Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Worlds ❯ CRAWLING ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Broken Worlds 5

Crawling

Disclaimer/Notes: I do not own Digimon Tamers or Linkin Park. I decided to make this a song chapter because this is mostly about Ruki and her thoughts of what she did. And the song is cool!

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN

CONSUMING ALL I FEEL

FEAR IS HOW I FALL

CONFUSING WHAT IS REAL

Ruki may have been fast asleep and the evil spirit was taken out of her body, but she still felt the crawling of it underneath her skin. She felt it nabbing at her and an eerie coldness. Jenrya carried her back to Juri's tavern to let her sleep comfortably in one of the rooms. When he set her down, he noticed her face, how pitiful and sad it looked. Even while she was resting--the demon spirit--at least the memory of it, consumed her. She couldn't escape and it was even in her dreams.

'You cannot get rid of me, Ruki,' the evil spirit said in her mind, 'you need me. You still have a job to do. You vowed not to rest until every man on earth is dead and now you sleep. There are men out there that you need to destroy, Ruki. You cannot sleep now! I will not let you rest easy!'

Ruki's forehead beaded with sweat and she tossed her head side to side. Feeling a deep sense of sympathy and compassion, Jenrya began to stroke her hair and her face, shushing her slightly. This seemed to help a little, for she sighed and started to calm down.

"It's all right now, Ruki," he said softly. "You need to rest. The evil spirit is gone. Juri exorcise it for you. You're safe now." He bent down and kissed her forehead. Watching her sleep, he stood by her side for a while and made sure she was sleeping sound. Then he left her alone to sleep. To himself, he said, "I think I've just fallen in love."

Jenrya walked out of the room and he passed Juri. With questions on his mind, he went toward her.

"Juri?" he asked.

"Oh, hello, Jenrya," she said with a smile. She had just returned from her storage cellar and was trying to handle a large crate. "Can you help me with this?"

"Absolutely," he took the crate from her.

"Are you feeling better? Perhaps you should eat something before you rest."

"But I just rested," he reminded.

"True, but it has been a long, trying night for all of us." She sighed. "I decided to get more food and supplies. Everyone must be hungry and tired."

"Ruki most of all," he mumbled.

"Hmm?"

"I was wondering, Juri," Jenrya began, "how strong is the card you used to exorcise the evil spirit?"

"How do you mean?"

"Will it be permanent? Can the evil spirit come back?"

"It can if she keeps anger and hate in her heart," Juri replied. "That is why it went to your sister after it came from Ruki's body. Shuichon had hate for Ruki."

"Impossible. She doesn't hate anyone. She's just a little girl."

"Maybe, but that little girl almost lost her brother tonight."

"You think maybe the demon is still within Ruki?" he asked.

"No. It's gone," Juri said. "We all saw it leave her body but her memory still has him in her head. She still might anger in her heart and want to kill again." Juri sighed, as if she felt guilty. "I rid the demon inside her, but not the hate. That I cannot do for her. Ruki has to do it for herself. She has to want to feel better and have love in her heart. I'm sorry, I wish there was something more I could do."

"You've done enough already by destroying that demon," Jenrya put his hand on her. "But I'm concerned about Ruki. How is she supposed to work with us if she's angry?"

"I'm afraid I do not have any answers for you, Jenrya." Juri answered with a sigh. "I suppose what we can only do is wait and assure Ruki that we are on her side."

Jenrya nodded, "You're right."

They heard noises of breaking glass and angry voices downstairs. Juri groaned and rolled her eyes. "Not another fight. It's too late in the night for this!"

"I'll help you break it up," he volunteered.

"Thank you."

****

THERE'S SOMETHING INSIDE ME THAT PULLS BENATH THE SURFACE

CONSUMING/CONFUSING

THIS LEACK OF SELF CONTROL I FEAR IS NEVER-ENDING

CONTROLLING/I CAN'T SEEM

"So, did you collect your reward?" Ryo demanded the two bounty hunters as they counted their money over some ale and food.

"I thought you were resting," Kenta said.

"I couldn't rest much knowing what you two did."

Hirokazu groaned and stood up, "We did what we had to."

"Anything for money, right?" Ryo sneered.

"That's not it," Kenta said quietly. "We're not in the business for money."

"You don't care about the people you're after are you? Dead or alive, just as long as you get your reward. You bounty hunters make me sick!"

"It's because of us that you're still alive!" Hirokazu shouted. "We saved a lot of people. Do you know how many outlaws are out there? Midnight Fox was the worst. She killed thousands of men and you were almost one of them!"

"You've got it wrong," Ryo said, "She didn't attack me with her claw, I pushed myself into it!"

"You did what?" Kenta asked, "why?"

"You're insane! You let her almost kill you?"

"I had to make her see," Ryo said. "She was about to get me and instead of just standing there or fighting back, I embraced her. And it worked. It opened her eyes and she was fine until you two came along and attacked her!"

"Maybe it worked," Hirokazu snarled, "but she had a demon in her for heaven's sake! It took her over. She's unstable! Don't you understand? You'd be dead if it weren't for us! Show some gratitude!"

"You--" Ryo grabbed Hirokazu's collar and Hirokazu did the same.

"Hirokazu, no!" Kenta cried, trying to hold him back.

Jenrya grabbed Ryo from behind, trying to restrain him and a Juri used a card to put an invisible block between the two men.

"Stop it both of you!" Juri ordered. "I have enough fights in my bar!"

"What is going on here?" Jenrya demanded.

"They attacked Midnight Fox!" Ryo replied angrily. "They only did it for the money!"

"We had to!" Hirokazu snapped. "We're bounty hunters, it's our job!"

"Please try to understand, Ryo," Kenta said, "we were only trying to help and we didn't just do it for the money. It's about honor."

"Honor," Ryo grunted. "How did you find her? You were just waiting to get her, weren't you?"

"See the man behind you?" Hirokazu demanded.

"Who are you?" Ryo turned around and Jenrya let go of him. With Juri's block between Hirokazu and Ryo, he didn't have to restrain him anymore.

"I'm Jenrya. I also had an encounter with Midnight Fox." Jenrya replied. "She attacked me first and I supposed my sister heard me or maybe her animal friends brought her to me."

"What?"

"My sister has an ability to speak with animals," Jenrya explained. "Midnight Fox always kills the woman who protects the man first, so Midnight Fox turned on my sister when she tried to protect me. Before she killed her, I threw myself in between them to save my sister."

The three men gasped and Juri looked over at Jenrya in surprise. "Oh my," she whispered.

"That sounds a lot like what I did," Ryo said. "But I don't understand. It should've stopped her."

"Midnight Fox is too powerful," Jenrya told him. "You should've known that. You were gladiators together. She had a demon inside of her and even if it did move her, the demon could empower her mind. What you did opened her eyes for a short moment but I know that her demon was commanding that she finished you. She paused before killing me, but she was going to kill me. She would have if my sister didn't stop her."

"So it was your sister that told these two where to find her," Ryo said, nodding to Hirokazu and Kenta.

"Shuichon," Kenta said. "Where is she?"

"Sleeping," Jenrya replied.

Ryo let out a sigh. "I don't understand."

"You also owe her a thank you," Hirokazu said. "She helped save your life. If it wasn't for her, we never would've found you in time."

"Why did you become bounty hunters? For money?"

"Enough about the money!" Hirokazu exclaimed. "We are not like all the bounty hunters out there. Yes, we like getting paid but there is something about us you don't understand. We were victims of injustice all our life. From the time we could remember, Kenta and I had to fight to survive. Invaders came into our village almost every day, taking away everything we owned and killing whoever fought first. They'd just kill anyone. Kenta and I had to hide in a small alley every time they attacked and we could do nothing but watch. One day we became blood brothers." Hirokazu held up his palm. "And it kept us alive. When we got older, we ran away from our village. We eventually found Huyo Masuda and stopped him. We became part of the Raiden Bounty Hunter Guild and we're the best bounty hunters out there. Kenta and I don't like to kill, so we try to capture the outlaw alive. Listen, we didn't know what Midnight Fox was doing with you in the river but we knew you were in danger. She could've been hiding your body and feed you to the fish. We weren't going to wait to find out what she had planned. We couldn't' stand by and watch anymore. WE had to do something, so we shot her. You understand now? That is why we're bounty hunters. We we've stood by and watched our own village in trouble as young boys but now we're men and we're not going to watch anymore."

Ryo let out a groan.

"We were especially concerned about you because, well, you're the gladiator king." Kenta shrugged. "We've heard so much about you. You were an inspiration to us."

Ryo smiled. "Then, I suppose I owe you an apology as well."

"We understand," Kenta said. "You told us you loved her."

"And I didn't really like attacking her either," Hirokazu said. "I hate fighting women!"

"And thank you."

Juri set down the block and Hirokazu shook hands with them. "Gentlemen, please, it's been a long night. Have something to eat and get some rest."

"What about what Alice told us?" Jenrya asked.

"Who's Alice?" Hirokazu questioned.

"We will talk about that in the morning." Juri said. "We can sure use the rest."

****

When Jenrya left Ruki alone, the demon was still talking to her, trying to get her to wake up. The sheets were wet from her sweat and she moaned and whimpered through the night. 'Please, go away. I can't fight anymore.'

"I thought you hated men, Ruki."

'I do.'

"So destroy them!"

'I can't. I'm too tired to fight.'

"Kill them!"

'I do hate men but I don't want to kill them anymore. Can't I just hate them? Isn't that enough?"

'It doesn't do anything. Hate is a feeling and you have to act upon it. Do something about it!'

TO FIND MYSELF AGAIN

MY WALLS ARE CLOSING IN

[WITHOUT A SENSE OF CONFIDENCE AND I'M CONVIENCED

THAT THERE'S TOO MUCH PRESSURE TO TAKE]

I'VE FELT THIS WAY BEFORE

SO INSECURE

'You're confusing me.' Ruki sent. She could feel its coldness. She was having a nightmare that she was in a cell, but it was not like the cell she was in while imprisoned. The cell she was in after she captured was small with bricks and a metal gate. But this cell was much smaller and the walls were moving in on her. On the walls were very frightening paintings of her as Midnight Fox grinning at her. The walls were also stained with blood and there were corpses in with her. Dead men that she had killed and she was about to be locked in within for all eternity.

'I don't understand. Isn't there something else I can do but kill them? I've killed so many. Even good men. I could've killed two others tonight.'

"Why care for them?"

'I don't. But others do. That one brother threw himself between his sister and me to protect her.'

"You were going to get him anyway. He made it easier for you."

'I was and he did. But--his sister--she was so sad.'

"Do you feel pity for her?"

'No.'

"Pity is weak."

'I know it is. I didn't pity her. I just thought it was sad.'

"You should've finished her off."

'Maybe…but that would've been wrong.'

"You gave her time to grieve and get stronger. You're letting up, Ruki. You fought her but you could've killed her easily and you missed the chance. You are too soft!"

'Stop it! Just let me sleep! I am so tired!'

"No rest for the weary, Ruki. No rest for the evil."

'I am not evil. But I am weary.'

"You are evil. You are a part of me."

'I don't want to be a part of you!' she shouted mentally in her sleep as she turned on her side. 'Leave me! Why don't you leave me?'

'I will not leave. You still have anger and hate inside of you. Think of what you can do with that hate! You have already started! Why quite now? You are so close!"

'Get someone else to do it!' she thought. 'I am through with you! Through! You made me do things that I couldn't control. I want to be in control. I want you to leave! The card mage removed you from my body, why are you still here?'

"The card mage removed me, but not the hate inside of you. I can still communicate with you. Until you let go of that hate, I will stay with you forever!"

'Then I will rid myself of all hate!' she thought.

"You can't do that."

'I can and I will!'

"How? You do not love men!"

'I don't have to. I'll just stop hating them. I'll learn to appreciate them. There are two good men that I almost killed today. I'll start with them.'

"It won't be easy for you, Ruki!"

'It might not, but I have to try. Let me sleep! I need to rest! LEAVE ME NOW!"

The demon's voice started to drift far away.

"Ruki--what are you doing?"

'Ryo has always loved me! If it weren't' for you then maybe I would've felt the same way! If he is dead, I'll…'

"You'll what, Ruki?"

'I will fight you and all demons like you! I just want to be left alone'

"I won't leave you alone! You need me!"

'I don't need you! I don't need anyone. I can get fine on my own. I've done it before without your help, you demon! GO AWAY and let me SLEEP!'

"No! Ruki, you cannot get rid of me that easily!" his voice got softer and softer as he yelled at her but she didn't listen to him. She needed to rest. Soon, she was resting. She dreamed again but she was no longer in the cell but standing over a creek seeing herself. Her reflection changed from as she looked at that moment, to when she was a little girl, to when she became a gladiator and then Midnight Fox.

The demon was gone forever. She ended her hate but she was still confused. She was the gladiator queen and the assassin midnight fox. They were great titles. The demon spirit might have left her body and mind and memory, but it wasn't the thing that plagued her mind. It was herself and the kind of woman she used to be. But there was a problem-- a great problem indeed.

Who was she now?

DISCOMFORT, ENDLESSLY HAS PULLED ITSELF UPON ME

DISTRACTING/REACTING

AGAINST MY WILL I STAND BESIDE MY OWN REFLECTION

IT'S HAUNTING HOW I CAN'T SEEM…

TO FIND MSYELF AGAIN

M WALLS ARE CLOSING IN

WITHOUT A SENSE OF CONFICENCE AND I'M ONVICNCE

THAT THERE'S JUST TOO MUC PRESSURE TO TAKE}

I'VE FELT THIS WAY BEFORE

SO INSECURE