

"He's a man? Is that the only reason?"

"All men must die."

Shuichon sneered. "Why must you kill all men? Even the good ones? Why not the ones rode in my village and attacked my home? Why not the ones who put these scars all over my body? Why not the men who killed my brother Rinchei and kidnapped my sister Jaarin? Why not them? Why did you have to take Jenrya?"

"I've taken the lives of others," Midnight Fox said, "even women."

"Yes, I've heard of you, Midnight Fox," Shuichon said, "the infamous assassin. You kill mostly men but you've killed women too." She felt her anger rise by the moment. Every animal tactic she had learned over the years came to her mind again and she felt like an animal herself. Not just a rabbit, but also a tiger, a bear, a snake, a crane, she was all fighting animals. "You will end taking lives now, you hear me? Jenrya will be the last life you take! Prepare yourself, Midnight Fox!" she put her brother down on his side so dirt would not infect the wound on his back and chest. "I have been taught well, and I just don't mean my brother! This is your last man hunt, Midnight Fox!"

"Shuichon, don't," Jenrya pleaded weakly. He winced as he felt something move across his wound. It was the tongue of a panther. Shuichon's animal friends were here to help. The panther was licking his wounds.

Shuichon pulled her feet back twice like a bull, tightening her fists at her sides. She hissed like a snake and growled like a tiger. Fire in her eyes, she charged Midnight Fox, leaped up in the air and kicked her in the face. Midnight Fox's mask broke and Shuichon saw the truth behind the mask.

"You're a woman," Shuichon whispered as Midnight Fox held her hand to her scratched face and removing the last bit of mask. She was sneering just as Shuichon was, "you're not a demon. You're a woman! Just like me! I have no reason to fear you, you, you evil bitch!"
"Oh, yes you will," Midnight Fox muttered, "you've cut my face and for every cut, I'll give you a broken bone!"

"Not if you can't catch me!" Shuichon snarled, jumping back and rebounding off of a tree. She landed behind Midnight Fox and attacked with an eagle technique. The Midnight Fox jabbed at Shuichon with her claw but Shuichon ducked and kicked her in the shins. The Midnight Fox was taller than Shuichon, but Shuichon was fast and light on her feet. Shuichon grabbed Midnight Fox's claw, remembering how strong the praying mantis was to lift many pounds more it's weight. Shuichon felt that strength. It was raging with in her. She picked the Midnight Fox up over her head and tossed her over her shoulder. The Midnight Fox landed on her feet. Shuichon turned and Midnight Fox slashed her arm. Wincing in pain, but not letting it take her over, Shuichon grabbed Midnight Fox's arms, pulled her down and mashed her nose with her temple. Still enraged, she kicked her square in the chest, following up with a crane technique.

"I am every animal!" Shuichon yelled. "Look around! Do you see them? Since I was a little girl, they have been my teachers, my senseis. I am the girl that can fight like an animal!"

"No matter what animal you are," Midnight Fox snarled, "you can't beat me." Midnight Fox tripped Shuichon and advanced to her. "I've been fighting longer than you have. I was the Gladiator Queen!"

Shuichon gasped, "I've heard of you!" she laughed. "Ha, you left your throne because you didn't want to share your glory with a man. If I were you, I would've become Ryo's Queen. It's better to fight along side others than alone!"

"I beg to differ," Midnight Fox reached for her scimitar but before she could, Shuichon kipped up and pushed Midnight Fox flat down on her back. Shuichon squatted down on Midnight Fox's torso, pinning her. Midnight Fox felt cold, unbelievingly cold. Shuichon felt something change and churn in side of her. She wasn't just fighting like an animal; she was becoming one. The strange force inside Midnight Fox was now attempting to enter Shuichon. The animals could sense it and before Shuichon could do anything else, the jackal took her arm in its mouth and pulled her off of Midnight Fox.

"Let me go!" Shuichon shouted.

The jackal and other animals growled. A bear got between Shuichon and Midnight Fox, forcing her to back away.

"This isn't over, Midnight Fox!" Shuichon hissed. "We'll settle this!"

"I intend to, little one." Midnight Fox muttered and fled away.

"My brother better live," Shuichon shouted after her. "You hear me! For your sake, he'd better live!"

Shuichon groaned and walked over to Jenrya.

"You shouldn't have fought her," he grimaced.

"I had to," she said, lifting him up and putting an arm around him.

"She could've killed you."

"I'm stronger than you think. I have to get you to someone." She explained as she let him lean on her while she walked away. "You're losing too much blood. Please, hold on."

A deer ran along side them. Shuichon smiled. "Thank you, friend." The deer lay down so Shuichon can get her brother to mount the animal. Shuichon got on behind him and pressed her hand to his wound. "Hurry."

The deer took off to the south, where Juri's tavern was located.

****

"How do you expect us to get a lead here?" Kenta demanded. "The only people here are drunks!"

"Perhaps, but this is where all the gossip is," Hirokazu said.

"Who are those two?" Takato asked Juri at the bar. He pointed to Kenta and Hirokazu.

"Bounty hunters," she replied. "They're searching for Midnight Fox."

"I've heard of her," Takato said. "There's a price on her head for 12,000 gold coins."

"And that man there is the only one brave enough to catch her," Juri nodded to Hirokazu. "I think his partner is trying to talk him out of it."

Takato sipped his ale. "I wish I could do something to help."

"They've been waiting here for hours for a lead," Nikari stated, "but I think they just like me."

Juri smiled. "Nikari…"

"Maybe we should try another bar, Hirokazu," Kenta said, "You expect our lead to just walk inside the door saying they just saw Midnight Fox?"

Right after Kenta said that, Shuichon barged inside the tavern, holding her brother to her. "Help! My brother is hurt!"

Everyone turned around to her. Hirokazu set down his ale. "That might be our lead."

"What happened?" Juri questioned.

"It was…Midnight Fox!" Shuichon shouted. "She attacked my brother!"

Hirokazu grinned. "Finally!"

Many of the guests gasped and left the tavern in a hurry, screaming about Midnight Fox coming to kill them. Shuichon came deeper in.

"Takato, Masahiko," Juri said, "bring him up stairs so I can tend to him!"

"Certainly," Takato said, taking Jenrya's arm as Masahiko took the other. Jenrya looked tiredly up at Takato and they looked at each other like they've seen one another somewhere, but couldn't remember when.

"I'm coming with you," Shuichon said, "He's my brother!"

"It's best you stay here, miss," Juri said.

"No!"

"Nikari, get her a drink," Juri ordered.

"Yes, Juri," Nikari said. "This way, miss."

"But I don't want a drink!" Shuichon shouted. "I want my brother!"

"He will be all right," Juri insisted. "Please stay here. You can see him after I tend to him. I'll come to you."

Hirokazu stood up and put an arm around Shuichon, "yes, madam, it's best you stay here. Have a drink. Some dinner. It's on me." He nodded at Nikari and she started making something for Shuichon to eat and drink.

"It's all right, Juri," Kenta said. "We'll keep her company."

"Thank you," Juri said and went up stairs. Masahiko was removing Jenrya's shirt and beginning to dab his wound with water. Takato was still looking at Jenrya as if he knew him.

"Masahiko, Takato," she said, "thank you. I will take it from here."

"Has he ever been to your tavern, Juri?" Takato questioned.

Juri shook her head. "No. Never seen him or his sister."

"Strange," Takato said, "I feel like I know him."

"Take over down stairs, Masahiko. I will let you know if I need anything."

"Are you sure, Juri?" Masahiko asked.

"Yes," she sighed. "Now, the man is bleeding to death." There was a reason why she was so eager to get the men out of the room. It wasn't because she was afraid of a fight to break out down stairs and all the food and bear will be stolen, but because she didn't want them to know she was a mage.

"Very well, Sis." Masahiko said. Takato took one last look at Jenrya and the two left, closing the door behind them.

Juri walked over to Jenrya and he opened his eyes. "Who--"

"Shh," she said, "I'm here to help you." She took out her box containing her spell cards and searched for her healing card. She pushed away the compress Masahiko had been using. "I'm surprised you're still alive." She lifted him up to examine the wound. "The wounds go through your chest. What happened?"

"She was going to kill my sister because she saved me," he mumbled. "Then…I threw my self in front of her."

"You really care for your sister."

"She's all I've got."

"Please, relax." She held out her healing card. "This card will heal you."

"You're a card mage!" he gasped.

"Magic will heal your wounds faster," she explained. The healing card started to glow white and she chanted a few words. Sparkles extracted from the card and to Jenrya's wounds. He closed his eyes, waiting for a sting, but there wasn't one. He opened his eyes again and the sparkles slowed down the bleeding. His wounds came close together as if the sparkles were stitches sewing the deep wounds together. It flowed deep through his body and closed up the three holes in his back. He couldn't believe what just happened. "Now, it is best you do not tell anyone this. If word got out I was a card mage, I'd lose all my customers."

"You saved my life," Jenrya said. "Who are you?"

"Juri. Get some sleep. You need the rest. The magic will continue to work."

Jenrya closed his eyes and Juri put a blanket over him. "Thank you."

"I'll tell your sister how you are doing," Juri left Jenrya alone.

****

"What can you tell us about Midnight Fox?" Hirokazu questioned.

"Pardon?" Shuichon demanded.

"Excuse us, we haven't introduced ourselves, haven't' we?" Hirokazu chuckled. "I am Hirokazu and this is Kenta. We are bounty hunters from the Raiden Guild. We're after Midnight Fox."

"We've been waiting here for a lead for some time," Kenta said. "Where did you have your conflict with Midnight Fox?"

"East of here. In the wilderness." Shuichon explained. "I fought with her and she left. She couldn't have gotten far. I think I hurt her bad."

"So she really is a woman," Hirokazu grinned. He looked at Kenta, "I told you!"

Shuichon nodded, "broke her mask. I saw her face, but the way she fought was different. Maybe there was an evil spirit in her body. She was once the Gladiator Queen."

"So that's what happened to her!" Kenta exclaimed.

"You must be careful," Shuichon warned. "She's very dangerous. Maybe I should go with you."

"No, Shuichon," Hirokazu said. "Stay here with your brother. We will go get her."

"We should tell the others," Kenta said.

"No time," Hirokazu muttered, "we have to move now. You saw her east of here, right?"

She nodded, "toward the Black Mountains, where the river runs. My deer can help you."

"She called me her dear," Hirokazu sighed.

Shuichon took another gulp of her drink, "no, my deer. My deer is just outside the tavern. He can lead you to Midnight Fox. I can communicate with animals. I'll tell him where he should take you."

"Quite some gift," Hirokazu said.

"I can fight like an animal too," Shuichon, said, "I've learned fighting skills from them." Shuichon stood up. "Follow me."

Kenta grabbed Hirokazu's arm. "Hirokazu, I really think we should tell the other guild members."

"Have you forgotten that we're bounty hunters?" Hirokazu demanded. "It's our job to get the outlaws. You see that girl?" He nodded to Shuichon, "you want to add to her pain?"

"You just want the money."

"It's more than the money," Hirokazu said, "but about honor. It's about helping people. We can't let someone else get hurt from Midnight Fox. We have to act now. Are you not my blood brother? Didn't you promise me that you'd help me?"

Kenta sighed and looked at his left palm. He remembered the day he and Hirokazu became blood brothers. They were kids.

Flashback

The robbers came to wreak havoc on their village again. The two boys sought shelter in a tight alley. As Kenta sat down, hugging his knees, Hirokazu looked out the alley watching the robbers maim, rape, steal and kill, feeling utterly helpless.

"If I were just a few years older," Hirokazu muttered, tightening his fist.

"They're going to find us, Hirokazu," Kenta said shakily, "they'll find us soon and kill us."

Hirokazu sighed, "then it this is a good time as any." He took out his knife.

"You're not going to fight them, are you?" Kenta asked.

"No," Hirokazu said. Holding the knife firmly in his right hand, he put his left palm over the blade and cut himself.

"Hirokazu!"

"We're going to become blood brothers," Hirokazu said, "so when they do find us, we'll still be brothers. Give me your hand."

Kenta looked at him, aghast. "What?"

"It won't be that deep."

Kenta frowned and held out his palm with closed eyes. He turned his face away as Hirokazu slashed his palm. He let out a whimper and Hirokazu gripped his hand in a tight handshake. Hirokazu squeezed his hand and Kenta could feel his blood seeping into his veins. Hearing the madness outside, Kenta squeezed just as hard.

"My brother," Hirokazu said.

"My brother," Kenta echoed.

"Forever."

"Forever."

The boys weren't killed that day. Becoming blood brothers saved them.

End Flashback

Kenta nodded. "Yes, we're blood brothers."

"We've got to do this, Kenta," Hirokazu said.

Kenta still felt skeptical. "But it'll be nearly impossible to kill Midnight Fox. You heard Shuichon, Midnight Fox is dangerous. Did you see that man Shuichon brought in here? She could do that to us!"

"Who said anything about killing her?" Hirokazu asked with a sly grin. "We're bounty hunters, not assassins. It's dead or alive, remember? All we've got to do is capture her."

Kenta groaned, "I hate it when you talk like that."

"Let's go, Blood Brother." Hirokazu said and they followed Shuichon outside. She was stroking her buck's neck and whispering in his ear.

"He'll lead you where you need to go," Shuichon said. "Keep your eyes open. She may be injured but she's still dangerous. She may go after another man."

"Don't worry, Shuichon," Hirokazu said, "we'll find her. Thank you."

Shuichon nodded, "it's getting dark. You must hurry."

"You get on," Hirokazu told Kenta, "I'll go on foot."

Kenta mounted the buck and they left Shuichon's sight. "Good luck!" she cried after them. "You'll need it."

****

As Jenrya slept, he could hear a woman calling him. "Jenrya. Jenrya, come." He thought it was in his dream, but it was real. He sat up and his wounds were fully healed, his body regenerated.

"Who's calling me?" he asked.

"Out here, Jenrya."

Jenrya got out of bed and went to the window. He pushed back the curtains and opened the window. He saw a bright red ball of light.

"Where are you?"

"Come, Jenrya. Come."

Jenrya looked down, "how?"

A beam from the ball of light came toward him and pulled him from the room. He gasped as it carried him into the night. "Who are you? What are you doing?"

"I will not harm you."

He was taken to the ball of light. Inside he saw a woman dressed in black mounted on a giant dog.

"I am waiting for the other," she said. "Takato."

Takato, after seeing the red ball of light from the tavern, ran out to get a better look. "Who are you?" Takato asked. He saw Jenrya. "You, you should be resting!"

"The woman Juri healed me," Jenrya said.

"How? The stab wounds went through your chest!"

"She didn't want me to tell," Jenrya said.

"Juri is a card mage," the woman said.

"How do you know?" Takato asked. "Who are you?"

"My name is Alice," she replied. "I've been searching for you, Demon Seekers."

"Demon Seekers?" Takato echoed.

"Yes. You are two of them," Alice said. "There are others. I've come to warn you about the great change."

"What great change?" Jenrya asked.

"The demons of our greatest nightmares exist in another world. They've found away to reach earth through a rip in time and space. There is a group of them called the Devas; giant animals that could speak."

Jenrya gasped, "My sister and I have been fighting them for years!"

"I know, I've seen you," Alice explained.

"Who are the other Demon Seekers?"

"You two are four of the strongest," Alice said, "I could only reach you for the moment. Ruki and Ryo I'll have to meet later."

"I don't know them," Jenrya said.

"You've met Ruki. She is now the Midnight Fox."

Jenrya gasped, "She tried to kill me and my sister! You mean to say she is one of us?"

Alice nodded, "there is a demon plaguing her body. She became so full of hate and that is what the evil spirit feeds off of."

"What can we do to help her?" Takato asked.

"She is getting helped," Alice said. "She will see what she has become."

Takato sighed, "I don't understand, how can I be a demon seeker? I am just a mere painter. I know not the slightest thing about combat."

"Have you ever done something you could not explain, Takato? While you painted something, did it look so real, as if it could become alive in front of your very eyes?" Alice questioned. "You have special powers. Powers to change reality into your making. You are an illusionist."

"An…illusionist?" he asked.

"You can make anything you want appear," she said, "you can confuse your enemies with illusions. You can do more than paint images onto piece of paper, you can make them real."

Takato gasped. He never knew. "I…never noticed."

"You will have to concentrate, but you will see."

"Where will we have to go?" Jenrya asked, "What should we do?"

Alice tossed a silver ball to Jenrya. "This is a map of the demon world. It will show you were to go. It also holds the power to keep the demons in their world where they belong. You have to find the gateway where they are entering our world and close it before others get here."

****

"Shuichon," Juri came to Shuichon who was sleeping on a table. "You can see your brother now. He is up stairs. Second room on the right."

"Oh, thank you," Shuichon said, running up stairs to see him. "Jenrya! Jenrya, how are you feeling?"

He didn't answer her.

"Are you sleeping?" she went to the door Juri told her and opened it. "Jenrya?" she walked inside and saw that he was gone. "Jenrya!" She hurried to his bed and picked up the blanket.

Shuichon tried to think where he went. She could only come up with one thing. "Midnight Fox, you've come to finish the job, haven't you?" she left the room and collided with Juri. "She's been here!"

"Who?" Juri asked.

"Midnight Fox," she replied, "She's here"

"No, you told Hirokazu and Kenta where to find her. She couldn't have come here. We would've known."

"Where is Jenrya?" Shuichon demanded.

"He must've gone out for some air. Your brother is all right. Midnight Fox does not know you're here. I'm certain she is still in the woods."

****

Midnight Fox stumbled away. She felt confused and still could not understand why Jenrya got in the way. The image played over and over in her head. Midnight Fox shook her head. 'Why am I thinking about this?' she thought. She sat down to think. "I feel so tired."

"My queen, I've finally found you."

"I know that voice," she muttered, turning around. There was Ryo, the gladiator king. "You've followed me!"

"I couldn't let you go," he said. "I knew you can handle the wilderness, but I couldn't stand to be apart from you."

"You make me sick how you speak like that!" she growled, standing up.

"I knew that the Midnight Fox had to be you," he said, "I searched for you."

"And now that you found me, what do you plan to do?" she demanded, "Shall we fight again?"

He noticed the cut on her face. "You've been injured."

"It's nothing," she muttered. "I don't want to hear anything out of you. What we started in the arena, we shall finish out here, in the wilderness!"

TBC